Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

bobfather posted:

Nah, you're pretty much incorrect in this assumption.

As in, I've been running it this way flawlessly for 2+ years, incorrect.

That it works is not in dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do we know whether the Mavericks/iOS7 password manager will have some kind of non-Apple client? Or at least some kind of web-based access? Because one of the advantages of 1Password is that you can access your passwords on Windows machines also. It sounds like the new thing might only work if you are 100% on Apple products.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Anjow posted:

I am currently using a spreadsheet to calculate the amount that shares in companies I have must rise by in order to break even, or make profit. Does anyone know of an iPhone app for this?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read this post very carefully. Sorry about that!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

Do we know whether the Mavericks/iOS7 password manager will have some kind of non-Apple client? Or at least some kind of web-based access? Because one of the advantages of 1Password is that you can access your passwords on Windows machines also. It sounds like the new thing might only work if you are 100% on Apple products.
Nobody knows for sure but given that Windows didn't get iCloud syncing for bookmarks and tabs I think it's pretty much a given it won't get it for passwords.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Hey guys - just wondering what everyone's preferences were among offline viewing/reformatting apps . . . specifically, between Instapaper ($3.99), Readability (free) and Pocket (free). I've been using Readability since just about forever, but it seems like there is more/better integration between Pocket and third parties (like IFTTT, the Awful app, etc). I've been using Pocket for a little while to see how I like it, and so far I like Readability's Chrome plugin better (specifically the "Read Now" vs. "Read Later" option, as I frequently use Readability to reformat articles so I can read them at work - and they look like a wall of text without banners or graphics). I'm interested in hearing how others use these clients and which one they like.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

oversteer posted:

I need a good way to SSH to servers when out and about.
Have been using touch term but hate how it kills the session when switching apps (eg to switch over to safari/mail then back..)

Sometimes I prefer to use RDP to connect home then use PuTTY which gets around any temporary comms problems; but using PuTTY over a RDP app is a bit painful (special characters). So perhaps I should find a better RDP app.. Curious to know what others do in the same situation.

Tl;dr please recommend either a decent ios ssh app which doesn't kill connections on app switch or a decent RDP app that lets me use ctrl-c, tab etc without too much complication.

ServerAuditor is decent and free. It stays connected in the background for like 10 minutes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

foobar posted:

Hey guys - just wondering what everyone's preferences were among offline viewing/reformatting apps . . . specifically, between Instapaper ($3.99), Readability (free) and Pocket (free). I've been using Readability since just about forever, but it seems like there is more/better integration between Pocket and third parties (like IFTTT, the Awful app, etc). I've been using Pocket for a little while to see how I like it, and so far I like Readability's Chrome plugin better (specifically the "Read Now" vs. "Read Later" option, as I frequently use Readability to reformat articles so I can read them at work - and they look like a wall of text without banners or graphics). I'm interested in hearing how others use these clients and which one they like.

One thing Readability can't do is sync your position between platforms. If you stop in the middle of an article on one device and you want to pick up reading on another device then you have to manually page forward to wherever you stopped. Instapaper does this for you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

foobar posted:

I've used Instapaper for a long time and still do (one of my most used apps), but I'm not sure I'd start using it today if I weren't already now that Marco Arment has sold it on, and its future is a bit uncertain. Especially given the cost.

On the other hand - it is actually a sustainable business unlike some VC-funded thing that they'll eventually tire of pouring money into.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Lexicon posted:

On the other hand - it is actually a sustainable business unlike some VC-funded thing that they'll eventually tire of pouring money into.

This is basically why I don't use most free apps/services anymore. They're either VC-funded and eventually get bought/acqui-hired and shut down or they turn to excessive advertising to recoup costs.

Better to just pay for the things you use. Greater chance they'll stick around that way, I think. Especially in mobile.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Here's a GBA emulator that doesn't require a jailbreak or dev account to install. Go to page on your iDevice and press Install App. Hurry quick before their provisioning gets pulled.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

This is basically why I don't use most free apps/services anymore. They're either VC-funded and eventually get bought/acqui-hired and shut down or they turn to excessive advertising to recoup costs.

Better to just pay for the things you use. Greater chance they'll stick around that way, I think. Especially in mobile.

Me too. This thinking is pretty much what prompted my recent migration to iCloud for contacts/calendaring (the sticker price may be free, but I'm paying for it out the rear end in all the Apple gear I buy).

If only I could find a halfway decent replacement for Gmail...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Legs Benedict posted:

I thought that too, and bought Sparrow and well.. ;)

Seems like it's a big crapshoot. Small companies can get bought up regardless if it is free or paid or subscription, and large companies can just decide to axe apps because they're just not performing. It doesn't surprise or upset me anymore when it happens, just :sigh:

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I use Dashlane as my password manager (migrated from LastPass), and even tough they don't have a specific iPad app I find it being really good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Here's a GBA emulator that doesn't require a jailbreak or dev account to install. Go to page on your iDevice and press Install App. Hurry quick before their provisioning gets pulled.

This looks like it's the same emulator that was stashed in the baby name generator a few months back, in case anyone pays attention to that stuff.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

priznat posted:

I thought that too, and bought Sparrow and well.. ;)

Seems like it's a big crapshoot. Small companies can get bought up regardless if it is free or paid or subscription, and large companies can just decide to axe apps because they're just not performing. It doesn't surprise or upset me anymore when it happens, just :sigh:

Right. Paying for stuff isn't a guarantee that it'll stick around :smith: but I feel better about using paid services than I do free ones in terms of "shelf life".

:sigh: indeed

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I've used Instapaper for a long time and still do (one of my most used apps), but I'm not sure I'd start using it today if I weren't already now that Marco Arment has sold it on, and its future is a bit uncertain. Especially given the cost.

At this point Instapaper is being run by the same people running Digg and I have no idea how they plan to sustain a business without turning to ridiculous advertising. I was a hardcore Instapaper user but would never recommend someone buy it at this point.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

withak posted:

One thing Readability can't do is sync your position between platforms. If you stop in the middle of an article on one device and you want to pick up reading on another device then you have to manually page forward to wherever you stopped. Instapaper does this for you.

You're right, I forgot about that feature and I use it all the time switching between iPhone and iPad when I use the Kindle app.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just tried this out and it works great as far as I can tell. Only have a single complaint though, and it's kind of major: the game I tried ran waaay too fast. Probably about twice the normal speed. I have an iPhone 5 and tried it with Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. This an isolated issue with this game, or is this seen with others as well?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

maduin posted:

At this point Instapaper is being run by the same people running Digg and I have no idea how they plan to sustain a business without turning to ridiculous advertising. I was a hardcore Instapaper user but would never recommend someone buy it at this point.

Well, they're still charging for the app, so presumably that would be how it could be sustained.

The messaging around it has been bad though - they haven't done much to assure users that its going to be maintained and/or improved. And Marco's various trumpetings on his podcasts about divesting himself haven't helped either.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

foobar posted:

I switched from Instapaper to Pocket and haven't looked back. I just like the mutlimedia (video, etc) that you can save in Pocket as well as the IFTTT extensions.

The only downside I've found is that Pocket sometimes has weird parsing issues, like a page on a multi-page article might be duplicated.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

gently caress yes. I heard about the one that got pulled a while back and have been hoping for another chance.

Unacknowledged posted:

Just tried this out and it works great as far as I can tell. Only have a single complaint though, and it's kind of major: the game I tried ran waaay too fast. Probably about twice the normal speed. I have an iPhone 5 and tried it with Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. This an isolated issue with this game, or is this seen with others as well?
I'm having the same issue, iPhone 5 as well. The Toggle Speed option then boosts it up to twice the doubled speed, which makes things crazy fast. Good for slow RPGs at least.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 15, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

I had no idea that app developers could do this. Is there a reason more "no-no" apps like emulators can't be installed in this kind of way?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I had no idea that app developers could do this. Is there a reason more "no-no" apps like emulators can't be installed in this kind of way?

Because when Apple finds out about it they'll revoke the provisioning license that costs $300 a year.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

My guess would be that a good chunk of the "no-no" apps have Mobile Substrate dependencies, and I imagine that Apple will pull this certificate pretty quickly

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

My guess would be that a good chunk of the "no-no" apps have Mobile Substrate dependencies, and I imagine that Apple will pull this certificate pretty quickly

So are Roms still illegal? I think the last time I had some was back in 2000 or earlier when they were :files:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nwin posted:

So are Roms still illegal? I think the last time I had some was back in 2000 or earlier when they were :files:

You have to delete them in 24 hours.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So how does one delete this? I have a "waiting/not fully installed" icon (GBA4ios) that won't delete. And a reboot won't rectify it.

No big deal, just kinda lame.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm considering making the switch from Instapaper to Pocket after hearing that Pocket supports offline video. I've tried adding a YouTube link to my Pocket list but it still seems to cache it from the internet any time I go to play it. Am I doing something stupid or did I mishear about the offline video support?

If Pocket can do video, then I can scrap having separate apps for offline reading and viewing (Instapaper and Watch It Later, respectively) which would be handy.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Feenix posted:

So how does one delete this? I have a "waiting/not fully installed" icon (GBA4ios) that won't delete. And a reboot won't rectify it.

No big deal, just kinda lame.

Are you on iOS 7?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I'm considering making the switch from Instapaper to Pocket after hearing that Pocket supports offline video. I've tried adding a YouTube link to my Pocket list but it still seems to cache it from the internet any time I go to play it. Am I doing something stupid or did I mishear about the offline video support?

If Pocket can do video, then I can scrap having separate apps for offline reading and viewing (Instapaper and Watch It Later, respectively) which would be handy.

I've been using Pocket (switched from Readability) for a few days now and I don't think it does offline video - unless I too am doing something stupid.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Cross-posting from the games thread:

Jigsaw posted:

For anyone who found that the GBA emulator was going too fast (like me) there was a fix* posted in their comments. I had nothing better to do this morning, so I uploaded a modified version to a github account I created for whoever wants it: https://github.com/Jigsaw1234/GBA4iOS. I've tested it on my phone and it works fine for video. Audio sounds fine and doesn't skip, but it has a slight delay of about 1 sec, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal to me compared to speed. If you've already installed this, it'll just replace the old one, so if you like the :rice: version don't do this.

*Actually a really kludgy workaround that just delays everything 2x, but it works much better than it currently does.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 16, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn't even realize Pocket does offline caching of articles, is there a way to set it to auto sync like Instapaper? I find that really handy.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is there any GPS apps for a 4th gen ipod touch that are recommended?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does iTunes Match not "remember playback position" for files which have this set in Desktop iTunes? I'm trying to get this to work for some old audiobook episodes I have stored in Match, and want to listen to bit-by-bit on my iPhone.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone know of a way i can access and use my iphone's music library on my ipad?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I'm just throwing in my two cents for 1paswword. It's a little expensive but it works everywhere, plus the dropbox sync is fantastic. They're also about to release a full android version.

Mavericks password management is...wonky, at least right now. But it's handy for some not too important sites. It's a no show in iCloud beta too, so there's that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This isn't necessarily an iOS apps question but how come in FB App you can only send these great stickers (think cute, oversized emoji) in direct messages and not in your wall posts?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nrr posted:

Does anyone know of a way i can access and use my iphone's music library on my ipad?

iTunes Match.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Is that really the only solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nrr posted:

Is that really the only solution?

Plug the iPad into your computer and sync music the old-fashioned way.

• Locked thread