Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
VII has my favorite overall soundtrack just because there is so much variety and a lot of it doesn't take itself too seriously (Don Corneo's theme always makes me smile). Some of the tracks just have a really nice ambiance to them, and it's the only entry in the series except for maybe VI where I can basically think of any point in the game and remember it's theme right away. It's doubly impressive considering that they were all pretty crappy midi files, and hearing modern remakes of some of the songs really hammers home how amazing the score was.

VIII has a few stand-outs (the intro, Edea's theme, the music from the Centra Ruins and even Triple Triad), but overall it's kind of bland and even grating in places to me.

IX has some of my all-time favorite tracks (Beatrix' theme, Jesters of the Moon, and Not Alone are just amazing) but they are mixed in with a lot of forgettable music that just kind of blends into the background.

VI I remember mostly out of nostalgia, so it's hard for me to really judge the music on it's own merits but I feel like it's pretty strong overall.

Aside from those, none of the other soundtracks in the series really stand out all that much to me. I still need to listen to XIII's eventually, since I don't have a PS3. I wish they'd just put them all up on Steam or something, because I haven't had a chance to play any new FF after IX.

quote:

It's only a problem if you're fanatically against different rules changing up the gameplay in any way. I really liked the regionalised feel to Triple Triad, especially lategame when nobody can conceivably beat your stating hand of GF/Face characters on normal rules.

I feel like we played totally different games or something. The regional rules were kind of cool on their own, but at the end of the game when you are trying to play people in the Ragnarok or go challenge the Queen of Cards, it is not even remotely fun. "Oh, how about we play with Random, Elemental, No Open, Direct, and Plus Combos!" Yeah gently caress that. It just turned into a jumble of the worst possible rules unless you went out of your way to spread the good ones and eliminate the bad ones.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If there was one thing I did like about VIII, it was the music, especially the theme that played whenever you were in a Garden.

And the fact that there was a fully voiced song out of nowhere was really great.

But screw that game. Left a sour taste after how much I enjoyed VII. I picked up IX and ill start that whenever. Hopefully it's better, but it would have be downright offensive for me to dislike more than VIII.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Great Lakes Log posted:

If there was one thing I did like about VIII, it was the music, especially the theme that played whenever you were in a Garden.

And the fact that there was a fully voiced song out of nowhere was really great.

But screw that game. Left a sour taste after how much I enjoyed VII. I picked up IX and ill start that whenever. Hopefully it's better, but it would have be downright offensive for me to dislike more than VIII.

If I factor in the nostalgia I have for VII and VI, IX is probably my favorite in the series. You can just really tell the team put their hearts into it. My only complaints are that the battle system feels a bit slow and the minigames are total poo poo, but the rest of the game is amazing. Miles ahead of VIII, at least, and I'm one of the weirdos that didn't think VIII was even that terrible. Definitely a weak link in the franchise, but I still had fun with it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You can't call the mini games poo poo when Hot and Cold exists.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Honey Badger posted:

If I factor in the nostalgia I have for VII and VI, IX is probably my favorite in the series. You can just really tell the team put their hearts into it. My only complaints are that the battle system feels a bit slow and the minigames are total poo poo, but the rest of the game is amazing. Miles ahead of VIII, at least, and I'm one of the weirdos that didn't think VIII was even that terrible. Definitely a weak link in the franchise, but I still had fun with it.

I will fight you if you don't appreciate Chocobo Hot and Cold. :colbert:

I really like VIII too, but that may be nostalgia since it was my very first.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

OK I forgot Hot and Cold, which is actually pretty drat good. FFIX's card game, Hippaul Racing, and that godawful jumprope "game" can go to hell, though.

edit: And to be fair, I think the mini-games in most FFs have been pretty awful. VII had a couple tolerable ones but the majority were poo poo. VIII's card game was actually a lot of fun if the rules weren't too crazy (no idea about the Pocketstation stuff, maybe someone else can weigh in on that). I haven't played it yet but I hear nothing but bad things about Blitzball in X. VI had that moogle cave thing, which barely qualifies and wasn't anything special to begin with.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 15, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So I just got the slot machine fragment in XIII-2. Took me all of 20 minutes and I had more tokens when I finished than when I started due to a lucky 5,000 token jackpot. :smug:

Also, Final Fantasy IX has the best individual Final Fantasy tracks, but I think VIII's soundtrack as a whole has stayed with me the most over the years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

When FFXIV came out, it was an absolute disaster, and the good director was brought in to redo the entire game from scratch, and effectively halting development on all major games besides the FFXIII sequels. Meanwhile, the poo poo director was put back on FFXI, and made it bad again.

Just think, when FF14's done the poo poo guy will probably be put back on it instead of fired and blacklisted from ever working on RPGs or MMOs ever again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vadun posted:

Is FF13 easy to pick back up after a long hiatus? I'm on chapter 12 and want to just blow through the rest of the game. Don't remember at all how to play

You know, I picked the game back up last week after 1 year away to the day. I'm having no problem, though I was only about halfway through chapter 11.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Honey Badger posted:

I feel like we played totally different games or something. The regional rules were kind of cool on their own, but at the end of the game when you are trying to play people in the Ragnarok or go challenge the Queen of Cards, it is not even remotely fun. "Oh, how about we play with Random, Elemental, No Open, Direct, and Plus Combos!" Yeah gently caress that. It just turned into a jumble of the worst possible rules unless you went out of your way to spread the good ones and eliminate the bad ones.

That's because the Queen ignores all the rules as they are and uses whichever ones she wants, which is all the bad ones and Elemental. The CC Club on Ragnarok just use the same rules as various areas, so if you're getting the bad ones there then, yeah, that's really your fault but at least you can spread and eliminate on Ragnarok. But by then, it's a non-issue and the only CC Club person worth playing is Diamond and even that's just to regain otherwise unique stuff you modded. Disc 4 Triple Triad is pretty much just there for grinding junction abilities, and it doesn't even hide it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just think, when FF14's done the poo poo guy will probably be put back on it instead of fired and blacklisted from ever working on RPGs or MMOs ever again.

That producer doesn't even work there anymore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromichi_Tanaka due to health reasons.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

That's because the Queen ignores all the rules as they are and uses whichever ones she wants, which is all the bad ones and Elemental. The CC Club on Ragnarok just use the same rules as various areas, so if you're getting the bad ones there then, yeah, that's really your fault but at least you can spread and eliminate on Ragnarok. But by then, it's a non-issue and the only CC Club person worth playing is Diamond and even that's just to regain otherwise unique stuff you modded. Disc 4 Triple Triad is pretty much just there for grinding junction abilities, and it doesn't even hide it.

From what I remember the Queen's rules on Disc 4 are determined by how you handled her quest up until that point, while the CC club is determined by their region before disc 4. However, the game doesn't tell you either of these things and unless you go into it with a guide / know about it beforehand, it's incredibly easy to screw yourself over to the point of being unable to ever win the card game again. The game is so easy that it's not really a big deal at all, but it's still kind of annoying and it's definitely not something a player should be expected to figure out through normal means.

I mean nowadays anyone playing the game has probably beaten it a dozen times, but when it came out it was pretty obnoxious how complicated the card rules mechanic was. It took quite a few years for fans to figure out how exactly the entire RNG system worked and how to abuse it.

If you didn't go into the game with a plan ready on how you wanted to spread and abolish rules, it was extremely easy to spread really crappy rules all over the place and not have any way to get rid of them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ohtsam posted:

That producer doesn't even work there anymore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromichi_Tanaka due to health reasons.
Yeah, he's over at GungHo now, and hopefully they aren't letting him anywhere near Puzzle & Dragons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, The Gloaming and KH2's final boss for sure. I guess I just like a little more instrument diversity.
Which part of KH2's final boss? There were three parts to that whole sequence and the song changed for each one. The very last fight in White Void Land was pretty heavy on the organ, but the first two parts were pretty frantic and well-done. And I think going overboard on the 'menace' kinda worked for that last fight, since the idea was Riku and Sora being outmatched and only winning due to ~teamwork~ and ~friendship~.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Which part of KH2's final boss? There were three parts to that whole sequence and the song changed for each one. The very last fight in White Void Land was pretty heavy on the organ, but the first two parts were pretty frantic and well-done. And I think going overboard on the 'menace' kinda worked for that last fight, since the idea was Riku and Sora being outmatched and only winning due to ~teamwork~ and ~friendship~.

Y'know, I was gonna say "the one with the pretentious Latin title" but then I realized that doesn't really narrow poo poo down :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

:allears: This. :allears:

Actually just started paying attention to the development of FF14 again recently, though, and it's surprising how compelling it's actually starting to look.

However, they've already sold out of the boxed collector's edition in the US. I need my loving art book. :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The White Dragon posted:

Y'know, I was gonna say "the one with the pretentious Latin title" but then I realized that doesn't really narrow poo poo down :v:

The thing about KH is that nothing will ever be as pretentious as assuming you care more about their Original Characters Do Not Steal than you do about all those movies you loved as a kid. They could have easily have gotten in another movie if they didn't get up their own asses with their stupid animu characters and their stupid bullshit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mazed posted:

:allears: This. :allears:

Actually just started paying attention to the development of FF14 again recently, though, and it's surprising how compelling it's actually starting to look.

However, they've already sold out of the boxed collector's edition in the US. I need my loving art book. :argh:

I can't hear that song and not hear the similarities to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvdAJYvofI

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't hear that song and not hear the similarities to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvdAJYvofI

Holy poo poo now I can't either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

The thing about KH is that nothing will ever be as pretentious as assuming you care more about their Original Characters Do Not Steal than you do about all those movies you loved as a kid. They could have easily have gotten in another movie if they didn't get up their own asses with their stupid animu characters and their stupid bullshit.

I think the thing is that there are people who care more about the Original Characters Do Not Steal.

To use an example from another franchise, Super Robot Wars is a game franchise about anime robots crossing over and fighting and poo poo, and it also has Original Characters. They got so popular that they literally have games which are nothing but the original characters crossing over.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the thing is that there are people who care more about the Original Characters Do Not Steal.

To use an example from another franchise, Super Robot Wars is a game franchise about anime robots crossing over and fighting and poo poo, and it also has Original Characters. They got so popular that they literally have games which are nothing but the original characters crossing over.

Strangely enough, the best original character in Super Robot Wars wasn't even in any of the standard SRW titles, but an original character for a game about original characters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, I'm sure that the SRW games also avoid paying out the rear end for the dozens of licenses with the OG games.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

I think I just got a new exhibit A for "Japan has terrible taste."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

People who like different things from me have terrible taste, and I will now cast this on an entire country.

EDIT: Also all three parts of the Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Boss theme are called "Darkness of the Unknown,' just with a 'part 1/2/3' at the end. it's pretentious, but it ain't latin! :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Actually I believe he's retired from SquareEnix.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZ3MGAZgMU

I can't believe its not Shimomura

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

FF14 2.0 is gonna be loving awesome.

It makes me angry seeing stuff about FF14 Rising or whatever because it actually legitimately looks really cool, but I also don't have the time to play an MMO anymore. I'm at the age where I have the money to buy new games I want to play but not the time to play them all

Plus paying $15 a month

Bland posted:

I wouldn't say I can recognise any composer just by listening to music from games they've worked on but Shimomura is an exception because she's so distinctive. Here's three battle themes by her that I think sum up her style on the Mario & Luigi/Kingdom Hearts games.

And some town themes

Oh man town themes. The KH towns have awesome music, I remember falling asleep while playing KH1 because Traverse Town was so soothing :shobon:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like someone said, "I want the most generic boss theme you can give me. With the vocals being mostly drowned out by the orchestra."

To be fair, they did it in the sequel too, but actually managed to make it sound decent.

That and Bart's theme is just so constant and droning. There is no real change in instruments or the general pattern of the song and it's honestly just a horrible mess. That second one...I don't how to describe this, but it tries to alternate and tries to have each part do a different thing. That's the best I can do, I'm not a music person :v:

It's the reason I like the Trauma Center Final Boss themes: Vulnerability and Severing the Chains of Fate
They both have two very different sections that alternate between each other and as such neither of them become monotonous.

The other problem with Bart's theme is that it doesn't get you...pumped I guess? You don't go gently caress YEAH LET'S PUNCH rear end in a top hat POPE IN THE FACE! Unlike StCoF, which gets you pumped for a fast-paced boss. And that's in a surgery game for god's sake.

On an unrelated note: Pandemic (AKA Rosalia's Thorns) is a kick-rear end song that plays during what is easily the most intense, nail-biting mission in the game and boy does it show. Those bee violins are super weird, but weirdly they work SUPER WELL. Though, I guess I say that knowing the background behind the mission.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Honey Badger posted:

OK I forgot Hot and Cold, which is actually pretty drat good. FFIX's card game, Hippaul Racing, and that godawful jumprope "game" can go to hell, though.

edit: And to be fair, I think the mini-games in most FFs have been pretty awful. VII had a couple tolerable ones but the majority were poo poo. VIII's card game was actually a lot of fun if the rules weren't too crazy (no idea about the Pocketstation stuff, maybe someone else can weigh in on that). I haven't played it yet but I hear nothing but bad things about Blitzball in X. VI had that moogle cave thing, which barely qualifies and wasn't anything special to begin with.

If Blitzball had been spun off into a standalone game with multiplayer I would have bought it.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Dross posted:

If Blitzball had been spun off into a standalone game with multiplayer I would have bought it.

It's more fun if you manage to build a really good team.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nickname Pending posted:

It's more fun if you manage to build a really good team.

Or if you know that the AI is so sloppy that they can literally never grab the ball from you if you hide behind the goal.

It is more fun because it means you get to spend less time playing it.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I just chose a team that was literally never beaten and I breezed through it to get Wakka's legendary weapon poo poo.

Now the story game where you face the Luca Goers was bullshit. Your team can't do poo poo, especially that fatass goalie. I know you don't have to win the game, but it's so much more satisfying, so I would always reset until I finally won.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Or if you know that the AI is so sloppy that they can literally never grab the ball from you if you hide behind the goal.

It is more fun because it means you get to spend less time playing it.

That's no way to get the "Top Scorer" for three of your guys in every tournament/league. :colbert:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nickname Pending posted:

I just chose a team that was literally never beaten and I breezed through it to get Wakka's legendary weapon poo poo.

Now the story game where you face the Luca Goers was bullshit. Your team can't do poo poo, especially that fatass goalie. I know you don't have to win the game, but it's so much more satisfying, so I would always reset until I finally won.

If you get Jecht Shot from the cutscene right before that I don't see how you can possibly lose.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dross posted:

If you get Jecht Shot from the cutscene right before that I don't see how you can possibly lose.
Keepa does really suck, but if you just resign yourself to winning 1-0 you're fine with Jecht Shot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Honey Badger posted:

VII was packed with minigames, some with better gameplay than its own. I think I've spent more hours at the Gold Saucer playing G-Bike than Chocobo Racing, and I remember the snowboarding game being stupid popular too. (Probably because Cool Boarders 2 was the best snowboarding on the market at the time.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Keepa does really suck, but if you just resign yourself to winning 1-0 you're fine with Jecht Shot.

I vaguely remember Keepa sucking so bad at a goalie but having decent stats as a forward so I popped him out of the goal and into the offense and that worked ok.

That and I spammed Jecht Shot because seriously gently caress doing it legit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dross posted:

By not getting the ball at the kickoff because you'll never steal it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dross posted:

You get one shot with it, in the second half of the game. If Tidus got enough EXP to level up to be able to use it (more likely than not, but it's possible he won't hit level 3). Even then you're on a stricter time limit than usual because partway through, Wakka gets subbed in. The Jecht Shot doesn't make it guaranteed, it just makes it possible.