Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

London's South Bank: where 50% of people are trying to skateboard and the other 50% are taking photos of them. Though not so much on a Monday when I walked past on my day off and almost nobody was there.

First up:

P1010989 by Danington, on Flickr

I was trying to get the planning notice (this is topical as the owners of the land want to turn this area into yet more coffee shops but literally everybody else thinks this is a bad idea because it's been used as a skate area for like 30 years and is arguably more popular because of it) as the focus here but it's kind of difficult to tell what it is without knowing what it is already. I don't want to aggressively crop the photo as it doesn't look right without the top of the column or the skater, but I can't find a way of bringing it out better without washing out the rest of the image.

Second:

P1010991 by Danington, on Flickr

I think this came out quite well but the skater kind of merges into the background a bit and I don't know if that's something I can actually control without losing the wider shot (I suspect not).

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
In the second shot it would help a lot if the skater were facing the camera.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I really actually like the way this shot is angled. It sort of put things in perspective of a creature who can climb vertically where up and down are different. It might not be the perfect shot with the out of focus wire and the mentioned paper, but it is a really great angle, and it feels like it has a story to it.

I went into the toad picture and cropped it closer as well as a touch up in the color department. Thanks for the advice guys, I think its a lot better now.

Here's another photo of the same hike as the frog. I think its a successful composition (I cropped a tree out of the left edge and tried to turn the greens down. I also think its a bit grainy. If I remember I had the iso pretty high because of the location being under some thick canopy. I do think its an interesting photo with a story though.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Here's another photo of the same hike as the frog. I think its a successful composition (I cropped a tree out of the left edge and tried to turn the greens down. I also think its a bit grainy. If I remember I had the iso pretty high because of the location being under some thick canopy. I do think its an interesting photo with a story though.

I really like the look of the structure--it absolutely looks out of place in a forest and almost has a surreal, sci-fi look along the lines of this (which admittedly isn't a very good example). That said, I wish you had taken a few steps back and given it more context, really showing off the forest aspect. Along the same lines, I don't think you gained much from desaturating the green. A colorful, organic background would be an interesting contrast to the colorless pile of metal.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Ketzal posted:

I really like the look of the structure--it absolutely looks out of place in a forest and almost has a surreal, sci-fi look along the lines of this (which admittedly isn't a very good example). That said, I wish you had taken a few steps back and given it more context, really showing off the forest aspect. Along the same lines, I don't think you gained much from desaturating the green. A colorful, organic background would be an interesting contrast to the colorless pile of metal.

Oh thanks! I can show you guys the original when I get back home. It's a bit further back and the green is obviously brighter. I do however think this is a good lesson in being able to stop, take a step back, and ask yourself if your over-editing.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I really actually like the way this shot is angled. It sort of put things in perspective of a creature who can climb vertically where up and down are different. It might not be the perfect shot with the out of focus wire and the mentioned paper, but it is a really great angle, and it feels like it has a story to it.

I went into the toad picture and cropped it closer as well as a touch up in the color department. Thanks for the advice guys, I think its a lot better now.

Nothing you've posted has been in focus. I'm not sure if it's because of hand-shake from too slow a shutter speed or if it's a focusing issue, but there's honestly nothing in focus in any of these photos. Do you use a tripod? If the light is so diminished by overhead canopy that you have to shoot on a really high ISO, a tripod will help you keep the ISO down (less noise) and shoot with a higher aperture (sharper focus; lenses are usually softest at their widest aperture). Even a monopod will help in this department.

Also, do you use manual point focus selection or do you let the camera pick focus? In your second picture with the scrap metal, it looks like the background is more in focus than the foreground subject. Read up on back button focus and see if that technique will help you get the focus you want.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

London's South Bank: where 50% of people are trying to skateboard and the other 50% are taking photos of them. Though not so much on a Monday when I walked past on my day off and almost nobody was there.

First up:

P1010989 by Danington, on Flickr

This is really cool to me, the blur of the skater is really good. This is super nitpicky but I think maybe it would have been a better shot if you had waited a split second so that he was a little further and there was equal distance between the second pillar and the skater as there is between the first pillar and second, if that makes sense? I think it might be a little more balanced. But I still like it.

Here are a few recent shots from me:

IMG_4053 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_4014 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_4040 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

rio posted:

Thanks for the advice here guys, I was gravitating towards the vertical rainbow just because the horizontal is so busy (but the only place I could get the whole rainbow). I also didn't like that I

DSC03789 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF4039 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSC03473 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

1. Cute image
2. Pretty nice, I would suggest cloning out the bright dot on top for better focus.
3. Nicely executed, I can almost hear/feel the fire.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

P1010991 by Danington, on Flickr

I think this came out quite well but the skater kind of merges into the background a bit and I don't know if that's something I can actually control without losing the wider shot (I suspect not).

It's amazing what a little bit of dodge and burn can do, play with it.

Was there a fireworks moratorium?

I hate that lamppost.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

BlurryMystr posted:

Nothing you've posted has been in focus. I'm not sure if it's because of hand-shake from too slow a shutter speed or if it's a focusing issue, but there's honestly nothing in focus in any of these photos. Do you use a tripod? If the light is so diminished by overhead canopy that you have to shoot on a really high ISO, a tripod will help you keep the ISO down (less noise) and shoot with a higher aperture (sharper focus; lenses are usually softest at their widest aperture). Even a monopod will help in this department.

Also, do you use manual point focus selection or do you let the camera pick focus? In your second picture with the scrap metal, it looks like the background is more in focus than the foreground subject. Read up on back button focus and see if that technique will help you get the focus you want.

Sorry, I'll make sure that its in focus or not before I post it. Better focus is something I'll definitely start working on, making sure that its tight and crispy. I think of all the photos I've posted so far they have been from one of two hikes, and both of those hikes were poor lighting ( I think at least the plane crash metal was at close to half a second shutter speed + an ISO over 800. I'll rapid fire some of the other questions. I'm trying to work more on my close up photography as I think some of my more land-scapey shots are better.

Tripod: Don't have one (also not sure about carrying extra poundage on 6-10 hour hikes (even a few pounds really adds up))
Focus: These have all been manual focus, I only use auto focus on birds cause they don't like sitting around waiting for me to try and get them in focus.

Back button focus: looks like it could be useful. I think part of me had improper training in that, for the commercial photography class, he wanted everything manual focus and AF is "cheating" but maybe he was just a jerk (or trying to tech us how to use the camera). I'm not sure what the real-world views auto-focus as. but this is my camera is the back button focus the AF on the right on that wheel? http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/ZREARTOP.JPG

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Back button focus: looks like it could be useful. I think part of me had improper training in that, for the commercial photography class, he wanted everything manual focus and AF is "cheating" but maybe he was just a jerk (or trying to tech us how to use the camera). I'm not sure what the real-world views auto-focus as. but this is my camera is the back button focus the AF on the right on that wheel? http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/ZREARTOP.JPG
Autofocus is useful and nobody sane thinks that it's cheating. It's right there on your camera, use it if it helps you get the shot, don't use it if it doesn't. Your camera doesn't have the button mine uses for back button focus, not sure whether it can do it/where it would be. What's the model?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Canon EOS Rebel XS

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Oprah Haza posted:

Was there a fireworks moratorium?

I hate that lamppost.

No offense but shots of the actual fireworks themselves are really same-y seen one you've seen them all. The last one you posted is well executed. Nice shape, good color, very clean and isolated.

My favorite fireworks shots are landscapes + fireworks. This guy has some nice ones from DC:

Fireworks on the Potomac by dyoshida, on Flickr

Fireworks of Alexandria by dyoshida, on Flickr

RedWhite n Blue by dyoshida, on Flickr

I also like fireworks shots that incorporate a viewer:

Boom. by rogvon, on Flickr

Sometimes you can get turn around and get shots of the awestruck faces of kids, lit by the fireworks. Those are pretty good too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Canon EOS Rebel XS
Seems like that can do it, have a look in the manual at custom functions. Should be something like Menu > Camera icon > C. Fn 9 > Option 1 or 3.

e: Then it'll be the button with the star above it that you use.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 11, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Sorry, I'll make sure that its in focus or not before I post it. Better focus is something I'll definitely start working on, making sure that its tight and crispy. I think of all the photos I've posted so far they have been from one of two hikes, and both of those hikes were poor lighting ( I think at least the plane crash metal was at close to half a second shutter speed + an ISO over 800. I'll rapid fire some of the other questions. I'm trying to work more on my close up photography as I think some of my more land-scapey shots are better.

Tripod: Don't have one (also not sure about carrying extra poundage on 6-10 hour hikes (even a few pounds really adds up))
Focus: These have all been manual focus, I only use auto focus on birds cause they don't like sitting around waiting for me to try and get them in focus.

http://www.adorama.com/BG190CXPRO3.html
http://www.adorama.com/OTTS.html

Expensive but they go on sale sometimes and they're very light. If you get a nice ballhead it might end up weighing half as much as the tripod. If you ever get serious about getting a tripod consider saving up for a nice carbon fiber one because eventually you're going to want it, especially if you hike with it and the weight matters.

AF is not cheating but I could see a product photography class having an emphasis on being able to get manual focus. In product shots if the focus is ever so slightly off it can matter a lot and there's no reason not to manually tweak the focus since the product isn't going anywhere.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

slardel posted:

Here are a few recent shots from me:

IMG_4053 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_4014 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_4040 by s-bothun, on Flickr

I really like the processing on these. It's a good balance of color and really helps get a feeling of temperature from the location. Well colored while still not being over-saturated. I don't know if it was actually hot there, but it sure looks it. I would have probably tried to bring the sidewalk/piazza down in 4014, but that's personal preference, and it's not like it's blown out or anything here.

Wahconah Falls by jpitha, on Flickr

Summer Clouds by jpitha, on Flickr
Is this boring? I suppose if I'm asking, it probably is.

Power transmission by jpitha, on Flickr

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Shampoo posted:

I really like the processing on these. It's a good balance of color and really helps get a feeling of temperature from the location. Well colored while still not being over-saturated. I don't know if it was actually hot there, but it sure looks it. I would have probably tried to bring the sidewalk/piazza down in 4014, but that's personal preference, and it's not like it's blown out or anything here.

Wahconah Falls by jpitha, on Flickr

Summer Clouds by jpitha, on Flickr
Is this boring? I suppose if I'm asking, it probably is.

Power transmission by jpitha, on Flickr

The first one, at first I didn't like the perspective, but on further reflection I like the excitement of being close to the water. I think you could have used a tad more flow in the water, with a longer shutter speed. I like it, I just think the rush of the water and the way it cuts through the forest could be emphasized more. What kind of feel are you going for? I think it could just use "more" in general.

The second is not boring to me. It's simple, but nice and clean. :)

This last one is boring though. It's not badly composed, it just feels like there's no interesting focus. Is the landscape supposed to be pretty? Geometric? Mundane? It shows you have a good eye, but it doesn't seem like you had much point in taking the picture other than taking a nice picture.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

nonanone posted:

This last one is boring though. It's not badly composed, it just feels like there's no interesting focus. Is the landscape supposed to be pretty? Geometric? Mundane? It shows you have a good eye, but it doesn't seem like you had much point in taking the picture other than taking a nice picture.

I think I know what you mean. If I'm remembering right the focus of the photo was supposed to be the power lines cutting through the countryside but also just to take a nice picture to use as a background on my computer. It is kind of boring though. Oh well. Always learning (and not having to buy film for each boring photo!)

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Marshmallow Blue posted:

AF is "cheating"

It sounds like you're going through the I-must-do-everything-for-myself phase. Which is good. But only as a means to learn how everything works, and to realise when is the best time to use certain things.

Manual focus is great when you're shooting something that your AF can't handle, or like a previous poster said, when everything's nice and still. For moving objects like that frog you would have been much better served by autofocus.

It's the same with manual exposure, perfect for certain things like night time long-exposures, but 99% of the time aperture or shutter priority is what you really need.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Manually focusing wide open with a slow shutter speed and handheld is a recipe for missed focus. Unless you are a very steady person, you're going to lose that focus quickly just through natural small body movements. There's nothing wrong with auto focus. Who cares how it gets in focus as long as it *is* in focus?

Here's my suggestion: for landscape shots like these, buy a cheapo aluminum tripod. It'll probably be in the twenty or thirty dollar range. The tripod will be very light so it won't weigh you down too much.

If that's just not an option, remember this rule of thumb: To eliminate hand shake, you need to shoot at a shutter speed of at least 1 / (focal length). So if you are at 55mm, the shutter speed needs to be at least 1/60 to compensate for hand movement.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

nonanone posted:

At first I didn't like the perspective, but on further reflection I like the excitement of being close to the water. I think you could have used a tad more flow in the water, with a longer shutter speed. I like it, I just think the rush of the water and the way it cuts through the forest could be emphasized more. What kind of feel are you going for? I think it could just use "more" in general.

I agree, especially in regards to the part I bolded. Personally I like to catch moving water still, but this is kind of middle ground where maybe the light around you doesn't allow a shutter speed fast enough for that and its not slow enough to make the water more flowy. A cool part of this composition is how the river flows towards where the sun is busting through the trees.

Edit: facts about shutter speed and compensating based on mm: Thanks! I've already learned a lot in the past couple days on the thread.

More hiking, about 5000 feet up looking back at The lake on the clouds

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 11, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I agree, especially in regards to the part I bolded. Personally I like to catch moving water still, but this is kind of middle ground where maybe the light around you doesn't allow a shutter speed fast enough for that and its not slow enough to make the water more flowy. A cool part of this composition is how the river flows towards where the sun is busting through the trees.

Edit: facts about shutter speed and compensating based on mm: Thanks! I've already learned a lot in the past couple days on the thread.

More hiking, about 5000 feet up looking back at The lake on the clouds

You have this nice scenic vista of a lake, and the only thing in focus is a sign 5 feet away. Shoulda stopped down to get everything interesting in focus, and I probably woulda ditched the sign too, I don't think it's a very strong focus.

Might as well post some fireworks while I'm here.

P7041027.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7041028.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I call this one: Generic 70's Coor's Ad.

35img046.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Tor
Jul 10, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

P7041028.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I call this one: Generic 70's Coor's Ad.

35img046.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I think the exposure on the fireworks shots were a little bit too long (only just slightly...) They seem to blow-out in the center a bit. What is wonderful about these, is the mountain that they are on. We've seen lots of FW shots in front of monuments, or just hanging in the sky, and while those are great - I love seeing something different here.

The 70's Coors Ad - I really think this one screams to be a much longer exposure - with that sort of drop-off, the water would look so amazingly creamy and awesome! The location and perspective are already great, and I am really drawn farther and farther back into the image as I look at it.

Here is my offering for today:

Cooks - Bailey Island, Maine by Daniel Rieder, on Flickr

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Tor posted:

Here is my offering for today:

Cooks - Bailey Island, Maine by Daniel Rieder, on Flickr

Oh I really like this one. I think the only issue I have with it is the roof of that building in the top left is so close to scraping the top of the frame.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Kudos on this, it's absolutely loving brilliant. Great movement, processing and I'm glad you left the negative space on the top. It really balances it.

---

I've finally had the chance to use my digital camera on something other than female models after switching from film.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Sorry if this is against the rules I don't really have any critique but this is the best.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

Dren posted:

No offense but shots of the actual fireworks themselves are really same-y seen one you've seen them all. The last one you posted is well executed. Nice shape, good color, very clean and isolated.

My favorite fireworks shots are landscapes + fireworks. This guy has some nice ones from DC:

Fireworks on the Potomac by dyoshida, on Flickr

Fireworks of Alexandria by dyoshida, on Flickr

RedWhite n Blue by dyoshida, on Flickr

I also like fireworks shots that incorporate a viewer:

Boom. by rogvon, on Flickr

Sometimes you can get turn around and get shots of the awestruck faces of kids, lit by the fireworks. Those are pretty good too.

As someone who left DC three years ago I want to personally thank you for these firework pictures. Stunning and well composed, you did a wonderful job incorporating the city. The first two are my absolute favorite and the colors really help set the mood of the overall picture. I am going to use these as my reference point for future firework projects, my last attempts weren't so productive.

Content:

AlteBrücke Panorama by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

I took this after seeing a picture hanging in a gallery and thinking "I could do that." It's a stitched panorama with single exposures so no HDR going on here, just an HDR effect. This is normally not my style however as I was attempting to mimic the photograph I decided to boost the clarity slider in LR5 further than normal. It's not perfect however I would really like input as to how this particular photo came out.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

That metal dude posted:

As someone who left DC three years ago I want to personally thank you for these firework pictures. Stunning and well composed, you did a wonderful job incorporating the city. The first two are my absolute favorite and the colors really help set the mood of the overall picture. I am going to use these as my reference point for future firework projects, my last attempts weren't so productive.

Content:

AlteBrücke Panorama by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

I took this after seeing a picture hanging in a gallery and thinking "I could do that." It's a stitched panorama with single exposures so no HDR going on here, just an HDR effect. This is normally not my style however as I was attempting to mimic the photograph I decided to boost the clarity slider in LR5 further than normal. It's not perfect however I would really like input as to how this particular photo came out.

Thanks but I didn't take them! Just a photog I follow on flickr. I'd like to take fireworks pictures like that too but I usually have some social commitment on the 4th (beer) that prevents it. (Also I probably am not that good).

I'm surprised your photo doesn't have a thousand likes and sparkly great photo gifs attached to it already. It is a fine example of sliders set to max style. The only thing it's missing is some additional sunset light on those clouds.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mr. Despair posted:

You have this nice scenic vista of a lake, and the only thing in focus is a sign 5 feet away. Shoulda stopped down to get everything interesting in focus, and I probably woulda ditched the sign too, I don't think it's a very strong focus.

Jesus Christ were dragon ball characters fighting on top of the mountain? This is loving cool.

I've only photographed fireworks a couple of times, I'd post em but, honest, my lense was loving dirty and I'm just going to delete them. I look forward to taking more in the future though after I move out east.

Anywho, finally got out to take some stuff for fun.

Market by Middleshoes, on Flickr

Gallery by Middleshoes, on Flickr

Violin by Middleshoes, on Flickr

You can't loving turn your head in downtown Omaha on a weekend without seeing a dad with a fancy DSLR. I always enjoy holding a tourist's camera for them and taking a shot of the family :unsmith:

LibbyCr
Feb 2, 2013

I'm fascinated by the alleyway in the first photo - the mix of rich greens and confined manmade spaces makes a fantastic contrast. I don't care for the bars in the foreground - the angled lines don't seem to fit well with the straight walls and the way the vertical bar slices off the frame on the right is a bit distracting.

The second shot has a great "stalker" quality to it. I like the choice of including the padlock and the open door frame. I'd also be interested in seeing how this one works if you straightened the bars to true vertical.

We did a neighborhood block party for the fourth and it turns out we have some very serious pyromaniacs around the corner - their display was as good as most city ones although I'm 99% certain it was mostly illegal. We used an old iron table as a surface for launching, and I really liked the way these show off the table shape.

Summer 2013070513_3416 by LibbyCr, on Flickr

I finally acquired a telephoto lens and am loving it. These roses came out surprisingly "3d" and I think it may be due to the lack of background light and using a flash, although I'd certainly appreciate it if someone could confirm/deny. It's an effect I'd like to be able to capture at will. This is straight out of camera.

3d roses by LibbyCr, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I like the processing on this one, plus I like the crop because it shows you a door with an exit to nature, and a sign with do drugs next to it, as an invitation (and the smiley face is ok too).

Consumer Mecca by Mijaeus, on Flickr
Sorry for the HDR, but I feel like its the only way to represent how that place looks.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

El Laucha posted:

Consumer Mecca by Mijaeus, on Flickr
Sorry for the HDR, but I feel like its the only way to represent how that place looks.

I really like this shot, but I do find myself wishing the flag and its pole weren't there. Nice HDR as well, good call. I will post a few in a bit.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

El Laucha posted:

Mijaeus, on Flickr
Don't apologize for using a technique if it works well, in this case it worked really well.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

LibbyCr posted:

We did a neighborhood block party for the fourth and it turns out we have some very serious pyromaniacs around the corner - their display was as good as most city ones although I'm 99% certain it was mostly illegal. We used an old iron table as a surface for launching, and I really liked the way these show off the table shape.

Summer 2013070513_3416 by LibbyCr, on Flickr

This is so pretty! Do you have a wider angle view of it? I suspect the crop is perfect, just thought it'd be nice to see if I'm right :)

One more from Vilnius:

AJK_2194.jpg by SAFistLips, on Flickr

LibbyCr
Feb 2, 2013

FistLips posted:

This is so pretty! Do you have a wider angle view of it? I suspect the crop is perfect, just thought it'd be nice to see if I'm right :)

One more from Vilnius:

AJK_2194.jpg by SAFistLips, on Flickr

I don't have a wider angle of that particular shot but here's the same scene:

BadExample by LibbyCr, on Flickr

There was a white truck directly on the other side of the road as well as houses and yards that made for some interesting challenges.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

LibbyCr posted:

I finally acquired a telephoto lens and am loving it. These roses came out surprisingly "3d" and I think it may be due to the lack of background light and using a flash, although I'd certainly appreciate it if someone could confirm/deny. It's an effect I'd like to be able to capture at will. This is straight out of camera.

This just looks like any flower shot with straight on flash. I'm really not a fan of it at all. It's washed out all the colour and depth to the photo and reminds me of the 80s. I think you could go for a much better flower shot with off-camera flash or ambient lighting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

LibbyCr posted:

As was said, most of what you're seeing is the harsh shadows of direct flash. It can be used to good effect, but it's not usual with this type of photo. The telephoto effect is usually more isolation, like this.

Standing Out by

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

I apologize if this critique is a bit bland but I haven't posted here in a while. I'll do my best.

This is okay. The lighting looks the tiniest bit underexposed and the whites are a little dull in my opinion. I think I also see a little of a purple hue in the forehead, cheeks, and nose. I think it's just my taste however. Anyways from a perspective point of view you've cropped it well. However I do wish the bow wasn't crossing the face. I also see the sign in the back being overlapped. If you took a step to the left, you could have separated the sign and moved the bow out of the way. But anything I haven't mentioned looks alright by me.

I took a lot of photos at a zoo/aquarium. Try to get over how common the idea is. I think the last one would have been better if I focused on the divers rather than the guy since I processed him to be a sillouette. The croc one is the first time I've taken enough time to notice the water reflection in a shot. I'm pretty happy I'm learning.

Untitled by rcman50166, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I love the way the rocks have the same colour and texture as the [crocodile|alligator], and the composition with the reflection is gorgeous.

This is too dark and too blue. Make it brighter and warmer! Also you might want to clone out or darken the background elements in the bottom right after you've done that, as they may become more distracting.

I can't really see what's going on here. Would have preferred to see the diver on the left from his front, looks like he's doing something interesting with some sort of pipe there.

DSCF2386.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2369.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2368.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

David Pratt posted:

This is too dark and too blue. Make it brighter and warmer! Also you might want to clone out or darken the background elements in the bottom right after you've done that, as they may become more distracting.

I think it came out pretty well, I would clone out the bottom right as David Pratt says. The issues I've found with aquariums is that some of the fish (such as this lion fish, and clown fish) have really low light exhibits. On top of that you end up competing for a decent angle, people using their flashes over and over (and wondering why it isn't working), and the fish needs to sit still long enough. But overall its a good shot for what you probably had to work with.

A couple form the Blackstone River in MA.

This place was infested with turtles, It wasn't uncommon to see 5 or 6 all sunning it up in the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

David Pratt posted:

I can't really see what's going on here. Would have preferred to see the diver on the left from his front, looks like he's doing something interesting with some sort of pipe there.

Not making excuses here, but rather filling you in as to what is going on. This is at the Newport Aquarium near Cincinnati, Ohio. That is the shark tank and the divers there are doing a Q&A orchestrated by the guy I've silhouetted. The diver with the pole is a safety diver, watching the forward facing diver's back. He pokes at sharks that get too close.

Wonderful aquarium to visit, if you are in the area. The building layout doesn't do justice to how large that shark tank really is.