Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Good lord is he like three feet tall or something??

Here are some clubs in your area, can't personally vouch for any of them. I'll email some of my IPO buddies and ask is anyone can recommend clubs/trainers in you area though.
http://boldcityschutzhundclub.com/
http://www.firstcoastschutzhund.com/
http://www.irondogschutzhund.com/

You can also check the WDA and DVG websites and look for nationally associated clubs but from what I understand, most of the north Florida clubs only exist on paper.

Honestly your best bet is going to be talking to the TDs and attending some training sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I know someone that works GSDs and Mals in FL, but I'm not sure where. I'll see what I can find!

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Good lord is he like three feet tall or something??

Here are some clubs in your area, can't personally vouch for any of them. I'll email some of my IPO buddies and ask is anyone can recommend clubs/trainers in you area though.
http://boldcityschutzhundclub.com/
http://www.firstcoastschutzhund.com/
http://www.irondogschutzhund.com/

You can also check the WDA and DVG websites and look for nationally associated clubs but from what I understand, most of the north Florida clubs only exist on paper.

Honestly your best bet is going to be talking to the TDs and attending some training sessions.

Thanks, I already bookmarked them all previously. Just hoping that somebody had some personal experience with any of them. I knew it would be pretty much a long shot. I had a long talk with the vet because he is so large for his age. She told me that he's not fat and definitely not skinny. It's easy to feel his ribs. Duke is just more muscular and taller than the breed standard. She mentioned that he might have some King Shepherd or Shiloh Shepherd in his bloodline as his dad was 120lbs.

Vet measured him at 26" tall, I got the same when I did it. Looks like he's around the right height and weight. He's just at the very top of breed standard at 8 months.

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I took a few images of Duke after his surgery.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo it must have been a while since posted pics, your boy's all grown up! :kimchi:

I will say though... He's carrying too much weight for Schutzhund right now. It takes a fuckload out of a dog and if they're carrying any extra weight, they're not going to have the endurance required for the protection phase. Please don't think I'm ragging on you or calling your dog a fat-rear end or anything (I'm not!) I honestly only bring it up because I've been dealing with this with Vecna recently (our TD put him on a diet :lol:). He's not at all fat by the vet's standards, I can feel his ribs, etc. but he's still too fat for protection and it shows. He can't last nearly as long as the thinner dogs and the fact that he's over-sized exacerbates the problem. His movement improved a lot after he dropped a couple pounds too and I think it was part of the reason he kept injuring his leg. Now that he's a bit thinner he's lasting a lot longer in protection and he does the full on :angel:flying trot:angel:

You might want to consider working on his conditioning now while you're still looking for a club. I can post the conditioning exercises my TD gave us if you like.

(For reference, Vecna's 27" and 84.4 lbs, down from 88 lbs)

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
No problem. Please share your conditioning exercises. We've been doing our own version of conditioning over the last 2 months to get him used to running with us. We've been doing walks around the neighborhood through one loop, added a longer loop, then went to the max loop (2 miles). Then we started to job some, walk some, jog some, walk again, etc. Now that he can jog the whole neighborhood, we started doing run/jog/walk to get him up to running the neighborhood. Vet says give him about 2 weeks until we start the runs up again.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
A lot of the exercises we're working on right now are combined conditioning/engagement exercises or have some foundation work for later behaviors, so feel free to ignore whatever isn't applicable to you.

quote:

Flirt Pole
Go out of way to be unpredictable. If he's cutting off the lure you aren't trying hard enough. When he catches lure, turn back on dog and tug while running away. Drop pole, continue to run away from dog while doing whatever it takes to get him to ignore lure and re-engage with you. Upon re engagement, pick up pole and repeat.

2 Ball
Show dog a ball, toss as far as you can (make sure dog can catch ball after 1st bounce). After releasing ball, run in opposite direction as fast as you can to increase distance traveled on return. When dog either chases after you or looking in your direction, toss 2nd ball. Repeat.

2 Ball for Revier
Have dog sit at front. Show ball, ask "are you ready?". On eye contact, point arm in direction you are throwing ball, throw. After dog gets ball, run away from him and entice him to follow. As dog approaches turn so that dog passes in front of your body, outstretch arm parallel to ground, pointing in direction you are throwing ball. Throw ball. Repeat.

Race!
Set up 3 cones in a triangle approx. 30-50 ft apart. Start at 1st cone. Toss treats left and right 3x, after he eats last treat say "race!" and run to 2nd cone, turn around half way and engage and encourage dog to chase while still running. Stop at 2nd cone, toss treat away (outside triangle). Say race, run to 3rd cone, repeat. After 3rd cone, throw ball.

Race probably doesn't count as conditioning but it is fun as heck

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 21, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
We play fetch at least 2 hours a day. If you go outside, he grabs his big ball and drops it at your feet. It's about the size and feel of a kickball, so I kick it to the fence (about 150 feet) and he retrieves it and drops it back at my feet. We do this a lot. It's Duke's favorite game.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry I should have clarified a bit more but a backyard isn't large enough to do any of the 2 ball exercises. You pretty much want them running the length of a soccer field per retrieve.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I figured I needed more space, I just have to start working him with his chuck-it balls. He prefers to play with the larger balls and barely touches the chuck-it balls.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah the space is always an issue :sigh: It's so hard to find places to let them run that aren't dog parks, it's a huge bummer. Have you tried different types of balls besides tennis balls? Vecna wasn't very into the tennis balls but Kong Balls are so important to him that he'll try to murder any dog who touches them and they have a hole in the center so you can turn them into ball-on-a-rope. Ball drive is super, super important for Schutzhund so it'd definitely be worth the time to work on his a bit. This article has good advice on how to make a dog more interested in a specific toy.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
He'll do fetch with the chuck-it tennis balls if there isn't anything larger around. But he has his favorite that's just too large to throw any good distance, but it's great for kicking. I'll confess it's my favorite too because my hands don't get covered in slobber using that ball. He will pretty much chase anything you throw, including sticks. Duke prefers toys over treats any day of the week.

I'll just put up the rest of his toys and work him with tennis ball sized objects.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I have seen softball sized chuckit balls! My dogs have the regular M size and L. I don't want to get XL cuz we would need another chucker.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

ShadowStalker posted:

She went with 85lbs, I did the price is right technique and chose 84lbs.

You must not be very good at The Price Is Right.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Serella posted:

You must not be very good at The Price Is Right.

It was whoever is closer, didn't matter if you went over. I picked him up, he didn't feel that heavy

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Vecna met up with his buddy Justice this weekend and went for a walk. It was hard to get a good picture of it but there was a lot of wrestling, making out, and jumping over each other.

Vecna prefers to use the drinking fountain because he thinks everyone should wait on him 100% of the time

It was really hot and he desperately wanted to play in the water so I finally gave in.

It's nice that Vecna finally has a dog friend :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
God drat it I want to steal your dog so loving bad

Look at how handsome he is

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke showed his warface for the first real time today. The wife took him for a walk and a shepherd mix ran towards my wife barking and growling. Duke held the dog off by barking, growling, and snapping while keeping himself between my wife and the attacking dog. Apparently, the other dog kept trying to circle around my wife and come at her from the opposite side of Duke but Duke kept moving to keep her safe. The dog tried to bite Duke a few times but never connected thankfully. The owner finally came up apologizing and took the dog back into his yard.

Not 5 minutes later, he was licking the face of a 3 year old who wanted to pet him and back to his goofy puppy self.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Meet Onyx (name subject to change), Vecna's new sister:

Man, she makes him look like a bruiser.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, she DOES look Mal in that last picture! SHE'S SO PRETTY!!! I've been waiting all day for pictures, because I'm a loser. :3: Congrats again, she's awesome!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I'm coming to San Diego to steal both your dogs.

You cannot prevent this. It is already happening.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I spent a week living with a guy who had an adorable white shepherd who looked like white-Onyx. How old is she, and is she sort of a terror?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not sure exactly but the shelter said around 1 year 3 mo. So far she's a gigantic sweetheart and a complete pig. Seriously this girl acts like she's never eaten in her life. Right now Vecna is learning about personal space and sharing. He has mixed feelings about both of these things but he's finally remembered that dogs like to play with you if you let them chase you too.

It's really adorable how they patrol the yard together and check out all the disturbances :kimchi:

E: We've renamed her Kas :)

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 16, 2013

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Shelby started nosework 3 today, yay. The instructor is very pleased with her progress. After this is a short 3 week intro to travel classes class. And then we do travel classes where each week we meet at a different location. Hopefully Shelby will be ready for her first trial by the time they run the local one, which I believe is in november. I really need to remember to take some video.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I picked up Kirby almost two months ago:

goobernoodles posted:

First time dog owner here. Just picked up this guy today:

I'm not entirely set on what I want to name him, but... Kirby seems fitting. He's a Formosan Mountain Dog and Shepherd mix, brought over to Seattle (Salty Dog Rescue) from Taiwan. He's pretty anxious and shy, but very well mannered and seems like he's pretty smart. It's cool seeing how much he's changed in one day. I gotta train this little guy.

This girl followed us home yesterday and looked like she could use some help:

No inquiries from potential owners yet. I'm thinking I might keep her if one doesn't pop up. Kirby and her are getting along pretty well except for if she takes his food. Kirby doesn't like that. Since Kirby is very, very skiddish, I'm thinking it would be good for him to have her around. Am I crazy?

She's pretty well mannered and knows sit and down very well. Better than Kirby. Very, very food driven as opposed to Kirby who is a shy eater and only takes treats when he's not anxious, which is about half the time. I'm going to have to figure out an efficient way to feed them because I figured out this morning as I was trying to get out the door for work that leaving them in the same room with Kirby not eating his food immediately was going to equal her eating his food. Ack.

Not sure if she's not housebroken or just anxious in her new enviorment but she's had a few accidents. With her leash in my hand she pissed from my front door, past the kitchen, all the way to near my bedroom this morning as I was trying to pick her up to stop her. Opened the door of the room I put her in while cleaning up to find a nice, steaming pile of poo to greet me. Picked up more dog poop walking the two new companions, returned home and took a quick 5 minute shower. During this time she had:

Impressive.

Here are some more pictures:

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 18, 2013

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats to Shelby for kicking rear end at nose work and on your pretty new lady, goober :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ooooooohhh my god I'm so excited. Just had a long talk with one of the trainers at the SchH club I was looking in to, and they seem PERFECT for us!! She kept stressing how they don't tolerate people that are harsh with their dogs, or backstabbing with other people. She also said that the main protection helper/trainer has two really young kids at home, so he would be a really great resource for help raising a high drive dog with a toddler. :dance: She also said some things almost verbatim that Chris Wild told me about checking out a training club and visiting multiple times before ever getting a dog, and a lot of things to look out for with being new to the sport. I'M SO loving EXCITED! We're going out to watch them train on Monday. :dance:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That's awesome! I'm so excited for you, let us know how it goes :)

Vecna and Kas are Good Dogs

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Triangulum, I love love love your doggies so much, I have always really wanted a sable GSD ,but those two may be changing my mind. Especially Kas, she has such a pretty feminine face all the GSD's in my area are all giant 100lb German show looking things, so it's nice to moderate dogs, even if it's only on the internet.

I have a training question and I thought it might get more attention here than the general training thread. We have recently started to have some new friends come over and Maverick usually is pretty nervous around new people so I usually give her a special chew and make sure I am accessible to her at all times and she usually settles down either near me or on her bed after the initial excitement.

The first problem I am having is whenever anyone leaves the living room area to go to the bathroom or kitchen or whatever Maverick alert barks at them and "herds" them until they get back the first couple of times she did this I didn't call her back right away and as the person left the room she jumped at them while barking. As soon I saw her starting to follow the next time someone left I called her back to me but she continued barking until they got back to the couch and I couldn't get her to settle. I clearly need a plan of action because no one likes being chased or jumped at by a 70lb barking GSD. My current plan is this next time they come over when I see people getting ready to exit the room call Maverick over and ask for a sit stay and if she starts barking give a no reward marker and put her in a time out for 10-15 seconds and let her try again, and obviously treat when she watches the people leaving quietly.

The other problem I'm a little less sure of how to address these particular group of friends can get pretty loud and it makes Maverick really nervous she paces, gives lots of calming signals, ect. and it's amplified because we have stained concrete floors so everything seems even nosier. What would be a good way to get her more comfortable with lots of noise and excitement? All I can think of is just lots of treats and happiness while its noisy, but I want do it properly so I don't accidentally reinforce the idea that yes you should be worried/afraid of all this excitement. So should I be reinforcing while she is giving calming signals or should I call her over and ask for a behavior and reward while she does that?

It may also be important to note that she does not have a crate but does have access to her "den" in the master bedroom away from all of us but she is too much of a velcro dog to utilize it.

Here is a picture of the culprit

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

DenialTwist posted:

It may also be important to note that she does not have a crate but does have access to her "den" in the master bedroom away from all of us but she is too much of a velcro dog to utilize it.

Well dangit, that's what I was going to suggest. :P My dog is *mostly* fine with groups, and is a husky so he doesn't have those herding dog problems, but he does start that pacing and stuff after a little bit. I think it's just too overwhelming with a bunch of people in the house and the change of routine. So, after he starts getting like that, we just put him in his crate so he can get some rest. It's like he doesn't have to worry about it anymore. How is she with being separated? I'm guessing she'll show even MORE anxiety if you were to lock her in the other room, right?

I think you're in a tricky area as far as training it out of her goes, because obviously having all those people there is too much for her to handle. She's herding people back because she wants to be able to keep an eye on everyone. You want to remember to encourage calm behavior on her part even while everyone is just sitting around, regardless if it's someone leaving the room. Give your friends treats to give her so she sees them coming in as the bringer of good things, rather than suspicious people to keep tabs on. I think most importantly, though, if you can manage it, would be to start smaller. It's like training any other reactivity or any other thing that makes a dog feel uneasy. You want to bring them to the point JUST before they go over the top, and slowly increase the "distance to stimulus". In this case, the stimulus is groups. So maybe start with just one friend coming over. Have treats raining from the sky, and see if you can get her to settle down. Bonus points if she settles and you can have the person leave while she's not giving a gently caress. Ideally, work with just one person, then start changing it up, but keeping it only one person at a time. Once she's fine with that, increase it to two. Keep going in that fashion, etc.

Thing of it is, I understand that's a lot to ask of your friends! So in the mean time, try to manage it as much as possible. Try to work on independence games, as well, where your dog has to use her own brain to work as opposed to looking to you for instruction. You're already doing nosework, right? That is very much the sort of activity that will help her in the long run! :)

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

She has a lot of anxiety around being "trapped" anywhere she is fine alone out in the house ,but when she gets put in the bedroom when repair men or whatever come over her doggy brain breaks. I was kinda afraid that it's just too much for her to handle. She was on prozac for a while because she would stress out about the tiniest thing like me and my boyfriend being in different rooms would cause her to pace and generally freak out. The vet had me wean her off after a year and she has been doing a lot better, except in situations with lots of activity. My friends are totally dog people and are really understanding the difficult thing is that they usually come over to eat and drink, and drunk people are really bad at following directions.

Admittedly, I haven't been doing as much extra stuff with her lately because I just started a graduate program and I am going to be a first year teacher in a few weeks so things have been kinda crazy. I quit agility a while ago because a disagreement with one of their trainers training style (no, I will not leash pop my dog for not staying at the start line, and yes, I will curse at you if you do it to her for me). I haven't looked into doing nosework officially but we play find the treat games pretty often, maybe I will look into that in the fall when I only have classes one night a week instead of four. Any other suggestions for independence building are appreciated!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well shoot, I had you confused with someone else. :downs: Yeah, pretty much anything that has her thinking on her own is good. Nosework, tracking even more so, puzzle games, etc. Agility actually isn't isn't so fantastic for it because she constantly has to look at you for instruction of what to do next. It's great for building bonds and pushing boundaries when it comes to odd situations, but you're looking for independence rather than bonding. Sounds like you guys have had a hard time with those things, and obviously you're making strides in working on them. Just keep moving in the right direction! All this stuff is connected.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Double post, wah wah, but this is just loving hilarious and I would totally want it for Future Dog if I wasn't 100% positive my husband would think it's too sad:

http://www.julius-k9.us/nobodylovesmevelcrolabel-p-24.html

(Triangulum, did you already post this before? I think you might have...)

It's made to fit on this harness:
http://www.julius-k9.us/juliusk9originalpowerharness-p-2.html

I have a feeling after going to see the club train tonight, I'm going to be more determined than ever to get involved with SchH, I hope we can actually manage it. :ohdear: I'm honestly thinking of dropping my (EXTREMELY small) side business training so I can focus on my own dog and just do that all the time. Much more fun allocation of funds than paying for business insurance, right? :iamafag:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Not that exact label but I'm kinda obsessed with Julius K9 gear haha. That's my go-to general purpose harness, though I wouldn't pick it up for bitework. The chest strap rides too high on the chest and it doesn't distribute weight across the chest as well as the ones with a "Y" shaped front.

Some day :allears:

Ugh I just found out our Schutzhund classes are postponed for another 4 weeks 'cause our trainer decided to go to another Bob Bailey chicken camp. It's cool he's going to all these awesome training camps and seminars but drat, 10 weeks is a long time between classes :sigh: Class prices are going up too, which I totally understand. Hopefully by the time he's back Kas will be ready to take group classes and she and my husband can take the third slot in our class.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Geeze, and here I was wondering if staggering protection work every other weekend for budget's sake would be stretching it too far. :( How does that affect the work you've already done? If we CAN space out protection a bit, it might be more affordable and reasonable.

So, since you're a beginner, too, what equipment would you suggest to start, and what would you like to get down the line? What about the different phases, differences in ideal collars, harnesses, etc? I'm going to ask the trainers at the club, too, but it's better to get a broad sampling of suggestions. :) What are your favorite suppliers, too?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not really sure how it's going to effect his bite work but it shouldn't hurt tracking and OB too badly because I can work on those on my own. The nice thing is that our obedience trainer is my Schutzhund trainer's girlfriend and she does Schutzhund as well and has a really similar training style. She's been modifying the whip exercises so that they focus on striking and grip for Vecna, which is really cool.

For starter gear, I'd recommend
- a back clip harness of some sort, preferably with a handle and chest padding
- Agitation collar with a handle
- 2 balls on ropes (THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!)
- 2 small puppy bite tugs
- 33' tracking line
- Irrigation flags
- Leather bite rag
- Lunge whip if you don't already have one

This is most of my Schutzhund gear

It's a little outdated though. I've replaced the Julius K9 harness with this one, added some different types of tugs (rabbit fur, fleece, jute) and balls since I took that picture.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks! You've given me a bunch of fun stuff to look at. :allears:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This girl posts her progress with her (loving amazingly gorgeously beautiful) puppy on another forum I frequent. Love her. The videos she posts show a really amazing progression as the pup matures. I expect you do be doing this with your dog ASAP.

http://youtu.be/6HLsCruyjHM

E: Because I'm smitten.

a life less fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 29, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

OH my god, today was so much fun!!! :dance: Everyone at the club was just so nice and inviting, and it was just non-stop GSD talk and it was wonderful. :3: I've never seen so many stunning animals concentrated in one place before, it was great. It was nuts talking to so many like-minded individuals, too, it felt like a goon meet. :iamafag: I told my husband, chatting with the one trainer was like she was answering questions I hadn't even asked yet. Yeah, long story short, I REALLY do want to do SchH, and definitely with this club. The only concern, now, is being able to afford it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Triangulum posted:

Of course. Mutty GSDs are as welcome as ~purebreds~
So glad to see this because I grew up with a GSD / Border Collie that I picked out at the Humane Society when I was ten. He was just weaning. Many of the photos I have are scanned photographs, so here's Dakota:

Dakota had no interest in being indoors for any reason other than shadowing your every move. He camped with me in 40-something states and died comfortably shortly after I graduated from college. Miss him.

This thing, however:

Once an abused stray with worms, now she's just a goofball who shows off and rolls around on her back all day.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 30, 2013

• Locked thread