Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I find it pretty interested that Leap's Cricket Wireless was offered to merge with MetroPCs for 5.3 billion in 2007 but now AT&T is merging with them (or is making them a subsidiary somehow different then a merger) for 1.2 billion. They seem to be making pretty good money, having made $3.1B USD in both 2011 and 2012.

Edit: Having reread that, AT&T bought Cricket, a subsidiary of LeapWireless for 1.2 billion while MetroPCS wanted to merge with all of LeapWireless which I guess consists of more then just Cricket. Which I also flubbed on revenue , their gross profit is about a bit less than half of their revenue.

Nf3 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

DNova posted:

I've been thinking about this. The budget iphone is almost certainly real. But AAPL investors are used to profits from high-margin premium products. Won't they see moving into the budget category along with the lower margins that exist in that space as a threat to AAPL's model?

Yeah but at the same time it opens up new lower-income markets, including overseas in the third world, where Android devices are crushing Apple in marketshare because they're practically giving the phones away to customers who have never been able to afford a cell phone before.

The same thing applies to children here in America: If your twelve year old is going to have a cell phone, it's in your best interest for it to be cheap to replace.

It's not the most lucrative market, but there's money to be made there for sure, and it's a long-term play. People who grow up using something tend to keep using it, unless something shakes them out of it. This is also why companies like Microsoft and Adobe give students huge discounts on their very expensive software packages, because when that graphic designer grows up and gets a job, they'll want to use Photoshop and Illustrator. Someone who's invested a lot of time using Visual Studio will put that on their resume and often find a job in a shop that uses it.

Getting your brand into the hands of young people is a smart move, as long as you don't gently caress everything up.

I've never been one to buy into the "Apple image" though. Their recent commercial made my stomach turn with how self indulgent it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1s_B0zqX0

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Inverse Icarus posted:

It's not the most lucrative market, but there's money to be made there for sure, and it's a long-term play. People who grow up using something tend to keep using it, unless something shakes them out of it. This is also why companies like Microsoft and Adobe give students huge discounts on their very expensive software packages, because when that graphic designer grows up and gets a job, they'll want to use Photoshop and Illustrator. Someone who's invested a lot of time using Visual Studio will put that on their resume and often find a job in a shop that uses it.
Yeah Apple's ecosystem now has enough lock-in that going for the younger, price-sensitive crowd could make sense since they'll grow into more expensive products later. I still have my reservations though unless the "budget iPhone" has similar margins to other Apple products, since otherwise that would signal to me they are going in a direction that's at odds with their strengths.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

jawbroken posted:

Lower price doesn't mean low margin. A “budget” iPhone would target upfront phone purchases rather than contract subsidies, so it wouldn't hit the margins that the iPhone currently enjoys, but there's no reason it couldn't fall in line with the ~30% gross margins of iPods, iPads and Macs.

I think it would cannibalize sales of high-margin products. More importantly, I think it would really hurt Apple's brand image, their strongest asset. It is like Rolex coming out with a cheaper version of their watches, it makes people looking for the cultural status symbol less likely to buy your high margin product.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I think it would cannibalize sales of high-margin products. More importantly, I think it would really hurt Apple's brand image, their strongest asset. It is like Rolex coming out with a cheaper version of their watches, it makes people looking for the cultural status symbol less likely to buy your high margin product.

I don't think it needs to be any different in a status symbol sense than them having a line of iPods from the touch down to the shuffle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jawbroken posted:

Lower price doesn't mean low margin. A “budget” iPhone would target upfront phone purchases rather than contract subsidies, so it wouldn't hit the margins that the iPhone currently enjoys, but there's no reason it couldn't fall in line with the ~30% gross margins of iPods, iPads and Macs.
Exactly. My mom lives on a fixed income so she has a prepaid cellphone and she's love to be able to have a camera on her phone to take pictures and Skype with me.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Lexicon posted:

I don't think it needs to be any different in a status symbol sense than them having a line of iPods from the touch down to the shuffle.

I wouldn't have called the shuffle a "cheaper iPod" though. It was more a specialized micro-music player for runners, etc. I also don't think the iPod was so successful because it was a status symbol, but rather because nobody else had any product that came near to it in design. The iPhone was also similar when it first came out, but evolved into a status symbol.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
You also have to consider that the iPhone platform is a stable product with someone in charge that is supposed to be a supply chain and operations wizard. They've shifted some of their supply chain, so they could, arguably, be in a position to build and sell a cheaper iphone at current margins.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I wouldn't have called the shuffle a "cheaper iPod" though. It was more a specialized micro-music player for runners, etc. I also don't think the iPod was so successful because it was a status symbol, but rather because nobody else had any product that came near to it in design. The iPhone was also similar when it first came out, but evolved into a status symbol.

This is a value judgement, but I don't happen to agree that the iPhone's success lies in its [diminishing] role as a status symbol. It's practically the only game in town underpinned by a solid and secure mobile application platform. Not surprisingly, it seems to be replacing the blackberry in a lot of corporations (GE is switching over to iOS, for instance).

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

pr0k posted:

You also have to consider that the iPhone platform is a stable product with someone in charge that is supposed to be a supply chain and operations wizard.

And that their platform gets them 30% of all app sales, no matter how expensive your phone was.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm sure the cannibalisation issue is why they haven't released such a product up to this point, as there's obviously no technical reason. There's a complex calculation involving part costs, their ability to sign new carriers, cannibalisation rate, etc that they've likely been tracking to find the right time to expand the iPhone portfolio, and it's up to you to decide if they're competent at making those decisions with the information they have. Note that keeping older iPhones around has had no obvious effect on ASP thus far, so there's no sign of cannibalisation there, and I'm not sure why a budget iPhone would be significantly different. Psychological reasons? People and carriers moving away from phone contracts entirely? Your brand image or status symbol theory?

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Well, that was quite the leap.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...urce=undefined;

AT&T announced they were buying Leap this weekend , right, so of course it opens at 17 on yahoo finance.But how does this happen exactly? Do people keep buying up the price over the weekend in access channels that increase the price of the stock up to 17 or what? After hours trading, why does it even exist?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Well, it doesn't have to move incrementally, penny at a time until it gets to $17. If AT&T says they're buying LEAP at $17, then the stock is "worth" $17 now. Anyone who has LEAP to sell isn't going to give AT&T a free discount.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, that makes sense. I honestly hadn't considered that it was AT&T buying up the shares. Is that the norm for when a company buys another company? By buying up the shares? Is it not possible to merge or buy a publicly traded company without buying shares?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nf3 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I honestly hadn't considered that it was AT&T buying up the shares. Is that the norm for when a company buys another company? By buying up the shares? Is it not possible to merge or buy a publicly traded company without buying shares?

Shares are quite literally the fractions of ownership of a company. Owning a company is synonymous with owning all its shares.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Purchases are usually in cash, or stock, or both, or other things that have monetary value (haha I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but idk there's bonds and debt and assets that I'm not entirely as sure about as far as company purchasing).

quote:

Financing a takeover
Funding

Often a company acquiring another pays a specified amount for it. This money can be raised in a number of ways. Although the company may have sufficient funds available in its account, remitting payment entirely from the acquiring company's cash on hand is unusual. More often, it will be borrowed from a bank, or raised by an issue of bonds. Acquisitions financed through debt are known as leveraged buyouts, and the debt will often be moved down onto the balance sheet of the acquired company. The acquired company then has to pay back the debt. This is a technique often used by private equity companies. The debt ratio of financing can go as high as 80% in some cases. In such a case, the acquiring company would only need to raise 20% of the purchase price.
Loan note alternatives

Cash offers for public companies often include a "loan note alternative" that allows shareholders to take a part or all of their consideration in loan notes rather than cash. This is done primarily to make the offer more attractive in terms of taxation. A conversion of shares into cash is counted as a disposal that triggers a payment of capital gains tax, whereas if the shares are converted into other securities, such as loan notes, the tax is rolled over.
All share deals

A takeover, particularly a reverse takeover, may be financed by an all share deal. The bidder does not pay money, but instead issues new shares in itself to the shareholders of the company being acquired. In a reverse takeover the shareholders of the company being acquired end up with a majority of the shares in, and so control of, the company making the bid. The company has managerial rights.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
So what shares in particular did AT&T buy to take over the company. Any shares publicly traded they could get their hands on? Shares from the current majority holders + a bunch of other publicly traded shares ? Do they intend to buy enough shares to be majority share holder or the largest share holder?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nf3 posted:

So what shares in particular did AT&T buy to take over the company. Any shares publicly traded they could get their hands on? Shares from the current majority holders + a bunch of other publicly traded shares ? Do they intend to buy enough shares to be majority share holder or the largest share holder?

Someone else should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the board of directors of the acquired company (whose job it is to act on behalf of all shareholders) accepts the acquirer's deal if they deem it sufficiently good for the shareholders they represent. So the sale of all shares is in effect forced - but individual shareholders generally don't complain due to the acquisition premium that is usually gained.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Lexicon posted:

Someone else should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the board of directors of the acquired company (whose job it is to act on behalf of all shareholders) accepts the acquirer's deal if they deem it sufficiently good for the shareholders they represent. So the sale of all shares is in effect forced - but individual shareholders generally don't complain due to the acquisition premium that is usually gained.

It's funny you should post this just now because I read an article today about a law company investigating LEAP for "breaching their fiduciary duties by failing to adequately shop the Company and maximize shareholder value. "

http://www.crn.com/news/networking/240158284/at-t-to-buy-prepaid-wireless-provider-leap-wireless.htm

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nf3 posted:

It's funny you should post this just now because I read an article today about a law company investigating LEAP for "breaching their fiduciary duties by failing to adequately shop the Company and maximize shareholder value. "

http://www.crn.com/news/networking/240158284/at-t-to-buy-prepaid-wireless-provider-leap-wireless.htm

Ha, yeah, the use of the word "generally" above was very intentional :)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Wait, so if I had shares of Leap and wasn't taking any action personally, would I get a message from my broker saying "sorry bud, we sold your shares of Leap cause we had to, but good news is you got $17 for it :respek:"

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Nf3 posted:

It's not AT&T buying them right now. They don't buy them until the deal closes. But the shares are going to trade very close to the purchase price because anything below $17 will make a profit for anyone buying. Those selling don't want to sell at much of a discount to the purchase price. The difference between the current price and the purchase price would be what the market considers the risk of the deal falling through, if that makes sense. Usually you see shares trading below the purchase price because nobody is going to buy for $17 just to sell at $17. However, if there is a belief in the market that competition may enter and the company could be sold at a higher premium, it may trade above the purchase price (see: Sprint).

alnilam posted:

Wait, so if I had shares of Leap and wasn't taking any action personally, would I get a message from my broker saying "sorry bud, we sold your shares of Leap cause we had to, but good news is you got $17 for it :respek:"

Well yeah. When the deal closes your shares are purchased for the purchase price and you receive the compensation which will either be in cash or shares.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

alnilam posted:

Yes, or the equivalent in new shares.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Look at DELL in comparison; Icahn is saying that DELL is worth $14, $15 a share or more. Mikey Dell is saying 13.65, but the stock price says 13.15. Every other day there is some poo poo about who will or who won't get the deal, who will do the financing, what is the company going to do after, etc. etc. There are some offers on the table, but nobody is really buying into it yet. Also like BBY when the founder said he wanted to take the company private and investors were like "uh okay gramps, whatever you say."

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

alnilam posted:

Because in theory, you as a shareholder get to vote on such acquisitions (assuming voting rights are associated with your shares).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had two stocks I owned get bought. In one case, I simply received cash in lieu of my shares in my brokerage account when the conversion date took place; in the other, I received a notice from my broker that I had two options: cash, or an equivalent value in the buying company's shares, and if I failed to pick, I'd get the buying company's shares.

The exact terms can vary from one deal to the next, and there is usually a long lead time between the announcement and the actual buyout (I think because with many mergers there's the risk that the government will block the sale for antitrust reasons, I'm not sure if they're required to build in a waiting period for this review or what).

Another thing can happen if the people involved are jerks. A former employer of mine was purchased by a much larger company. We had public stock, and many employees had stock options, and our combined in-the-money-but-not-yet-vested and out-of-the-money options cumulatively amounted to a huge amount of shares - a significant fraction of the total outstanding shares of the company (I think like 30% or so).

The company's board decided to issue a new, preferred class of shares. They gave themselves and the company executives the lion's share of these shares, in the form of "retention bonuses" announced at the time the merger was announced. These shares essentially devalued the public shares of the company massively. The buyout company then bought the preferred shares, gaining ownership of the company. They still bought the public shares too, but due to the devaluation they didn't have to buy as many of them, so the price offered was lower (but still at a small premium to the quoted price prior to the buyout announcement). This ensured that the vast majority of the stock options would never be in the money. The total amount spent on the public shares was actually less than the cash my employer had on hand, so for sure it would have been a higher valuation if they hadn't issued the preferred stock.

The justification was that the preferred shares for the executives took 6 months to vest or whatever, and these "key employees" had to stay with the new company that long to get the money. So it would keep them from fleeing the sinking ship like rats the day the buyout was announced.

It was a tremendously dickish thing to do that basically hosed over all the regular employees so that the execs could walk away rich, justified as being in the buyer's interest via the "key employee" contracts, and I believe they were sued by the (public class of) shareholders, but the company was small and its stock had been declining for years (this happened in 2003, the company had gone public in 99 or 2000) and I guess the lawsuit went nowhere.

So yeah, there's poo poo like that that can be done, especially when nobody's looking, but it's much less likely when it's a newsworthy buyout.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 16, 2013

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
What is going on with the bond market lately? All my long term investments in bonds have seen a ~ -5% loss over the last 3 months.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Uhh, seriously?

e: No really, Google "Bond Market News" and it'll catch you up on what's been dominating financial news for the past couple months..

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So I've been reading books on Technical Analysis and Money Management and have been applying them with play money on the Futures and FX markets. I've had a net positive (right now I'm 4.5% in the black with the play money overall).

I was wondering at what point should I decide to start doing it with real money? I've read that the amount of money I start with has a big impact on how things will go, but my intuition tells me that "5% is 5%" so to speak.

How do I know that I'm ready to start doing it with real money? Is it just a matter of money management (i.e. no more than X% of total capital should be available for buying/selling)?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 16, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lexicon posted:

This is a value judgement, but I don't happen to agree that the iPhone's success lies in its [diminishing] role as a status symbol. It's practically the only game in town underpinned by a solid and secure mobile application platform. Not surprisingly, it seems to be replacing the blackberry in a lot of corporations (GE is switching over to iOS, for instance).

I disagree; the Apple name has for a long time stood for reliable products that are also very trendy. A large chunk of that premium price tag comes from it being an Apple product. The Apple name and logo is why tons of people line up in front of Apple stores every time that Apple releases a new product, even if it's functionally equivalent to existing products from other manufacturers or even Apple itself. They make good products, but you can find equally good products for less elsewhere; all that's really left is the name.

As for the iPhone being the only game in town, there's this:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Love Stole the Day posted:

So I've been reading books on Technical Analysis and Money Management and have been applying them with play money on the Futures and FX markets. I've had a net positive (right now I'm 4.5% in the black with the play money overall).

I was wondering at what point should I decide to start doing it with real money? I've read that the amount of money I start with has a big impact on how things will go, but my intuition tells me that "5% is 5%" so to speak.

How do I know that I'm ready to start doing it with real money? Is it just a matter of money management (i.e. no more than X% of total capital should be available for buying/selling)?
Over what period have you been up 4.5%?

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

SplitDestiny posted:

What is going on with the bond market lately? All my long term investments in bonds have seen a ~ -5% loss over the last 3 months.

Simple...Interest rates are going up...

Hopefully you did not buy the bonds at the top of the bond rally.

Be aware there is potential for more downside longterm

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does your play money account charge commissions and fees?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

gvibes posted:

Over what period have you been up 4.5%?

The past year.

Also today I left a position on the FX one (AUD/SGD and AUD/CAD were oversold according to RSI a day and a half ago, plus they're both at record lows for the past 3months/2years from what I can see so I went long on both with the small 10k units each and it paid off and my Trailing Stop went off during the a traceback a few hours ago) and now it's up 5% though.

quote:

Does your play money account charge commissions and fees?

The Futures play money account doesn't, although I've spent more time with the FX play money account which does a spread which I suppose counts as a commission/fee.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 16, 2013

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Hope that all of you who own $TSLA took some profits

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So glad I had a trailing stop order in place for my TSLA. This is the second time it has triggered for me. First round from 60-85, and this from $90.5 to $116.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

MrBigglesworth posted:

So glad I had a trailing stop order in place for my TSLA. This is the second time it has triggered for me. First round from 60-85, and this from $90.5 to $116.

Good Job!

I was looking to short it but I was out of the office this morning.

My long gold trades are holding good but I missed my day trade on that little $NUGT bastard.

It slipped my hands this morning and could not catch it for a day trade at 5.80. :ughh:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I'm sure that this is Goldman getting a discount for the sake of clients. Little bummed of such the quick turnaround, but tsla can definitely use a healthy breather .

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'd buy some calls but I just have no feeling for what it's going to do. I shall refrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DNova posted:

I'd buy some calls but I just have no feeling for what it's going to do. I shall refrain.

Thinking the same thing. I'm worried it could fall through to the lower 90s, but if it does, :getin: