Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Painting black any suggestions?

In particular painting black robes, I'm starting an ulthwe army and its proving to be a pain to paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gilljoy posted:

Painting black any suggestions?

In particular painting black robes, I'm starting an ulthwe army and its proving to be a pain to paint

Don't paint black, paint dark gray. That way you can shade with black and highlight with a lighter shade of gray.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
So I gave the shading a try. Edge lightening works out fairly well, but crevice shadowing just looks sloppy and awful, like somebody smeared some murky water over the area. I'm currently using watered-down mixes of my previous acrylic paints, but I think at least a little of the problem comes from having mixed dark gray and black for my shadow color. I think I also made the mixture too dilute. It's especially problematic and sloppy-looking where the curve of the top of the engines slopes down onto the main flat body, where there isn't really a hard crevice.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't paint black, paint dark gray. That way you can shade with black and highlight with a lighter shade of gray.

Yeah I'm trying to do that but it turns out more grey than black

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

gilljoy posted:

Have you added the darker shadowing on top of it yet? It may seem obviously gray at first, but the way color perception works in the eyes, your brain will interpret the shading and the main object to be black still once it's all done and shadows are added.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

gilljoy posted:

I usually paint the whole thing black. Then progressively add grey to the black and layer up to the high points with really thin coats.

If done right, the effect is subtle, which is good I think. Like this:

Sorry for the awful cell phone picture, but I think it does an ok job of showing the end result

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That there's a pretty sweet Farseer, though.

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006
Its not everyday that one's beliefs are tested. Nope, that happens on Tuesdays. Ye-hup, Tuesdays.
I need advice on bases. I just got my Reaper Bones shipment in, and I intend to use them with D&D 4E (on a 1" Square Grid). So, I would like to keep the bases to a round 25mm. However, I really like the look of the Privateer Press 30mm Sunken Rounded edge. I just find the rounded edge really pleasing and the sunken edge gives the figure a nice frame. I've Googled for 25mm bases with these characteristics, but come up with nothing useful.

Does anyone know where I can get 100-plus 25mm Circle Base that has a lip? Has anyone used the 30mm bases for a D&D game set on a 1" Square Grid? Am I making too big a deal of the issue?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Dpstu6 posted:

I need advice on bases. I just got my Reaper Bones shipment in, and I intend to use them with D&D 4E (on a 1" Square Grid). So, I would like to keep the bases to a round 25mm. However, I really like the look of the Privateer Press 30mm Sunken Rounded edge. I just find the rounded edge really pleasing and the sunken edge gives the figure a nice frame. I've Googled for 25mm bases with these characteristics, but come up with nothing useful.

Does anyone know where I can get 100-plus 25mm Circle Base that has a lip? Has anyone used the 30mm bases for a D&D game set on a 1" Square Grid? Am I making too big a deal of the issue?

Can't comment on how well a 30mm base fits on an inch grid, but I'm fairly certain secret weapon miniatures makes lipped bases, both scenic and blank.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1 inch is 25.x millimeters so it isn't going to work.

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006
Its not everyday that one's beliefs are tested. Nope, that happens on Tuesdays. Ye-hup, Tuesdays.

Dulkor posted:

Can't comment on how well a 30mm base fits on an inch grid, but I'm fairly certain secret weapon miniatures makes lipped bases, both scenic and blank.

Thanks, and if I can't find 25mm, then I'm sure that link will be helpful for the 30mm bases! I actually got excited when I saw they did have 25mm sunken bases, but, they were beveled and not rounded. So close!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dpstu6 posted:

Fenris Games.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

That there's a pretty sweet Farseer, though.

Thanks, man.

Here's a few more equally lovely pictures of it, if you're into that sort of thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fnoigy posted:

So I gave the shading a try. Edge lightening works out fairly well, but crevice shadowing just looks sloppy and awful, like somebody smeared some murky water over the area. I'm currently using watered-down mixes of my previous acrylic paints, but I think at least a little of the problem comes from having mixed dark gray and black for my shadow color. I think I also made the mixture too dilute. It's especially problematic and sloppy-looking where the curve of the top of the engines slopes down onto the main flat body, where there isn't really a hard crevice.

Yeah, diluting normal paints will do that, they simply don't have enough pigment in them once you start thinning, which leads to blotchy results.

For better results, you need either washes (which can be bought from Vallejo, GW, Reaper, etc.) or inks. Both have a much higher pigment density than normal paints, especially if you've been using ordinary craft acrylics.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can buy oil paints (the stuff in tubes for paintings) and dilute them with white spirits to make an oil wash. You'll need to put gloss varnish on your model before using them, though, as the ethanol will eat acrylic paint.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 15, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

If you're feeling adventurous, you can buy oil paints (the stuff in tubes for paintings) and dilute them with white spirits to make an oil wash. You'll need to put gloss varnish on your model before using them, though, as the ethanol will eat acrylic paint.
Will "acrylic" (e.g. Vallejo Game brushed on) varnish suffice, or do we need a special one?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pierzak posted:

Will "acrylic" (e.g. Vallejo Game brushed on) varnish suffice, or do we need a special one?

I've only ever seen people use spray varnish, but I guess brushed-on should work?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

KozmoNaut posted:

I've only ever seen people use spray varnish, but I guess brushed-on should work?

Of course it will. Just be careful of pooling and you should be fine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I meant acrylic varnish (as opposed to lacquer or other kinds), won't ethanol eat through that?

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006

Thank you! I find it so odd that the only place to find these is across the pond.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
It's been a while since I last had the drive to finish painting something... but the Cygnar Rangers I got two weeks ago did the trick. Such beautiful models with interesting poses. And rifle barrels bent all too hell. They are so small and brittle that I was too scared to smoothe them out properly :(

Oh yeah, and the first guy who complains about urban camo being "unrealistic" gets a steam-powered robot to the groin. I love me my blue mans, and this was a way to make 'em feel rangery while still fitting into my paint scheme.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Luebbi posted:

Oh yeah, and the first guy who complains about urban camo being "unrealistic" gets a steam-powered robot to the groin.
No no no, they blend perfectly with the base lips :haw:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Completed the warpunk gnome necromancer.

A fluffy description:

Demigods, immortal kings and extra-dimensional entities lead their forces against one another in a brutal war. The recent magic-industrial revolution sees a new scale of fighting: a war that spans the sphere with multitudes fighting and countless dead.

On the battlefields of this strange realm wizards are among the elite; the necromancers are never in short supply of ammunition. Wights flow out of deep and forgotten tombs deep beneath the ground. Skeletons burst out of the earth at the feet of the enemy. The slain, gruesome, rise again and strike their former allies. Ghoulish screams and deranged chatter follow this Mage. As the dead tear the flesh of foes, the fighting Gnomes and their allies cheer with fierce rage.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Miniature storage, anyone have any suggestions besides using KR cases for everything. Not going to be used for transport really but I don't want things to get damaged when moving the models to and from storage.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

gilljoy posted:

Miniature storage, anyone have any suggestions besides using KR cases for everything. Not going to be used for transport really but I don't want things to get damaged when moving the models to and from storage.

I have shelves.. thats really about it, if you want containers, Id suggest something line a shallow cardboard box, like lose cans from Sams Club come in.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 15, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Luebbi posted:

Oh yeah, and the first guy who complains about urban camo being "unrealistic" gets a steam-powered robot to the groin. I love me my blue mans, and this was a way to make 'em feel rangery while still fitting into my paint scheme.

Hey, realism isn't the only consideration. There's also just plain looking cool, and if you game with them being able to easily identify them while in use. The blue fills those well.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

I have shelves.. thats really about it, if you want containers, Id suggest something line a shallow cardboard box, like lose cans from Sams Club come in.

Brilliant idea. Unfortunately I don't have room for a set of shelves like that :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

gilljoy posted:

Brilliant idea.

Until you have to dust them!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I have a display case for model cars that's mirrored in the back that's about four feet across diagonally and about five inches deep. It's got a clear plastic panel in front that's hinged on the top, so dust doesn't get in there so easily. It was meant to hold 21 cars, but each compartment easily holds thirty or so dudes and most vehicles, so long as they aren't too tall or wide. Makes for easy classification.

edit: stuff like this works well https://www.google.com/search?q=model+car+cases&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=D5jkUfqfLK-xygH60oA4&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=927

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

I wish I could get away with this in my house. Wife won't have it. My warmachine stuff is confined to a plastic tub atm.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Verdugo posted:

I wish I could get away with this in my house. Wife won't have it. My warmachine stuff is confined to a plastic tub atm.

Bigger house, or better wife? :smugdog:

Thats the basement, the whole floor is mine for my office and game room.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hey LumberingTroll since you're the person in these parts who has a laser cutter and MDF. What is the overall cost for cutting something like a 7 inch by 9 inch panel with a few holes in it? And what kind of engraving can you do on them without hurting the overall strength of the finished product?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

Bigger house, or better wife? :smugdog:

Thats the basement, the whole floor is mine for my office and game room.

Bigger house. If we had the room she wouldn't have a problem with it. :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Good thing I don't paint space marines otherwise I would be reconsidering my hobby after seeing that. Sick OSL and yellow stripes.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 16, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Hey LumberingTroll since you're the person in these parts who has a laser cutter and MDF. What is the overall cost for cutting something like a 7 inch by 9 inch panel with a few holes in it? And what kind of engraving can you do on them without hurting the overall strength of the finished product?

Depends on the complexity of what you want engraved for costs. Ball park, probably $20 - $25 including shipping (which would be around $5 as long as your domestic). If its super complex it might be a little more as it would mean more machine time. If you got something in mind hit me up in PMs I am sure we can work something out.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Until you have to dust them!

Ahh yes very good point!

Might try out a box file lined with some kind of magnetic receptor and glue magnets to the botom of the minis

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

Those look ace. I spent today trying to paint hazard stripes and got super frustrated again. I don't know how you other iron warrior players do it. I really dig all the conversions.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

LumberingTroll posted:

What are the robot-looking things on the second shelf from the bottom? They look pretty cool.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Looks like 2nd Ed Space Marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Maybe Dust or AT-43 stuff?

• Locked thread