Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jizznastics posted:

Benny since you seem to refuse to egnolige my proposal, maybe you should think about join the services. They will get you in shape with boot Camp and you will get a pention if I am not mistaken.

We went over this a few pages ago -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Can't ctrl+f on my phone, but has Benny mentioned the service? He hits a shrink then the Army doesn't take him. He doesn't get to wash potatoes for 6 years.
It seems like he really needs to see one at this point. The Army has been brought up but it wasn't really that serious. Benny would just blow his hand off in boot camp anyway.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

DO NOT QUIT TARGET TO WORK WITH YOUR DAD. DO WORK WITH YOUR DAD WITHOUT QUITTING TARGET.

Jizznastics posted:

Why hasn't benny moved out of his house yet!?!? if hes found work theires no reason why he can not go out and by himself a used work van to stay in for a couple of months until he can really save up for some sort of apartment type gig. At this point I don't see how beny is saving any money, especially if hes paying rent and Bull poo poo to his parents

Benny since you seem to refuse to egnolige my proposal, maybe you should think about join the services. They will get you in shape with boot Camp and you will get a pention if I am not mistaken.

You are the dumbest person in this thread.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Benny, if you moved out of your parents house and lived in a cardboard box think of all the money you would save. You would have your own place in no time.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Benny, PLEASE listen to everyone and DO NOT QUIT TARGET TO WORK ON THIS JOB

You can't put "helped family friend" on your resume. No future employer will accept it was work experience and it will even count against you if you leave Target.

PLEASE listen to us on this. Once your probation is up at Target, you will have a stable job. After a year you will get benefits. PLEASE, PLEASE listen to the goons.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Also, if renovation doesn't mean 'lawnwork', which I'm pretty sure it didn't last time I checked, you will be in for a hell of a time. My parents took on the job of renovating a house my aunty bought, it took nearly two years, and there was a lot of resentment and bitching and bad feelings.

Also they didn't get paid.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
If he does renovations we might get 'lost fingat' V2.0!
'Might', who am I kidding?
Lawnwork, Jesus wept, Benny.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

You are the dumbest person in this thread.

(read his post again, I do believe it's tongue-in-cheek)

"egnolige"

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hyzenth1ay posted:

(read his post again, I do believe it's tongue-in-cheek)

"egnolige"

Read his previous posts in this thread. That guy legit believes Benny should enlist and/or live in a van.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Coffee Wolf posted:

Welp, time to go renovate the lawn. Maybe refurbish some shrubs while I'm at it. I'm going to ask for some help vivifying the cactus, though.
This actually makes me think that Benny is doing the thing from Lolita where Humbert Humbert observes his oblivious, happy American neighbors:

quote:

My west-door neighbor, who might have been a businessman or a college teacher, or both, would speak to me once in a while as he barbered some late garden blooms or watered his car, or, at a later date, defrosted his driveway (I don't mind if these verbs are all wrong)...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm not quitting one job to work the other: I'm doing both.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

What do you even know about landscaping and home renovations? How many hours will you work? What is the schedule? How much/when will you be paid? How are you going to work up the wherewithal to do this side job when you had no problem screwing over a coworker at your primary job?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Morby posted:

What do you even know about landscaping and home renovations? How many hours will you work? What is the schedule? How much/when will you be paid? How are you going to work up the wherewithal to do this side job when you had no problem screwing over a coworker at your primary job?
It's all in the same city and I know my family will work around my primary job hours. I'm gonna approach them tomorrow about this whole thing.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

It's all in the same city and I know my family will work around my primary job hours. I'm gonna approach them tomorrow about this whole thing.

How motivated about this are you?

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Benny the Snake posted:

Thank you.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

BrainParasite posted:

Read his previous posts in this thread. That guy legit believes Benny should enlist and/or live in a van.

Yeah he's posted living in a van and using parks or whatever to brush your teeth as advice multiple times, just ignore him.

Benny how did you get lawn work from "renovating the house"?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

Its your family, you found out about this cool opportunity on the 12th. Why didn't you call them on the 12th, or today? Why is tomorrow the best day?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Its your family, you found out about this cool opportunity on the 12th. Why didn't you call them on the 12th, or today? Why is tomorrow the best day?

Hey, at least he didn't put it off til after 'the holidays' this time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

docbeard posted:

Hey, at least he didn't put it off til after 'the holidays' this time.

Bastille Day is a big day for cart-pushing.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

I know my family will work around my primary job hours.

Just like when your mom scheduled your graduation or birthday party or whatever on a day you had to work then got mad at you because of what she did? Or pick any of the other numerous times your family has proven they have little to no respect for you. I thought your goal was to get away from your crazy family, not spend additional time with them. Do whatever I don't really care at this point but don't kid yourself about this.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Twenty Four posted:

Just like when your mom scheduled your graduation or birthday party or whatever on a day you had to work then got mad at you because of what she did? Or pick any of the other numerous times your family has proven they have little to no respect for you. I thought your goal was to get away from your crazy family, not spend additional time with them. Do whatever I don't really care at this point but don't kid yourself about this.

I honestly think his family isn't half as bad as he makes them out to be.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That's when my Uncle Jim, who's renting out the place, will be down here. I'd much rather negotiate terms in person.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ClemenSalad posted:

They made Benny.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Negotiate terms. I hope this is a formal affectation because family doesn't negotiate terms for what is effectively slave labor :) Your uncle might be thinking more, $20 + pizza's on me.

I have done this sort of stuff for my father and never saw a red cent. Even when it was clear I would get cash.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Negotiate terms. I hope this is a formal affectation because family doesn't negotiate terms for what is effectively slave labor :) Your uncle might be thinking more, $20 + pizza's on me.

I have done this sort of stuff for my father and never saw a red cent. Even when it was clear I would get cash.

Yea this. I honestly would never do work for family unless it was a favor/bonding time (with any cash being bonus).

Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

Geoj posted:

I think there was an implied "in recent memory" in that question. The sure as hell hasn't been a successful major nonviolent protest movement in the United States since the Civil Rights era. Thanks to constant erosion of constitutional rights the government can pretty much shut down any protest movement by requiring permits and refusing to issue them, arbitrarily establishing "free speech zones" that conveniently keep protesters on some weed-choked vacant lot on the outskirts of town and out of sight/mind, or simply cracking down on the protests with brute police force without justification when everything else fails - because most of the population couldn't care less and the rest are of the opinion that the police should be able to shoot protesters unless they're wearing tri-corner hats and pining for the days of being able to own people.

Ok I vacillated on responding to this because I'm usually pretty firm about not contributing to derails, but I've seen this sentiment a lot and it confuses the hell out of me. There is something called civil disobedience, on the continuum between civil war and doing everything you're told. If the government is putting up a bunch of red tape between you and protest (permits, free speech zones), then you break the law, because the law is unjust. If there hasn't been a successful major nonviolent protest movement in the US since the Civil Rights movement, it's because there hasn't been a major nonviolent protest movement since then.

Aaaanyway, this is completely irrelevant to this thread. Sorry.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

ClemenSalad posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531379&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post412074647

I think I pretty much said that 6 months ago.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

blackmet posted:

Data is better than anecdote. Yes, it does invalidate your point.

And, as we all know, 18 year olds are known for their wonderful decision making skills and brilliant financial decisions. They're also able magically able to see well off into the future to know EXACTLY what will make them most "marketable" to a future boss.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Because your college counselor obviously gave you the advice to not get a college degree, and none of your friends or relations brought their outdated opinion of "college degrees were required when I was in college so you better get one too or else" to browbeat you with.

Is it really that out-there a thought to not blame the people who were sold on "go to college" since they were too young to vote? Or are you just going to err on the side of "Well, I'm not in debt so they're just stupid :smug:"

I never said "college is stupid" or "people shouldn't get a college degree". I was talking about specific college degrees that high schoolers make fun of because they don't tend to land graduates into well-paying jobs.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Arch Stanton posted:

I never said "college is stupid" or "people shouldn't get a college degree". I was talking about specific college degrees that high schoolers make fun of because they don't tend to land graduates into well-paying jobs.

Yes because we should all pay more attention to what high schoolers make fun of and really just let that stuff shape our actions and world view.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
People in high school are terrible in general but can you imagine how annoying a high school kid that teases people for choosing the wrong major would be?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Right now almost no college degrees will land you well-paying jobs. Very few college graduates are laying well-paying jobs. A lot of college graduates aren't landing any jobs, especially not in their field. I graduated with a degree in CS not too long ago and I'm still waiting for the companies beating down my door offering me jobs that I was promised by literally every person who told me I picked the "right" major and that everyone who majored in English was stupid. I also have English-major and theatre-major friends that did get jobs in their field right out of college. It's almost like...picking a certain major doesn't determine your success!

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Right now almost no college degrees will land you well-paying jobs. Very few college graduates are laying well-paying jobs. A lot of college graduates aren't landing any jobs, especially not in their field. I graduated with a degree in CS not too long ago and I'm still waiting for the companies beating down my door offering me jobs that I was promised by literally every person who told me I picked the "right" major and that everyone who majored in English was stupid. I also have English-major and theatre-major friends that did get jobs in their field right out of college. It's almost like...picking a certain major doesn't determine your success!

Aside from choice of major, factors like what college you attended, what your grades were like, and what work/internship experience you had before graduation have become bigger influences as well. Benny, I don't know much about your school or whatever extracurricular/career-related experience you had there, but this can also help or hurt you.

A degree in a traditionally lucrative field like computer science or finance no longer comes with the guarantee of a good job. Students who excel in either of these programs at a top tier university with strong ties to corporate recruiters and lots of successful alumni in the industry won't struggle nearly as much as students who attend a less reputable or less connected school, although those at top schools whose grades or extracurricular resumes are lacking probably still will.

This is not to say that private universities are always a good idea or that public universities are always a bad idea, or even that attending university at all is always right or wrong. The situation can vary so much based on what you're studying and what you want to do after graduating. And certain majors, English included, are going to make it more challenging to find relevant work at a living wage no matter where you studied.

I think you mentioned grad school a few times, so even if these observations have come too late to help you with undergrad program decisions, they're still going to apply at the graduate level in many cases. A lot of adults, including those who went to college themselves and built a career as well as those who did not go to college and missed out on opportunities as a result, still believe the party line about how college graduates are essentially guaranteed a decent job. This is absolutely false, and it's not just because of a lovely economy. When your parents were in their 20s, fewer people made the decision to attend college at all, which resulted in a less competitive situation during school and while job-hunting afterward. Today, college is seen as the natural choice for many, many more people, and this has made it much more difficult for certain college grads who'd have had an easy time getting a job in the past. If relatively few people finish university, then graduating with a B.A. and OK grades opens up a lot more doors than it does when there are a glut of qualified students pursuing every desirable job listing available.

What I'm saying is that you should not view grad school, however far in the future that option might be, as a ticket out of a poor career situation. The same goes for going to back to school in any capacity. Today, a university education is not necessarily a good investment, and it's your responsibility to evaluate whether you'll get a positive return. The probability of a good outcome is lower, and the cost of education is higher. It's not worth it to pile on the loans for an advanced degree that is unlikely to improve your job prospects or increase your earning potential. From an intellectual perspective, education has an inherent value, but for most people, it's not going to be worth tens of thousands of dollars unless it pays off financially.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 16, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also working against recent graduates are people with degrees and years of experience in their field are willing to work for entry-level wages in the post-recession economy. Why would you take a risk on a recent graduate when you can get someone who both has a degree and a proven track record willing to work for peanuts?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you know liberal-arts colleges at all, Pomona is a Big Deal. From Wikipedia: "The 2013 annual ranking of U.S. News & World Report categorizes Pomona as 'most selective' and ranks it tied for the 4th best liberal arts college in the nation (and 5th for "Best Value")."

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
"discuss terms...." loving hell. Benny, when i demo'd the old deck at my mom's house, replaced with a new deck, dug drain's, did poo poo ton's of crawlspace work, and redid most of the plumbing before she sold it I was paid reimbursement for whatever materials I had to buy, as much food as I could eat (loads I’m a goon) and beer. I also did not complain about this because that’s typically how family poo poo works. Mind you I’m not saying don’t do it, I think some labor would be good for you. I just have it in my mind your going to tell your relations "well I have done my walk around and I can quote you around 1k for the full work or I’m walking" then go read comics.

I want to like you Benny, the economy is poo poo right now and that isn’t necessarily your fault but gently caress you are odd in the way you deal with things.

FUCKEDIT:

ThatCguy posted:

You shut the gently caress up and put your poo poo away in boxes.

I just read this post again from the second page and i'm curious what your brother is doing and where the plan for the two of you to get a 1 bedroom or something is.

GidgetNomates posted:

I graduated with a degree in CS not too long ago and I'm still waiting for the companies beating down my door offering me jobs that I was promised by literally every person who told me I picked the "right" major

You, move. Seriously. I just watched kids with 2.8's-2.1's graduate with CS Degrees in well paying fields. Location location location. NOVA man.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 16, 2013

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So Benny your plan is to follow your Dad around who is cutting down a few trees, presuming to pick up sticks/etc. Seriously, how much do you expect get compensated by your relatives for that? Are your 'terms' fixed price or an hourly rate?

Also, SA E/N readers - what is the longest running/most posts E/N thread ever dealing with a single person's issues. I'd think this has to be approaching that.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

So Benny your plan is to follow your Dad around who is cutting down a few trees, presuming to pick up sticks/etc. Seriously, how much do you expect get compensated by your relatives for that? Are your 'terms' fixed price or an hourly rate?

Also, SA E/N readers - what is the longest running/most posts E/N thread ever dealing with a single person's issues. I'd think this has to be approaching that.

This doesn't even come *close* to the "thissucks" saga.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Darth123123 posted:

There are (much) longer threads in BFC that are similar. Tuyop's thread has been going for 2+ years(He's working on paying down what was 60k in debt). This is definitely a quite long thread though, certainly top 1% for e/n type threads.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

PurePerfection posted:

Aside from choice of major, factors like what college you attended, what your grades were like, and what work/internship experience you had before graduation have become bigger influences as well. Benny, I don't know much about your school or whatever extracurricular/career-related experience you had there, but this can also help or hurt you.

A degree in a traditionally lucrative field like computer science or finance no longer comes with the guarantee of a good job. Students who excel in either of these programs at a top tier university with strong ties to corporate recruiters and lots of successful alumni in the industry won't struggle nearly as much as students who attend a less reputable or less connected school, although those at top schools whose grades or extracurricular resumes are lacking probably still will.

It's almost as if you have to take a complete, rounded, intentional approach instead of "beep boop complete CS degree, cash checks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Benny you should just sell drugs. At least that way you can sit at home and read comics all day and smoke weed. You would make a lot of money and meet interesting people.

• Locked thread