Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I've played it, it's definitely playable, but I had to abandon my last save game because the Knahten Flu hit and I finally understood why Paradox didn't simulate the Black Death- it's no fun to play when all you're doing is changing rulers every 5 seconds and clicking away death messages.

OH it's playable, but its also hilariously unbalanced. Not bothering to, you know, add downsides for adding traits in ruler maker is fantastic! RISE OF THE BOSMER! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rumda posted:

Don't do this, it is always better for lps to resize manually nothing turns people off screen shot lps like having to open each image individually.
I did it for my first post, do you still think so? I can go back and resize everything.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy
Are there any good guides or resources out there for creating a new map from scratch? The most I've found is one not-terribly-informative youtube video and as much as I'd like to give it a shot, it seems there are a lot of details I could overlook.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Kainser posted:

Norse England is one of the cases where the original name fits perfectly well though even if you are a fan of localizing everything to every culture.

Localized title names can be changed and added in \common\landed_titles\landed_titles.txt

e; Kinda related: am I the only one that really dislike the title localization that they added? It really bothers me to not have consistent title names (why would your character start referring to titles by a different name just because the new ruler is of a different culture?), and it doesn't really add to the experience for me at least to have Egypt be renamed Ägypten if ruled by Germans or whatever. I'll probably just end up commenting it all out at some point.

Oh I don't wanna norse'ify the name England, but change it altogether to something that reflects that the country is the center of the Norse world, the home of the Fylkirate and the Ivaring dynasty that rules Western Europe. Thanks for the info though!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

I did it for my first post, do you still think so? I can go back and resize everything.
yeah I still think so even the t-imged images aren't even that large so you don't need to shrink them down too much you may be better off just leaving them as well, Daeren's large images not much smaller than yours are and no one has complained.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Oh I don't wanna norse'ify the name England, but change it altogether to something that reflects that the country is the center of the Norse world, the home of the Fylkirate and the Ivaring dynasty that rules Western Europe. Thanks for the info though!
You'll be better off just making a titular title either a kingdom or maybe an empire if you haven't got one already.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I've actually thought about something similar in the past, can anyone with modding experience tell me how tough it would be to make a decision that lets you rename your primary title once per lifetime for a huge prestige hit, and maybe vassal dissatisfaction? It may not even be possible, but it sure would be cool in vanilla CK2 to not be stuck being Scandinavia/Brittannia for Norse or Hispania or whatever for the rest of the game. Of course titles like the HRE, Roman Empire and Byzantium shouldn't be able to be changed, but otherwise, why not? Just forbid the AI from using it and it'd be a neat addition for those of us that like a more customised/personal experience. Naming an empire after my custom dynasty would be a cool as hell thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trauma Tank posted:

I've actually thought about something similar in the past, can anyone with modding experience tell me how tough it would be to make a decision that lets you rename your primary title once per lifetime for a huge prestige hit, and maybe vassal dissatisfaction? It may not even be possible, but it sure would be cool in vanilla CK2 to not be stuck being Scandinavia/Brittannia for Norse or Hispania or whatever for the rest of the game. Of course titles like the HRE, Roman Empire and Byzantium shouldn't be able to be changed, but otherwise, why not? Just forbid the AI from using it and it'd be a neat addition for those of us that like a more customised/personal experience. Naming an empire after my custom dynasty would be a cool as hell thing.

I don't think you can mod that in, but if you could, why even bother with a prestige hit or anything? You can rename counties/baronies freely if you own them, you ought to just be able to rename anything you own.

I mean, if I've got a republic of England I want to rename to Blingland, why the hell not?

monsteroftheweek
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a reason the same name might be used for multiple children? The duke and duchess of Cordoba have five children, Isabel, Isabel, Galindo, Isabel and Isabel. If it makes a difference, the duchess is slow.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

monsteroftheweek posted:

Is there a reason the same name might be used for multiple children? The duke and duchess of Cordoba have five children, Isabel, Isabel, Galindo, Isabel and Isabel. If it makes a difference, the duchess is slow.

What will her name be?

:downs: Isabel

Your other daughter is Isabel...

:saddowns: NO I WANT ISABEL

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

monsteroftheweek posted:

Sometimes people like to name their kids after relatives, and sometimes that'll compound and narrow the defaults to a just a few 'dynasty names' that constantly get used because it's a kind of selection process shrinks that pool by design.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 16, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I once played a game where I had the most badass female queen ever, who lived to the ripe old age of 92, having reigned since she was six years old. Under her rulership she went from Duchess to Queen to Empress.

After that I started naming all my female children after her. I distinguished elder sister from younger sister simply by adding (2, 3, 4...) to each girl's name. Empress Rikissa-2 II was quite the successful Empress! Rikissa-4 I, taking the throne at the age of 8, lost the empire. :negative:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm swimming in Murchads, Duncans (with varying spellings), and Brians. Medieval families just liked to reuse names I guess.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is there a particular strategy for placing trade posts?

Like, which ones give the most cash? The provinces with the highest tax values?
I got the impression I should try to build chains of them in adjacent sea/trading zones, is that correct and if so, why?
I usually only build on territories I've conquered, but will my raiding affect my trade? Or if I raid nearby counties?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

Sometimes people like to name their kids after relatives, and sometimes that'll compound and narrow the defaults to a just a few 'dynasty names' that constantly get used because it's a kind of selection process shrinks that the pool by design.

THis is why you should always give silly names to your children, in the hope that some day a distant relative of yours becomes King Platypus of France.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

Sometimes people like to name their kids after relatives, and sometimes that'll compound and narrow the defaults to a just a few 'dynasty names' that constantly get used because it's a kind of selection process shrinks that the pool by design.

This is why you should always give silly names to your children, in the hope that some day a distant relative of yours becomes King Platypus of France.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

I got the impression I should try to build chains of them in adjacent sea/trading zones, is that correct and if so, why?
I usually only build on territories I've conquered, but will my raiding affect my trade? Or if I raid nearby counties?

1) Yeah, more holdings in a province will contribute to the TP's potential. Provinces with Cities tend to be more valuable since they contribute the most wealth per holding slot.

2) Chains of TPs will turn their neighboring sea provinces into a Trade Zone, and a TZ inherently boosts the value of all TPs within it. The bonus, IIRC, is somewhat exponential so each new link in the chain would net you greater profits. Also, try to connect your TZ to your capital: that's an easy 20% bonus to trade value, which in turn is converted into profit.

3) Yes, raiding will temporarily penalize TP income in provinces that you raid, and razing a holding will likewise affect the TP.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

OH it's playable, but its also hilariously unbalanced. Not bothering to, you know, add downsides for adding traits in ruler maker is fantastic! RISE OF THE BOSMER! :black101:

Colouring the map in according to my grand plan is a fantastic amount of fun. House Dagoth has conquered all of Tamriel, with the sixth house religion dominating the map. Eight divines and almsivi moral authority has tanked, with a surprising resurgence in the nerevarine cult. Also a worryingly large amount of ysmir cult. He must be out for revenge :tinfoil:

All it's lacking is playable theocracies and red mountain as an inhabited county.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

monsteroftheweek posted:

The duchess of Tuscany in 1066 will autoname literally all her female children Beatrice or Mathilda. Nothing else.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Auto naming can get really absurd if you start with a small dynasty. Had console-made republic of Flanders game where nearly every male dynasty member was named Guy. Really dropped the ball by not starting to name my daughters Gal.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

About half the boys in my dynasty are named Ruarc, after the king of Ireland who won the Invasion of Scotland. I don't know if the autonaming takes an ancestor's achievements/prestige into account when selecting a name or if it's just a cool coincidence, but it's neat either way.

I guess we'll find out if a bunch of kids named Fàelbe start popping up, after Ruarc's son who won the Invasion of England and formed the Irish Empire of Britannia.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks. I guess I can't raid someone and sell them back their stuff at a profit. Well, I suppose ransom counts.

So, I guess I should start with Venice, obviously, but then blob out from there?
I guess I should take some of the minor southern Italian states, although that would put me on a collision course with Italy.

Ireland is my eventual goal because it's all coast and an easy Kingdom for a Norseman to conquer, but what is the best route there?
Wrap around Italy and hit Southern France, to get through Gibraltar? Or skip across Sicily to Tripoli?

Should I do anything about other Merchant Republics? Should I conquer Amalfi ASAP, keep it around as a piñata, what?
What happens to its trading posts if I conquer it?

Is it worth it to pay extra to build posts in counties I don't own?

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to plan an invasion of East Francia, because I can take Zeeland and one Scandinavian Holy site easily enough, but after that I'm stuck.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 16, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

I'm probably not doing this the right way, but I always put a trade post in my capital first, and then in neighboring kingdom/dukedom capitals next. I figure they are going to have the highest province income, which means the highest value for me. I then start putting them anywhere I want to take land, because having a trade post allows you to take the city that trade post is in, which then allows you to take the province that city is in.

I also drop a trade post in Rome and Constantinople if I can afford to, because they are some of the richest provinces in the game, giving me a huge trade income from them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

About half the boys in my dynasty are named Ruarc, after the king of Ireland who won the Invasion of Scotland. I don't know if the autonaming takes an ancestor's achievements/prestige into account when selecting a name or if it's just a cool coincidence, but it's neat either way.
This is a good question - it's really cool to see "Beamed" or "Dongs" a ton after initial kings, but I've always wondered if it's based on their actual achievements.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

...I had the most badass female queen ever...

As opposed to Freddie Mercury? :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

So, I guess I should start with Venice, obviously, but then blob out from there?
I guess I should take some of the minor southern Italian states, although that would put me on a collision course with Italy.

Ireland is my eventual goal because it's all coast and an easy Kingdom for a Norseman to conquer, but what is the best route there?
Wrap around Italy and hit Southern France, to get through Gibraltar? Or skip across Sicily to Tripoli?

Should I do anything about other Merchant Republics? Should I conquer Amalfi ASAP, keep it around as a piñata, what?
What happens to its trading posts if I conquer it?

Is it worth it to pay extra to build posts in counties I don't own?

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to plan an invasion of East Francia, because I can take Zeeland and one Scandinavian Holy site easily enough, but after that I'm stuck.

Honestly, taking Venice for your own will definitely be a tough move since you'll be de jure part of Byzantium and susceptible to an Italian holy war (I'm pretty sure Venice close enough for it).

Anyway, for your Merchant Republic questions:

1) Other MRs can declare embargo wars on you, which means they pay a dude whose lands have TPs from your Republic to burn down your poo poo. It can be annoying, but I typically base my family's TPs in whatever land I manage to conquer so I can take advantage of the cheap TP construction rates. If you get embargoed but the TPs in question are another Patrician's, you can always surrender immediately since you personally don't lose anything.

2) Generally Amalfi falls to Byzantium in my games, but sometimes they do get a foothold in Sicily. Still can't beat the purple blob though. Anyway, if a MR gets conquered, everything dissolves. Could be a decent pinata, but probably won't last long.

3) If you can trust the owner of the land and there are no nearby MRs that might contest you, sure. The main reason I build TPs in foreign counties is because you can get a CB to take a local city, and then the county itself though. Consider it an investment that you can cash in on if the owner suddenly has a civil war on his hands or whatever.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
After something like 100 years of non-stop warring and bickering, there's finally been peace in the Kingdom of Sweden long enough that I could change from Gavelkind to Elective.
Every war seems to have taken 5-10 years to resolve, partly because everyone's at war so often their levies never reinforce enough that they can successfully siege anything.

Thank gently caress for that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

tombom posted:

Does anyone have experience trying to put Project Balance/SWMH/VIET together? I tried but I ended up with a bunch of noculture provinces - it might have just been an SWMH bug or something but I really wish there was a pack that put them all together, it's ridiculous downloading 5-6 different mods and then enabling everything and trying to get them to work.

Unless something changed in the last couple days, VIET isn't compatable with PB/SWMH yet. It is with just PB, though (keep in mind I just use VIET Vanilla, so take this all with a grain of salt).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone know how Turkish Succession (Muslim Open) is calculated? It says that the most powerful son will inherit, but for some reason my younger Duke son with 2 provinces is listed as inheriting over the older Duke son with 4 provinces.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

This is what I was talking about not only is it a pain to read but the images are so big that opening them up full size destroys the tables and opening them to fit means they are illegible.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

SeaTard posted:

Anyone know how Turkish Succession (Muslim Open) is calculated? It says that the most powerful son will inherit, but for some reason my younger Duke son with 2 provinces is listed as inheriting over the older Duke son with 4 provinces.

I *think* it's based on number of holdings within their realm, so that, for instance, Sinai is worth less than Cairo despite having 2 provinces more. I could very well be wrong though; it doesn't seem to be very well documented...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm a bit confused about my finances at the moment and I'm not sure if I'm being thick or if there's a genuine bug.

I'm hemorrhaging >13g per month at the moment and have been for a while. I assumed it was because I was at war, but I've been at peace for a couple of months and it's still going on.
Checking the ledger shows that my tax income from my demesne (just the baronies) should be more than 55g monthly, but the UI shows an income of less than 13g. :confused:

I topped up my coffers recently by sacking Constantinople, Venice & Rome, but that's more of a hotfix than lasting solution.
Any ideas?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kingturnip posted:

I'm a bit confused about my finances at the moment and I'm not sure if I'm being thick or if there's a genuine bug.

I'm hemorrhaging >13g per month at the moment and have been for a while. I assumed it was because I was at war, but I've been at peace for a couple of months and it's still going on.
Checking the ledger shows that my tax income from my demesne (just the baronies) should be more than 55g monthly, but the UI shows an income of less than 13g. :confused:

I topped up my coffers recently by sacking Constantinople, Venice & Rome, but that's more of a hotfix than lasting solution.
Any ideas?

whats your army upkeep? any mercs? do you have boats raised? dismiss every thing then wait a month or so.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Any ideas?

Are your levies raised? Are you reinforcing retinues?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Rumda posted:

whats your army upkeep? any mercs? do you have boats raised? dismiss every thing then wait a month or so.

No levies raised, boats are costing me a little over 2g, retinue is more (~20g), but it's the discrepancy between what I should be earning and what the game thinks I'm earning that's confusing me.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Hover over your gold and it should breakdown total income/expenses.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Rumda posted:

This is what I was talking about not only is it a pain to read but the images are so big that opening them up full size destroys the tables and opening them to fit means they are illegible.

Alright, I have to go to class pretty quickly but after I get back I'll go into resizing those. I didn't realize how much of a problem that caused.

Edit: Do people typically crop images for LPs or change the resolution? And what would be a good size if it's the second one?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

kingturnip posted:

No levies raised, boats are costing me a little over 2g, retinue is more (~20g), but it's the discrepancy between what I should be earning and what the game thinks I'm earning that's confusing me.

I've seen that a few times, but usually it's the other way around, giving me poo poo piles of money for no apparent reason. Sometimes it seems like boats are the issue when your expenses are suddenly putting you far into the red, I had a Norse Pagan game where my 12 boats were costing me 63 gold a month.

Dismiss everything, set your retinues to non-reinforcing, and then see if it settles down to normal in a month or two.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

kingturnip posted:

Retinues only cost upkeep when they're reinforcing. Are they sat in a province where they're taking attritional damage when getting close to fully reinforced and causing a nasty loop?

e: Also, instead of checking in the ledger, click on your flag icon just below your portrait in the top left -- the same page where you change your primary title, etc. It tells you the total income and expenses of your realm, but yearly not monthly. What are the numbers there?

Allyn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 16, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

SpaceViking posted:

Alright, I have to go to class pretty quickly but after I get back I'll go into resizing those. I didn't realize how much of a problem that caused.

Edit: Do people typically crop images for LPs or change the resolution? And what would be a good size if it's the second one?

Definitely crop if you can. Most of the time you don't really need to show off the entire interface, so crop down to what the focus of your text for that section is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
I have a spare copy of CK II if anyone's interested in trading it on steam for something else. There are a few games on sale today that I wouldn't mind getting. (I got the spare CK II b/c a friend said he was interested... then he backed out. welp.)

• Locked thread