Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
8 out of 10 people ask for "comprehension" coverage. I've had to bite my tongue so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
We are lucky enough at my work that when you call IT an acceptance box comes up, then they have control over your computer remotely. Much easier than trying to explain to them what is on your screen. My only gripe is that the first thing they do is always close down our email application. For gently caress sake mate, do you have any idea how long that poo poo takes to load? All in all though its a good service, India breeds some drat good IT professionals.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I swear my centre gets off on creating new rules all the time (about dress code, behavior, etc.) and implements it for maybe a month before giving up completely.

What's the point? Do they just get bored? Are they so petty as to make rules so they can go around measuring the straps of people's shirts with a swipe card? Does it really matter if somebody eats a snack at their desk?

I don't get it!

taremva
Mar 5, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

I swear my centre gets off on creating new rules all the time (about dress code, behavior, etc.) and implements it for maybe a month before giving up completely.

What's the point? Do they just get bored? Are they so petty as to make rules so they can go around measuring the straps of people's shirts with a swipe card? Does it really matter if somebody eats a snack at their desk?

I don't get it!

Middle management who does not have enough to do, and want to appear to be useful.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Because they don't understand what rational or vaguely competent human beings are any more so they make what should be common sense or a polite request to a particular individual a floor wide rule.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Sounds about right. A month ago a TL sent out an email to apply to only his team and after reading the first point of the email, our site manager demanded it went floor wide. Now the original TL is the only one who inforces it, which is somewhat sad and somewhat hilarious.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
:v: Hi can you re-open this ticket
:downs: Yes, but you got in the wrong queue for some reason, so I'll need to transfer you
:v: Okay can you call this number in an hour?
:downs: That number's not valid, it's too short. Is it foreign?
:v: No, it's a US number
:downs: It's not valid then. Do you have a valid number?
:v: No. Can you let the original owner know to call us back? He needs to talk to <unintelligible>
:downs: Unfortunately I don't know who he is or how to contact him really. Can you just call us back in an hour?

Apparently the call was transferred to our queue by the original ticket owner.

Normally my job is fine since it's B2B tech support, but we've been getting more nonsense calls recently.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
New job, website support. Still in a call center, but the environment is way less regulated than I'm used to--very little oversight, calls aren't recorded, my boss doesn't give a gently caress as long as we answer 90% of calls we're presented with (which essentially means we can safely ignore 10% of the ones that come to us), I can go pee anytime I want with no hassle, and no more cubicles! :toot: Been a pretty easy month and a half so far, mostly just password resets... until today. Last night we did a server migration from onsite hosting to an offsite vendor. That meant a completely new URL for my department's website. But instead of doing the sane, logical thing and implementing a redirect, they just changed the link destination of the login button. So everyone who had the page cached (meaning, everyone) got a "page not found" error when trying to log in. So our phones were queuing off the hook and I spent 8 hours telling idiots and assholes how to clear their browser cache. :suicide: Now truthfully, my job wouldn't exist without the idiots, but I could do without the assholes and the hard-of-hearing-I-don't-wanna-wear-my-hearing-aid-you-can't-make-me-now-speak-up-please-oh-you-can't-yell-any-louder-dear?

Oh well, at least we got bagels.

Lady Arcadia
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it wonderful...just like when you dream you are flying....
I am so excited. I rocked an interview for a new job today and have a second interview Friday morning. The position is a retail management position, so it's not the highest job ever on the totem pole, but I am so desperate to get out of my current call center job it's not funny. I worked previously in retail for five years and nothing in the period came close to the soul-sucking bullshit of this temp job I've had for six months. I will take Black Friday everyday over another 9 hours a day, five days a week chained to a phone, sitting on my rear end all day, being micromanaged to an inch of my life. It's not finalized but I am pretty sure I'll be offered the new position, and it starts in a week and a half. I don't even want to go back into my work building but I should be ok with the knowledge I only have another week or two tops of it.

It doesn't help that I have a huge moral problem with how my company makes its money, IE, by loving over mentally ill people on their behavioral health claims and making reimbursement for any claim a giant time wasting, horrendous pain in the rear end. If this country ever gets universal health care (HA) I will laugh with maniacal glee as this morally bankrupt motherfucker of a company burns to the ground.

I wonder why our office of 40-45 people has lost 13 people in turnover in the past 4 months, despite paying $14-20 an hour in a bad economy? Probably because we are all overeducated (they only hire college graduates) for our positions, overworked and overmanaged to the point that coming in every morning becomes a nauseating affair with a barrage of verbal abuse, company incompetence, and unsolvable problems that lasts all day. And then on top of that, getting bitched at when the very arbitrary call score rating average drops by a percent or if my call time goes up a few seconds. I wonder why that wouldn't be a conducive work place?

Goons that have been in call centers for years, I don't know how you do it. The pay and environment for my call center doesn't even look that bad compared to to what some of you endure, and for me no cash incentive is enough to make me go back to it. I hope you all find your out very soon, and I'm praying that this one is mine for good.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I must really hate myself. We had a bad storm come through last weekend and all of a sudden we're in "OH MY loving GOD WE'RE SO BEHIND" :supaburn: that they opened up overtime. I picked up 30 hours. But they do incentives, which make it better. Each 2 hours of overtime I work I get a $20 gift card, so I'm now making pay + (pay*.5) + 10. an hour. not too shabby.

But 30 loving hours. And all of our TC's are out a week in certain areas. Customers are not happy.

Oh, and they're stealing a half an hour of our lunch because of the :supaburn: mentality right now. So that's an additional 3 hours of OT.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We get double time after the 9th hour of OT, so there's a big incentive for doing a lot if you're doing any at all. I work with a lot of guys who do 70hr weeks every week like they're paying off a bookie or something. I can think of a few guys who are going to clear $100k easy this year with all the OT. That poo poo's insane, I do as little as I have to and just live within the money I already make. I figure we're only a couple months away from them forcing OT again, I may as well not do it while I can.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Gothmog1065 posted:

I must really hate myself. We had a bad storm come through last weekend and all of a sudden we're in "OH MY loving GOD WE'RE SO BEHIND" :supaburn: that they opened up overtime. I picked up 30 hours. But they do incentives, which make it better. Each 2 hours of overtime I work I get a $20 gift card, so I'm now making pay + (pay*.5) + 10. an hour. not too shabby.

But 30 loving hours. And all of our TC's are out a week in certain areas. Customers are not happy.

Oh, and they're stealing a half an hour of our lunch because of the :supaburn: mentality right now. So that's an additional 3 hours of OT.

That's crazy good. At my last call center, for every hour of overtime we worked in a week, we got one entry into a drawing to win a :siren:FREE IPAD!:siren: Yeah, that's such a good incentive. With over 100 people in our department, there were plenty of people working themselves to the bone for nothing but 1.5x pay. Because (chance at a) FREE IPAD!

Keep chasing that carrot, guys.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

I'm not sure if it's awesome, hilarious or sad but my work has been so desperate about absenteeism they raised our productive queue allowance bonus to a dollar from 85 cents.

Then two days later announced daily draws for $5 gift cards where you're eligible if you're there for your full shift and not late.

One week of perfect attendance? 5 ballots for a drawing for a $20 gift card.

Of the many things I dislike about my work at least they try to make things sorta fun?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
So the call center I used to work at got hit by a mini-tornado the other day.

Other than that, the smokers tent being up in the power lines, someone needing a few stitches, and some broken car windows, everyone made it out ok.

bulbous nub fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 12, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

bulbous nub posted:

So the call center I used to work at got hit by a mini-tornado the other day.

Other than that, the smokers tent being up in the power lines, someone needing a few stitches, and some broken car windows, everyone made it out ok.

So I take it everyone was thrilled to have 30 minutes off the phones.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Attention all personnel, there is a tornado headed our way. Take shelter under your desks, and remember to watch your hold time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

Attention all personnel, there is a tornado headed our way. Take shelter under your desks, and remember to watch your hold time.

You think this is a joke, but it reminded me of when we had to evacuate the building during an earthquake and the manager was telling people to change their aux.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, they all got the rest of that day and yesterday off, however, they relocated all equipment over to another side of the building and they were back today. According to a few of the agents I talked to, they were hiding under their desks, many of them with live customers until the switch went down.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

'Sup, Buckeye goon.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Boomer The Cannon posted:

'Sup, Buckeye goon.

Haha, I knew someone would recognize it. Yeah, this is the place in Columbus that nearly every 20-something has worked at or has had a friend work at. you at my cat, this is what one of the TP Vendor centers looks like if you're curious.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It reminds me of the time someone stuffed a sweater in the heater that somehow caught fire, set off the fire alarms and yet we still got callers. We picked them up to tell people we were evacuating. Mind you, this is with fire alarms going full blast.

This little old lady with a southern accent goes: "Well, you can just BURN. I WANT my internet service NOW!" She really seemed to mean it. I rarely hear genuine virulence in someone's voice, but yikes. She wanted me to die in a fire. I apologized and told her the firemen were shuffling us out and hung up.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

bulbous nub posted:

Haha, I knew someone would recognize it. Yeah, this is the place in Columbus that nearly every 20-something has worked at or has had a friend work at. you at my cat, this is what one of the TP Vendor centers looks like if you're curious.

Oh no poo poo. Man those desks are way closer together than seems necessary or comfortable.

Aerofallosov posted:

This little old lady

A dude here has a similar story about hanging up on a customer when the elevator caught fire a few years back. The woman said the same kind of thing to him until he gave up and released the call. I can't imagine that, that would be like going to the grocery store, it being on fire, and refusing to leave until you get your cheese curls. What the gently caress is it about the phone that makes people so nasty?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just looking at the layout of that call center makes me want to go Office Space.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
gently caress, at almost 3 years in, the only thing that can still pierce my detached call mode and shred my soul apart are old people with financial problems. Having an older woman break down in tears because I saved her some money and "now I can buy groceries this week" destroys me, I can't deal, I just want to take off my headset and leave the building and society and just walk the earth, nobody should have to make those types of decisions, especially not our older citizens.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
Every now and again you get that diamond in the rough that makes you remember that decent people still do exist, albeit not in such large numbers as the gently caress heads.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

A dude here has a similar story about hanging up on a customer when the elevator caught fire a few years back. The woman said the same kind of thing to him until he gave up and released the call. I can't imagine that, that would be like going to the grocery store, it being on fire, and refusing to leave until you get your cheese curls. What the gently caress is it about the phone that makes people so nasty?

I don't know. Psychology Today had a few interesting pieces on why people break down in call centers, on why it's one of the last places it's okay to bully people (over the phone) and so on. But it's like... if I die in a fire, she's not getting support from me anyway!

Trumpet Winsock
Sep 20, 2001

FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS
SALE OR RE-USE
OF THIS BOTTLE
Finally caught up to the end of this thread, which I have enjoyed immensely . I'm a tech support supervisor in a large (top 10) ISP call center. I've been here going on 10 years, first 2 on the phones and was on the verge of cracking when I got promoted. There's no way I could take calls again, I don't know how you all handle it. I take maybe 2 escos a day and I hate it. I freely admit that my job is absolute cake compared to those I manage.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Trumpet Winsock posted:

Finally caught up to the end of this thread, which I have enjoyed immensely . I'm a tech support supervisor in a large (top 10) ISP call center. I've been here going on 10 years, first 2 on the phones and was on the verge of cracking when I got promoted. There's no way I could take calls again, I don't know how you all handle it. I take maybe 2 escos a day and I hate it. I freely admit that my job is absolute cake compared to those I manage.

t:mad:

Oh you supervisors work SO HARD with your MEETINGS and playing with fake basketballs all day and walking around and talking to the pretty girls.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oh you supervisors work SO HARD with your MEETINGS and playing with fake basketballs all day and walking around and talking to the pretty girls.

That does explain the really, really, really low turnover rate in managers and supervisors at my first call center.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

I dunno how many people here are ex call center workers as opposed to present ones but from your opinions, how can you tell when a break down is coming/when stress leave is probably advisable?

I ask because since that last "meeting" I had, I've become paranoid, dreading coming into work for fear that I've done something wrong, I've dropped from being top of my team to being in the lowest ranking quartile of the my team, and I have a compulsion that I need to check my work email via web mail on my phone every night before going to bed and every morning when I get up as of there's some horrible email lurking in there that will basically mean more trouble for me... :( I feel like its wearing me down.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

I dunno how many people here are ex call center workers as opposed to present ones but from your opinions, how can you tell when a break down is coming/when stress leave is probably advisable?

I ask because since that last "meeting" I had, I've become paranoid, dreading coming into work for fear that I've done something wrong, I've dropped from being top of my team to being in the lowest ranking quartile of the my team, and I have a compulsion that I need to check my work email via web mail on my phone every night before going to bed and every morning when I get up as of there's some horrible email lurking in there that will basically mean more trouble for me... :( I feel like its wearing me down.

You are me before I quit Comcast a few years ago. In hindsight, I had completely burned out at least 6 months before, if not a year or so. You need out, quick.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

I can't remember, are you in the US?

If you are, just do a lovely job and get fired, draw unemployment and find another job.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

If you are, just do a lovely job and get fired, draw unemployment and find another job.

No, I'm in Canada. There's a job at the local university's book store that pays so well it's part time and pays ALMOST as much per week as this job. $20 ish an hour to basically help students find textbooks. I'm hoping if I apply I'll have an in since I'm an alumni of that university.

Lady Arcadia
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it wonderful...just like when you dream you are flying....
Cuntvalet I hope you get out soon. :( Quitting this call center has been the best feeling in the world. The job is not worth it if it's taking years off of your life.

Trumpet Winsock
Sep 20, 2001

FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS
SALE OR RE-USE
OF THIS BOTTLE

Gothmog1065 posted:

It's all true.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is what I did (almost, rather than doing a lovely job I 'caught the flu', had a doctor's note but wasn't out long enough for FMLA so they fired me as I expected they would) when I broke down to that point and I have not regretted it for one second. I was practically crying tears of joy when I drove away, I felt like I could finally breathe for the first time in 2 years. That would probably sound over-dramatic to anyone else but I'm sure you all understand.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

supkirbs posted:

This is what I did (almost, rather than doing a lovely job I 'caught the flu', had a doctor's note but wasn't out long enough for FMLA so they fired me as I expected they would) when I broke down to that point and I have not regretted it for one second. I was practically crying tears of joy when I drove away, I felt like I could finally breathe for the first time in 2 years. That would probably sound over-dramatic to anyone else but I'm sure you all understand.

No matter how you get out, or how homeless you'll be afterwards, that day will be the best day.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

bulbous nub posted:

The layout looks familiar. Are you in Dublin, by chance?

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Well, my city is having rolling blackouts and we learned to our amusement that when the power goes out all over downtown, and we're sitting in pitch black, at least our computers and phones still work. Not sure how they pulled that one off.

They eventually switched to generator power and we got some of the lights on, but I must say it was amusing to see people take calls in the dark, though theoretically shouldn't we just refuse to due to "eye strain" of looking at monitors in the dark? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

cuntvalet posted:

You personally should have quit about 6 months ago. Maybe longer, I have no scope of time right now, I just remember hassling you to poo poo or get off the pot when they demoted you and told you you'd never do any better because of "the client".

Apply for the library job, physically turn up to hand it in, wear a nice outfit and ask for the manager and smile and make eye contact when you hand it to the manager while saying whatever. This may or may not sound obvious but you can at least guarantee you're ahead of the people who don't make that effort.