Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
edit: I realized I asked these questions like a year and a half ago, thanks past me

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Got my quad stuck in a tree last week :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCh8p2jsfc

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

ease posted:

The snake crawling over it at the end made for the perfect ending.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Gounads posted:

The snake crawling over it at the end made for the perfect ending.

Not a snake, ease just has tentacle fingers. :cthulhu:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Finally learned how to do flips :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHUGUAIyOs

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Erwin posted:

Is there a parts list somewhere if I just want to build a quad copter without researching motor brands and propeller sizes and whatnot? I'd basically like to build something to slap my gopro on and dick around with. My budget is fairly high, but I know better than to, say, buy something for $800 that I could build in an afternoon for $200. I can solder and assemble, but I'd prefer not to spend more than say 8 hours putting it together. Is that realistic?

So I've got a parts list together for babby's first quadcopter (mostly from here), but I have a few questions. Since I have a GoPro I figure I might as well get an FPV transmitter/receiver. Is there any reason to get a specific frequency range? If the controller is going to be 2.4GHz, should I get something that's not 2.4GHz?

Also, if I wanted to later add a motorized camera pan/tilt mount, does this controller have enough axes to control that plus flight? The description is kind of vague.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Erwin posted:

Is there any reason to get a specific frequency range? If the controller is going to be 2.4GHz, should I get something that's not 2.4GHz?
Right, don't get 2.4GHz if you're going to use that for your RC link as well.

In a nutshell.
900 MHz:
Pros: superior range and signal penetration (will pass though trees n' such, over small hills)
Cons: LARGE antennas, low video quality, big / hot / inefficient transmitters

1.2GHz / 1.3GHz:
Pros: good range and signal penetration (will still pass though trees)
Cons: video quality could be better. Range may be reduced if you use a LR UHF system.

5.8GHz:
Pros: Small & lightweight, best video
Cons: shortest range, pretty much anything will block the signal instantly... like fog even.

Oh yeah, I should also point out that if your area is flooded with other signals on the same frequency it'll have a negative impact on your video.
900 MHz = cellphone towers, 1.2GHz / 1.3GHz = ham radio guys. 5.8GHz is what your wireless router uses but unless you're flying inside your living room right next to your router it's not an issue.

Erwin posted:

Also, if I wanted to later add a motorized camera pan/tilt mount, does this controller have enough axes to control that plus flight? The description is kind of vague.

Yes, you'll need two and this has enough.

Widdershins fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 18, 2013

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Erwin posted:

So I've got a parts list together for babby's first quadcopter (mostly from here), but I have a few questions. Since I have a GoPro I figure I might as well get an FPV transmitter/receiver. Is there any reason to get a specific frequency range? If the controller is going to be 2.4GHz, should I get something that's not 2.4GHz?

You should absolutely not get a 2.4 video transmitter if you are going to use 2.4 for control. If you aren't going to be doing any long range flights 5.8ghz is a pretty good choice for video. The antenna's are small though multipath interference is a problem so you should look into circularly polarized antennas to eliminate that.

I have a 200mw 5.8ghz video transmitter on my quad. The furtherest I have ever been from it while flying is around 500m and the video was still nice and solid at that range.

8 channels is fine to run a quad and also control a camera mount. Most multirotor camera mounts only have rc control for the pitch axis. Roll isn't really that useful to be overridden and yaw is mostly accomplished by yawing the craft. There certainly are three axis gimbals etc but they aren't suitable for babbys first quad.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

5.8GHz it is, thanks! I don't care much about video quality (since I can retrieve the 1080p video from the GoPro after the flight) but I like the idea of small antennas. I don't plan on flying very far, at least for now.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Erwin posted:

5.8GHz it is, thanks! I don't care much about video quality (since I can retrieve the 1080p video from the GoPro after the flight) but I like the idea of small antennas. I don't plan on flying very far, at least for now.

Well whoo-doggies!
You should check out Fatshark FPV goggles with the integrated 5.8GHz video receiver.
Just got the Attitudes last weekend and I must say they are rather nice. It comes with the 5.8GHz video transmitter too AND it's got headtracking pan/tilt gyros that'll work with the 9X (if you buy the different cable... PS2 to headphone one).

I'm using 1.2 so I'm not sure what I'll do with the 5.8 just yet. Possibly use it as a repeater from my base station to my goggles or throw it on another plane.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27750__ImmersionRC_5_8GHz_Circular_Polarized_spiroNet_Antenna.html

These are the antennas I'm using for my 5.8 setup and they work great. 500m is the furtherest I've tried them. In comparison the omnis that came with the tx and rx crapped out at less than 100m.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
5.8ghz between 200mw and 600mw will easily do 1-2 miles on omni antennas. With a helical or crosshair on the receiver you can go many miles. I have done 3+ miles on 200mw 5.8ghz with an 8-turn helical. It doesn't lose signal through fog lol, maybe heavy clouds. Be sure to turn auto shutdown OFF on the GoPro before you fly!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

This isn't a question about RC aerial vehicles, but I think that you guys might be able to give me a hand.

I'm designing a small underwater vehicle and I'm looking for motors to build into the thrusters. Brushless motors are very appealing since they can (theoretically) run submerged in oil, which is a good way to eliminate the effects of pressure at depth. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a motor to fit the application. To efficiently turn a prop underwater I need a motor with relatively low RPM and high torque, but the majority of brushless motors I've found are designed for aircraft and operate at many thousands of RPM with relatively low torque. I'm aiming to run the system at 12VDC, but that largely depends on which motors I use and could be easily changed.

Is there a 12VDC, <2000RPM brushless inrunner motor that can produce about 15oz-in of torque, while also being more reasonably priced than these crazy things? Are there any particular caveats I should know about brushless motors? Should I dive into the AI RC Car thread for answers?

Thanks, and sorry is this is too far off-topic.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying
If you can't find the motor you're looking for with low kv, have you considered using a gearbox to gear down?

Edit:
Here's HobbyKing's ready made offerings

Widdershins fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 19, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Erwin posted:

Just want to drop in a friendly reminder that pretty much every fpv setup is over the unlicensed power allotment, so you should go get your amateur ham radio operator license.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Glorgnole posted:

This isn't a question about RC aerial vehicles, but I think that you guys might be able to give me a hand.

I'm designing a small underwater vehicle and I'm looking for motors to build into the thrusters. Brushless motors are very appealing since they can (theoretically) run submerged in oil, which is a good way to eliminate the effects of pressure at depth. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a motor to fit the application. To efficiently turn a prop underwater I need a motor with relatively low RPM and high torque, but the majority of brushless motors I've found are designed for aircraft and operate at many thousands of RPM with relatively low torque. I'm aiming to run the system at 12VDC, but that largely depends on which motors I use and could be easily changed.
What kind of thrust and propeller sizes are we talking about here?

I have built a small thruster with Graupner Speed 720 BB Torque (brushed) motor turning a 60 mm propeller and that produced 15 N of thrust at 12V/4A. That motor advertises a no-load speed of 4100 RPM. That's equal to a brushless motor with 340 rpm/V rating, which is from the lower end of the RPM range, but still easily available from the normal RC vehicle motor selection.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

cyberbug posted:

What kind of thrust and propeller sizes are we talking about here?

I have built a small thruster with Graupner Speed 720 BB Torque (brushed) motor turning a 60 mm propeller and that produced 15 N of thrust at 12V/4A. That motor advertises a no-load speed of 4100 RPM. That's equal to a brushless motor with 340 rpm/V rating, which is from the lower end of the RPM range, but still easily available from the normal RC vehicle motor selection.

The prop will probably be around 10cm. As far as thrust goes, I'm aiming for "as much as possible" within the constraints of battery life and the power system's max amp rating. I'll have more specific numbers once I finish the rest of the design.

The Ammo 28-56-1530 from Great Planes should provide plenty of power without having excessive RPM at 12V. I found a 4.3:1 planetary gearbox to go with it, which brings the maximum no-load speed down to about 4300 RPM. I found a speed controller rated for 10 amps more than the motor's continuous current to compensate for the likelihood of greater current load due to water resistance, although I'll try to find one without extras like integrated servo control.

Are the control signals for brushless ESCs different from servo PWM signals?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Glorgnole posted:

Are the control signals for brushless ESCs different from servo PWM signals?
no

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I test flew my new brushless gimbal on my quad yesterday. I haven't messed with the pid's for it yet but the results are pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDO_aH8ICj4

Now of course I need to get a right angle 2.5mm plug for the gopro as the old one won't fit in the gimbal, there is always an overlooked minor part :negative:

This is the gimbal I'm using. Quality seems decent for the price http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=872&productname=

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I went slope soaring the other week and had a great time. It's nice to fly for 45 mins and use the motor for only a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB6vvjCXpyE

I'm also trying to sell this plane as an RTF FPV plane cuz I got too much FPV stuff right now.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17367-Phoenix-2000-Glider-FPV-RTF-Rx-Ready-Lawmate-OSD-Hitec-HS-65MG

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

I'm also trying to sell this plane as an RTF FPV plane cuz I got too much FPV stuff right now.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17367-Phoenix-2000-Glider-FPV-RTF-Rx-Ready-Lawmate-OSD-Hitec-HS-65MG
FYI viewing that requires registering in the FPV forums.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Oh yeah, duh. Well here's the specs if anyone is interested. It's a Phoenix 2000.

Plane Specs:
2m wingspan
ABS fuse
Plush 40A ESC
Brushless motor from Blaze ST (runs really nice)
3x Hitec HS-65MG servos and Hyperion servo on rudder
1x Turnigy 180 degree digital servo for camera pan
Folding 9x6 prop + 1 spare folding 9x6 prop

FPV Specs:
Lawmate 500mw 2.4ghz vtx
650TVL Starlight Camera
Suppo Pigeon OSD in both metric and standard
Shielded video signal wires
CC BEC powering FPV gear, 5v-12v stepup for camera power
UHF antenna + $5 otherwise not included
No vtx antenna included

$265 + shipping

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Also, if anyone is in Colorado or close enough to drive, we are having another big FPV meetup in South Park on July 20/21st.

More info here (don't need to be a member to see this one)

We're going to have a few contests like a 1 mile race out and back, a flying challenge where you have to fly through gates in a specific order, and a spot landing challenge where everyone has to glide from a set altitude and land as close to a target as possible. We will also have a raffle for the forest fire victims and first responders. I've got a bunch of prizes coming from ReadymadeRC, Flite Evolution, TBS, ChickenSashimi, Eagletree, and Circular Wireless.

BYOB

This is what the meet is like:
http://vimeo.com/66481845

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
OK. My tx arrived, along with the iMac b6ac charger and a 1800mah 9.9v LiFe 5c battery.

I've set it to LiFe mode, 9.9v, with 1750mah charge capacity, and 0.9amp max charge rate. Do I just plug in the balance and power plugs then hit start?

Is 1c (1.8amps) the fastest I should safely charge? The battery is a zippy tx series battery from hobby King. Which claims a fast charge rate.

Edit: and of course while the balance leads go in fine. There doesn't seem to be an JST-XH adapter for the actual charging +ve and -ve. Electrical tape, alligator clip end, and pins to the rescue. No fire yet.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 27, 2013

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've been in and out of RC helis and the like for 4 or 5 years. Bought, built, crashed, rebuilt, crashed and got sick of the cycle for a T-Rex a few years ago. Granted, it's mostly because I suck as a pilot, but still, it's frustrating and not fun for that to happen. I've seen a few quads come out and was interested in getting one but nothing came of it. I went to my local hobby shop and they had the Blade Nano QX RTF and BTF for sale. I picked up the RTF, took it home and charged the battery over USB. I tried it in my house and thought 'gently caress, more wasted money.' It was close to uncontrollable. Then I took it outside and trimmed it and set the throws to 70% versus the 100% they are set up as right out of the box. I am extremely happy with this little quad. I was able to get it trimmed and am able to do some forward/back flight with very little effort. The part count is pretty low, with the 4 in 1 board being the most expensive. The motors are brushed, but at that size, probably for the best. I'd love to be able to invest the time (and money) in a 'real' quad, but for $90 RTF, this is well worth the money. Great little quad to play around with.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

My latest park flight with my quad and gimbal. I've pretty much got it dialed in now. Its taking some getting used to flying fpv with the camera so stabilized. I think I might add a board cam mounted to the frame as the primary fpv camera. Maybe with a video switch so I can flip between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1qq42aLNI

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Eeek posted:

I've been in and out of RC helis and the like for 4 or 5 years. Bought, built, crashed, rebuilt, crashed and got sick of the cycle for a T-Rex a few years ago. Granted, it's mostly because I suck as a pilot, but still, it's frustrating and not fun for that to happen. I've seen a few quads come out and was interested in getting one but nothing came of it. I went to my local hobby shop and they had the Blade Nano QX RTF and BTF for sale. I picked up the RTF, took it home and charged the battery over USB. I tried it in my house and thought 'gently caress, more wasted money.' It was close to uncontrollable. Then I took it outside and trimmed it and set the throws to 70% versus the 100% they are set up as right out of the box. I am extremely happy with this little quad. I was able to get it trimmed and am able to do some forward/back flight with very little effort. The part count is pretty low, with the 4 in 1 board being the most expensive. The motors are brushed, but at that size, probably for the best. I'd love to be able to invest the time (and money) in a 'real' quad, but for $90 RTF, this is well worth the money. Great little quad to play around with.

I bought one too on a whim. Extremely smooth. I haven't found a good hover power setting because it keeps hitting its own vortexes but other than that it flies great. The gyro on the thing is wicked. I can drop mine from chest height upside down, apply power after dropping it, and it will stabilize upright before my knee.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Honestly, it's the closest thing to flying something out of a simulator I've ever seen. That solid. The biggest mistake you can make with it is not letting it stabilize on start up on a flat surface. It always has to be on a flat even surface on initialization.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I cam across a free Skyhunter, which is great because I was going to buy one anyway. The catch is that it had nosed in at about 60mph. It was totally repairable though. Thinking of going big time with Ruby autopilot and OSD. That system is freakin awesome. Someone recently flew 20 miles out and back with a SH and 15000mah on 4S.

Also today we tested binding two UHFs to one plane so we can hand off control midway through a mission. At our meet in a few weeks we want to fly 8 miles to another location and hand off control halfway through, land at the 2nd location, and then fly back to the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q7PNl595Ac

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Well I just ordered a FrSky module for my 9CAP as well as an HKPilot (APM clone) and GPS module from hobbyking as the start of my adventure into quadcopter territory. My plan is to order the rest of the stuff from the US warehouse and go pick it up in person once the stuff from China arrives, now the wait begins...

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Hmm, I was considering getting a DJI Phantom to use with a gopro, but now it looks like Horizon Hobbies is releasing a Blade version of a gopro quad.

http://www.bladehelis.com/350QX/

Comes out in fall, about $100 less than to Phantom and in both rtf and byo transmitter. It seems perfect for some one like me who doesn't like to build.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Eeek posted:

Hmm, I was considering getting a DJI Phantom to use with a gopro, but now it looks like Horizon Hobbies is releasing a Blade version of a gopro quad.

http://www.bladehelis.com/350QX/

Comes out in fall, about $100 less than to Phantom and in both rtf and byo transmitter. It seems perfect for some one like me who doesn't like to build.

Even more so its going to corner the market on people who don't know how or are too scared to get into building. Coming from a big name like Horizon/Blade too, that's amazing. And the SAFE tech on their recently released NQX is amazing. I can drop the thing at knee height upside down and it stabilizes upright before it hits the ground.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Ordered this cheap frame from amazon :

A little disappointed the props are still in view with the stock gopro mounting, but it's a nice primer before I buy a proper spider frame. I'll probably add landing gear and drop the gopro lower than the belly to cheat for a bit before I get something else. Flies pretty good, even at first with my stock PID's from the 450.

I'm between video frequencies right now, as I broke my good 5.8ghz tx, and I'm gathering 1.3ghz gear. Flying LOS sucks.

ease fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 12, 2013

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Finally put in an order for a bixler 2.

Unfortunately, I did it somewhat on a whim, and noticed after there where a few connectors I should get, and it wasn't much for the recommended upgraded motor + prop.

I sent in a ticket asking for my order to be modified within 30 mins. When I finally got in touch with someone a few hours later, they told me the pick ticket had already printed in the warehouse, and they couldn't change anything. Not even combine a new order to it to save shipping.

Working at a distributor, I think that's kind bullshit. I can call our warehouse and get a ticket torn up, then print a new one.

My first order to hobby king I got canceled with no issue, so I really wasn't expecting this lack of assistance.

Anyways, more shipping and an ESC I likely won't use, could be worse.

Anyone manage to find a good write up on osd and rth systems?

Edit:

Took my time going through parts and options for which warehouse I shipped from. As it turns out, I think I'm just out 17 bucks give or take for extra shipping, and maybe a 20 dollar battery, but I'll see if I can make it fit.

Everything else I was missing (connectors, motor, prop, servo, battery that fits), was under 1kg so could go registered air mail from the global warehouse for 18 bucks.

I think I should be ok with the esc I originally ordered even on the stronger motor. The 2826-6 outrunner motor with a 6x4 prop should be about 25 amps at full throttle. The Turnigy dlux 30 amp, is rated to 40 amp burst, so I think it should be fine.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 14, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Where are you located? If you're averse to placing a second order from Hobbyking's China warehouse you can probably order the small parts you want from other US-based places that sell the same stuff.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ease posted:

Its a pity there weren't any friendly heli pilots flying nearby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiJWIfpQMU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

Where are you located? If you're averse to placing a second order from Hobbyking's China warehouse you can probably order the small parts you want from other US-based places that sell the same stuff.

In Canada. Unfortunately it seems shipping anything here has a fairly high cost. Buying locally (in Canada) has a high mark up, and every place seems to have their own selection of brands they sell. Hobby king has a good assortment of reviews on the more popular products, even if they get adjusted and censored a bit.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

echomadman posted:

Its a pity there weren't any friendly heli pilots flying nearby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiJWIfpQMU

I Had to resort to a tree trimming pole, with a bamboo stake taped to the end, while standing on my truck to get my v911 out of a tree the other day. It was a good 30-40' up there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picked up a new Blade MQX from the LHS yesterday. Flew it around the yard a bit, but I am in over my head a bit yet coming from the fixed-wing world. No huge crashes, just some plops into the grass.

Is there a good guide out there for transitioning from fixed wing crafts to quads? I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that its not traveling on a predetermined path based on the direction its moving, like a plane is. For instance, when flying forward, I can apply rudder, flip the quad around, but momentum is still carrying it forward (which is now backward). I am also having a hard time getting the throttle/elevator ratio correctly so that I can move forwards without a huge drop in altitude, or a huge jump.

I have Phoenix, so I will be flying the MQX like crazy on that, but are there any other resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
90% of what applies to a RC single rotor heli applies to a multi-rotor, including how they behave in the air.

This guy has a fairly comprehensive series of tutorials you might watch to get you going. If you don't want to start at day 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_ITWmlT-U

You can try skipping ahead to day 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvCZo4CByvc