Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ That strikes me as the big-3 petulantly picking up their toys and going home. Maybe they're trying to generate some consumer outrage to hopefully get the 3-year ruling reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lexicon posted:

Wow, pretty significant Koodo pricing changes today: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

The Data Saver is now far, far worse. Yay Canada!

Hahaha, poo poo, glad I got my plan ordered the day before this happened. Although if it turns out this also applies to existing plans... It'll be the shortest run I've had on a carrier! :v:

Edit: All the cheaper base plans also increased by $5 each, with zero change in content. What a bunch of twats.

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 15, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am never letting go of my 6GB/$30 addon holy loving poo poo.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am never letting go of my 6GB/$30 addon holy loving poo poo.

Also: Telus prices :lol:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/telus-to-increase-prices-as-it-moves-to-two-year-plans/

Edit: Durr posted on the last page.

Here's bell's new plans: http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/heres-bells-new-monthly-rate-plans-voice-voice-and-data-lite-and-voice-and-data-plus/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ, those are so ridiculous - who the gently caress would pay that much for that little of data. Even regular people should loving gasp at that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's amazing. All that should have changed for carriers from the shorter contracts is phone subsidies. Instead, they... increase cost of all their plans? Logic! :bravo:

I'd really like to see a comparative graph of plans vs. price over the years for different countries. Canada would be going up.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Do the new data saver rates on Koodo apply to existing accounts that use data saver, or only when you switch your plan? I'm on Virgin's pay per use data and I'm considering a preemptive switch to bundled data before we get an "industry standard" adjustment.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

Do the new data saver rates on Koodo apply to existing accounts that use data saver, or only when you switch your plan? I'm on Virgin's pay per use data and I'm considering a preemptive switch to bundled data before we get an "industry standard" adjustment.

If you're not already on Koodo, I think you're too late. For those who already are on Koodo, I did just swing by their kiosk and asked if I would still have the old data saver rates, even though it's not really "part" of the plan... Take this with a grain of salt, but I'm told I would keep them.

I will still be watching my first invoice like a hawk.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Holy poo poo those are brutal!

I'm going to hold onto this $60 6GB Canada wide thing as long as I can.. but technically I guess it's only a matter of time now since Koodo is month to month.. They could just technically bump me to some retarded plan whenever they wanted, couldn't they?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

According to FB:

"Honestly, if the devices cost $500+ to buy them outright, then what did we all expect with this CRTC 3yr ban? The money needs to be made from the original purchase of the device. If you have your own devices or buy them out, the prices for the plans will decrease. I'm sure this is only to make back the cost of the devices. Sorry, this CRTC 2yr plan is a good idea, but there was no loving way the cost would have stayed the same. What did we all honestly expect? CRTC should ban high costs of cell phones. That way it's more affordable. gently caress this CRTC bullshit, I was never happy with it to begin. Sorry for the rant."

"Yes the device is paid off within a year (depending on the model), but they do have to make money as well. To employ people, like myself, in tech support/sales, for upgrades/repairs that are needed for the network and towers, technicians to fix/install/repair towers...
I understand the CRTC are trying to help, but then we could all argue against all companies re: huge markups. Like manufacturing glasses. There is a HUGE markup for what they really pay to what our customers pay. Lenscrafters charge the highest (my sunglasses were shy of a thousand bucks) where the material cost them was dollars...and they're becoming dominant.
It's unfortunate as this world will only become worse in time."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

If you have your own devices or buy them out, the prices for the plans will decrease.

I want what this guy is smoking.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone have a cogent explanation for the prevalence of this absurd subsidy model in cellular? It's far from a Canadian-only concept, so we can't simply blame Canada's docile consumers.

I can't think of another market where this odd coupling of device and service goes on. No one expects their cable company to chip in for, and directly sell, televisions. I get that these things are expensive and progress is swift, but so is the case with computers (especially historically). And if financing is really that big of a deal - well, tire leasing is apparently now a thing - so if finance industry can manage that one, it should also be able to find a way to finance phones outside of a carrier setting.

I feel like most of the abuses in this market would go away if only device sales were divorced from service, and switching costs were lower.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want what this guy is smoking.

No kidding. The only indication of plan discounts for BYOD are tablets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Godinster posted:

No kidding. The only indication of plan discounts for BYOD are tablets.

Telus does have that $35 for BYOD, but it doesn't go into detail.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone have a cogent explanation for the prevalence of this absurd subsidy model in cellular? It's far from a Canadian-only concept, so we can't simply blame Canada's docile consumers.

I can't think of another market where this odd coupling of device and service goes on. No one expects their cable company to chip in for, and directly sell, televisions. I get that these things are expensive and progress is swift, but so is the case with computers (especially historically). And if financing is really that big of a deal - well, tire leasing is apparently now a thing - so if finance industry can manage that one, it should also be able to find a way to finance phones outside of a carrier setting.

I feel like most of the abuses in this market would go away if only device sales were divorced from service, and switching costs were lower.
People are really bad at long-term thinking. They will spend $1000 over three years in order to not have to pay $200 now because they compare the $25 payment to the $200 payment rather than the $1000 payment to the $200 payment.

Businesses know this and take advantage of it. Our government has zero consumer protection and is controlled entirely by industry so they let them exploit consumers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cowofwar posted:

People are really bad at long-term thinking. They will spend $1000 over three years in order to not have to pay $200 now because they compare the $25 payment to the $200 payment rather than the $1000 payment to the $200 payment.

Businesses know this and take advantage of it. Our government has zero consumer protection and is controlled entirely by industry so they let them exploit consumers.

Yeah, I totally get this. What I don't get is why we don't see more of it elsewhere in the economy. Obviously bad deals abound (e.g. payday lending in its entirety, or the unit cost of toilet paper at Shoppers versus Costco), but I don't know of any other examples where the linkage of a service and a product is such a dominant paradigm.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Maybe this was just an American thing, but as I recall you sued to have to rent telephones themselves from AT&T, not just pay for the landline itself. I bring this up to effectively say "'twas ever thus", because telephones are almost-but-not-quite unique in how utterly useless they are WITHOUT that ongoing service contract, and so it has always made a certain amount of intuitive sense to tie initial sale and initial service together. Add "people value short-term profit over long term" and "businesses like money" and you have the recipe for inertia.

Obviously the part about phones being useless without that ongoing service is less true now than it's ever been, but we (general we here) still think of our smartphones as phones rather than the PDAs they actually are and so we are still stuck with the accompanying habits of thought.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Great points. That's probably it.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Lexicon posted:

Remember that TVs started out with free service via an antenna and over the air transmission. Cable services came into the game fairly late, when people were already used to spending a pile of money up front for a TV. And like Dallan said, phones were useless without a service contract, so were traditionally sold/rented with that in mind. As a result we get to pick and choose our TV hardware but get the shaft when it comes to phones.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe this was just an American thing, but as I recall you sued to have to rent telephones themselves from AT&T, not just pay for the landline itself. I bring this up to effectively say "'twas ever thus", because telephones are almost-but-not-quite unique in how utterly useless they are WITHOUT that ongoing service contract, and so it has always made a certain amount of intuitive sense to tie initial sale and initial service together. Add "people value short-term profit over long term" and "businesses like money" and you have the recipe for inertia.

Obviously the part about phones being useless without that ongoing service is less true now than it's ever been, but we (general we here) still think of our smartphones as phones rather than the PDAs they actually are and so we are still stuck with the accompanying habits of thought.

Yeah that was in Canada too. I think it wasn't until they split up Ma Bell in the 80's that you were finally able to purchase a land line phone separate from the service.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

terriyaki posted:

Holy poo poo those are brutal!

I'm going to hold onto this $60 6GB Canada wide thing as long as I can.. but technically I guess it's only a matter of time now since Koodo is month to month.. They could just technically bump me to some retarded plan whenever they wanted, couldn't they?

The one saving grace is no, they can't. It's illegal in Canada to unilaterally change cellular phone contracts without express consent of the paying customer. This includes month to month.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has Rogers come out with theirs yet?

Squibbles posted:

Yeah that was in Canada too. I think it wasn't until they split up Ma Bell in the 80's that you were finally able to purchase a land line phone separate from the service.

It was a huge deal at my house when we got the phone with the LCD display.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

grack posted:

The one saving grace is no, they can't. It's illegal in Canada to unilaterally change cellular phone contracts without express consent of the paying customer. This includes month to month.

Thank you, baby Jesus!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
gently caress, now I am thinking that I should just sign a 3 year contract now to try and keep a reasonable rate.

I'd be looking at $100/month for 2 lines, shared 6GB data, unlimited calling, and I could grab a couple phones on the subsidy to resell later.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Don't do anything hasty. It won't stand.... This is posturing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Telus says their new two-year plans are better value despite higher prices, no joke.

Here is their homework:

quote:

Multiple subscribers:
NEW 2-YEAR PRICING: 2 iPhone 5 subscribers who take 2GB of data to share (1 GB each) will pay $77.50 each/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 2-year term - $155
CURRENT PRICING: $ 80/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 3-year term - $160

Single Subscriber:
NEW 2-YEAR PRICING: A new iPhone 5 customer who takes 1GB of data will pay $85/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 2-year term.
CURRENT PRICING: $ 80/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 3-year term.

Source: Telus Corp.

Yes. Their own calculations show that a single subscriber pays an extra $120 over two years but it's a good deal because uhh something about new CRTC rules for 'bill shock' aka price gouging for roaming, or something. Yeah I don't know.

Also, you know, they're 85 goddamn dollars per month. My mobilicity plan will cost under 40 spreading the ~$360 cost of a Nexus 4 over 48 months.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Does anyone here have any experience with breaking a contract through moving internationally? My 3 year plan is reaching its end and I need to renew and get a new phone. There's a solid chance however that I'd be moving to Europe at some point within one to two years, which obviously has me somewhat hesitant to commit to another plan, as great as the discount on the hardware would be.

Anyone know the rules around this? Is there an easy out if I do move (ex: just paying off the balance on the phone...)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cart posted:

Is there an easy out if I do move (ex: just paying off the balance on the phone...)

No.

Under the new CRTC rules, then you'll only have to pay the balance on your phone that hasn't been subsidized, but in the meantime earlier contracts still have arbitrary random cancellation fees.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you live in Quebec, where that has already been the law for a while now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jan posted:

No.

Under the new CRTC rules, then you'll only have to pay the balance on your phone that hasn't been subsidized, but in the meantime earlier contracts still have arbitrary random cancellation fees.

This is actually incorrect, it depends when the contract was signed. Telus and Fido both currently allow you to cancel a contract by paying off your remaining device subsidy, I'm unsure about the other carriers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It'll be interesting to see which carrier ends up being the best for low-voice-usage, data-heavy, BYOD customers once all of this shakes out. That crown used to belong to Koodo, but they've almost certainly lost it already.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

grack posted:

This is actually incorrect, it depends when the contract was signed. Telus and Fido both currently allow you to cancel a contract by paying off your remaining device subsidy, I'm unsure about the other carriers.

Rogers too. If you signed up after the policy took effect (Jan 26, 2012, iirc) you pay the pro-rated amount of the hardware subsidy you received.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WienerDog posted:

Rogers too. If you signed up after the policy took effect (Jan 26, 2012, iirc) you pay the pro-rated amount of the hardware subsidy you received.

I renewed before then so I think I owe them my left nut plus $1000 to cancel.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question, is this the thread we can use to talk about the almost monopoly of ISPs in Canada? Cause even though I'm with teksavvy, I got hosed by rogers today

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This, plus the stuff in the Toronto thread today makes me want to pick up and move back to Europe :smith:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question, is this the thread we can use to talk about the almost monopoly of ISPs in Canada? Cause even though I'm with teksavvy, I got hosed by rogers today

You want this thread.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
If you're currently in a three year term and are considering changing your plan, do it now. With Bell, and possibly with other carriers, your rate plan is associated with your contract length. After July 31, we won't have any 36 month contracts anymore. Meaning that if you want to change your plan and you are already in a 36 month term, you will not have any 36 month term plans to pick from (they wouldn't have renewed your contract) and therefore must pick a 24 month plan, which will cut a year out of your contract, and charge you some amount of termination fee. If you are doing an upgrade, this will not happen.

This new poo poo is still pretty confusing right now so I'll update if I learn anything new.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

And if you're currently looking to change your plan, you should do it now anyway because from what I've seen everything will cost a lot more in less than a month, particularly compared to what it cost here in Québec, where you could have a 60$ plan with unlimited canada-wide calling, caller ID, voicemail, messaging, and 3GB with pretty much any carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I wouldn't be too hasty in signing a new contract. For one thing, there's not really any big new flagship phones to take advantage of a subsidy with at the moment. But more importantly - when the dust settles in a month or two, there's no way in hell these lovely deals are going to persist as the norm. They will have their perpetual 'sales' and deals and so on like they do now, and I reckon by Christmas-time, there will be decent deals available for the same resulting ARPU as now with roughly the same plan features at the end of the day.

That's my bet, anyway.