Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Hetty status: pretty drat evil :stare:

Edit: Apparently Hetty's forehead-symbol stands for phosphorus. Which has the properties of being highly flammable, toxic and (somewhat depending on its from) unstable.

So it is. I found the symbol for sulphur and thought 'close enough'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Concerned at this point that Hetty will not wait for permission to go after Annie. Considering she knows Reynard can't give it. :ohdear:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hetty might be the first outright EVIL character in Gunnerkrigg's Court. Creepy-rear end Child's Play roleplayer.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hey, Hetty... you've got a rather sizable crack/scratch there across your face in that last panel. Might wanna get someone to take a look at that.

Anyway, despite implications. Tom has been very careful to only give us a trickle of information here that's just incomplete enough to be misleading. So I really can't gauge Hetty's behavior outside of her being slightly unhinged. For all we know so far Hetty may have had a fantastic relationship with Adam's sister, and it wouldn't affect current events at all.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Or Adam caused the "accident"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, while Adam probably doesn't deserve Hetty's torment, I'm not so sure about his sister. Leaving something like Hetty to a kid without telling them is not the greatest thing to do, and apart from that all we know about her is, well, that she trapped Hetty. Probably deliberately; I'm assuming that accidental captures are rare. Now, there could have been good reasons for this, depending on what Hetty was like before she spent however much time trapped in a doll, but we really don't know anything there.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

It's so perfect! :swoon:

On the subject of Hetty though: Are we sure that she's the one responsible for the death of Adam's sister? A few people here seem to be supporting that idea, but nothing on today's page outright says that might have been the case. I'm with Unhappy Meal in saying that we simply don't know enough yet to draw any well-thought out conclusions on the topic just yet. For all we know, things could have been all sunshine and rainbows between Hetty and Adam's sister.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It seems pretty clear that the way Hetty talks about her meeting an "accident" means she was murdered, and Hetty doesn't seem particularly phased by it. She seems annoyed that she didn't realise she would go to Adam, as if she killed the sister in an attempt to be free.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It is a bit ambiguous, I guess. The way she says "How could I have known" kinda implies she had something to do with it, but "forgetting her dear sister" could be a sign she truly believes Adam did something bad. But I'm more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the kid than to the evil-looking crazy porcelain doll.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Roland Jones posted:

Well, while Adam probably doesn't deserve Hetty's torment, I'm not so sure about his sister. Leaving something like Hetty to a kid without telling them is not the greatest thing to do, and apart from that all we know about her is, well, that she trapped Hetty. Probably deliberately; I'm assuming that accidental captures are rare. Now, there could have been good reasons for this, depending on what Hetty was like before she spent however much time trapped in a doll, but we really don't know anything there.

I would not be surprised if his sister did not know that Hetty was anything other than an ordinary doll.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Are we sure that she's the one responsible for the death of Adam's sister?

It's implied by the context and dialogue. It may, of course, be also a fakeout. Nothing is certain until it's spelled out by the story.

I'm fascinated how little Renard apparently knew about Hetty. From past interactions, he seemed rather aware of who and what she was, but turns out he had never even seen who Adam was.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Heh, I do wonder how far Tom needs to go before you guys finally conclude that someone in this comic is evil, evil, evil.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
Hetty is awesomely evil. Like, really committed to it.

I would love to see Renard's solution be a simple separation of her doll head from her doll body. Just POP and and Hetty's eternally bitching head gets dropped down a well or something.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Roland Jones posted:

One thing that strikes me is that Hetty says that Adam's sister left Hetty to him in her diary, not in her will.

Bizarre baseless speculation: Hetty isn't actually bound to Adam, she only thinks she is, and her nearly single-minded pursuit of revenge against a child who actually hasn't wronged her keeps her from actually exerting the effort to snap the remaining bonds and break truly free. And whoever's responsible for keeping track for the bound creatures in the Court lets this continue because the torment of one child pales in comparison to what a free Hetty would do.

Alternatively, Reynard's been recruited for a sting operation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

Heh, I do wonder how far Tom needs to go before you guys finally conclude that someone in this comic is evil, evil, evil.

The comic could display Hetty murdering Adam's sister with a hatchet with Tom's patented Get A Clue text boxes saying "this is not a hallucination, dream sequence, drug fantasy, or political allegory" wallpapering every available inch of blank space and there are still people who would rub their chins and go "hmm, but what's really happening?"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 15, 2013

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Assuming the context clues are correct, I've changed my mind about Hetty.

I can't abide the murder of a young girl and the unwarranted torture of her grieving brother.

If the story shakes out that this is not the case, then I will change my mind again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I don't know about other people but I outright said that Adam almost definitely (considering the other kids we've seen in this series it can't entirely be ruled out) doesn't deserve Hetty tormenting him, but, again, we know nothing about his sister. Not even her age, for the people talking about Hetty killing a little girl. Just that, well, she's female, she's Adam's sister, and somehow Hetty was bound to her; assuming that accidents like Annie getting control of Reynard are rare, she probably did that intentionally, for whatever reason. Unless she herself got Hetty from elsewhere, I suppose.

Going from that, her leaving Hetty to Adam is really iffy. Either she did it to keep Hetty under control, which makes not telling the person who would be controlling her an amazingly stupid move, or she just thought of Hetty as a possession to give away, which is pretty terrible regardless of who it's happening to. Heck, going further with the first one, if Hetty did kill her (all things considered I doubt it; these bindings seem to prevent that sort of thing), and her knowing that that could happen is why she made that clause in the first place, then she's either a horrible person or an idiot, binding a murderdoll to a child without even telling the child, hey, there's gonna be a doll trying to kill you. There is not a lot going for her, really; you could try to think up weird situations like her somehow owning Hetty without being aware that she's alive, but that seems really unlikely. Not impossible, but a bit of a stretch.

And, of course, we don't know the history here. We know Hetty's crazy, but, seeing as she's been trapped in a doll's body for who knows how long, there is probably a reason for that. This could all be Adam's sister's fault. It's definitely her fault that Hetty, crazy doll spirit, is bound to Adam, hapless little kid, at any rate. There's more here than simply Hetty's malevolence, though of course that's definitely a big part of it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Hetty is awesomely evil. Like, really committed to it.

I would love to see Renard's solution be a simple separation of her doll head from her doll body. Just POP and and Hetty's eternally bitching head gets dropped down a well or something.

I want to see him shake her the way my dog shakes toys when she tries to break their necks (at least that's what I expect the behavior stems from).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I can just imagine Rey defusing the whole thing in the most anticlimactic way.

R: Hello, are you Adam?
A: Yeah, what do you want?
R: This is who's been making your life hell, release her from her bonds and you'll be k
A: 'K

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

a medical mystery posted:

R: This is who's been making your life hell, release her from her bonds and you'll be k

Well, that's what would happen if Smitty was around...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's probably safe to assume that Hetty best ought to stay in her doll body. And possibly also in a nailed-down crate at the bottom of a very deep well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

It's probably safe to assume that Hetty best ought to stay in her doll body. And possibly also in a nailed-down crate at the bottom of a very deep well.

A very deep well on Neptune.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus Christ Adam, put some heart into the game will you? No wonder your team always loses :colbert:

Why yes, when it comes to evil spirits the solution is always to give them more freedom!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think it's pretty clear from the context that Hetty was the cause of Adam's dear sister's "accident". Renard doesn't really seem to care about the whole situation, or at the very least is not too interested. Interested enough to be all "Hetty, he doesn't even know you exist?"

I wonder what's gonna happen next :allears:

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Rey is totally going to rat out Hetty to Adam. After that comment about killing Annie, how could he possibly not?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Two days later, someone 'steals' Hetty's seat on the bus. Three days later, the Court is on fire.

Hell, just loving up her favorite hobby would probably be provocation enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I don't know about other people but I outright said that Adam almost definitely (considering the other kids we've seen in this series it can't entirely be ruled out) doesn't deserve Hetty tormenting him, but, again, we know nothing about his sister. Not even her age, for the people talking about Hetty killing a little girl. Just that, well, she's female, she's Adam's sister, and somehow Hetty was bound to her; assuming that accidents like Annie getting control of Reynard are rare, she probably did that intentionally, for whatever reason. Unless she herself got Hetty from elsewhere, I suppose.

Going from that, her leaving Hetty to Adam is really iffy. Either she did it to keep Hetty under control, which makes not telling the person who would be controlling her an amazingly stupid move, or she just thought of Hetty as a possession to give away, which is pretty terrible regardless of who it's happening to. Heck, going further with the first one, if Hetty did kill her (all things considered I doubt it; these bindings seem to prevent that sort of thing), and her knowing that that could happen is why she made that clause in the first place, then she's either a horrible person or an idiot, binding a murderdoll to a child without even telling the child, hey, there's gonna be a doll trying to kill you. There is not a lot going for her, really; you could try to think up weird situations like her somehow owning Hetty without being aware that she's alive, but that seems really unlikely. Not impossible, but a bit of a stretch.

And, of course, we don't know the history here. We know Hetty's crazy, but, seeing as she's been trapped in a doll's body for who knows how long, there is probably a reason for that. This could all be Adam's sister's fault. It's definitely her fault that Hetty, crazy doll spirit, is bound to Adam, hapless little kid, at any rate. There's more here than simply Hetty's malevolence, though of course that's definitely a big part of it.

Or maybe she was a little girl who found/received a doll and wrote "if I die I want my brother to have my dollie" in her diary. Jesus loving Christ, goons.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I wonder what Hetty looks like in the Ether. Probably pretty scary.

edit: or maybe very innocent-looking, for the irony factor

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 15, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hodgepodge posted:

Or maybe she was a little girl who found/received a doll and wrote "if I die I want my brother to have my dollie" in her diary. Jesus loving Christ, goons.

well she is said to be Adams older sister, but it could have been written a fair bit ago.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I just want to remind people of this page. Hetty belonged to Adam's sister, but apparently he sealed her in that body without knowing.

Something weird is up.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bathroomrage posted:

I just want to remind people of this page. Hetty belonged to Adam's sister, but apparently he sealed her in that body without knowing.

Something weird is up.
That could just mean she's still trapped in the body, since presumably the contract she had with Adam's sister would be null now that she's dead, if not for it being transferred to Adam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bathroomrage posted:

Something weird is up.

She didn't mean it like that. The latest page shows that Hetty's still trapped in the doll body just because Adam's sister willed Hetty to him. So Hetty offed Adam's sister, but didn't know that she was now in Adam's possession, and therefore still couldn't break out of the doll body.

Hetty blames Adam for "cursing" her when he doesn't even know she exists. Hetty is an evil lunatic, full stop, no ambiguity, no room for interpretation, the big guy is Eglamore.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Quoting this from many pages back because it seems even more appropriate now.

Also as part of team Hetty is bad, I just want to say I knew it :colbert:. Also that I am more interested in the storyline now that she is definitely evil and not just an annoyance.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hetty is not only mad that Adam both doesn't know anything and as a result "neglects" her, she also plans to torture him and then presumably kill him too just to not be under contract. That's messed up, yo

Also it seems to me that the court doesn't really have any interest in her, since they probably would have made sure the current owner was aware of the situation after the sister died.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

dyzzy posted:

Hetty is not only mad that Adam both doesn't know anything and as a result "neglects" her, she also plans to torture him and then presumably kill him too just to not be under contract. That's messed up, yo

Also it seems to me that the court doesn't really have any interest in her, since they probably would have made sure the current owner was aware of the situation after the sister died.

It's possible they attempted to contact him via mail, only for Hetty to destroy it. Even ignoring the court, she's probably responsible for Adam never finding out about his sister's "gift" of Hetty upon her death.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Or maybe they worded the mail poorly...

code:
DEAR RESIDENT

A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity* awaits you!

Simply follow the simple instructions** included!

*(to own a psychotic demon trapped inside of a doll's body)

**(failure to follow instructions could result in death)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
...is Hetty starting to crack in the last panel?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The results are in Hetty is officially awesome.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cyphoderus posted:

...is Hetty starting to crack in the last panel?

She's been cracked from the very beginning :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
If anything, I think this will prove what happens when you break a contract. Seems to be going that way.