Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm picking "The Legends of Darkness" are two fat dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
gently caress it I'm doin it! Gonna see if I can convince a friend too. Wanna hug dat wrestler.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

gently caress it I'm doin it! Gonna see if I can convince a friend too. Wanna hug dat wrestler.

Take lots of pictures because everybody loves bad indie wrestling gimmicks

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 13, 2013

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I'm pretty sure those signs were WWE given. Which makes it all the more puzzling that commentary didn't recognize it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Perfidus posted:

I'm pretty sure those signs were WWE given. Which makes it all the more puzzling that commentary didn't recognize it.

The guy holding the "It's Unanimous - Edge DOES Suck" sign was Rick Achberger, the WWE Sign Guy. I'm pretty sure he just made them all and handed them out around ringside.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

At the EC ppv this past year, a WWE dude was passing out like hundreds of signs to the crowd that said CM PUNK SUCKS.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

John Cena posted:

At the EC ppv this past year, a WWE dude was passing out like hundreds of signs to the crowd that said CM PUNK SUCKS.

I remember this, just because they didn't even bother making them look fan-made. It was just like 20 copies of exactly the same sign, xeroxed.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

I remember this, just because they didn't even bother making them look fan-made. It was just like 20 copies of exactly the same sign, xeroxed.
no way man, I think you'll find that alot of people just think that CM Punk sucks.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Chewy Bitems posted:

no way man, I think you'll find that alot of people just think that CM Punk sucks.

To be fair though those signs actually do look handmade.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

To be fair though those signs actually do look handmade.

You can tell some of them are identical.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

kidcoelacanth posted:

You can tell some of them are identical.

Still, if you told me that those were fan made (like the Edge one) I would have probably believed you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bigass Moth posted:

What are some entertaining wrestling day jobs? I don't care who's a stripper or who does humanitarian work, I want to know what indy champion spends 40 hours a week working at Sbarro.

Tursas reportedly went from being a gigantic Viking wrestling ants to being a gigantic nursing aid.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Punk was a lab assistant while in ROH. He got fired for poor conduct.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Edge and Christian worked in a bikini store before getting into wrestling.

Apparently it's not NEARLY as cool as it sounds.

Edge is also a qualified journalist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't Cena drive limos?

Then of course the common ones people talk and joke about, Clay was Snoop Dogg's bodyguard (and I think some other rappers?), Paul Bearer was a legitimate funeral director, and Great Khali was a cop before he turned actor/wrassler.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Didn't Cena drive limos?

Then of course the common ones people talk and joke about, Clay was Snoop Dogg's bodyguard (and I think some other rappers?), Paul Bearer was a legitimate funeral director, and Great Khali was a cop before he turned actor/wrassler.

IIRC, Paul Bearer got his start in wrestling while he was still on active duty with the Air Force. I believe he said he'd go and wrestle on his weekends off. :patriot:

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
Since outside interference is completely kosher in MITB matches, what would happen if someone not part of the match grabbed the briefcase? Would it count as them obtaining the contract, or would they be able to give it to one of the participants? It's the actual who does the unhooking and grabbing part that decides who wins, so I feel like the outsider ought to be able to win even though that's really kind of stupid (I want this to happen very badly)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

Since outside interference is completely kosher in MITB matches, what would happen if someone not part of the match grabbed the briefcase? Would it count as them obtaining the contract, or would they be able to give it to one of the participants? It's the actual who does the unhooking and grabbing part that decides who wins, so I feel like the outsider ought to be able to win even though that's really kind of stupid (I want this to happen very badly)

Technically I guess it would be a no-contest. Maybe they'd put up a new briefcase?

I half expected one of the tag teams in the WHC match to cooperate and grab the briefcase at the same time. I'm sure two simultaneous winners will happen eventually if they keep the gimmick going.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I think, and this is just me assuming based on the rules as presented, only the people IN the match can win the case, but someone from the outside could, in theory, grab the case, toss it to the guy they like, and then that guy wins.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brock or Mark Henry could run in and take it.
Who's going to tell him it doesn't count?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I feel like the outsider ought to be able to win even though that's really kind of stupid (I want this to happen very badly)

Are you Vince Russo? Because you know if WCW had money in the bank matches they would have had a finish where a wrestler fumbled the case as they were unhooking it, dropped it and a non-wrestler caught it and "Won" (A celebrity if they could get one, Judy Bagwell or similar if they could not).

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Have we all forgotten about the 49ers match so easily, where, by the rules, the ref won the title? :v:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
No, that was Dave Penzer, the ring announcer.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

SiKboy posted:

Are you Vince Russo? Because you know if WCW had money in the bank matches they would have had a finish where a wrestler fumbled the case as they were unhooking it, dropped it and a non-wrestler caught it and "Won" (A celebrity if they could get one, Judy Bagwell or similar if they could not).

I know TNA did an Ultimate X match where AJ Styles caught the belt after it was unhooked by (I think) Chris Daniels and Petey Williams above him. He caught the belt when it fell and was declared winner.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well the better example from TNa was during the x-division ladder match on one of the first few months shows, Sean Waltman won the match despite not actually being in it (or in storylines actually employed by the company).

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

GB888 posted:

I know TNA did an Ultimate X match where AJ Styles caught the belt after it was unhooked by (I think) Chris Daniels and Petey Williams above him. He caught the belt when it fell and was declared winner.

Petey was the one who caught it. He was scheduled to win anyway and this was a botch.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Petey was the one who caught it. He was scheduled to win anyway and this was a botch.

Was this the same match where the X fell down multiple times, causing them to restart the match repeatedly?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Yeah, the number one contenders Ultimate X at Bound for Glory 2005 was the one I am talking about. Did it happen a second time with AJ Styles?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, the number one contenders Ultimate X at Bound for Glory 2005 was the one I am talking about. Did it happen a second time with AJ Styles?

I feel like it did in the early days, actually. Don't quote me on that, though. I think there was a third time where they hung a belt instead of the X, and it fell, as well.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I feel like it did in the early days, actually. Don't quote me on that, though. I think there was a third time where they hung a belt instead of the X, and it fell, as well.

The Kaz-Christian ladder match in 2007 had the belt fall. They kept going and the ref ruled they had to grab the board that the belt was strapped to in order to win.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

We just watched that match about a month ago. It was AJ Styles, probably Jerry Lynn, and another guy.

The belt fell down twice and there's a period where guys are brawling around it and trying to pretend like they don't see it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The greatest TNA gimmick botch-fest HAS to be the Harris/Storm blindfold match. It's like, everything that COULD go wrong did.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

The greatest TNA gimmick botch-fest HAS to be the Harris/Storm blindfold match. It's like, everything that COULD go wrong did.

For me, nothing will ever beat the first match on the big "NEW MONDAY NIGHT WARS BROTHERRRRR" show ending with Homicide not being able to physically climb out of that cage thing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I've been using Wikipedia lately to read about wrestlers so I can catch up on what's happened since I last watched and I noticed that a lot of them live in Florida. Why is that? My friend was telling me it's because it's the painkiller capitol of the world but I don't believe him.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

keevo posted:

I've been using Wikipedia lately to read about wrestlers so I can catch up on what's happened since I last watched and I noticed that a lot of them live in Florida. Why is that? My friend was telling me it's because it's the painkiller capitol of the world but I don't believe him.

Also has to do with the nice weather, proximity to airports, and the sweet, sweet tax breaks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Also since NXT/FCW is based in Florida, basically everyone who has gone through WWE developmental in recent years had to move down there at some point. Many probably stayed there for the reasons mentioned.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

But mostly the painkillers.

Xacto Wife
Aug 19, 2005

I should be somewhere erasing indigenous people, not fetching super vagina.
Sweet, sweet oxys

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
What was the deal with Eddie Guerrero's infamous blade job against JBL?

Did he blade deeply on purpose or was it a total accident? I've been out of wrestling for a while and only just saw the match, it's probably the most blood I've seen outside of a deathmatch, and probably the worst bleeding I've seen in a WWE ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As far as I understand, it was just an accident and he just cut too deep.

And yeah, it's a horrifically bloody match. Way up there on the Muta Scale.