Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Or might I just as well download a tuner app for my Android phone? I don't think I trust some phone to keep an accurate clock reference...

Try one called PitchLab, it has a bunch of modes including spectral strobing displays, so you might be able to find something that works for you

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baka kaba posted:

Try one called PitchLab, it has a bunch of modes including spectral strobing displays, so you might be able to find something that works for you

Pitchlab looks cool and very customizable, but it won't let me define Trumpet as an instrument. It has 0 strings. =(

Edit: Scratch that, it actually seems to work really well.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 14, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I just use the chromatic strobey setting. Some of the other stuff is neat too (like the 'what's this chord' bit)

Also, I know you're dying to know that your av reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV52OA3yqjw

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Hey, uhm... on the staff, right? How do I write down a chord that has sounds: D-sharp, G, A-sharp? The problem is all those sharps don't fit on the left side of the notes and I have to put a dot on the right side (since it's supposed to be 3/4 beats long). And speaking of which - if I write down a chord on the staff and I want it to last 3/4 of a bar, do I put a dot next to each not of which it consists or just one dot next to the entire chord?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Red Garland posted:

Hey, uhm... on the staff, right? How do I write down a chord that has sounds: D-sharp, G, A-sharp? The problem is all those sharps don't fit on the left side of the notes and I have to put a dot on the right side (since it's supposed to be 3/4 beats long). And speaking of which - if I write down a chord on the staff and I want it to last 3/4 of a bar, do I put a dot next to each not of which it consists or just one dot next to the entire chord?

Well it depends on the context but I'd write it down as Eb, G, Bb. Also put the dot on each note, because it's entirely possible to write a chord that has two notes last half a bar and one note that lasts three fourths.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Red Garland posted:

(via Finale Notepad, which is free and does a good job with automagic score layout).

EDIT: Weird BIAS's suggestion about spelling it as E♭ G B♭ is sensible, depending on the context.

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 21, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

Just to elaborate a little, the reason Eb is sensible is that the key of Eb has 3 flats whereas the equivalent key of D# would have 9 sharps. A key with 9 sharps is a lot harder to understand and read than one with 3 flats, so D# is generally not used and music is written out in Eb instead. So, as a result, absent any other context the assumption is that a D#/Eb major chord is in the key of Eb.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I've got a grounding problem, which is bad. The details:

- I'm recording my guitar on to a desktop computer

- My recording program is Pro Tools 8

- I'm running my guitar through a Line 6 UX1

So the process is "Guitar ---> UX1 ---> Pro Tools"

The guitar, specifically the pickups, have a small (is there such a thing?) consistent shock. I'm assuming it's a grounding problem.

Would the guitar cables be a problem? Is it a problem with my house's electrical system? Short of calling an electrician, is there anything I can do?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Faltese Malkin posted:

I've got a grounding problem, which is bad. The details:

- I'm recording my guitar on to a desktop computer

- My recording program is Pro Tools 8

- I'm running my guitar through a Line 6 UX1

So the process is "Guitar ---> UX1 ---> Pro Tools"

The guitar, specifically the pickups, have a small (is there such a thing?) consistent shock. I'm assuming it's a grounding problem.

Would the guitar cables be a problem? Is it a problem with my house's electrical system? Short of calling an electrician, is there anything I can do?

Can you draw a diagram of how they are wired, including power cables to the PC and UX1? It would be good to know if they are all on the same ground or not.

Edit: A helpful video on ground loops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0jAeq1kzM

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 24, 2013

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..
I browsed the Musician's Lounge, but found no classical music (mega)thread? Do we just have very few classical musicians here? Did I miss it (I double checked, but I'm easily distracted)? ..or is there some other reason?

heap
Jan 27, 2004

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

I browsed the Musician's Lounge, but found no classical music (mega)thread? Do we just have very few classical musicians here? Did I miss it (I double checked, but I'm easily distracted)? ..or is there some other reason?
I don't think ML has one at the moment.

You could make a thread, though! Classical musicians seem to be relatively few/quiet around here but maybe some would come out of the woodwork. I mean, we had a classical guitar thread that had a lot of repertoire discussion, if I remember correctly.

I think a lot of the general discussion threads around here tend to be centered around instruments/gear and not genres, though there are exceptions.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Hey, thanks a lot Weird BIAS and h_double for answering my previous question. Here's another one:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/oct97/arranging1.html - what would be a good further reading on this? Well, maybe that's not the proper question since there's a high possibility that a specific book that you'd recommend isn't available in my language, but in general where should I be looking? Is it a specific field of music that deals with everything unrelated to harmony and rhythm? Is just "arrangement" the proper term for it, and is this the field I should be looking into?

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

Red Garland posted:

Hey, thanks a lot Weird BIAS and h_double for answering my previous question. Here's another one:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/oct97/arranging1.html - what would be a good further reading on this? Well, maybe that's not the proper question since there's a high possibility that a specific book that you'd recommend isn't available in my language, but in general where should I be looking? Is it a specific field of music that deals with everything unrelated to harmony and rhythm? Is just "arrangement" the proper term for it, and is this the field I should be looking into?

Arranging is a good place to start, though you really could cut that into smaller sized topics as well. And you are right, arranging music doesn't deal (much) with harmony and rhythm and more with progression, tension, dynamics (not to be confused with the dynamics of a particular sound) and other, esoteric concepts like "flow" that I don't have the English ability to put into good words.

Its an interesting topic because sometimes you can find a really simple song that becomes exciting because it has been arranged in a way that keeps you looking for the next part and surprises you with something you don't expect. It also, like a lot of music topics doesn't have a "right" answer as you can arrange a song in any way you like really and still call it a song.

I don't have any recommendations on where to go next to learn more, but you can find a whole ton of really interesting articles on the internet that might help to fire your imagination and give you a bit more info on the terminology and common practices. Maybe Youtube as well?

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

heap posted:

I don't think ML has one at the moment.

You could make a thread, though! Classical musicians seem to be relatively few/quiet around here but maybe some would come out of the woodwork. I mean, we had a classical guitar thread that had a lot of repertoire discussion, if I remember correctly.

I think a lot of the general discussion threads around here tend to be centered around instruments/gear and not genres, though there are exceptions.

Welp, not sure I'm the best candidate to lead a post, but created one none-the-less!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Can I write music down without knowing what key it's in to make a key signature at the beginning? Or am I way overthinking this and keys end up being really obvious as you write. Am I underthinking it?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
If you know your scales then I don't see how the key signature would be a mystery. Does the piece's tonality change part-way through? Is there a modulation?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

juche mane posted:

If you know your scales then I don't see how the key signature would be a mystery. Does the piece's tonality change part-way through? Is there a modulation?

I don't know em though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you mean on a staff, the key signature's there so you can designate every instance of a note (A to G) as sharp or flat, which means you don't have annotate every single one of them in the actual music. If you just write out the notes with their sharps and flats (and assuming nothing fancy is happening with the music like key changes) then you'll see the same notes coming up as sharp or flat most or all of the time, like lots of F# notes and fewer F-natural notes (if any). Then you can just stick a # in the key signature on the F line and drop them from your notation, and mark up the F-naturals explicitly instead.

Probably the trickier part is knowing whether to write things as say F# or Gb. The rule of thumb is that yr key has one (one) of every named note from A to G, and some of those are sharp or flat. Picking sharps or flats for the key will make it neater and give you one of each note: Bb Major has the notes Bb C D Eb F G A, you could write it as A# C D D# F G A but that breaks the one-of-each rule. So probably the best thing to do is work out the notes you're mostly using (and the ones you ain't), decide if you need to go with sharps or flats, and then you can stick them on the signature.

That's sort of a simplistic way of doing things (and analysing music you make from what 'sounds cool' can end up pretty complicated, especially if you don't know a ton about theory like I don't) but it might save you a bit of time if you're using a staff. Do notation packages like Finale let you throw notes and accidentals around and then automatically fit them all into a key later?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. Last time I used it for serious (hobbyist) recording was a couple years ago and I remember the latency being almost nonexistent. I've just recently got it installed in a previous generation high end desktop running XP and I can definitely notice that if I play too fast or even bend a guitar string that the output from the speaker has enough of a latency and sounds weird e.g. out of phase with a small delay effect.

Is there a way to bypass any sort of digital processing and send the line-in 2 directly to the output and my speakers? I have AISO drivers installed, which is how I remember getting the best performance previously but doesn't seem to be working this time.

e: Ugh I forgot the most important part: the computer's audio is running to the TV's input and then the TV's output goes to the speakers. It was the stupid TV causing the latency. Now I'm back to the performance I thought I should be getting.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 26, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I don't know em though.

Well there ya go then, learn your major scales :) Start with C, then G, then D, then A, E, etc. Also look at the circle of fifths.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

nm, wrong thread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking for recommendations on clip-on microphones for use on a trumpet, can anyone throw some items at me? Not trying to break the bank, either.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I arranged a piece called "I am the doctor" from Doctor Who, for guitar and voice, in Tux Guitar, but I can't play it, at least yet. However, from my previous record I can say that I'm never going to be able to play it well enough to make it worth recording, unless in maybe ten-twenty years I don't grow tired of it. However, I've converted it into an mp3 using a website, and it sounds reasonably nice, although I would have changed some accents if I played myself. My question is, should I release the arrangement to the public, and if yes, in what form? I'm actually thinking of getting a better musician to record it, although it would have to be for free 'cause I am broke. And even as I'm writing this I keep thinking that I should just try harder, even if I've never been known for my good singing voice.

Also, right now I don't have any recording equipment.

Monte Blood Bank
Dec 1, 2005

and we are faceless
you cannot attack us

take the money and then
run
I have an m audio key studio without a cord and some sort of weird proprietary usb interface without a cable. Does anyone know the cable that attaches to M Audio products, or is this an irreplaceable part I'm missing?

Some pictures of the midi controller and interface:

http://i.imgur.com/IuMKBr2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yaV0dxm.jpg

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

YASD posted:

I have an m audio key studio without a cord and some sort of weird proprietary usb interface without a cable. Does anyone know the cable that attaches to M Audio products, or is this an irreplaceable part I'm missing?

That's a pretty standard USB cable. I have several from unknown sources, I have a brother printer that uses that same end.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

That's a pretty standard USB cable. I have several from unknown sources, I have a brother printer that uses that same end.

That was what most USB stuff used before all these fancy micro and mini plugs took over the market, walking on the lawn, and playing their loud music.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I need a lavalier mic and some way to project sound for a wedding ceremony in a small venue space (120 people, like 10 rows of folding chairs). I'm thinking just find the cheapest mic+wireless transmitter possible with an 1/8th inch out, and get some cheap powered speakers to put at the back.

anyone have any recommendations/warnings for cheap wireless lavalier setups? I've seen some $20 poo poo on ebay, but honestly that sketches me out. budget (since this is probably a one time use thing) is under 100. maybe I should just rent, but I also like owning useless stuff that's kind of fun to play with, so if something would work under $100, I'd rather just buy it.

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

YASD posted:

That's called USB B (as opposed to A) and it's super common. Here's a cable on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Hi-Speed-USB-2-0-Cable/dp/B001MXLD4G/

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm terminating a cable into an XLR chassis mount that uses set screws. The problem is the chassis mount has a rubber diaphragm thing designed to help isolate the mic, but our users just grab the mic and crank it around which pulls on the connector/cable and causes some horrid feedback. Is there a proper procedure to terminate this that I can follow and hopefully reduce this?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
I'm working with two other people to do this sorta synth-based, live automation/sampling "thing". The singer's mic, drummer's electronic drums, and prerecorded/automated synths go into the mixing board, which are then aux-sent to effects (tempo sync'ed delay on one send, sampler on the other), which come back to the same mixing board, which then all goes out to the PA. We played a show at a cool bar and coffee shop, with a tolerant and helpful sound guy. He told me our sound was ok, but in the future that sending only MAIN OUT was something that would aggravate sound guys going forward. This makes sense, as the sound guy is going to take pride in how everything sounds going through their system, and if we don't give them enough to work with (such as, separate outputs for each track) they'd be tempted to sit back and go "fine, do it yourself and sound lovely then" with a sigh of resignation.

My question is concerning the best way to make the sound guy happy. I have a splitter box that can split one stereo track (two monos, basically), but anything going through that lowers the output volume slightly and I'm thinking that using it could be a bit unpredictable. Also, we would need 3 splits rather than 2. We all have headphones for monitoring. It looks like lots of DIs have two outputs, intending for one to go to the player's amp, and one to go to the sound guy and his board. Should we get, say, 3 DIs (voice, drums, synth), each sending an output to the sound guy and the other output to my board for effects and sampling (with my board also going out to the sound guy)? With this, we run the risk of sending two of the same signal to the PA, say if the singer is singing and my board is receiving then outputting the same un-effected signal, but I think that can be worked around (using pre-send vs post, maybe). What say you, DIs all around?

(Other small question: is this the correct thread for this?)

crusader_complex fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 16, 2013

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So I've been doing a number of mods to my amp but this is my first time working with a potentiometer. The basic idea is a simple 20k pot, with a resistor, going into a circuit board and this all is to be used to control the lead channel distortion saturation. How do I wire this? The resistor is just to prevent a screeching noise apparently.

mod is the Mesa Boogie one in this link, the pot is described near the bottom of the mod description.

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/Amp+Mods+-+Electronics

Monte Blood Bank
Dec 1, 2005

and we are faceless
you cannot attack us

take the money and then
run
Thanks everyone, got my midi controller to light up today with no issues.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Can someone please figure out the chord progression and bass line on this song from 45sec-52sec? I can't get it and it's driving me bonkers. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/ndoDIv0H_bw?t=45s

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Do you mean the bass line as in the bass line, or are you trying to do an arrangement? Anyway, re the bass line, I can't quite figure out if it's the bass or the piano in bits, but my take is Bb F G# F G# Bb C C#. And with a bit of cheating (http://www.scales-chords.com/chordscalefinder.php) I'd go with (as chords)
code:
Just...  I should...  all alone
A#m7     G#           Fm F#

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

supermikhail posted:

Do you mean the bass line as in the bass line, or are you trying to do an arrangement? Anyway, re the bass line, I can't quite figure out if it's the bass or the piano in bits, but my take is Bb F G# F G# Bb C C#. And with a bit of cheating (http://www.scales-chords.com/chordscalefinder.php) I'd go with (as chords)
code:
Just...  I should...  all alone
A#m7     G#           Fm F#
That's great; thanks for taking the time to do that!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm dealing with a vocal track with quite a lot of bleed from the rest of the band, and I'm wondering what techniques you guys use to fix that kinda stuff. Right now I've got some reverb and delay on the vox but it's bleeding into the mix because I've EQed the vox at around 4.5khz. It's giving the vocals a nice crisp quality but I've got cymbals and guitars and drums coming through quite a bit. I've tried gating but that wasn't very fruitful, some of the parts are bleeding through so much they're almost as loud as the singer's quiet parts.

Also, what kind of vocal distortion stuff do you guys use? I wanna give it a quality like it's just clipping slightly, but in a nice way rather than terrible digital clipping. That kinda sound that hard rock blues kinda dudes use.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Is there any difference between USB-MIDI adapters? I'm curious about messing around with a keyboard and my computer, and realized that I should probably have some way to connect them. It looks like I can spend $4-60+ and I'm not really sure what the differences would be for the different prices.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
I'm inclined to say if you just need midi signals to reach your computer (for ableton, reason, etc) then the interface shouldn't matter much. If you need simultaneous in/out and also audio recording, thats where the interfaces jump up to $200+. I think.

crusader_complex fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 27, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

crusader_complex posted:

I'm inclined to say if you just need midi signals to reach your computer (for ableton, reason, etc) then the interface shouldn't matter much. If you need simultaneous in/out and also audio recording, thats where the interfaces jump up to $200+. I think.

Eh, I bought a cheapie USB-MIDI adapter for $5 off of Amazon, and it seems to have problem sending CC messages or something. Works okay for most applications, but if I use my percussion controller to send variable hi hats, it just fails to pass the messages half of the time. Open hats end up closed and vice versa. Switching the MIDI to my Focusrite fixed the problem utterly, so it was clearly the cheap MIDI interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I recently found a very old recording I made on a dictaphone. It's very hissy and noisy: http://popcorn.gunsha.com/my-cat.MP3

I'd like to clean it up and remove the hiss. I tried using Audacity's noise removal (which grabs a bit of hissy silence and subtracts it from the rest of the song), but it just makes the song sound like it's underwater. Is this just because the hiss is too loud and the recording can't be saved, or is there some better method?