Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I just started The Black Company by Glen Cook. I love the straightforward style of storytelling. The first of the modern day gritty fantasy novels (mid 80s). I only plan on reading the first trilogy and The Silver Spike to wrap things up.

Then I'll either go back to old school high fantasy like Lord Dunsany or continue the gritty with The First Law Trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just started Duluth by Gore Vidal the other day. It's been fun so far: a socialite/author of popular romance books who can't read, an overwrought TV drama called "Duluth," a cop with a penchant for strip-searching and namedrops of everyone from Pynchon (as a mathematician) to Beowulf, the ideal family man. It's funny, but it's also pretty on the nose at times and some of the stuff with the female cop is, well, a little too out there for me.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

VideoTapir posted:

Now go read some lolicon rationalizations on reddit or whereever they're hanging out these days for a less literate version of the EXACT SAME THING.

When I started reading it, all I could think is "wait, I've seen all these arguments before...loving Internet!"

Haha, true enough, I suppose. Though I was hoping it would go without saying that fedorabeards aren't factored into my expectations for humane opinions. :v:

mnd posted:

Hey there Gardner buddy. I first read The Art of Fiction back about a decade ago and still re-read it from time to time. Like now, actually! Along with On Becoming a Novelist. They're good books on writing I like to turn back to every now and again.

I just found this thread and skipped to the end, so pardon me if you've said this earlier, but have you read his polemic On Moral Fiction? If not, I'd recommend it, if only because you like TAoF so far, and (secret reason) I'd be curious to know what you think of his arguments in that book.

I haven't read anything else by him yet. I went with this because it sounded like a decent starting point, and I'd only heard of him at first from one of my professors this year (granted, he used On Becoming a Novelist as his reference point for the class). I also don't own anything else by him yet. I know that there's some controversy about On Moral Fiction, and I'm certainly interested in reading it since I love books on fiction in general. Then again, I've also picked up a shitton of other books that I want to have read before I get back to school, including some things that I really should have read by now.

Like The Brothers Karamazov! I've already read C&P and loved it, and this one's pretty good too after most of the way through it. Though for some reason I find Mitya intensely annoying, moreso than even the worst people in C&P. I dunno, man.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 6, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Just started Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicles in English (since that means it's edited). So far I'm really enjoying it. I picked it up on recommendation of a friend that is really into Japanese modern literature.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just began reading Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman which (so far) is full of (sometimes witty) parenthetical asides (that, most of the time, are unnecessary).

Still, I've chuckled a few times so far, and it's a short read.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just picked up Money, by Martin Amis, so far, it reminds me a lot of Nick Cave's The Death of Bunny Monroe, which was a brilliant book, but took me a long time to actually sit down and finish. Seems good so far though!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just bought A Crack Up at the Race Riots by Harmony Korine after finding out he wrote a book since seeing Spring Breakers at the cinema and being blown away by it. I flipped through it and it definitely looks like his work, excited to get into it.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

I just started the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey and I'm really enjoying it. It's also the reason. I just bought the Shift Omnibus.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Embassytown by China Mieville. So far, I'm in love.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

Passed the half, and it hits right with me, a bit in the same vein that Among Others by Jo Walton (a mix of magic, mysticism, family stories and childhood).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Just started the last 40% of A Storm of Swords last night. Finally heading into uncharted territories. :getin:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Started the audiobook of The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, narrated by the author. Already brilliant.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Currently, I am re-reading through Inferno by Dan Brown. It's his fourth book starring the character from The DaVinci Code, and this one is actually pretty good. I like it a whole lot more than I did the other ones he did.

I like it because its like a reverse version of Angels and Demons, where they're trying to stay ahead of the plot in that one, but here they're trying to figure out where it left off and figure their way from there.

The basic plot is that the main character wakes up in a hospital in Florence with two days missing from his memory and he has to stop yet another insane plot using clues left behind by the main bad guy, this time using clues inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy, specifically Inferno.

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

An average crustacean one day blessed with incredible powers!
Picked up the entire Foundation trilogy for $3 at a Half-Priced Books near my house. Just about finished with the first book and already salivating for book 2.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I just picked up The Long Earth by Pratchett/Baxter, this will be my first book of Pratchett's that I have read (Won't be the last I'm sure). I'm several chapters in already and I am really digging it, a co-worker recommended it to me after hearing that I enjoy Douglas Adams books.

If I really enjoy it I'll probably pick up The Long War, the sequel that just came out a couple days ago then maybe jump into the Discworld series but I have no idea where to begin.

Shiny Llama
Jan 1, 2013

I just bought Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory in honour of his recent passing and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station because it came highly recommended.
As for where to start with Discworld, I say either Small Gods or Mort, as one is a very strong and fairly standalone novel and one begins one of my favourite mini-series within Discworld.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. My mom insisted that I read it.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Just started reading The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

Also just started America by Jean Baudrillard. Most of his writing I have tried to read has been hilariously dense. This one seems a bit easier on the brain.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Have you read The consumer society? I tended to dismiss Baudrillard as yet another impenetrable and mostly irrelevant postmodern author until I read that. Together with Elias and Bourdieu, he really helped shape my view of class dynamics in human societies and in Western (post)modernity in particular. I don't know what your preferences are like, but I would personally ignore the parts where he dabbles in psychoanalysis; if you manage to distill the 'hard' sociology from his work, it will probably change your worldview. Interestingly and paradoxically enough, it helped push me further towards views that a lot of goons would probably dismiss as 'evo-psych'.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I'm 100 pages into Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland and I'm not enjoying it very much. It's incredibly schlocky, hyper-popularized history, written with all the depth and judgment of a celebrity tabloid - and like all popularized history/science books, it received rave reviews and is praised by fans of HBO's Rome as being "exhaustive" and "tremendously intelligent". I'm not a classics expert by any means, but the book is still noticeably shallow. I can see how the strong narrative voice, plus the judgment of ancient figures according to modern sensibilities, would draw novice readers in, however.

I'm not surprised to learn that Holland wrote vampire fiction and his most recent nonfiction work is a vaguely islamophobic and poorly researched "untold history" (ha) of islam.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

I've really denied myself the classics here; I started on "Fahrenheit 451" recently, got it as a gift from my high school media studies teacher (Thanks, appreciate you being prudent). So far, I am at the second part, and "The Sieve and the Sand" seems really intricate so far. Oh, and I recently got into "The Mountain and the Valley", which is on top tier with Hamlet as far as "tortured protagonists" go.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

busfahrer posted:

Just started reading The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon.

Full version or abridged?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Started several recently. Working on The Moral Animal as it's still a topic that I thoroughly enjoy reading about since college. It's a book described as "Why we are, the way we are: the new science of evolutionary psychology."

For my fiction fill, I'm giving Consider Phlebas a shot. I've heard good and bad things and figured I'd just decide for myself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm just starting The Terror by Dan Simmons (creepy stuff in polar regions is totally my bag) and Abaddon's Gate by James SA Corey. I just bought Nazi Germany and the Jews by Saul Friedlander which I will read when I really want to be horrified. I got the abdriged edition, which I've heard good and bad things about, but to be honest 512 pages of utterly depressing history is enough for me, not the 1300+ of the unabridged version which would probably make me just kill myself.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Finally attempting to read A Confederacy of Dunces. I've heard that I'll either think it's a masterpiece of American Literature, or after 50 pages I will throw it across the room because I hate everyone in it and want to cause them physical pain by throwing the book.

I'm 55 pages in, so I think I made it!

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

SgtScruffy posted:

Finally attempting to read A Confederacy of Dunces. I've heard that I'll either think it's a masterpiece of American Literature, or after 50 pages I will throw it across the room because I hate everyone in it and want to cause them physical pain by throwing the book.

I'm 55 pages in, so I think I made it!

This is one of the funniest books of the 20th century. No doubt about it. There are apparently people who don't like it, which I'll never understand.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
"1356: A Novel" by Bernard Cornwell

So far so good but I caveat that with I haven't read a book by this author that I didn't like. So even if it was pages smeared with rat turd I'd probably still love it. Great character depth and he does a fantastic job bringing the battle scenes to life.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Horns by Joe Hill. So far, definitely reads like something his daddy would've written. Not that that's a bad thing... I feel like I'm laughing at some of the stuff way more than I should be, but I do love me some dark comedy.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Being a fan of the Temeraire-series by Novik, mainly for the setting, I decided to pick up the first couple of books of the series that (presumably) inspired it: O'Brien's Master and Command and Post-Captain.

Aside from the period dialogue patterns and writing style, the naval jargon is pretty intimidating. I'm used to finishing books quickly, but I keep having to stop and look up words with this series. Its made for a fun and educational read so far!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

After starting a bunch of books and setting them aside after just a few pages because none of the 100+ unread books I own seemed like something I wanted to read, I finally had my interest captured by Equal of the Sun by Anita Amirrezvani. A work of historical fiction set in 16th-century Persia, it focuses around Pari Khan Khanum Safavi, favorite daughter of the Shah who is forced to navigate the treacherous court politics after her father dies without naming an heir. So far the two primary characters (Princess Pari and the narrator, her advisor Javaher) are likable and the political intrigue is fascinating and tense. I can't wait to get further into it!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I just started A Confederacy of Dunces and it's great and hilarious and I like it a lot. It's startling how Ignatius feels like a caricature of various internet personas. I guess neckbeards are timeless.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Qwo posted:

I just started A Confederacy of Dunces and it's great and hilarious and I like it a lot. It's startling how Ignatius feels like a caricature of various internet personas. I guess neckbeards are timeless.

Reading this so far makes me wonder if Sperglords read this book and think "This character GETS me, he's right about everything" :gonk:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sivlan posted:

Being a fan of the Temeraire-series by Novik, mainly for the setting, I decided to pick up the first couple of books of the series that (presumably) inspired it: O'Brien's Master and Command and Post-Captain.

Aside from the period dialogue patterns and writing style, the naval jargon is pretty intimidating. I'm used to finishing books quickly, but I keep having to stop and look up words with this series. Its made for a fun and educational read so far!

If you plan on continuing the series I would look into purchasing, at the very least, A Sea of Words 3rd Edition. Also worth looking into is Habors and High Seas which gives you various maps of their adventures which is organized by book. It helped me get my bearings geographically, because at times I wasn't really sure where they were sailing or what was near them.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 13, 2013

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. It's required reading for orientation. Female empowerment and all that.

So far nothing much to write home about, though it's interesting how she took on a lot at a young age.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Reading through The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. It's basically The Dresden Files, but the main character is a druid instead of a wizard. It's pretty fun so far. Going to binge through Dresden Files again after I finish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Started on Herman Hesse's The Glass Bead Game and... is this sci-fi? This feels like sci-fi. Like Starship Troopers if you replace shooting people with hyper-chess.

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
Started reading Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst. I really liked the first book I read by him, so my expectations were pretty high for this book. Fortunately, Furst does not disappoint but delivers instead another gripping spy-story, set a few years before WW2.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

SuperLobster posted:

Picked up the entire Foundation trilogy for $3 at a Half-Priced Books near my house. Just about finished with the first book and already salivating for book 2.

Do you recommend it to someone who is not a big sci-fi fan? I have a copy at home, got it for almost nothing, but haven't felt like picking it up and reading it.

I've just picked up The Cheese and the Worms, from Carlo Ginzburg at the library. Better late than never, I suppose. Hopefully I'll start Football Against the Enemy, by Simon Kuper before the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Kind Milkman posted:

This is one of the funniest books of the 20th century. No doubt about it. There are apparently people who don't like it, which I'll never understand.

It took me three tries to read this book. A creative writing teacher suggested it to me, because he felt that stylistically, it was right up my alley. I ran out and got it, and lets just say it took me awhile to actually read it.

The first time, I probably got into the first 50 pages or so and found the whole thing so goddamned obnoxious I just couldn't take it any more. I would have given up on it, had it not been for the fact that my teacher had suggested it to me.

The second time I started, but left it to read something else instead.

The third time I sat down to read it, I absolutely loved it, and I couldn't quite understand why I hated it so much when I had tried to read it before. It's a bit of a strange and unusual book. You can't go into it expecting and looking for greatness, you just sorta have to let it do its thing.

To contribute, I've been spending a bunch of money on books. Since I'm a teacher, summer is my main reading time, I decided I would take the time to try out a bunch of zombie books and expand my reading of horror novels beyond the "big names' like King and Koontz.

Recently I've picked up
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (reading now)
Feed - by Mira Grant
Monster Planet & Plague Zone by David Wellington
Area 187 by Eric Lowther
ExHeroes and 14- Peter Clines
Swan Song by Robert McCammon
Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry
Harbor & Itsy Bitsy by John Ajvide Lindqvist
a bunch of Jo Nesbo mysteries

And since the Cincinnati Public Library is awesome, I just snagged half a dozen audiobooks and stuffed them on my ipod.
I think I overdid it a bit, and the worst part is that most of these have sequels I would like to read.

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 16, 2013

• Locked thread