Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
More than a little late, but ...

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anybody recommend me any live albums from the 1970s? I have a good few of the obvious culprits (Live At Leeds, Double Live Gonzo!, Frampton Comes Alive!, Live Killers, Made In Japan, You Get What You Play For, Captured and so on) but I'm interested in more obscure examples.

and since you mentioned liking soul, try J. Geils - Blow Your Face Out. One of THE mid-70s house party albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Crush
May 14, 2013
Arvo Part?

I've listened to the more popular pieces: Fratres, De Profundis, Tabula Rasa, Cantus In Memoriam Benjamin Britten, and Spiegel Im Spiegel - my favorites being Fratres and Tabula Rasa.

But where should I go from here, if I prefer instrumental pieces?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Fugazi?

I have 13 Songs and In on The Take Killer, but have no clue where to go from there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
*Kill Taker

Go for Repeater next.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

*Kill Taker

Go for Repeater next.

Yeah, I knew something didn't seem right. I'll go for it.

doritto
May 12, 2013

Lawless Laura Lee posted:

Where do I start with 2pac?

With 2Pac I would definitely start with All Eyez on Me, moving onto Me Against The World, and progressively later back.

Plonk
Jun 27, 2009
Well, where do I start with Black Sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age, Marillion and Premiata Forneria Marconi?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Plonk posted:

Queens of the Stone Age

Songs for the Deaf is their most popular album, and it's a great gateway to their sound. A perfect mix of heaviness and slick songwriting.

From there, check out Rated R. My personal favorite is their s/t debut but that's the heaviest batch of songs they've done, so if that's what floats your boat go that way.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Plonk posted:

Well, where do I start with Black Sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age, Marillion and Premiata Forneria Marconi?

With Sabbath, their most popular material is on their second record, Paranoid, but there's a reason why people often say The First Four Black Sabbath Albums (like that, with caps), and that is because they all utterly slay. Start with record one, side one, song one ("Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath) and go from there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Allen Wren posted:

With Sabbath, their most popular material is on their second record, Paranoid, but there's a reason why people often say The First Four Black Sabbath Albums (like that, with caps), and that is because they all utterly slay. Start with record one, side one, song one ("Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath) and go from there.

Yeah, this is good advice. After that the material with Ozzy can be a little shaky, although there are some drat good songs in there. I'm not generally a fan of anything after Ozzy, but Heaven and Hell with Ronnie James Dio is definitely worth checking out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I certainly did not mean to give short shrift to Dio-era Sabbath, which had some amazing stuff as well; as mentioned, Heaven and Hell is the place to start---that said, Mob Rules, the album immediately after, is the place to stop.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah. Black Sabbath was incredible for a while, and then they weren't.

Anyone who's interested in Black Sabbath generally should check out Iommi, which is basically Black Sabbath plus some vocal heavy hitters. You'd expect good things from Pete Steele or Phil Anselmo or Henry Rollins, but surprisingly the best performances (IMO) come from Dave Grohl and Billy Idol. I think all the songs are on Youtube now, so that's the place to look.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
John Wesley Harding has a lot of albums on Spotify. Help me!

Also, Andrew Bird.

Edit: Well, I just listened to Break It Yourself, and that was fantastic for anyone else wanting to get in to Bird. Reminds me of a more threadbare, or country, Sufjan Stevens (in a good way).

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2013

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also, Andrew Bird.

Edit: Well, I just listened to Break It Yourself, and that was fantastic for anyone else wanting to get in to Bird. Reminds me of a more threadbare, or country, Sufjan Stevens (in a good way).

Personally, I would have suggested either Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs or The Swimming Hour (for his Bowl of Fire period). He kind of lost me after Noble Beast (I found it ungodly dull) and I haven't really checked anything he's released since then.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also, Andrew Bird.

Armchair Apocrypha is also really, really good - my favourite album of his

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Johnny Cash anyone? I've heard his "American" series of records, but would like to explore his earlier career

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

screaden posted:

Johnny Cash anyone? I've heard his "American" series of records, but would like to explore his earlier career

At Folsom Prison is the best live album ever made and the perfect gateway to Johnny Cash.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Where do I start with Sun Ra?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Discombobulator posted:

Where do I start with Sun Ra?

Sun Ra is a great two-prong starter:

Kick off with Jazz in Silhouette to see what he does with more traditional jazz.

Then jump to the Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra for something more experimental.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
How about some John Denver, y'all?

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also, Andrew Bird.

I'd also recommend The Mysterious Production of Eggs if you want another Andrew Bird album - Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left, Sovay, and Opposite Day are all awesome songs from that record.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to learn this funk metal piece on guitar at the moment. My teacher's recommended I listen to Nuno Bettencourt and Steve Vai to get a feel for the genre; I own all three Extreme albums already but I don't really know much about Vai's solo output (I have the Whitesnake album he played on and I've heard a bit of what he did with David Lee Roth), so what's a good place to start for him?

What else is there in that category (funk metal, possibly with shred guitar) that's worth checking out?

EDIT: Maybe I should mention I'm not terribly keen on alternative rock in general? That might narrow the field a little too much, I'm not sure.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 15, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I think "funk metal" (which is a term that very rarely applies to actual metal at all) I think Primus, Faith No More and Infectious Grooves. None of them really have a lot of shredding. It's a style that's more conducive to good bass players than great guitar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The sort of funk-metal approach that they're talking about with Vai makes me think more of one outlier album than his traditional solo material, from what little of Steve Vai I've listened to---Sex & Religion. It's not where I'd suggest starting for Vai for someone who wants to hear the dude play, but it's got the sort of groove that I think your teacher is talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGDZZX3OMk

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqKy80xNHU

It's not really funk. Or funk-metal.

e: I hate to be That Guy but the fact that you're calling it a "piece" and you're referring to your teacher who's suggesting Vai for anything even vaguely related to funk makes me think that that dude is way the gently caress out of touch with anything that has ever been described as funky.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

e: I hate to be That Guy but the fact that you're calling it a "piece" and you're referring to your teacher who's suggesting Vai for anything even vaguely related to funk makes me think that that dude is way the gently caress out of touch with anything that has ever been described as funky.

Oh, dear. It seems that I've gone and misrepresented him rather unfairly. I can assure you that's not the case (I must admit that he said Bettencourt was the best starting point for getting a feel for the style in question, and he only mentioned Vai in response to what was a bit of a leading question on my part) but I see how you'd get that from my post. Sorry!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, dear. It seems that I've gone and misrepresented him rather unfairly. I can assure you that's not the case (I must admit that he said Bettencourt was the best starting point for getting a feel for the style in question, and he only mentioned Vai in response to what was a bit of a leading question on my part) but I see how you'd get that from my post. Sorry!

Your teacher should know enough to suggest Eddie Hazel.

Maggot Brain - Hazel playing one of the greatest guitar songs known to man, animal, and beyond.

Funkadelic

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
I'm looking for some guidance getting into more classical music. Part of my question is where to start with a few composers, namely Chopin, Stravinsky, and Bartok, but I also need some sort of a resource or rationale I can use to determine what renditions of the pieces I'm seeking out are good. I imagine the orchestra is almost as important as the composer when listening to classical.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Pogobubba posted:

I'm looking for some guidance getting into more classical music. Part of my question is where to start with a few composers, namely Chopin, Stravinsky, and Bartok, but I also need some sort of a resource or rationale I can use to determine what renditions of the pieces I'm seeking out are good. I imagine the orchestra is almost as important as the composer when listening to classical.

With regards to Stravinsky, for the ballets are you going to watch a ballet performance or just listen to the music. Because that will change my recommendations one way or the other.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

With regards to Stravinsky, for the ballets are you going to watch a ballet performance or just listen to the music. Because that will change my recommendations one way or the other.

Just intending to listen, not watch anything. Never thought I'd get a response from the man himself!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Discombobulator posted:

How about some John Denver, y'all?

He has some really great tunes but a lot of duds imo. Honestly this is one artist I feel fine recommending a greatest hits album, but I'm far from a hardcore fan so opinions from others will likely dissent.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Went to see the "David Bowie is" exhibition in London, where do I start with his music, he's one of those acts where I know who he is and like his music but only really know a few of his songs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory are good starting points and should have a lot of familiar tunes.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Anime_Otaku posted:

Went to see the "David Bowie is" exhibition in London, where do I start with his music, he's one of those acts where I know who he is and like his music but only really know a few of his songs.

We covered this on the last page.

The OP should sticky the common or popular requests on the front or something.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hatelull posted:

We covered this on the last page.

The OP should sticky the common or popular requests on the front or something.

Hell, we could write a book.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Where do I start with Kyuss? Dire Straits? The Stranglers?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

karl fungus posted:

Where do I start with Kyuss? Dire Straits? The Stranglers?

Welcome to Sky Valley > that blue something thing > the rest stinks.
Who cares.
Whe first LP like with every punk band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blues For the Red Sun is the best combination of quality, accessibility and diversity for Kyuss. After that get Welcome to Sky Valley. If you like them a lot the other two aren't bad.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Pogobubba posted:

The most notable things Stravinsky did were ballets. And so I would say start with them. They are for the most part stellar and each are unique. This is the order I would go about listening to them:

The Firebird
Apollo
Orpheus (Its considered kind of a sequel to Apollo)
The Rite of Spring
Les noces
Agon

From there try branching out and hitting his opera work: Oedipus Rex and The Rake's Progress. This way you have hit each of his periods and can pick out which really strike your fancy. Once you figure that out you should look into his other works in that period. Personally I am a fan of his Russian period and so I tend to fancy some of his earlier works.

I do highly suggest that at some point you take a look at the ballets on youtube. The musical composition is just part of the experience and you may lose some of the impact of not knowing some of the context. Especially for Rite of Spring.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

And since no one else chimed in, in regards to Chopin I would start with his Nocturnes. They are some of his best works. Then maybe work through his opus numbering system and start from the beginning all the way to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
Will do. The more important part of my question was really finding good renditions though - how do you determine which ones to listen to?