Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The Rat posted:

Breed ID question, what are these? I took this picture last year in Helmand province before I got bit with the chicken bug, so I didn't think to take more pictures.

They look like Asils (Aseel) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Asil/BRKAsil.html

Your basic model chicken. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They look like Asils (Aseel) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Asil/BRKAsil.html

Your basic model chicken. :keke:

Aren't Asils like fresh from the jungle cock fighting chickens?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Aren't Asils like fresh from the jungle cock fighting chickens?

Yes, very much so. Like I said, your 'Basic Model' chickens. Think of them as protochickens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Rat posted:

Finally got all my cocks crowing on video.

Pilot has such a fancy crown!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pilot's head poof is fantastic, but Tetrazzini has the best crow of all! He sounds more like a tropical bird than a chicken. I wonder if his crowing didn't change if he could pass as a bird other than a rooster (for someone who isn't supposed to have a rooster in their yard). ;)

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
More than likely those are just mutt chickens.

I have one muscovy sitting on about 20 eggs. The other ones just keep laying them next to her, and I figured why not let her sit for a while. I don't think they've realized they're all girls.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

unprofessional posted:

I have one muscovy sitting on about 20 eggs. The other ones just keep laying them next to her, and I figured why not let her sit for a while. I don't think they've realized they're all girls.

This is hilarious! So, you don't gather and consume the duck eggs? I have been told that duck eggs are wonderful in baked goods.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I've eaten quite a few, but when she started setting, I figured I'd just let it go. She made her nest on top of a bunch of round bales. It's pretty cute.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I've eaten quite a few, but when she started setting, I figured I'd just let it go. She made her nest on top of a bunch of round bales. It's pretty cute.

Let's see some photos! We need some duck cuteness in this thread. :)

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I hatched a batch of quail yesterday.

The first few out were goldens.

Hatching is hard work! Babby quail must rest before fluffing up to maximum cuteness.

Babbies are wine cork sized as shown by the drownproofing material I had on hand.

They sleep in piles. I got a lot of Goldens this go around.

Oblivious parents live outside and are due for a round of culling. Some are super cute.

Dark Tuxedo

Texas A&M male

Golden male

Tuxedo male crowing beside another tux and normals

My favorite hen who bounces, binkies, warbles, and watches me whenever I am around. She carries the white gene but you can only see it by a splash of white on one shoulder.

Also have some cuddling Dorkings owned by my farm partner. They were in a pen with a bunch of heritage Rhode Island Reds but clearly they are breedist.

We also have these fine Coronation Sussex. The brown hen is a speckled Sussex we are crossing him with as well. He is enormous.

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 14, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man. I've had quail eggs, and I cant even imagine a tiny tiny bird popping out of one, aaaaa, that's too insanely cute!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Oh dear lord, my husband must never know that we could hatch quail. We have wild ones around, and I always enjoy watching them cross the road in their little conga lines, with their dealy-boppers waggling about as they run.

I think we'll finish the coop by next weekend - my dad and husband are out doing man stuff (buying lumber, probably getting ice cream also) today to finish the walls and hopefully the roof. I hope we can do most of the hard stuff today, as it looks like it's getting a lot hotter here by Tuesday.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cute pics. My husband was laughing at the golden male in the soda bottle, until I explained how soda bottles are useful as killing cones for smaller birds... :keke:

Also, the pic showing the crowing male making his silly face--the hen in the foreground looks embarassed.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Pardalis posted:

I hatched a batch of quail yesterday.

My favorite hen who bounces, binkies, warbles, and watches me whenever I am around. She carries the white gene but you can only see it by a splash of white on one shoulder.

Also have some cuddling Dorkings owned by my farm partner. They were in a pen with a bunch of heritage Rhode Island Reds but clearly they are breedist.

We also have these fine Coronation Sussex. The brown hen is a speckled Sussex we are crossing him with as well. He is enormous.

Spe

Is there a taste difference between the different quail? It would be interesting to see a cross between the Coronation and Speckled Sussex.

Will you keep the hen that bounces and binkies for you?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I love my chickens, that they eat practically everything from cantaloupe seeds to weeds from my garden, and all that seems to make their eggs taste better, but if the city ever caught up to me and said I couldn't do it, it seems like quail would be a great way to go.

I'm also curious what quail eggs taste like.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ones I've had were sweeter and lighter than chicken eggs, and theres more yolk to white. Yolks are paler, but that may just be the local diet.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Lynza, I live in Portland so if you ever want quail eggs or chicks, PM me!

Velvet, he was in the bottle because he is a spaz and would not hold still for photos. I think he is the one that was feral for a week but got caught again and has been skittish ever since. Probably going to be a cull.

Pisces, there are genetic differences in the different breeds of coturnix but it comes down to breeds of dog, basically. I mix mine right now and breed for size and fast growth. Fancy colors are a bonus. I don't think there is a taste difference though the white ones have lighter colored meat. The binkying hen has been in my flock for over a year now and probably will die of old age in my pen.

Quail eggs are more yolk and richer than chicken eggs but taste very similar. They are high in iron and B vitamins and pretty good for you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I feel like buying quail eggs when my girls go broody and just letting them begin infesting the neighborhood.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Then I sincerely hope you enjoy this noise. RATTLE RATTLE, RATTLE RATTLE

They also make soft cricket chirping noises. They're weird and hilarious.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

If you do want quail running around, try bobwhites or whatever quail species is native to your area and legal to keep. The coturnix are stupidly domesticated and won't make it more than a few days out there :downs:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pardalis posted:

If you do want quail running around, try bobwhites or whatever quail species is native to your area and legal to keep. The coturnix are stupidly domesticated and won't make it more than a few days out there :downs:

Bobwhites are native to my region of Texas. It's probably illegal to let the free range but whatever.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Bobwhites are native to my region of Texas. It's probably illegal to let the free range but whatever.

Ooops! They got out! I didn't mean for it to happen! ;)

Of course, you could just deny all knowledge of bobwhites running around loose! You can find bobwhites in the rural areas in the part of Texas that I'm in too (Houston area). They're adorable!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pic of beautiful Texas bobwhites!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Oh wow, they're lovely!

Pardalis - curse you, but yeah, I bet we'd be totally into getting some quail next year. Are they pretty similar in terms of housing as chickens?

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Their care is pretty similar but you want to keep them in really secure enclosures made of hardware cloth. They are extremely prone to predation, even from rats, and are generally not brilliant birds but otherwise are fantastic. My farming partner and I happen to make quail tractors and runs but I know you and your husband are handy; I bet you could build something for less than we would charge.

You want to provide a high protein crumble and a dust bath but otherwise they are easy peasy. They don't perch or roost.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We have tons of wild Valley Quail (California Quail) running around up here, I've always wanted some. Love birds with silly doodads on their heads. :)

Like Boo, here (You've maybe seen pics of Boo posted in TFR by his Goon daddy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-rr21ySe4

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Holy crap, hope they are OK.

And I always clip BOTH wings, quite short the first time my chicks (or any new chicken to my flock) go out into the yard. Some require a second wing clip once they molt & grow new feathers, but most of them by then have gotten to know where they live and that where they live is the BEST place to live for them, or have gotten to be big non-flying fatasses.
As a kid I personally have seen some humungously fat hens and fryers clear an 8 foot fence with two clipped wings. My family swears by lopsided clips so they can't get any usable lift.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

coyo7e posted:

As a kid I personally have seen some humungously fat hens and fryers clear an 8 foot fence with two clipped wings. My family swears by lopsided clips so they can't get any usable lift.

Possibly they weren't clipped enough, then. Here's how I've always done mine--this page discusses the 'whys and hows' of the right way and wrong way to clip wings: http://birdmart.com/wings.html

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Possibly they weren't clipped enough, then. Here's how I've always done mine--this page discusses the 'whys and hows' of the right way and wrong way to clip wings: http://birdmart.com/wings.html

My girls have gotten to coming out of the run and immediately trying to get airborne. They dont go anywhere but they zoom to the garden and begin to feast. I think its clipping time.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Begone, vile human.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

unprofessional posted:

Begone, vile human.

That duck ghost is melting into the straw!! RUN AWAY!!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Begone, vile human.

That photo just made me laugh and laugh! :D

Especially since we know she's just wasting her time. Nature is so cruel.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
This shot cracks me up, especially when you notice what's in the middle at the top.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
THE GHOST DUCK!!!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

unprofessional posted:

This shot cracks me up, especially when you notice what's in the middle at the top.

I don't get it :saddowns:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:

LOL! I actually took this image into Photoshop and lightened it, trying to figure it out! :D

I think that right at the bottom edge of the shed (in the upper middle of the photo), there's some worn-off paint that mimics the shape of a duck (but it's the reverse of the white duck).

Oh...here...

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 16, 2013

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Last night I two of my five chickens were killed by a raccoon. Two seem to be completely unscathed,but it's the last one I'm worried about.

She doesn't have any cuts or wounds on her body and she is eating, drinking, and walking around just fine. However, her face has a good amount of blood on it, and one of her eyes is about half closed with a yellowish crust. It looks like she may have had blood coming from her nose at one point, and her breathing has a slight rattle. Her crop is nice and full and her attitude is just about the same as usual, albeit a little more tepid.

Here are two pictures, be warned it is a chicken that is beat up.
http://imgur.com/Q1bCflw
http://imgur.com/dfvxuWb

Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to put her down? Chickens are not very popular in my city so I do not know of any veterinarians that I can take her to.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

LOL! I actually took this image into Photoshop and lightened it, trying to figure it out! :D

I think that right at the bottom edge of the shed (in the upper middle of the photo), there's some worn-off paint that mimics the shape of a duck (but it's the reverse of the white duck).

Oh...here...

Look at the very top of the photo in the middle between the gray chute thing and the frame for the wheels. The grey ghost duck that was melting into the straw is sitting in the hay being all ducky.

I Love Topanga posted:

Last night I two of my five chickens were killed by a raccoon. Two seem to be completely unscathed,but it's the last one I'm worried about.

She doesn't have any cuts or wounds on her body and she is eating, drinking, and walking around just fine. However, her face has a good amount of blood on it, and one of her eyes is about half closed with a yellowish crust. It looks like she may have had blood coming from her nose at one point, and her breathing has a slight rattle. Her crop is nice and full and her attitude is just about the same as usual, albeit a little more tepid.

Here are two pictures, be warned it is a chicken that is beat up.
http://imgur.com/Q1bCflw
http://imgur.com/dfvxuWb

Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to put her down? Chickens are not very popular in my city so I do not know of any veterinarians that I can take her to.

Poor girls. None of my birds have been injured before so I couldnt tell you what to do aside from maybe clean her up with a washcloth and warm water and see if there is any damage to her beak and eye. How did the racoon get in?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2013

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Clean her face up and see if there's any major damage. If she's eating normally, I'd say she's fine, she's just, I don't know, is shock the right word? Whenever mine survive a predator attack, everyone always acts weird for a bit but they go back to normal after a few safe nights.
A gigantic raccoon killed one of my blue d'uccle roosters a couple nights ago :saddowns: Fucker waddled through my garden and crushed every plant, then crawled on top of the d'uccle/baby pen and waddled until he found a spot that I hadn't tied tightly enough. He moved around until the netting caved in and he could just barely reach a roosting bird. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Like Pogonodon said, try to clean her face gently and see if there's any damage to her eye. If she's eating and drinking, that's a good sign. She might be partly in shock still, so if you can, keep her in a quiet area so she can relax. If you happen to have large dog crate, you can put her there with food and water, and cover half of it with a towel so it's dark. That might help her calm down.

If you can't find any vet that is willing to see her (or it's way to expensive), you could try basic first aid. If you see she has any external wounds on her face, you could apply neosporin. just make sure it's the regular one, the ointment with pain reliever is toxic for birds. Also, don't put it in the eye as it could damage it. If she has no vissible head wounds, then just keep her warm and let her relax. I'd suggest to also give her unflavored pedyalite as drinking water for a couple of days to avoid any possible dehydration.