Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Very Nice Eraser posted:

If I successfully parallel parked on the first try I'd buy a lottery ticket! Post if you need more subjects to photograph..

Sorry, didn't check back in with the thread until I got home. Here are some pertinent pictures. If you want the full-size ones, let me know.

There was a woman in Lafayette Park taking her turtles out for a walk. San Francisco, everybody.

The church:

Lafayette park:

The freeway revolt statue:

See how new everything in the park is? I stand by my earlier assertion that if there was a cask in Lafayette park, it's gone now. Alternatively if it's still there, any of the landmarks that would have pointed us to it have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Verse 2 and Verse 6

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Does anybody have the full text of the parts of that book relevant to the verses?

Abroad in America: Visitors to the New Nation 1776-1914
edited by Marc Pachter and Frances Wein (1976)

Not the "full text", but here are the images from the q4t "literary references" thread, for general reference and those who haven't seen them yet:

Verse 2:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

and

Verse 6:

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes

Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Also, from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island:

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buccaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
Exactly in the ancient way,
Can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

--So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave:
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their creations lie!

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Re: Athens of Boston

A great find, but yet another schizophrenic clue. Samuel Adams, one of the supposed originators of the term, also says "Boston might become a Christian Sparta." So, is it Athens or Sparta? Make up your goddamn mind.

There is also an associated term "Boston Brahmin" coined by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1860 to describe wealthy Beacon Hill families. Same problem: he also says that the nearby State House and Boston in general is "The Hub of the Solar System". This is starting to feel like Boston has been called everything.

Anyway, Athens of Boston makes Louisburg Square the cask's park. There is a JS Copley (the painter) connection and a connection to the State House and its architect. There is a statue of Columbus, which might work as Italian + globes. But there isn't much else... There is an eagle near the State House, but it's definitely not the right one, at least to me.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

fishbone posted:

Cask 3

"Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing"

When those two lines were posted before I thought he was referring to a bench, then this picture next to the gate has a bench right there. Wanna dig under that bench. In this case the next lines could be overkill

Alternately, this could refer to the tide coming in and out. The wooden posts furthest inland would be last touched by the rising tide or first seen standing when it's going out.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
ChickenOfTomorrow, great pictures, thanks! The Freeway Revolt statue has been moved; in some GIS pictures it's on top of a rock, not a wood base. I agree that if the cask was inside Lafayette Park - articulately the south side - it's gone. I guess I'll have to hunt down some older pictures of the park. I think my next approach is to figure out where that statue came from; the 'Octavia' on the base implies maybe it was on Octavia Street once?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
San Francisco

"White House close at hand"

is this the white house?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

nocal posted:

San Francisco

is this the white house?

Possibly, but it's not near any of the other clues and it was abandoned and dilapidating when Preiss was writing the book.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

fishbone posted:

Cask 3

Some of this has already been covered, but regarding the final few verses:

"After circle and square..."
It has already been established that this is a reference to the Elizabethan Gardens

"In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood"

A reference to the small path leading north from the gardens to the "water gate", and beyond that the beach

"Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing"

Perhaps a reference to the varies lines of wooden ruins, presumably docks, that are on the beach? My theory is that "last touched" refers to those that are furthest from where the path hits the beach...perhaps the topology makes (or made) them the first ones visible as you walk towards the beach.

"Look north at the wing
And dig
To achieve
By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination
Your goal."

North of the Elizabethan Gardens, at the end of the path through the Water Gate, looking north from beach, you can see the Wright Brothers Memorial way off in the distance

It's shape?

And inscribed at the base, "In Commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright. Conceived by genius. Achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

My theory is that the cask is buried at the furthest wooden remnants from where the path hits the beach at the north end of the island, the only location where the Wright Brothers Memorial is visible.

I'm convinced. If I lived near there, I'd be heading out to dig.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Bok Bok posted:

Alternately, this could refer to the tide coming in and out. The wooden posts furthest inland would be last touched by the rising tide or first seen standing when it's going out.

This makes a ton of sense along with fishbones theory.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

einTier posted:

I'm convinced. If I lived near there, I'd be heading out to dig.

Unfortunately it's also been established that it's a federal crime to dig on Roanoke...

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Nice pic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BJG posted:

Nice pic.

Yeah, but was that bird there in i981? :v:

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Bok Bok posted:

This makes sense, the first post which I guess is not in that photo, and all that guff about the wright brother memorial is telling you which direction to face.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

Guuse posted:

First zoomed in a bit. Liberty actually wouldn't be that bad for the leftmost spire.

The thing that I find interesting about the Russian pane is that none of the onion domes match in style, and none of them seem to be exactly symmetrical to themselves either. The windows in the middle dome are also different shapes. Yes, this could obviously be attributed to the artist's hand, or other elements blocking the views, or even a combination of elements from different buildings. But I'm starting to wonder if the 2 pieces in the middle of that image point to maybe 2 peninsulas and 2 islands on a shoreline that the artist hid within a generic onion dome sketch (to give a Russian link).

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Pas2 posted:

This makes a ton of sense along with fishbones theory.

But you have to stand under the thing that is last touched or first seen standing, or at least that's how I interpret it.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 1

I was just browsing http://www.lincoln-highway-museum.org/FlagDay-150/FD-150-II-Index.html

and I noticed the view from the postcard pictures of the Palace of the Legion of Honor have a shape that matches the curved area between the reversed Gh to the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

This might be a good indication that the Palace is an important place to focus on for finding the cask.

Verse 7
Giant pole
Giant step

I believe the Betsy Ross Memorial Flagpole is a great candidate for a giant pole since it's bigger than typical flagpoles. A stone bench found below in the direction of Alcatraz is a great candidate for a giant step with a surface and height a fair bit larget than regular steps.

There's several famous views of the Golden Gate Bridge, but it's the view from the Lands End trails that depict the bridge in this particular angle,

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 16, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 1

and I noticed the view from the postcard pictures of the Palace of the Legion of Honor have a shape that matches the curved area between the reversed Gh to the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

This might be a good indication that the Palace is an important place to focus on for finding the cask.

It looks more like a Torii to me.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It's not "Athens of Boston" - Boston is known as the "Athens of America," which is very different. There's nothing to find IN the city, but being the first line of the poem, it could be a confirmer for Boston giving the two very famous Athenians.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

NO

Merlot Brougham posted:

Verse 2

Abroad in America: Visitors to the New Nation 1776-1914
edited by Marc Pachter and Frances Wein (1976)

Not the "full text", but here are the images from the q4t "literary references" thread, for general reference and those who haven't seen them yet:

Verse 2:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

So that particular hotel burned down and was replaced with the Sheraton Charles Hotel at 215 St. Charles st. That hotel also appears to no longer be there but it might be important for the directions to the cask.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

fishbone posted:

My theory is that the cask is buried at the furthest wooden remnants from where the path hits the beach at the north end of the island, the only location where the Wright Brothers Memorial is visible.

Just found a thread where this has already been discussed

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eGbPaL6UANQJ:tweleve.org/secret/26479-roanoke-island.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

That thread points to a nice collection of photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8079704@N04/collections/72157629176347805/

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Just go dig, I mean are you really going to get full on tazed nd detained if you happen to get caught? I come from small town America, but this seems so strange to me. From the pictures it looks like there's nobody around for miles anyway. I can't imagine that if some sort of ranger or cop happened to see you digging, and that's a big if, he'd tell you to stop and send you packing. I can't imagine any citations although I'm fully aware it's the law and easily possible yadda yadda. Just some kids digging some poo poo, who cares.

That dock tide theory is brilliant.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Isn't the beach ok to dig on anyway?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Guuse posted:

I've been spending time the last couple of days trying to find "hidden" stuff in the paintings. Cask 1 seems to have a horrific, shadowy bird above her head to the right. Is it visible in the book or am I just imagining it? It may have already been mentioned but I didn't see it listed on our wiki so I thought I'd toss it out there.

Here's what I'm seeing from the clearer parts. I'm not sure what to make of the mess of shadows to the left, but I think the beak is pretty clear crossing the two different rocks.

Or maybe I'm just crazy at this point.
I can sort of see the "eye" in the painting in the book, but I'm pretty sure you're chasing scanning artifacts.

Nnep posted:

Just go dig, I mean are you really going to get full on tazed nd detained if you happen to get caught? I come from small town America, but this seems so strange to me. From the pictures it looks like there's nobody around for miles anyway. I can't imagine that if some sort of ranger or cop happened to see you digging, and that's a big if, he'd tell you to stop and send you packing. I can't imagine any citations although I'm fully aware it's the law and easily possible yadda yadda. Just some kids digging some poo poo, who cares.
This isn't a small town park where a cop will make you fill in the hole and send you on your way, it's a national historical site and digging there is a violation of federal law.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Bring a blanket for a picnic and dig a bit of a hole while no one is looking and then put the blanket over the hole and scoop it out bit by bit while you pretend to picnic. Hide the removed sand in your pockets like Andy Dufresne. You guys can totally rock this.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

GWBBQ posted:

I can sort of see the "eye" in the painting in the book, but I'm pretty sure you're chasing scanning artifacts.

This isn't a small town park where a cop will make you fill in the hole and send you on your way, it's a national historical site and digging there is a violation of federal law.

Are there signs posted all over? I just really can't picture anyone getting cited or hulled off in cuffs. Surely not everyone is aware that you can't dig there, even given the big scary f word.

Also just do it. Treasure. Sounds like a good adventure/story to me.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nnep posted:

Are there signs posted all over? I just really can't picture anyone getting cited or hulled off in cuffs. Surely not everyone is aware that you can't dig there, even given the big scary f word.

Also just do it. Treasure. Sounds like a good adventure/story to me.

Ignorance isn't a defense that works here.

e: :rms: and dig, pussy!

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 16, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I'd like to think a person will have enough sense to be sure of the location before they go digging a hole. The comment from Preiss to the Chicago finders where he says he couldn't understand why they can't find it gave me the impression that there's clues that make for an iron-clad locating experience. It was clear that the Chicago crew didn't utilize all the clues given and ultimately he sent them the jewel and photo of the site to help them retrieve the casque just to cut the bullshit and feed some momentum into the hunt. IMHO, Preiss was satisfied on some level that he had achieved a cult following but he also must've felt insulted by the ineptitude of so many seekers misunderstanding his clues and bothering him with their undersmurfed conclusions.

I don't need a ground probe or GPR. I'm confident enough at this time that I have two solutions that will yield a casque: Corbett and San Francisco. The visuals are too strong for me to feel otherwise. I don't plan on digging for the SF, but I do have plans to recover the Corbett casque with the help of an archaeologist unless someone gets around to it before me.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I find it unlikely that after 30 years enough of the clues are intact that a cask's location can be narrowed down to a few square inches without ever breaking ground anywhere else. Probing is a good idea since the property owner isn't going to invite you back after you're sure you've found it six times, only to dig six empty holes.

If/when I get invited back to the FOY and if he gets the GPR from the state, I'm going to bury a coffee mug or something to show its signature on the radar. I suspect a single ceramic cask might be tough for a non GPR-expert to distinguish from the billion rocks in the ground.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I find it unlikely that after 30 years enough of the clues are intact that a cask's location can be narrowed down to a few square inches without ever breaking ground anywhere else. Probing is a good idea since the property owner isn't going to invite you back after you're sure you've found it six times, only to dig six empty holes.

If/when I get invited back to the FOY and if he gets the GPR from the state, I'm going to bury a coffee mug or something to show its signature on the radar. I suspect a single ceramic cask might be tough for a non GPR-expert to distinguish from the billion rocks in the ground.

Maybe not, the casks have a good pocket of air in them, right?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

They should, yeah. I guess there's the dirt/plexiglass/ceramic boundary, the ceramic/air boundary, the air/ceramic boundary, and the the ceramic/plexiglass/dirt boundary. But I've never used one before and suspect I'm going to dig up a lot of empty glass bottles.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

GPRS images are a lot harder to interpret than you might think.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Sir Cornelius posted:

Someone hasn't seen Jurassic Park.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

nocal posted:

San Francisco

is this the white house?

Probably not, but it is an awesome Banana Republic.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Great movie.

I gave rookhunter a close to scale replica of a plexiglass box so he could use it to for GPR testing. I might make another one. I think I had the the thickness off. 5/16 inch might be too much. The next one will be made with 1/4" at 6.25 inches per side on the cube.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cask 3

Other than the cross on the knight's armor being matched to the crosses at Elizabethan Gardens and the outline of Roanoke Island in the stonework I have seen nothing else in that image that corresponds directly to something in the environment.

Since the final path to the treasure is so vague (you're on a beach, you can see the Wright Memorial, you're near something inland but still potentially touched by the tide) I figure there must be something in the image that gives a further clue...but I can't spot anything in the pictures that someone posted earlier.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cask 3

Other than the cross on the knight's armor being matched to the crosses at Elizabethan Gardens and the outline of Roanoke Island in the stonework I have seen nothing else in that image that corresponds directly to something in the environment.

Since the final path to the treasure is so vague (you're on a beach, you can see the Wright Memorial, you're near something inland but still potentially touched by the tide) I figure there must be something in the image that gives a further clue...but I can't spot anything in the pictures that someone posted earlier.

There's gotta be significance to the balanced spoon. That's what I can't get over.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

Message to take out of this, maybe? Don't look for small buried objects next to trees with radar.

Tree roots look like utility lines which look like rocks which look like small air-filled voids. I don't know how big the plexi-glass tub you are looking for is, but if it is something like 12 inches on a side it will look just like a buried rock. At the depth of burial, the little bit of air in there isn't going to have a great effect on the image.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Cask 3, Roanoke

Bolkovr posted:

There's gotta be significance to the balanced spoon. That's what I can't get over.

I prefer this explanation:

There's a pea on the spoon. There's also Pea Island south of Roanoke.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Cask 3

Bolkovr posted:

It's a faint outline of a spoon and I didn't know it was there until someone else pointed it out. A small circular object in it looks characteristically like a pea, which seems like a great indicator for nearby Pea Island Refuge.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

xie posted:

Someone hasn't seen Jurassic Park.

I actually looked into that. It was some kind of seismic geophone and the shotgun blast was the source. Sadly there is nothing with that detail really available. GPR is the best option unless one of these treasures is burried in soil with a high iron content. In that case we can use a good quality metal detector for a reverese mineralization scan.