Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

Someone mentioned the Scots and Welsh as being red-haired which reminded me of this. Does anyone know who that is out in Russia? I thought maybe it was the Tatars but my girlfriend (who is from Yekaterinburg) doesn't think so.

The Kayble Berber Tribe in Algeria also has an abnormally high Red-Head population. But seeing that map reminds me to ask if there is a source to verify if that EUpedia is a racist front zone. It's got some odd genetic stuff in it but it is purportedly just a travel site about Europe. Along with http://www.thegeneticatlas.com/ I've seen them cited on Stormfront.

Edit: Really light hair color isn't as exclusively European as those maps produced at EUpedia shows. Lots of Iranian and Turk tribes have light hair.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

I really like this map, just from a visual standpoint. It's a representation of shipping line density.

You'll love satellite pictures of Ship Track clouds then:

click for full size.

This is off the coast of Europe in the Atlantic, That's Spain on the bottom border, France on the right. The amount of shipping along these ship lanes means that there are tons of tiny exhaust particles along certain lines which tend to act as cloud seeds.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

The Kayble Berber Tribe in Algeria also has an abnormally high Red-Head population. But seeing that map reminds me to ask if there is a source to verify if that EUpedia is a racist front zone. It's got some odd genetic stuff in it but it is purportedly just a travel site about Europe. Along with http://www.thegeneticatlas.com/ I've seen them cited on Stormfront.
I did a bit of googling, and the guy who runs EUpedia seems to pretty much just be a guy who enjoys travelling and has kinda nerdy interests like linguistics, history, archaelogy, and the like.

And I think the maps are exclusively European because the site is designed to explore topics primarily or exclusively relating to Europe.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

The movie was written by Michael Moore.

I've been an ex-pat for 3 years and I honestly don't think I've ever been asked if I know Bob from City, State yes. I did recently start teaching English so maybe it'll start.

Someone mentioned the Scots and Welsh as being red-haired which reminded me of this. Does anyone know who that is out in Russia? I thought maybe it was the Tatars but my girlfriend (who is from Yekaterinburg) doesn't think so.

The Tartars settled in the Eastern part of the Polish Crown in exchange for military service, so when you think Tartars think Western Belarus and Western Ukraine. It's very interesting to visit Muslim graveyards 400-500 years old and traditional yurts in areas we think are homogeneously Christian. From anecdotal experience, the Tartars have black/brown hair.

The red-hair map seems inaccurate and based on the premise that populations have not shifted significantly in recent years (last two centuries). Lots of Ukrainians have red and blonde hair. Population shifts in Slavic territories (first from the Czar and then from Soviet policies) render any kind of racial/hair-color map useless for that area.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lonelywurm posted:

I did a bit of googling, and the guy who runs EUpedia seems to pretty much just be a guy who enjoys travelling and has kinda nerdy interests like linguistics, history, archaelogy, and the like.

And I think the maps are exclusively European because the site is designed to explore topics primarily or exclusively relating to Europe.

It's nice that somebody can make interesting maps about this kind of thing and not be a creepy racist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

The Tartars settled in the Eastern part of the Polish Crown in exchange for military service, so when you think Tartars think Western Belarus and Western Ukraine.

What are you talking about? There were certainly some settled thusly, but the vast majority of Tatars that still identify as such are in Russia, mostly east of the Volga.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

What are you talking about? There were certainly some settled thusly, but the vast majority of Tatars that still identify as such are in Russia, mostly east of the Volga.

My mistake. I was referring to the Lipka Tatars. I did not realize there were other tribes such as the Volga Tatars and Siberian Tatars until your post.

wikipedia posted:

From the 13th to 17th centuries various groups of Tatars settled and/or found refuge within the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. This was promoted especially by the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, because of their reputation as skilled warriors. The Tatar settlers were all granted szlachta (nobility) status, a tradition that was preserved until the end of the Commonwealth in the 18th century. They included the Lipka Tatars (13th–14th centuries) as well as Crimean and Nogay Tatars (15th–16th centuries), all of which were notable in Polish military history, as well as Volga Tatars (16th–17th centuries). They all mostly settled in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, lands that are now in Lithuania and Belarus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, fair enough then.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Riso posted:

Thank god I am Austrian, and not Australian. I tell you, they are the worst country in Europe.

The absolute best part of that map is New Zealand being a major city of Australia. That, and Erinsborough, of course.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Would you rather prevent the Holocaust or 9/11, about as politically loaded as a map can get...

http://www.rrrather.com/view/2701

I found this on reddit if that matters

edit: for timg

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

texaholic posted:

Would you rather prevent the Holocaust or 9/11, about as politically loaded as a map can get...

That certainly is loaded. But the legend is so terribly worded I don't know whether to be horrified or not. Still pretty sure I should be; if more than 10% of people chose to prevent 9/11, the world is broken.

Oh, it's some internet poll. Still horrifying, but at least it's not actually representative of anything.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

That certainly is loaded. But the legend is so terribly worded I don't know whether to be horrified or not. Still pretty sure I should be; if more than 10% of people chose to prevent 9/11, the world is broken.

Oh, it's some internet poll. Still horrifying, but at least it's not actually representative of anything.

I bet some of the Middle Eastern responders chose their answer because 9/11 hurt them personally: brought a new wave of violence and to the region, and made global opinion on Muslims more hateful, so it was more significant for them than a genocide committed on another continent by people of another generation. Or maybe I'm just optimistic.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

texaholic posted:

So does that legend mean that no country sampled had less than 6% say 9/11?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

texaholic posted:

What the hell, Jamaica?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That poll should have also asked how many people the responder thinks died in each event.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

texaholic posted:

Given the one of the options is "Less than 30 people answered" I'm inclined to think the other options are all based on sample sizes of 30...

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

withak posted:

That poll should have also asked how many people the responder thinks died in each event.

Guest from Texas, United States posted:

The holocaust killed i think twice as much as 9-11

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Given the one of the options is "Less than 30 people answered" I'm inclined to think the other options are all based on sample sizes of 30...

Isn't 30 just the rule of thumb for sample sizes to be statistically significant though?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Isn't 30 just the rule of thumb for sample sizes to be statistically significant though?

Shouldn't it be like 300 or 3000 or something?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

guest from Virginia, United States posted:

911 but if it changed my life how it is today then none of them

I can't... even... :negative:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

guest from Pennsylvania posted:

Although 9-11 was a tragedy, it made our country join together and become smarter on the country's security.

This was a joke, I hope. :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I bet some of the Middle Eastern responders chose their answer because 9/11 hurt them personally: brought a new wave of violence and to the region, and made global opinion on Muslims more hateful, so it was more significant for them than a genocide committed on another continent by people of another generation. Or maybe I'm just optimistic.

Yeah, I assumed that's why the Arab countries swung that way. I am surprised at the level of solidarity though; places like Egypt I would think would have been rather removed from any of the American flailing in the time since 9/11.

If Iran had been included there might be some possibility of a crazy holocaust denying element, but most Iranian folks do actually seem quite a bit more grounded than the public face of their government. Pakistan I would totally understand, since the politics around Afghanistan and the Taliban have messed their country up something fierce. No idea what Jamaica is on about.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Shouldn't it be like 300 or 3000 or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88joCUVTkyM

A Minimum of 30 qualifies as a "Large Sample". But more is not necessarily bad and generally I think you're supposed to calculate your own minimum with a formula. I have no idea if they did the survey right or not, but I would guess that's why they chose 30 for their legend cut off.

Then again, I'm only remembering this from Statistics 1.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 16, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88joCUVTkyM

A Minimum of 30 qualifies as a "Large Sample". But more is not necessarily bad.

Then again, I'm only remembering this from Statistics 1.

I didn't watch that entirely but I don't think it applies to opinion polls, because of reasons.

e: The margin of error for Jamaica for instance would (if this were a truly random poll) be somewhere around 12% here, making the result absolutely inconclusive.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 16, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've been an ex-pat for 3 years and I honestly don't think I've ever been asked if I know Bob from City, State yes. I did recently start teaching English so maybe it'll start.

I'm guessing that splinter populations like Breton nationalists are going to be more aware of how those kinds of questions come off. They are also likely less cosmopolitan than more "mainstream" components of the population.

A parallel from my time in Germany, it was very rare for a Turk to ask me if I knew so-and-so from such-a-place in America. No doubt because they got the same "all Turks know each other" treatment and they came from poorer backgrounds so they were less able to have met other Americans. Even the better off ones tended to head back to Turkey rather than the US or some other tourist mecca where they could have encountered American tourists.

I'm guessing all of those apply to Bretons in France.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I was asked if I knew George Bush when I went to Germany with my High School Choir. But I live in Bryan/College Station, home of the George Bush Presidential Library, and they didn't specify which Bush. So I answered yes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I assumed that's why the Arab countries swung that way. I am surprised at the level of solidarity though; places like Egypt I would think would have been rather removed from any of the American flailing in the time since 9/11.
I'm sure the chaos 9/11 brought is part of it, but come on, for the Levantine countries and Egypt, anti-Israeli sentiment has got to be the bigger factor.

HookShot posted:

I can't... even... :negative:
Well that guy said it like a complete dick, but the sentiment is reasonable. When people talk about saving the world I have to wonder if they consider the ramifications.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think Israel and Egypt actually get on reasonably well these days. So I kind of doubt that's it. Although it could certainly be the spergiest anti-semites who found their way to this poll.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PittTheElder posted:

I think Israel and Egypt actually get on reasonably well these days. So I kind of doubt that's it. Although it could certainly be the spergiest anti-semites who found their way to this poll.

Just because a government gets on fine, does not mean the people do.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Koramei posted:

I'm sure the chaos 9/11 brought is part of it, but come on, for the Levantine countries and Egypt, anti-Israeli sentiment has got to be the bigger factor.

Well that guy said it like a complete dick, but the sentiment is reasonable. When people talk about saving the world I have to wonder if they consider the ramifications.
Is that orange block in Malaysia due to antisemitism, too? :iiam:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Malaysian and Indonesian Muslims tend to be pretty ashamed of their Middle Eastern counterparts when they're talking to westerners. You get people in hijabs getting run off the street and stuff.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
what is the deal wiht the one hindu island

edit: isnt Vietnam mostly catholic?

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 16, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trench_Rat posted:

what is the deal wiht the one hindu island

Indonesia has historically been under India's sphere of cultural influence. Most of the areas currently Muslim were once Hindu, before Buddhism and then Islam arrived from India to supplant it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah wiki doesn't go doesn't go into much of an explanation. Says that due to "cultural barriers" Bali kept hindu while the rest changed religions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A map I found from here when looking at minority-majority states:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trench_Rat posted:

edit: isnt Vietnam mostly catholic?

Not even close. It's like 7% Christian, probably nearly all of those are Catholic.

That's a big part of the reason why the Vietnam War went the way it did. Ngo Dinh Diem, the President of South Vietnam, was a Roman Catholic, and insisted on only promoting Catholics, and removing Buddhist flags from everything, and also lots and lots of nepotism and corruption in general. The U.S. were more than willing to back him anyway, since at least he wasn't a communist, but their support of a guy who was doing everything he could to piss off the peasantry didn't exactly endear the U.S. to the population of South Vietnam.

Diem actually wound up being assassinated pretty early into the war and replaced with a military junta, but that was lead by a guy equally corrupt, and who was believed to have converted to Catholicism for political advancement.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Indonesia has historically been under India's sphere of cultural influence. Most of the areas currently Muslim were once Hindu, before Buddhism and then Islam arrived from India to supplant it.

eeeh religion is complex and syncretic across South-East Asia. Even in Muslim Java you find local witches sacrificing to volcano gods. In Bali it's more accurate to say Buddhism merged with Hinduism rather than supplanted it, the two religions might have arrived simultaneously and been mixed up from the beginning, and their primary deity is sort of a Shiva-Buddha.

Back on the subject of politically loaded maps, here's one of the Hindu Indonesian Majapahit Empire in the 14th century

As the largest Indonesian state prior to western colonialism the Majapahit Empire has been used to promote Indonesian nationalism. It's actual borders are highly contested by researchers but have been used to justify conflicts in Timor and western New Guinea. I've read about some weird side effects of promoting the Majapahit Empire as an Indonesian golden age, apparently there have been some mass conversions to Hinduism near excavated or restored Majapahit temples. Like people were trying to restore what is perceived as a lost heritage.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

What is it about Java that makes it the most populated of the Indonesian Islands? Is it less mountainous or less jungled?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

What is it about Java that makes it the most populated of the Indonesian Islands? Is it less mountainous or less jungled?

It's always crazy to me that Java has 1.2 times the population of Japan in a third of the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PrinceRandom posted:

Rice + one of the most fertile soils in the world due to volcanic activity. It was also always the center of the region which also drew more people to it.