Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Maybe later - Bit Trip Runner : Much like Super Meat Boy and VVVVVVVV to me. Fun, but I'm terrible at them. Liked it, and like the music, but I'm really really bad at this type of thing. Games shouldn't make me swear so much. Scares the cat. Will likely break this back out someday, play it for a bit, and think "Ohhhh yeah. That's why I uninstalled it."
You ought to give Runner 2 a try, it has difficulty levels from 'easy' to 'hard' and, most importantly, optional checkpoints. Makes for a much more chill experience.

BEAT: Cryostasis

Watched an LP of this ages ago, and I surprisingly remembered a lot of stuff about it when I finally sat down to play it. It's linear, the combat's clunky and there's not very many enemy types, and half of the weapons you find are made obsolete fairly quickly. Still, I dig the atmosphere and the setting, and it throws in the perfect amount of crazy-rear end Eastern European developer nonsense at the end. I'd probably be just as well off having only watched the LP, but I had fun with it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Dishonored (Steam) - Beat: This game is good but gently caress the chaos system. I definitely wanted the good ending and while non-lethal isn't a horrible way to play through the game it still sucks that you've got all these cool weapons, gadgets and powers but you're not allowed to use them. I was going to do a second run and go hog-wild this time but having already finished the sidequests and seen most of the content I got bored very quickly.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (Steam) - Completed: It's stupid fun but also a buggy piece of poo poo. The combat system is great and 64-player battles are a blast, a silly mess of shouts and insults and blood and carnage. But my weapon unlock progress was only reliably tracked on the smaller official servers so I went there instead, and by the time I was done grinding kills I was already kinda spent. I still play now and then.

Rock of Ages (Steam) - Beat: That was a nice diversion for what it's worth. I would have liked it more if they had separated defense and offense into their own phases. As it is I set up traps and then I can't see them at work because I already have to focus on my own charge.

Metal Gear (PS3) - Beat: Currently playing through the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection in chronological order of release. Boy this game is old. It's nice and simple enough but I doubt I would have finished it without a walkthrough. Really I'm after the Solid series so I'm just playing through the first two games for completeness sake, with a guide at hand.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (PS3)
Surgeon Simulator 2013 (Steam)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh man, I beat the original Metal Gear for the first time a few weeks ago. I thought the first half was very well done for a 1987 game and was enjoying myself until I hit the second building and the dev team went batshit insane. There are so many instant death pitfalls, traps, and ambushes around every corner. It makes sense from a story perspective (Big Boss is deliberately leading you around by the nose) but the elevator checkpoint system makes the entire thing frustrating. Then you also have Jessica, a required character who won't help you unless you rescued all the hostages and has to be called in two specific screens with no indication, and the last half of the game is a frustrating mess.

Then there's the one song that plays throughout the entire game. gently caress. This. Song.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gotten through a couple games.

Beaten: Rogue Legacy. Bum-rushed the bosses, beat it in about 11 hours through abuse of the Architect. Very fun game, though, so once it's been a while, I'll probably jump back in for the NG+ and completion. Just... it's a game that's good in small doses.

Nulled: Scribblenauts Unlimited. A fun game, but the campaign is just so trite and dull, I don't feel like being obligated to force it to be entertaining to go through it.

Moved to Multiplayer: MtG:DotP14 I caved, and spent the $10 to unlock all the decks because I don't have either the time or the will to play 30 games with each deck just to be able to make them play like I want. Now I play online when I wanna play online Magic, but not shell out $50 to be competitive in MtG:O.

I'm probably gonna take another crack at They Bleed Pixels and Uplink next.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - McPixel: This game was not at all what I was expecting. It reminded me of a WarioWare game, but with even more inane solutions and way too many fart jokes. I don't know why I 100%'ed the game, but I did. All regular levels, bonus levels, and DLC levels. I'm pretty sure I've gone crazy.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Beaten - Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. I'd actually been tracking my backlog starting in November 2010, though I didn't start actively playing stuff in this thread until February 2011. Nowhere in that entire span of games has anything captured me as hard as this did. I spent six weeks with this as pretty much my only game of record. It's brutal and unforgiving, and lets you return the favor. It's full of griefers and infused with the kindness of strangers. Every good thing said about it is deserved. Every bad thing said about it is deserved. It is amazing and I don't know when I'll be able to match the experience I had playing it. After seventy hours (which bypassed basically all the optional areas), "more of the same" won't be that thing. I haven't felt like this since I beat SpaceChem.

On Deck - I can't face Borderlands 2 so quickly after Dark Souls, but some friends want to do co-op with it. I think Antichamber is going to be my palate cleanser.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: Mark of the Ninja

I feel this game has a lot of enjoyable mechanics and a decent amount of variation in terms of how you want to play it, as well as a few different paths through the maps that you can take, but those cool things only just manage to edge out my distaste for the "snap-to" walls/ledges controls. This game could've been so incredibly smooth and not-janky, and prospectively it ought to be since you're playing as a ninja, but I would consistently find myself in positions where I was bumbling in and out of cover because of the controls on walls and ledge. I don't think Klei has ever made a game with platforming elements where it's felt completely "right" to me. They got close with this, and I'm not really sure what they could've done to make it better, but honestly it still brings down my opinion of the game and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I could have.

Stealth kills are also remarkably boring and one-note, they're either one of two button combinations and while it happens control is taken away from the player so you can watch an animation of you killing the dude. I know it's a game where you're intended to avoid conflict for the most part, but it's another element that stood out as having potential to be much more visceral. This is also dumb nitpicky poo poo, but I've never liked the style that this game's artist uses, and the aesthetics of the game and its story don't do anything particularly original or interesting to make it stand out. It's all pretty bland right up until the very last level.

Overall it's a solid stealth game, but it didn't live up to the critical reception it's received, in my eyes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And for a dissenting opinion...

Mastered: Mark of the Ninja

This game is fantastic. I liked it enough to play it, then play it again on New Game +, and then play it a third time using the Path of Silence to get no kills/no alarms on every stage. It looks great, it controls buttery smooth, and it has a lot of scope for replaying; apart from the obvious (find all the secrets, optimize your score), there's also six Paths you can choose from, each one of which emphasizes a different style of gameplay, from pure pacifistic stealth to psychological warfare to in-your-face murder frenzy. With the sound cues and line of sight mechanics, especially in NG+, it's probably the closest you can get to feeling like a first person stealth game as a sidescroller.

Unlike Bobby, I didn't have any trouble with the platforming controls; I always went exactly where I wanted to go, and thought the controls were excellent. I do agree that the kill animations get a bit repetitive, but that wasn't enough to damage my enjoyment of the game, and neither were the QTEs for stealth kills. (I see what they were going for there, but it didn't quite work; they're very easy, and if you get one wrong it's either a complete non-issue or an immediate reload from checkpoint, depending on circumstances and playstyle.)

It is not a flawless game, but it is a very fun one with a lot of replayability and caters well to both the "silently sneak past everyone" and "silently kill everyone and use their bodies as puppets to terrify the rest of the guards" schools of stealth. Highly recommended.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Beat Scribblenauts Unlimited. This was disappointing. Most of the puzzles are incredibly easy, with a handful of hard ones (but more due to incomprehensible jumps in logic than due to actually clever puzzle design), and very little in between. I can live with this though, since I'm way older than the target demographic and the whole playful edutainment angle is therefore lost on me. However, the game seems to have a reputation on the internet for allowing all sorts of wacky solutions, and I found it didn't live up to it at all. Whenever I tried something creative and out-of-the-box (which wasn't often, since most of the time I couldn't be bothered to try and circumvent the extremely obvious 'correct' solution), one of two things would happen: Either the game didn't understand my line of thinking and the hilarious scenario I had thought up ended with a character staring blankly at the item I had created, or (more often), the game would accept my solution without acknowledging that I had done something out of the ordinary. If the correct solution is to create item A, but creating the wildly inappropriate item B will also work, the game will react to either item in the exact same way, which makes me wonder why you'd even bother coming up with item B. And yes, solving a puzzle using a flaming zombie Cthulu is mildly entertaining, but only mildly, and only once.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So I posted in this thread around the time it started. Since then, we've seen several Steam Sales. I'd like to say that I was good all this time, but...

Yeah. That's 344 unbeaten games. Good Lord, what have I become?

There's no point in trying to clear it all out. At an average of 1 game per week, it would take me over 6.5 years, and that's assuming I don't buy anything new in that time. I suppose a more realistic goal is to clear just a small portion of it before buying anything new. Even 5% cleared would be progress. I can also place harder restrictions on what I buy, which is always tough around sales, but having looked at everything I have, I really have no business adding more on top of that unless it's something absolutely singular in its awesomeness. And even then it can probably wait.

There are also a few games that I really want to get around to beating (I might post these in the other backlog thread when I'm done playing my current games):

Civs III-V: I've played all but V, but I've actually never completed a single campaign on any of them. I hear they're all good, each in their own way.

Fallouts 1-3 + New Vegas: The whole series has eluded me. I've played bits and pieces of 3 but I've barely scratched the surface on the earlier ones.

Heroes of Might and Magic: I got the complete pack from GoG and I'd like to at least play one of these.

Master of Orion 1/2: Another classic 4X series that I haven't even touched. I guess I'm scared about playing these games.

Planescape: Torment: I should love this, but I'm afraid of the box art. :ohdear: Well, that and the supposedly dated interface.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Lump this one in with the other Sid Meier games I want to play.

Ultima: Same as HoMM. I'd like to play at least one of these games, but I don't know which will be the most gentle to me.

Baldur's Gate: Huge fantasy CRPG that I've had since I was literally a child. And I still haven't gotten past the third town.

Mass Effect 1-2: I got pretty far in 1 but then lost my save. I've never touched 2.

Total War series: I have Rome and Medieval II. I've played Rome a fair amount, but I've never completed a campaign.

Knights of the Old Republic II: Seeing how the first game absolutely blew me away (to the point where I actually finished it TWICE), I'm not sure why this one didn't grab me. I originally owned it on Xbox, so maybe the fan patches will iron out some of the creases.

The other games on my list are good, but don't feel like "must plays" at the moment. If I can get through the above games, my backlog might feel a bit more like an extended library of bargains I picked up, instead of a treasury of classics that I've just been sitting on all the time.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 15, 2013

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100 achievement games for this week:

Today is a special edition. First of all, it's sponsored by Fart of Presto who very generously gifted me this game a couple of months back. Thanks buddy!

Second, this game marks my 100th 100% on Steam!

Ultratron - Twin Stick shooter from puppygames. First couple of times I played the movement really bothered me. It's not smooth, but instead you move a fixed distance every 0.2s or whatever. The game is pretty nice overall though, once you get past level 40 the game starts looping and throwing multiple bosses at you at the same time but it's OK because you're super powerful. The upgrades are all pretty cool yet seem a little sparse compared to something like Nation Red which has about 100 of them. Neat game, currently 50% off in the summer sale.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
100% Completed The Walking Dead + 400 Days hey it's my first "perfect game".

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Ever put a bunch of hours into a game and then lose interest, but years later you decide to go back to it except you no longer have your save games or don't remember what was happening in the plot? And you have to replay all of those original hours?

That's happened to me multiple times now and so I'm going to really try to focus on playing games through (or nulling them if I know I'm done with them) and only be playing 2-3 at a time.

Also, here's my badge for the OP:

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2013

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just beat Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Went in not expecting much but I ended up really enjoying it, probably because of the goofy narration and live-action cutscenes. It's basically a playable episode of Night Springs from the original game. The controls are also much, much better in this.

Here's hoping we get more Alan Wake sometime in the future.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat Rogue Legacy two times through. Definitely a fun game though I question the usefulness of a few classes. Kinda wish it was more random and wacky so it'd have longer legs but I still had a good time with it.

Also beat Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Goddamn shoot mans GOTY right here. Fun as hell, story is told extremely well, has a decent amount of content and looks real nice. Go Techland??

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Beat Rogue Legacy two times through. Definitely a fun game though I question the usefulness of a few classes. Kinda wish it was more random and wacky so it'd have longer legs but I still had a good time with it.
Barbarian King for life! :black101:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well, that was quick.

Beaten - Antichamber. This was basically what I wanted Q.U.B.E. to be: a great big maze with block puzzles and block control powers that spin out of control at the slightest provocation, and where abuse of physics is an acceptable means to progress.

Firing up Borderlands 2 in the hope of being able to catch up with my friends. Cranked up to level 6 with Maya, I guess we'll see how this goes. It's still pretty jarring after Dark Souls.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat Dust: An Elysian Tale. drat good game despite the cheesy anime voiceovers and kinda bad looking character portraits. Combat never got old, lots to explore and it looks absolutely incredible. Highly recommended.

Also beat Surgeon Simulator 2013, or at least, I beat all of the non-ambulance operations. I can't do dick inside of an ambulance. What a neat and stupid game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think I finally figured out what bothers me about Rogue Legacy.

It feels like a flash game. Like a really good game that you'd play on Kongregate or wherever for free. It's great, absolutely amazing, but it feels... like it's not worth quite as much as they're asking for? If they release any DLC, I'll be snapping it up in an instant, just in the hope that it'll fill out the experience a bit more.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Just throwing this here: With the exception of Saints Row IV, after the Summer Sale ends, I will not buy a single game until the Winter one*. Let's see how I do.

*Obviously, eventual gifts don't count.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2013

mocridhe
Jan 19, 2012
I don't have anything constructive to add at the moment. I just think I maybe should register in this rehab club because OH MY GOD did I get a lot of new games. My backlog is so bloated.

I'm mocridhe and I have a 'must buy all the games'-addiction. :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

Just throwing this here: With the exception of Saints Row IV, after the Summer Sale ends, I will not buy a single game until the Winter one*. Let's see how I do.

*Obviously, eventual gifts don't count.

You know Steam has a Fall sale, right? One for each season. You cannot escape the sales, buy buy buy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

al-azad posted:

You know Steam has a Fall sale, right? One for each season. You cannot escape the sales, buy buy buy.

My resolution still stands!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
That's a good idea. I would join you, but I can't resist indie bundles. That's probably half my backlog right there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beat: Bioshock: Infinite

I had this 20 page document typed up but let me cut it down: I hated this game. I didn't like Columbia, I didn't like the characters, I didn't like the atmosphere. All that was left was the combat which is the least interesting aspect of the series. I must admit that the payoff in the end was pretty good but that's my only compliment and the only thing that kept me going.

I definitely recognize it as an above average game but the pacing and design just pissed me off and it stripped away everything I liked about the series. I was absolutely seething around the middle where Booker keeps comparing the Vox to Comstock, as if an oppressed people enacting a violent revolution are somehow the same as a vicious manipulator who's been killing people in secrecy for decades. But the ending justified this sudden hypocrisy coming from the main character.

Now onto the 19 other games I bought in the Steam Sale so far.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: The Swapper

Man, some of those last few puzzles really kick your rear end if you're not thinking with portals swappers. I'd also be lying if I said that by the end of it some of the pseudo-philosophical text wound up flying over my head while I was trying to process everything and keep the story/logs straight- I think it had to do with the language that was being used and some pretty heady plot dumps, and less that there was any explicitly difficult concepts to understand. But it kept me engaged the entire time, and the aesthetic enveloping the whole thing checked so many boxes for me. Swapper's not for everyone, but it was definitely for me.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Played: Torchlight 2

Aka "the game where I can't see poo poo". Everything in this game is so visually indistinct from each other that it is so hard to tell what's what and I got turned off really quick. Diablo 3 has it's own share of problems but at the very least I can see what the gently caress was going on.

Played: Sleeping Dogs

Plowed through the first few missions, already convinced this is GOTY material. Fantastic aesthetics and controls, Hong Kong was incredibly realized and runs waaaaaaay smoother than GTA 4 and SR3. Can only get better.

Played: Faster than Light

Gameplay is easy to learn and understand, and died horribly to an alien boarding party. I can see why people find this fun but unfortunately the genre isn't exactly my cup of tea. Will check back in the future, though.

Played: CS GO

Like CS Source, this is the perfect game when I just want to turn off my brain to shoot bots in the faces. Except with better graphics, of course.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
I just beat Bioshock 2. Twas a good game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Randallteal posted:

That's a good idea. I would join you, but I can't resist indie bundles. That's probably half my backlog right there.

My SO usually gifts me those bundles, so I'm hosed anyway. :smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whoops. I got Orcs Must Die 2 and Dishonored. And I was doing so well!

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: VVVVVV
Fun little game. I only died like 800 times in two hours.

Beat: The Walking Dead: 400 Days DLC
Not bad. I wish each story was longer.

Beat: Tomb Raider
Fun game. Her death scenes seemed kind of out of place, but not as big of a deal as people made it out to be.

Beat: The Swapper
Awesome atmosphere. A few of the puzzles were real tricky and you feel like you're a goddamn genius when you figure them out.

Beat: Gunpoint
Fantastic. Buy it! Everything it does, it does very well.

Beat: Deus Ex: The Missing Link DLC
Thanks for the gift, Tecman!
Good mission, but I think Mark of the Ninja kind of ruined stealth games for me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Beat: Crysis - It was nice to return to ye olde style of FPS where you had a lot of freedom of movement and enemies can actually be a challenge. The alien parts weren't that bad, but the game certainly did start to drag from that point on. The majority of the game was vast open terrains and fun tactics on military personnel though, thankfully. Overall I had fun throughout the game and it still blew me away compared to modern shooters today.

Beat: Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves - This game was fantastic and absolutely oozes with charm. I usually hate tower defense games, but this really played more like a survival game. I found the trap-planning puzzling thoughtful and the combat mechanics to be pretty engaging. The story is pretty cheesy in its folktale nature, and the cutscene animations are pretty laughably bad, but the music is awesome to shoot werewolves in the face to and the art makes it a pleasure to mess around in menus. I may revisit this game another time and try going through the story again using the other brother. I can't recommend this game enough.

Completed (Again): Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - This game was so bad rear end that I had to 200% it. :black101: I hex edited a file to reset all the garrisons (this was before they officially implemented the feature) and went about clearing all the garrisons again in varying ways. Sneaking around with a bow, utilizing blood dragons, crashing a jeep in from above and going in shotgun literally blazing. I don't think I mentioned how great the music is for this game either. The only downside was that the hex edit resulted in the first garrison bugging out and becoming null, so it's now impossible to reset it again. I think it's safe to shelf this game for now though.

Beat: Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield - Another venture back to ye old days of FPS. This game was great tactical fun, that is until I reached a mission called "Broken Stone" that I got stuck on forever. The mission involved terrorists planning to disperse nerve gas, with special "hazmat terrorists" that run to activate the dispersal devices. Problem is that your AI team won't shoot the hazmat terrorists because they're unarmed, and if you're seen or heard they tend to run to random places in the level to activate the dispersal machines. This mission frustrated me so much that I came close to nulling my first game. Then one day I had a random urge to give it one last shot and I managed to beat the mission on the first try, ending it by chasing down the last hazmat terrorist with a pistol. Had a massive sigh of relief once I seen the "Nerve gas dispersal prevented" at the top of the screen. The rest of the game was relatively a breeze and was fun again. I may revisit this game later and try to beat the Athena Sword expansion pack that came with it, but for now that one level has made me want to take a break from Rainbow Six for a bit.

Beat: Dirt 3 - I've been playing this game for a while now as my go-to game for rally racing. Only recently have I decided to bite the bullet and actually go through the career mode instead of just doing single rallies all the time. The career was alright, but the gymkhana and circuit racing events got pretty annoying. The constant forced voice overs got really annoying. The graphics were amazing and handling was fun, as a Dirt game usually is. I first started playing Dirt using an external camera with automatic transmission, and now after going through the career I can drive in cockpit with a manual transmission and I'm enjoying it that much more. I'll inevitably come back to this one for more rally racing, and I may try to complete all the extra "world tours" sometime, but for now this title is beat.

Beat: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - I picked this up when it went on sale last week and oh man is this game great. I never played the previous Call of Jaurez that flopped, but Gunslinger is an absolute blast. The game is a linear FPS but it really felt more like an arcade shooter (like Time Crisis) to me. That isn't to say that you're on rails (nor does it ever feel like you are), just that popping out from behind a barrel to shoot a bandit in the head feels like you're shooting that bandit with a light gun in an arcade. There are some beautiful environments in this game and some fun level designs too. The story telling is also fun and the art style works really well for the game, not only that, this game has fantastic music too! This is the best western game I've played since Sunset Riders. There's still a lot of different singleplayer game modes to play through with this one so I'll be sure to revisit it soon enough. I'm really enjoying this new trend of $15 big-budget games that are amazing.

Next up:
Dirt 2 - A temporary replacement for Dirt 3. I've probably played Dirt 2 more than I have Dirt 3, I just never beat it.
Sonic Generations - I was gifted the Sonic Hits collection, I figured this game would be a good place to start.
Darwinia - Another one of those games that I loved to play and praise, but never actually beat.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 20, 2013

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
BEAT:

Crysis and Crysis: Warhead: Lot's of fun, liked fighting the humans more than the aliens though. Would consider buying the sequels.

Doom 3 and Ressurection of Evil: Two of the worst pieces of garbage I've ever played. Maybe they were good when they came out but they sure as hell don't hold up now next to games like Crysis and Fear, etc. Every level is identical, and I'm pretty sure I was playing the same levels over again while I was doing the expansion pack but I'm not sure since EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME. Do not buy this.

Cryostasis: Everything about this game sucked except the story for me. Combat is awful.

Faerie Solitaire: Boring, got it in a bundle or something. Finished the story and uninstalled immediately.

Recettear: Why do people like this game? Buying and selling stuff is boring as hell, combat is terrible, dungeons are a slog, and having to redo a week or however long (which thankfully I only had to do once) really sucks.

Fortix: Fun little game, didn't take long at all.

Dinner Date: The hell did I just play?

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Better than Doom 3 but still terrible. At least the levels looked different. Only good part of this game is kicking people/monsters off of cliffs, etc.

INSTALLED

Freedom Force: Seems really buggy.

Borderlands 2: More fun than all the other games combined.

Fear 2: Not bad, more interested in the cinema scenes than the combat.

King's Bounty: Crossworlds: Great game, but I can't play through it all at once, need to take breaks.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 20, 2013

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
How do I set my list of games I'm currently playing in backloggery?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Lifetime77 posted:

How do I set my list of games I'm currently playing in backloggery?

Edit a game and check the "Now Playing" box down towards the bottom of the page.

Or, do the Fortune Cookie thing which will prompt you to add the randomly selected game to your Now Playing list.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
So I have Civ5 already from when it first came out. Should I buy the Gods and Kings DLC for 7.50 or skip that and grab Brave New World (full price 29.99)?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
BEAT:

To The Moon: Really good. Great premise and story. The ending was good even though I didn't think the memories of the real River should have been erased.

NULLED:

Surgeon Simulator: I gave this a brief try but the "bad controls" gimmick is just silly. Maybe fun to watch someone play it but certainly not fun for me to play.

Dungeon Defender: Exactly what it says on the tin. Looks cheap, plays cheaper.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
I started playing Antichamber today, and I'm loving it. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it tomorrow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Beaten some more games over the past few weeks.

McPixel: It's all right and pretty amusing at times, but doesn't really have much staying power. I did the minimum required to beat it.

Intrusion 2: Not a huge fan of side-scrolling shooters. I thought the controls were a bit floaty and weird. Boss fights were fun, though, which was surprising to me since I normally dislike boss fights.

Virtua Tennis 4: I liked this more than I thought I would, probably because I like tennis in general. Career mode is fun and there is a lot of variety to the playstyles you can choose. Got double bageled by Nadal at the French Open, no surprises there. I got 11.5 hours logged but think I'll probably play more of this.

Armed and Dangerous: This has been sitting in my library for maybe two years and I've finally gotten around to it. Unfortunately I hated it. It was trying way too hard to be funny and fell completely flat. A Scottish accent doesn't automatically make everything funny. The dialogue and jokes were awful, the cutscenes were too long and the actual gameplay sucked. I was disappointed as I kind of expected a cult classic.

Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures: Pretty good. I'd never seen any W&G stuff before so I didn't mind that the voice actor for Wallace wasn't the original, which many people apparently bemoaned upon release. I thought he did a good job. It's pretty standard pre-TWD TellTale stuff, good but unremarkable.

Mark of the Ninja: Very good as everyone already knows. I didn't like that each scroll had a specific text attached to it, cause if you skip some the story becomes very disjointed. I guess that's something subsequent playthroughs can tackle, though, filling in the details. I might go back to this cause I skipped a lot of challenge rooms.

Serious Sam 3: BFE: It's Serious Sam, which is fun. I didn't mind the early levels that much, even if they were corridors. I do think I should've paced myself better with this game. I did levels 1-9 in one day and by the end it became a real slog, wiping 200 enemies, moving on, wiping another 200 enemies, etc. etc. I really just wanted it to end at that point. Came back the next day and finished it, taking a break between each level, and it was much more fun. Two complaints: the indoor bits in the darkness with the spazzy enemies were awful, and there was not enough time with the cannon.

Critter Crunch: I'm not sure why I don't like this. It's technically good, and it's cute, but I just don't have fun when playing this at all, I get annoyed instead. Maybe if gems didn't vanish after a few seconds so you didn't have to rush to get them, or if the rate at which lines dropped was slightly slower, I would like it better. As it is, though, I'm at the last level of adventure mode and once I beat that I am uninstalling it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jehde posted:

Completed (Again): Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - This game was so bad rear end that I had to 200% it. :black101: I hex edited a file to reset all the garrisons (this was before they officially implemented the feature) and went about clearing all the garrisons again in varying ways. Sneaking around with a bow, utilizing blood dragons, crashing a jeep in from above and going in shotgun literally blazing. I don't think I mentioned how great the music is for this game either. The only downside was that the hex edit resulted in the first garrison bugging out and becoming null, so it's now impossible to reset it again. I think it's safe to shelf this game for now though.

Hold on, they added this feature? I was too lazy to Hex Edit both the original and blood dragon, but wanted to play around with Rex Colt some more. How do you access this so I can 300% this?