Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Verdugo posted:

Is there a list of the alternate battleboxes anywhere?

On a different subject, I think I'm going to proxy up eSturgis and the Cryx Jr Warcaster for my games this week. I even have models that can represent both of them. I think releasing the stats was a great move, because if these guys are decent, I'm definitely picking up both models with the Kickstarter instead of waiting.

Just gotta handmake some little cards for proxying and I'll be all set.

If you look under Organized Play on the privateer press site and then go to journeyman league, they have a list of alternate battle boxes in the rules. It's here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
^^^ :argh:

Verdugo posted:

Is there a list of the alternate battleboxes anywhere?

http://privateerpress.com/files/Journeyman%20League%20Rules.pdf

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

It's worth pointing out that Blindwater doesn't have as many options as other factions, and new models don't get released as regularly.

They're awesome, decently powerful, and it's a great game. Just mentally prepare for that going in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you plan to play blindwater competitively, you should probably go ahead and get the triple posse since that's the most threatening thing they have.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Panzeh posted:

If you plan to play blindwater competitively, you should probably go ahead and get the triple posse since that's the most threatening thing they have.

Or double Posse and the fabulous Wrong Eye & Snapjaw, since Gatormen Posse are one of two non-plastic heavy infantry units in the game and that number shows every sign of eventually decreasing...

EDIT: I guess Runeshapers count maybe

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Calico Noose posted:

Almost as annoying.

Terminus? Really?

Is this the part where everyone complains about Cryx again?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah no matter what faction I'm playing I'd almost always rather see Terminus than eGaspy. Of the factions that I play/have played, that is.

e: Though to be fair if we complained about Cryx like, every page of the thread I'd probably be okay with that, even as a former Cryx player :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also, I somehow doubt that Terminus would be as good in a game like this than he is on the tabletop, but stranger stuff has happened.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can definitely get in on the Cryxian hate. So many liters of blood lost while assembling spiky models...gently caress. I'm still convinced that's their balance. They suck to assemble, so if you do, enjoy.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So I'm thinking of branching out into a new faction from my Protectorate.

I'm thinking about Cygnar or Ret at the moment, any suggestions on what to pick up for either to begin?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gilljoy posted:

I'm thinking about Cygnar or Ret at the moment, any suggestions on what to pick up for either to begin?

A decent rule of thumb for Cygnar troopers is if it's not wearing a tricorn hat it's complete garbage.

Only slightly exaggerating.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Otisburg posted:

A decent rule of thumb for Cygnar troopers is if it's not wearing a tricorn hat it's complete garbage.

Only slightly exaggerating.

I've currently got the battlegroup for Cygnar so would gun mages be a good next purchase?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

I've currently got the battlegroup for Cygnar so would gun mages be a good next purchase?

Gun mages + the UA are fantastic. Other choices would be rangers (better with other casters) or Sword Knights. Sword Knights are fantastic with Stryker

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sword Knights are pretty lackluster and I wouldn't recommend them.

Good purchases fo' sho' (not including Mercs):

Black 13th
Gun Mages + UA
Rangers
Centurion
Ol' Rowdy (x1000000000 he is so good)
Hunter

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Manifest posted:

Terminus? Really?

Is this the part where everyone complains about Cryx again?

Yeah Terminus is a bit unique in that every single list containing him is a skew list, but like all skew lists it falls down hard against certain counters. Zaal, for instance, almost literally cannot be beaten by Terminus unless he's actively trying to lose.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
eGaspy got the feat nerf!!! Yeeeeessssssssss! gently caress you Cryx!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

eGaspy got the feat nerf!!! Yeeeeessssssssss! gently caress you Cryx!

http://privateerpress.com/files/WM%20MKII%20Rules%20Errata%20July%202013.pdf For the curious

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Sorry so excited I forgot to post that. My PG, a Cryx guy who's favourite caster is eGaspy, is not impressed.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Silly question re eGaspy's third feat iteration: Unit Leaders are not Grunts, correct? When a Leader is destroyed, he's replaced by a Grunt, but does not become one himself, correct? Could one therefore, theoretically, shoot a unit of Bane Knights to death, specifically targeting the Unit Leader with each shot (and then the replacement leader, etc), thus denying Gaspy his feat entirely?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

susan posted:

Silly question re eGaspy's third feat iteration: Unit Leaders are not Grunts, correct? When a Leader is destroyed, he's replaced by a Grunt, but does not become one himself, correct? Could one therefore, theoretically, shoot a unit of Bane Knights to death, specifically targeting the Unit Leader with each shot (and then the replacement leader, etc), thus denying Gaspy his feat entirely?

No.

They are still Grunts in addition to leaders. Only UA's are not Grunts if they are part of a unit.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 16, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Taryn's Shadow Fire is no longer friendly faction. Say goodbye to your casters, Colossal users :allears:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Well looks like it's time to buy Taryn now. eCaine just got a new buddy.

eCaine + merc bros.list

Casters: 1/1
Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Hunter (6pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

fadam fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 16, 2013

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pretend I posted that Jim Cramer meme with Taryn on it.

Edit: lol

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

S.J. posted:

Taryn's Shadow Fire is no longer friendly faction. Say goodbye to your casters, Colossal users :allears:

:stare:

Guess I'm picking up a new model next time I hit the FLGS.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

:stare:

Guess I'm picking up a new model next time I hit the FLGS.

My words exactly. Good to know that she will only work for Cygnar or Menoth. My buddy who parks Skare behind his Kraken will be very angry indeed.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

New KS update too. Haley/Deneghra campaign announced as a stretch goal, along with adding Mercs and Ret as factions. Maybe that will spur donations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Taryn, you lovely lady. Come here, get in my army bag.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Taryn, you lovely lady. Come here, get in my army bag.

So good :allears:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its like every caster has foxhole!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Holy poo poo, that's ridiculous. I now have to go buy Taryn, and shield guard just became a lot more relevant.

edit: Wait she has two shots, drat, so no shield guarding both.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 16, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Its like every caster has foxhole!

Siege doesn't have to cast foxhole :allears:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
What's sad is that I already own Taryn's model, but have not faction to play her in (I got her when she was an IKRPG mini because she looked cool).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pyrolocutus posted:

New KS update too. Haley/Deneghra campaign announced as a stretch goal, along with adding Mercs and Ret as factions. Maybe that will spur donations.

Really want it to get to a level where Cyriss is a faction. I know it's going to be a ridiculously high number though.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The Menoth and Cygnar gunlines really did not need this help, goddammit PP.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

The Menoth and Cygnar gunlines really did not need this help, goddammit PP.

Idrians and Deliverers became a lot more viable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Definitely a single model meta shakeup, imo. I am not sure shes that good in Menoth, but she seems really good in Cygnar because of snipe/deadeye.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PaintVagrant posted:

Definitely a single model meta shakeup, imo. I am not sure shes that good in Menoth, but she seems really good in Cygnar because of snipe/deadeye.

1 word: reckoners. Reckoners just got a lot more scary now that you can't screen your warcaster.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I'm pretty sure the internet is overestimating the power of a model that dies as easily as Taryn, but at the very least I'm looking forward to seeing the attempts to do something new that come out of this change. Also glad that they've successfully avoided the "what happens when a model with a focus stat returns to play" question by nerfing Spectral Legion well ahead of Aiakos's release, since they certainly refused to answer it when asked in the rules forum a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So pMagnus and Gastone with a Mule means it gets a Range 18 Pow 15 Crit Devastation shot that can then move if/when it kills something.

I think Merc players will play that combo a lot and see some upsets with clearing out infantry from almost across the freaking board.

• Locked thread