Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Bought another tacky two bucks Italian fountain pen, same manufacturer as my previous favorite 2 bucks pen (the Carioca Neon Stylo). It is called a "Tycon Deviline by Universal. It comes with a marker/eraser that erases the blue ink it comes with. GOod value I think.

This is the least terrible picture I've found of it on the internet, will take pics when I have access to a camera later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank71
Jun 15, 2013

Stalizard posted:

So thanks, dicks. It's all your fault :mad:

Haha, it's a slippery slope. I starting lurking in this thread not long ago. First, I bought a pen and then I wanted to try some new ink. So I bought some Noodler's black ink. Then I wanted to try "a" different color! So I bought a few more. Then I decided that I needed a Lamy Safari to take to work with me.

And... I already have my eye on a TWSBI Vac700...

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Went yard sale scoping today and picked up a Sheaffer cartridge pen with a 304 nib for $5, got it home, flushed it out and it works like it's brand new. Something to use as a day to day when my Ahab gets on my nerves.

Does anyone else have issues with J Herbin Rouge Hematite ink? I have a bottle of it, and it seems to constantly gunk up my pens. I have used it in an Ahab, a Plumix, and this Sheaffer pen now, and in all 3 the feed dries up super quick. I love how the ink shades, but it's an exercise in frustration to get ink flowing. I picked up a Goulet B Nib for my Ahab [the flex nib drives me up the wall] to see if that helps. Count me in for the TWSBI crew, I am looking to pick up a TWSBI 540 or 580 next.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Went yard sale scoping today and picked up a Sheaffer cartridge pen with a 304 nib for $5, got it home, flushed it out and it works like it's brand new. Something to use as a day to day when my Ahab gets on my nerves.

Does anyone else have issues with J Herbin Rouge Hematite ink? I have a bottle of it, and it seems to constantly gunk up my pens. I have used it in an Ahab, a Plumix, and this Sheaffer pen now, and in all 3 the feed dries up super quick. I love how the ink shades, but it's an exercise in frustration to get ink flowing. I picked up a Goulet B Nib for my Ahab [the flex nib drives me up the wall] to see if that helps. Count me in for the TWSBI crew, I am looking to pick up a TWSBI 540 or 580 next.

One of the other FP-related groups I keep up with was just discussing this very issue. Apparently Rouge Hematite has been gunking up a lot of their pens too, so it isn't just you.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kessel posted:

One of the other FP-related groups I keep up with was just discussing this very issue. Apparently Rouge Hematite has been gunking up a lot of their pens too, so it isn't just you.

Keep in mind that red ink in general tends to be more gunk-prone than other inks from the same manufacturer. Even, say, Pelikan red will leave a layer of crud quite quickly.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

blowfish posted:

Keep in mind that red ink in general tends to be more gunk-prone than other inks from the same manufacturer. Even, say, Pelikan red will leave a layer of crud quite quickly.

Oh, so that is why when I used pelikan drawing ink I could use blue all day long, but if I used a red it clogged up. That explains things a bit.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
So I bought a goulet 1.1 nib to replace the 1.1 on my vac 700. In the hopes of making it wetter. It is slightly more wet but not where I want it to be. Has anyone messed with the feed on a vac with any luck?

Tor
Jul 10, 2013

I have been alternating between my Lamy 2000 and my Pelikan m800. Overall I prefer the Pelikan, but it seem that it only seems to write properly (or at least the way I like it too) with Waterman Blue-Black. Anything else, it skips or or just doesn't feel "right". Has anyone else had a pen that only seemed to like a certain type of ink?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lady flash posted:

So I bought a goulet 1.1 nib to replace the 1.1 on my vac 700. In the hopes of making it wetter. It is slightly more wet but not where I want it to be. Has anyone messed with the feed on a vac with any luck?

Try something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0pNht6vsfE

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

Especially since this one is two tone with green pigment included. Bah. Time to sell the bottle on eBay I guess.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance
I intentionally bought a fountain pen once, and it stopped working almost immediately.

Since then, I only accidentally acquire fountain pens. And they're alright.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Bought a Lamy Vista/Safari (whatever, same thing it's just clear) and some Quink off of amazon thanks to this thread. (Quink since none of the Noodler's I wanted shipped with Prime)

Then I saw and started reading about Bay State Blue and I know if I like writing with the Lamy I'll be dropping another $40 on a Metropolitan and that ink since I've heard bad things about using a Safari/Vista/Al Star with it.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I recently acquired a Hero 1026 and I have to say that for a cheap fountain pen it is aces. It writes smoothly on almost all papers and makes a nice line. I'm enjoying having this pen a lot.

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
If I were to mix up a dark, dark green, like black with green undertones, would it be usable for legal stuffs?

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

Dudeabides posted:

I recently acquired a Hero 1026 and I have to say that for a cheap fountain pen it is aces. It writes smoothly on almost all papers and makes a nice line. I'm enjoying having this pen a lot.

I have a pack of 616 jumbos on the way from DealXtreme, I hope they write that well (or at least some of them).

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Viper_3000 posted:

Bought a Lamy Vista/Safari (whatever, same thing it's just clear) and some Quink off of amazon thanks to this thread. (Quink since none of the Noodler's I wanted shipped with Prime)

Then I saw and started reading about Bay State Blue and I know if I like writing with the Lamy I'll be dropping another $40 on a Metropolitan and that ink since I've heard bad things about using a Safari/Vista/Al Star with it.

Just be sure not to put BSB in that Vista. For some reason it eats those Lamy feeds like candy. I'd recommend getting the 4.5 oz bottle and use the preppy that comes with, it's a hell of a pen.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

I'll know I've taken this hobby too far when I a wearing 6 condoms on my fingers in my office attempting to adjust a nib.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

xilixliadon posted:

I have a pack of 616 jumbos on the way from DealXtreme, I hope they write that well (or at least some of them).

Holy poo poo thanks. Now they are available from DX, that is awesome.
http://dx.com/p/hero-616-retro-style-pc-fountain-pen-green-red-black-10-pcs-214882

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

xilixliadon posted:

If I were to mix up a dark, dark green, like black with green undertones, would it be usable for legal stuffs?

Why not? You can sign in any color ink you want, most of the time.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Any recommendations on cheapish but decent quality paper? Spending $10 for a little rhodia pad doesn't really seem worth it. Plus, with how much I write it would be used up pretty quickly.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DanManIt posted:

Any recommendations on cheapish but decent quality paper? Spending $10 for a little rhodia pad doesn't really seem worth it. Plus, with how much I write it would be used up pretty quickly.

What size are you after? I'm paying $6 each for Rhodia A5 dot pads.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

wshngmchn posted:

I intentionally bought a fountain pen once, and it stopped working almost immediately.

That's pretty vague - you probably got either a defective pen or a terrible pen. Care to expound? Or is this just one of those "you guys are so lame to get excited about this" posts?

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

That's pretty vague - you probably got either a defective pen or a terrible pen. Care to expound? Or is this just one of those "you guys are so lame to get excited about this" posts?

And we may be lame, but we're having tons of fun with it.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Welsper posted:

What size are you after? I'm paying $6 each for Rhodia A5 dot pads.

I was just looking at small notepad spiral bound ones on amazon. Where are you getting yours?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DanManIt posted:

I was just looking at small notepad spiral bound ones on amazon. Where are you getting yours?

Here. It's $12.50 for shipping outside Australia though.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

wshngmchn posted:

This is awesome, sounds like something Mark Twain would say.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

xilixliadon posted:

Noodler's Zhivago.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aircorp Blue-Black comes out as dark black-green with a suggestion of blue.

E: Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao is a less hostile alternative to Noodler's Baystate Blue

Welsper fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Arcturas posted:

Why not? You can sign in any color ink you want, most of the time.

I resist signing legal documents in black out of habit -- I can see wanting to make sure it's distinct.

On the subject of Baystate Blue, my reccomendation is to buy a sample first. Baystate Blue is the devil's ink, due to a dexterity malfunction I spilled it on my sink and it immediately stained the porcealin, it took a ridiculous amount of scrubbing to clean. Super stubborn on fingers too. It also permanently stained the pen I put it in. Put it in a pen you don't care too much about and test it first. I wound up ditching the bottle after that.

My wife bought me a super crappy fountain pen from Target's clearance rack. It's purple and has an Alice in Wonderland motif on it and looks like garbage -- but it writes super smooth, uses international carts too. So cheap though that the cap has cracked in two spots. Wish I could pull this nib out and use it on my day to day pen.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 15, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I got my mom a Pelikan M150 and some Iroshizuku ink, Kon-Peki, for her birthday a few days ago. The pen is a lot smaller than I imagine, looks like a normal throw-away ballpoint at first glance to me, really thin, especially considering it has a built-in filling system. It's apparently just slightly smaller than the M200, so that pen is also smaller than I thought it was, with the M800 being more what I thought those were like. This being said the thing writes wonderfully, super smooth, on par with, or maybe even better than, my Sailor 1911. The ink is a really nice blue too, it's like cerulean and shades nicely. If you're into blue inks I'd say it's worth a look.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Brightman posted:

I got my mom a Pelikan M150 and some Iroshizuku ink, Kon-Peki, for her birthday a few days ago. The pen is a lot smaller than I imagine, looks like a normal throw-away ballpoint at first glance to me, really thin, especially considering it has a built-in filling system. It's apparently just slightly smaller than the M200, so that pen is also smaller than I thought it was, with the M800 being more what I thought those were like. This being said the thing writes wonderfully, super smooth, on par with, or maybe even better than, my Sailor 1911. The ink is a really nice blue too, it's like cerulean and shades nicely. If you're into blue inks I'd say it's worth a look.

This is pretty much how I feel about my P205. It's a really nice writing pen, but it just doesn't feel very nice in my hand, so I never use it.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006

Verdugo posted:

I resist signing legal documents in black out of habit -- I can see wanting to make sure it's distinct.

On the subject of Baystate Blue, my reccomendation is to buy a sample first. Baystate Blue is the devil's ink, due to a dexterity malfunction I spilled it on my sink and it immediately stained the porcealin, it took a ridiculous amount of scrubbing to clean. Super stubborn on fingers too. It also permanently stained the pen I put it in. Put it in a pen you don't care too much about and test it first. I wound up ditching the bottle after that.

My wife bought me a super crappy fountain pen from Target's clearance rack. It's purple and has an Alice in Wonderland motif on it and looks like garbage -- but it writes super smooth, uses international carts too. So cheap though that the cap has cracked in two spots. Wish I could pull this nib out and use it on my day to day pen.

I have baystate blue in my cheapo plumix right now, and I must say I really like it so far. It doesn't seem to start that bad in comparison to liberties Elysium. Not as nice as HoD. Is it really that bad for pens. My wife is buying me a lammy alstar for our anniversary. I was seriously planning on getting a big bottle of Baystate...

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

Rodney Chops posted:

I have baystate blue in my cheapo plumix right now, and I must say I really like it so far. It doesn't seem to start that bad in comparison to liberties Elysium. Not as nice as HoD. Is it really that bad for pens. My wife is buying me a lammy alstar for our anniversary. I was seriously planning on getting a big bottle of Baystate...

It's not bad in all pens, but specifically has issues in the Lamy safari/vista/alstar. I have an Al-Star (amazing pen), and specifically have never put my baystate blue in it. I hear it screws up the feed. However, if you get a 4.5 oz bottle, I believe they all come with an eyedropper filler platinum preppy, and that would be fine to use it with (and is also a great pen)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Much as Nathan would like to defend his ink, Richard Binder has had a long-standing warning on his website stating that they've seen Baystate Blue eat through countless pens and feeds.

Given that Richard Binder and John Mottishaw basically see thousands of pens go under their tools every month and are probably America's foremost experts on nibs and fountain pens, I'd be inclined to take their word as gospel or close to it.

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

Kessel posted:

Much as Nathan would like to defend his ink, Richard Binder has had a long-standing warning on his website stating that they've seen Baystate Blue eat through countless pens and feeds.

Given that Richard Binder and John Mottishaw basically see thousands of pens go under their tools every month and are probably America's foremost experts on nibs and fountain pens, I'd be inclined to take their word as gospel or close to it.

Haven't seen his site before, it's very good. Here's the paragraph that talks about baystate blue, copied straight from the "the good the bad and the ugly" section of his site (richardpens.com)

"Strongly alkaline inks can eat some organic resins, especially celluloid and Omas’ vegetal resin — which is very much like celluloid. Parker made the “51” of acrylic because its super-quick drying “51” ink turned out to like noshing on celluloid pens. (The problem was largely due to the ink’s alkalinity that contributed to quick drying by eating into the paper’s cellulose fibers.) Among modern inks, Noodler’s Baystate colors stain terribly and are are also alkaline enough to destroy some plastics, including the materials from which Pilot and Lamy feeds are made and the resins used in the barrels of some makers’ piston-filling pens. Some other Noodler’s inks, whose identities I have not yet pinned down, will reduce latex sacs to goo. This destruction occurs without the presence of metal; it is not the “gummy sac” problem that is caused by improperly formulated latex."

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006

Kessel posted:

Hmmm. You may be onto something then. His site is stapled with warnings against it. I doubt I will ever have a nicer pen then this, and I don't want to wreck it. The colour itself is head and shoulders more vibrant than the rest though. I think I will go with xil's idea and just use the preppy with it. Thanks guys!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xilixliadon posted:

Haven't seen his site before, it's very good. Here's the paragraph that talks about baystate blue, copied straight from the "the good the bad and the ugly" section of his site (richardpens.com)

"Strongly alkaline inks can eat some organic resins, especially celluloid and Omas’ vegetal resin — which is very much like celluloid. Parker made the “51” of acrylic because its super-quick drying “51” ink turned out to like noshing on celluloid pens. (The problem was largely due to the ink’s alkalinity that contributed to quick drying by eating into the paper’s cellulose fibers.) Among modern inks, Noodler’s Baystate colors stain terribly and are are also alkaline enough to destroy some plastics, including the materials from which Pilot and Lamy feeds are made and the resins used in the barrels of some makers’ piston-filling pens. Some other Noodler’s inks, whose identities I have not yet pinned down, will reduce latex sacs to goo. This destruction occurs without the presence of metal; it is not the “gummy sac” problem that is caused by improperly formulated latex."

Hmm... I'm a huge fan of BSB and normally keep it in my Vac 700 (switching off with Blue Eel at times) but it makes me wonder. How often do folks lubricate the metal rod compared to full fillings of ink? Every time? Every other time? Never? Which ink(s) are you using?

I find that when using BSB I feel the need to lubricate nearly every time, but I've never thought to keep track of it until now. Could this be related or am I just imagining things?

*That said, the Eel series is great for piston/vac pens. Really smooths things out, and Black Eel is bulletproof! It's no HoD, but it's close.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rodney Chops posted:

Hmmm. You may be onto something then. His site is stapled with warnings against it. I doubt I will ever have a nicer pen then this, and I don't want to wreck it. The colour itself is head and shoulders more vibrant than the rest though. I think I will go with xil's idea and just use the preppy with it. Thanks guys!

It should be okay to use BSB or other harsher inks by Nathan as long as you go in with your eyes open. That said, BSB in particular is legendary for staining pens and eating feeds.

Solkanar512 posted:

Hmm... I'm a huge fan of BSB and normally keep it in my Vac 700 (switching off with Blue Eel at times) but it makes me wonder. How often do folks lubricate the metal rod compared to full fillings of ink? Every time? Every other time? Never? Which ink(s) are you using?

I find that when using BSB I feel the need to lubricate nearly every time, but I've never thought to keep track of it until now. Could this be related or am I just imagining things?

*That said, the Eel series is great for piston/vac pens. Really smooths things out, and Black Eel is bulletproof! It's no HoD, but it's close.

You should definitely not feel the need to lubricate your piston/plunger every single fill. That is a strong indicator that the ink is not a good fit for your pen. I used a Custom 823 for years and lubricated it exactly once through its whole lifetime.

For those of you just starting out in fountain pens, Richard Binder (richardspens.com) and John Mottishaw (nibs.com) are the two foremost nibmeisters in America. Mottishaw in particular is very fond of Japanese pens and was basically instrumental in convincing Nakaya (a very well-known studio that handmakes fountain pens in Japan) to sell in America. To this day, Nakaya doesn't provide special customised nibs to customers in America; the craftsmen and nibmeisters trust Mottishaw so much that they prefer to ship the nibs to him and let him customise them for American customers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

An AFFORDABLE pen shop opened in Toronto! http://www.wonderpens.ca/

$7 shipping across Canada, free for $100+ orders.

They have a pretty big variety of stuff, pricing all over. Doesn't seem to be any retail markup on the basic Twsbi 580 for example and they have dirt cheap Platinum Preppies. The Al-Stars seem a bit pricy though, compared to Safaris at least.

Lots of great stationery that's hard to find here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

An AFFORDABLE pen shop opened in Toronto! http://www.wonderpens.ca/

$7 shipping across Canada, free for $100+ orders.

They have a pretty big variety of stuff, pricing all over. Doesn't seem to be any retail markup on the basic Twsbi 580 for example and they have dirt cheap Platinum Preppies. The Al-Stars seem a bit pricy though, compared to Safaris at least.

Lots of great stationery that's hard to find here too.

Yesssss! This will be awesome. :canada:

Now I will feel bad for doing all the research on gouletpens then buying it from another store.