Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

Doesnt have to be only film, it can be a digital point and shoot too as long as it doesnt function

Yeah, sorry didn't mean to make it sound like it was film only .. those are just the cheapest I see (most of the time) on CL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What does the "expanded ISO" of 25600 mean on the 70d specs? From what I can find it means that the range goes up to 25600, but the quality suffers above 12800 so they just claim that as the maximum "native" ISO.

Also, am I right in thinking that a 70d at 12800 ISO gives me 3 full stops of exposure over my XTi with 1600 ISO? Like, a shot exposed properly at 1/60 on the XTi would be exposed properly at 1/500 on the 70d? That seems like it can't be right.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Erwin posted:

What does the "expanded ISO" of 25600 mean on the 70d specs? From what I can find it means that the range goes up to 25600, but the quality suffers above 12800 so they just claim that as the maximum "native" ISO.

Also, am I right in thinking that a 70d at 12800 ISO gives me 3 full stops of exposure over my XTi with 1600 ISO? Like, a shot exposed properly at 1/60 on the XTi would be exposed properly at 1/500 on the 70d? That seems like it can't be right.

The sensor doesn't support that high of an ISO, but the camera will take a shot at 12800 and add one EV when it processes to JPG.

Might modify RAW shots too, but it's the same thing.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

fivre posted:

The sensor doesn't support that high of an ISO, but the camera will take a shot at 12800 and add one EV when it processes to JPG.

Might modify RAW shots too, but it's the same thing.

Yeah, basically. It doesn't modify the RAW data itself, just sticks an "lol iso 25600" entry into the exif data so Lightroom or whatever boosts the exposure when you process it.

Expanded ISO levels are always pretty drat terrible and unusable for pretty much anything where ludicrously excessive noise and non-existent sharpness are not desired.

Inf fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 15, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Expanded ISO is done in digital, instead of using amps on the sensor signal. It means you'll get a better result shooting at the max native ISO setting, then pushing in post.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Got it. I usually shoot RAW and adjust exposure in post, so I will stick to the native ISOs! :tipshat:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So as a complete hobbyist / newbie, what's the better prime?

Canon EF 35mm F/2 at $299 or a Sigma 30mm F1.4 at $399

Or are there better deals to be had on either of those?

Make decisions for me because I'm too stupid to make them on my own.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Wario In Real Life posted:

Make decisions for me because I'm too stupid to make them on my own.

The Sigma.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Probably the Sigma unless you shoot film and can't afford the Sigma 35/1.4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sigma 35mm/1.4 lens, best lens!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
That's kinda what I thought but I didn't know for sure. I've scoped a few places online for $350 which seems entirely reasonable.

Thanks guys, I'm getting super excited about this stuff.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Just so you know, you won't be able to use the Sigma 30/1.4 on a full frame camera if you ever decide to upgrade. Should be easy to flip it but just fyi. The Sigma 35/1.4 is full frame compatible however.

e: Also the Canon 35/2 is significantly smaller if that matters to you.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

40mm f/2.8 pancake :getin:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Fact. Its a little long at first on a crop sensor, but its sick nasty once you get used to it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Erwin posted:

Got it. I usually shoot RAW and adjust exposure in post, so I will stick to the native ISOs! :tipshat:

Technically, most, maybe even all, modern DSLRs do the same trick even on some of the "native" ISOs. Just shoot at whatever ISO makes sense for what you are shooting.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ShadeofBlue posted:

Technically, most, maybe even all, modern DSLRs do the same trick even on some of the "native" ISOs. Just shoot at whatever ISO makes sense for what you are shooting.

I don't think this is true. Although usually "in between" ISOs are not considered "native." For example, ISO 640 is not "native," But ISO 400 and 800 are.

That could be what you meant.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Canon refurb gear only available from the Canon USA site or, more specifically, does Canon Australia sell refurbed gear?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

evil_bunnY posted:

Expanded ISO is done in digital, instead of using amps on the sensor signal. It means you'll get a better result shooting at the max native ISO setting, then pushing in post.

Even the highest native ISO setting pushed in post is going to look like absolute poo poo though...so.........

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

somnambulist posted:

Even the highest native ISO setting pushed in post is going to look like absolute poo poo though...so.........
That kind of depends on the camera, but yeah, there'll be... issues :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

40mm f/2.8 pancake :getin:

Not especially fast but super cheap and small. Every time this lens come up we all rave about it and for good reasons. Lens is insanely sharp even wide open and is able to get really close to subjects.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
It's not just the quantity of noise, but the quality. On my older Rebel, high ISO produced repeating patterned bands of noise which is a problem even for B&W conversions.

Newer cameras I find will produce a better, more film like high ISO noise, which is way more manageable.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, my XTi is almost unusable at 1600 ISO. I can't wait to see how the 70d does at 12800. Was I right in my below assumption?

Erwin posted:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Properly exposed? Mostly. Regardless of noise though, there's no way the 2 images could look that similar due to dynamic range suffering at such high ISOs. Even if the 70D can do 12800 like it was 6400 on the 60D (the minimum expected 1 stop of this new sensor to make it worthwhile)...its still not exactly desirable. I'd be more interested in using 1600 and 3200 like it was 800 and 1600 before, respectively.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EOS 6D ($1599) and the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II ($1839) just hit the refurb store.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What's the significance of it hitting refurb store?

not trying to be cynical, but I don't understand - does this mean something for future? As in 6d being phased out, etc? It seems used/refurbs were about the same price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's like-new gear at eBay pricing with a year warranty. Also Canon Loyalty Program knocks it down another 10-20%.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

notwithoutmyanus posted:

not trying to be cynical, but I don't understand - does this mean something for future? As in 6d being phased out, etc? It seems used/refurbs were about the same price.

Canon refurbs can be purchased at a discount through their loyalty program. And they usually run sales with up to 20% off.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

Canon refurbs can be purchased at a discount through their loyalty program. And they usually run sales with up to 20% off.

This is only for bodies/bodies+lens and not just lenses correct?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Magic lantern has made progress on adding 3 stops of dynamic range to the 5d3 and 7d. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

...this one weird trick will give you three stops of shadow detail

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Manos posted:

There's a separate page for lenses.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

I was asking about the loyalty program, not just a refurb lens page.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Manos posted:

Yes, the loyalty program only applies to bodies.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Man, the 24-70 II is tempting... I can't find any information on how badly a Cokin P filter holder would vignette on that lens. I know there are 82mm adapters for that holder but I fear that a large portion of the wider range would be unusable. Plus I'd have to buy a few new screw-on filters at 82mm... Hmm

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For me, that'd be about €600 off the 6D, very, very tempting.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

Dren posted:

Magic lantern has made progress on adding 3 stops of dynamic range to the 5d3 and 7d. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

That's it. I'm selling my 5D mk. II and sacrificing as many virgins/goats as I have to in order to buy the 5D3. This is just amazing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

"at the cost of vertical image resolution and aliasing, especially in highlights and shadows"

They're scanning alternating lines at different ISOs, basically.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

That metal dude posted:

That's it. I'm selling my 5D mk. II and sacrificing as many virgins/goats as I have to in order to buy the 5D3. This is just amazing.

Maybe wait till they've tested it some more. They said they've only tested a week and that it could potentially damage the sensor though it hasn't yet. Ps it's still not as good as Sony/Nikon sensors.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

Dren posted:

Maybe wait till they've tested it some more. They said they've only tested a week and that it could potentially damage the sensor though it hasn't yet. Ps it's still not as good as Sony/Nikon sensors.

I'm going to need more goats and virgins then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

OF COURSE RIGHT AFTER I BUY MY CAMERA THEY DO THIS CANON I SWEAR I HATE YOU. :bang::bang::bang: