Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Perry also has perhaps the best case of anyone in the potential 2016 field as "the next guy in line," and the Republicans do tend to give that person tremendous institutional advantages.

But, like, he's still Rick Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Was there any indication that they got the drug cocktail tweaked right for campaigning near the end? I've forgotten.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Man. I looked up why Perry was on meds and it was for back surgery that used stem cells. Have evangelicals dropped their opposition to them or is he a massive hypocrite?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Man. I looked up why Perry was on meds and it was for back surgery that used stem cells. Have evangelicals dropped their opposition to them or is he a massive hypocrite?

It was adult, not embryonic, stem cells they used (Perry's own, from what I read), so they can use that dodge. Failing that, "The only moral X is my X."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Perry also has perhaps the best case of anyone in the potential 2016 field as "the next guy in line," and the Republicans do tend to give that person tremendous institutional advantages.

But, like, he's still Rick Perry.

Why would "next guy in line" be Perry and not Rick Santorum who lasted out the race until the bitter end?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Zwabu posted:

Why would "next guy in line" be Perry and not Rick Santorum who lasted out the race until the bitter end?

Same reason it wasn't Huckabee, Pat Buchanan, etc. in previous cycles: the gadflyish religious right candidate very often hangs in until the bitter end, but never has a real chance at the nomination.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

You could make the argument that the way Perry projects his political persona (whew), he comes perilously close to coming across as just as much of a whacko Puritan as Santorum.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zwabu posted:

You could make the argument that the way Perry projects his political persona (whew), he comes perilously close to coming across as just as much of a whacko Puritan as Santorum.

Sure, but with Perry it's more obvious that he's an empty suit just playing to evangelical crazies, whereas Santorum's got the glassy-eyed thousand yard stare of a true believer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Perry has no real way to build the bridge necessary to attract Republicans in other regions outside of the South. He's toxic in the South-west (I personally feel arch-cons around here want a more competent hardliner) and that pretty much sinks him as viable. You can blow him up as Republican boogeyman if you want, he's not leaving the armpit that is Tejas.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Perry has no real way to build the bridge necessary to attract Republicans in other regions outside of the South. He's toxic in the South-west (I personally feel arch-cons around here want a more competent hardliner) and that pretty much sinks him as viable. You can blow him up as Republican boogeyman if you want, he's not leaving the armpit that is Tejas.

I don't think anybody fears Rick Perry at this point.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't think anybody fears Rick Perry at this point.

Texas Democrats do HAH!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Perry running would be bad news for Cruz because it would split a large number of their natural donors.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Joementum posted:

Perry running would be bad news for Cruz because it would split a large number of their natural donors.

Is Cruz really running this soon after being elected? Of course, I know Obama did it and won but I don't think most put on a serious bid for Presidency just four years into their Senate career. Has Cruz made any substantial indication he's gunning for 2016?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
About the same as the rest of the field: speaking events in Iowa and South Carolina, hiring additional staff. Oh, and he challenged Joe Biden to a debate.

It's impossible to say this early how serious any candidate is about a run, but he's definitely testing the waters.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is Cruz really running this soon after being elected? Of course, I know Obama did it and won but I don't think most put on a serious bid for Presidency just four years into their Senate career. Has Cruz made any substantial indication he's gunning for 2016?

I think a lot of these suspicions stem from pessimism. If we ask ourselves who the worst people are on the GOP bench, Ted Cruz is not too far down the list. Ergo, because this world is lovely and run by stupid egomaniacs, Cruz is likely to run.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

mdemone posted:

I think a lot of these suspicions stem from pessimism. If we ask ourselves who the worst people are on the GOP bench, Ted Cruz is not too far down the list. Ergo, because this world is lovely and run by stupid egomaniacs, Cruz is likely to run.

Plus his ego means you can't apply any of the usual rules. "A sensible politician wouldn't do thi- oh". Sure most people realise Obama going from Senate to White House so rapidly is unique thing but Cruz and his ilk will just think if Obama could do it I can do it with both hands tied behind my back.

I mean drat we live in a world where the media pretended Herman Cain was a serious candidate. Cruz has at least held office.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've been seeing commercials (in Omaha, Nebraska) with Ted Cruz imploring me, with his allergic-reaction-to-shellfish face, to sign his petition to abolish the loving IRS.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I actually think it would be better for Cruz to run in 2016 than to wait because he truly is horrible and its hard to tell if being horrible even by GOP standards will still be politically viable in 2020. He's riding the wave of Obama hate and it won't be there after 2016.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't imagine the doomsday scenario where Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, or Rick Santorum are electable. Generic Republican has a better chance.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I can't imagine the doomsday scenario where Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, or Rick Santorum are electable. Generic Republican has a better chance.

In a sense we should probably be thankful for all the insanity: if someone like McCain or Romney had been nominated without primaries and were able to simply run a campaign as their pre-campaign "RINO" selves, they'd probably have had much better chances at winning. And while I don't think Hunstman for example really would have fared all too well in a general election, he was certainly a lot more "electable" than pretty much everyone else who was better at playing Crazy Kooky Primary Challenge than he was.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

jeffersonlives posted:

Same reason it wasn't Huckabee, Pat Buchanan, etc. in previous cycles: the gadflyish religious right candidate very often hangs in until the bitter end, but never has a real chance at the nomination.

Besides unlike Huckabee or Buchanan, Santorum actually won lots of states, and got lots of delegates, and had a reasonable (if distant) chance of getting the nomination up to Super Tuesday. In short, Santorum in 2012 was in the same position that Romney was in in 2008. Perry, on the other hand, Didn't get into the top three in even one state, and dropped out after the second contest.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Besides unlike Huckabee or Buchanan, Santorum actually won lots of states, and got lots of delegates, and had a reasonable (if distant) chance of getting the nomination up to Super Tuesday. In short, Santorum in 2012 was in the same position that Romney was in in 2008. Perry, on the other hand, Didn't get into the top three in even one state, and dropped out after the second contest.

I think the problem with Santorum is he doesn't "feel" like he was planning to be next-in-line. He ran to the bitter end or pretty close, took his sweet time in endorsing Romney. But contrast that to Romney's next-in-line candidacy in 2008 , where he dropped out after his CPAC speech and immediately endorsed McCain.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

That is one of my favourite Taibbi pieces ever :allears:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

Santorum 2012 won less delegates than Huckabee 2008 and about the same as Buchanan 1996. Neither Santorum, Gingrich, nor Paul presented any real threat to Romney past the outside chance of a contested convention after Iowa and New Hampshire; there was a greater risk that Mystery Candidate would jump in and beat Romney than any of those guys doing it.

The last credible threat to Romney was Perry, even though that threat ended a month or two before the voting began.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I wonder if running against Perry will turn the Perry machine against Cruz.

If only. Oh, if only.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Here's a pretty awesome Joe Biden profile that also makes it very, very clear that he's planning to run. Whole thing is worth reading, but here's the pull quote:

Joe Biden posted:

The judgment I'll make is, first of all, am I still as full of as much energy as I have now—do I feel this? Number two, do I think I'm the best person in the position to move the ball? And, you know, we'll see where the hell I am.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And Nancy Pelosi gave an interview today in which she said one of the reasons she's supporting Hillary is because she's "run before". Joe just can't catch a break!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Peter King (the blowhard NY Congressman, not the Sports Illustrated writer) has confirmed speculation that he is considering running for president.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

jeffersonlives posted:

Peter King (the blowhard NY Congressman, not the Sports Illustrated writer) has confirmed speculation that he is considering running for president.

His entire constituency is racist Irish guys from the North East. This is surely a path to victory.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jeffersonlives posted:

Shortest campaign ever, outside the few Irish dudes who still vote based on "WELL THANK GOD HE'S NOT A GODDAMN BLACK OR ENGLISH" he's either a nobody or 'that idiot who keeps making GBS threads on Muslims and making us look stupid'.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

He'll make Rudy Giuliani's 2008 campaign look well-run and coherent.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Peter King's 2016 presidential campaign should have every bit the amount of influence and relevance as Duncan Hunter's 2008 run.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Peter King's 2016 presidential campaign should have every bit the amount of influence and relevance as Duncan Hunter's 2008 run.

I was thinking more Thaddeus McCotter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He's gonna stay in long enough for the first debate, pimp whatever thing he's doing now (I wanna say he's got a book?) and then nope on out when people go 'wait aren't you the guy who's only famous for treating every Muslim like a terrorist while proudly supporting the IRA?'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I prefer Biden to Hillary but I think the media has done such a great job painting him as a clown that he's probably not going to win...

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

I was thinking more Thaddeus McCotter.

I disagree. McCotter's name is much less similar to McCain's than Peter King, terrible NY congressman's is to Peter King, terrible SI writer's. Count on him to receive at least several thousand votes off that alone.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Rick Perry, Peter King, John Bolton, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz, Newt Gingrich, Rand Paul, how could this possibly be better?

Is there a single electable Republican in the group of theoretical primary candidates?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Rick Perry, Peter King, John Bolton, Rick Santorum, Ted Cruz, Newt Gingrich, Rand Paul, how could this possibly be better?

Is there a single electable Republican in the group of theoretical primary candidates?

Perry is theoretically electable if you think his first performance was all pain meds and, yes, there exists a universe in which Rand Paul could actually win (although that's possibly also the universe where Europe completely snaps and literally elects five neo-Hitlers so we probably shouldn't really care about that one because we'll all be dead.)

But the big name you didn't name is Christie, who is more dangerous than all of them combined.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Shortest campaign ever, outside the few Irish dudes who still vote based on "WELL THANK GOD HE'S NOT A GODDAMN BLACK OR ENGLISH" he's either a nobody or 'that idiot who keeps making GBS threads on Muslims and making us look stupid'.

Or 'the terrorist hunter who supported the IRA'...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

I know Rand is there, but I'm not sure he can provide exactly the same levels of political comedy as his father did, nor do I think his followers are as raving a pack of loonies as the original Paulsheviks. He'll need to ramp up the crazy pretty hard if he wants a chance to run with the big dogs.

I agree with Adar that, at early stage, Christie's the closest thing they've got to a plausibly electable candidate, with Perry running a distant second.

• Locked thread