Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got my Goulet broad nib in yesterday for my Ahab and wow. The difference between this and the flex nib is day and night. I know they are for two different styles, but the broad nib just glides on the paper and stays wet as opposed to it drying out every time I put the pen down. I'm using De Atramentis George Washington in it, which is a really rich black. Probably should have gotten a medium, but at this point it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I impulse bought another TWSBI mini, this time in 1.5mm stub nib, along with the awesome lavender purple Iroshizuku ink I've been eyeing forever. I'll post pics soon! The nib is stiff, very buttery, and pretty forgiving of hand position.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

teethgrinder posted:

An AFFORDABLE pen shop opened in Toronto! http://www.wonderpens.ca/

$7 shipping across Canada, free for $100+ orders.

They have a pretty big variety of stuff, pricing all over. Doesn't seem to be any retail markup on the basic Twsbi 580 for example and they have dirt cheap Platinum Preppies. The Al-Stars seem a bit pricy though, compared to Safaris at least.

Lots of great stationery that's hard to find here too.

Hell yes! How are the Noodlers flex pens?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Invalid Octopus posted:

I've got an Ahab and a regular one, both from the second batch of pens. They hold a lot of ink, the nibs are quite wet, as you'd expect, and they have decent flex to them. I got a pair of them for $20 on isellpens a couple years ago, and that's about what I think they're worth. They're cool, but honestly for the money I'd just get a Pilot Metropolitan unless you just want something with a little flex to play with.

The construction is solid, the pen feels good in the hand.

The only real complaint I have is that on both of them, the filling mechanism has gotten a little squeaky, even with a thorough flush. On the demonstrator, it even hitches a little, which causes little bubbles in the feed. This is a somewhat recent problem though, so I assume it's just wear instead of a defect.

So yeah, in short, they're fine pens if you can get them between 10-15 bucks.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Invalid Octopus posted:

I have an Ahab and a Konrad. They're both OK. My Konrad had a problem with the back not screwing together right and thus spilling ink everywhere for a bit, but a little silicone gel fixed that. The flex isn't terribly impressive to me, but I regularly ink things with brushes and crow quills, so my scale of 'good line variation' might be a little off from the norm.

Part of me still really likes them, both in use and how they look, to the point where I went to a lot of trouble fixing the nib of my Ahab when I knocked it off my desk and bent the heck out of the tip. If my Lamy Safari's held more ink, then my Noodlers might not get as much use as they do though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it possible to get one of the Noodler's flex nibs (or some other flex nib I dunno) that will fit in a regular Noodler's piston-fill pen? (I'm never exactly sure what to call this one, it's the one without a cool name I guess?). I don't really want ANOTHER pen but I do want to play with a flex nib.

edit: Looking at Noodler's site this pen uses a #2 nib, so I could potentially just scour the internet for any #2 flex nib right?

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 16, 2013

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
I believe I have a Metropolitan coming in the mail soon! What color should it get?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Platypus Farm posted:

The only real complaint I have is that on both of them, the filling mechanism has gotten a little squeaky, even with a thorough flush. On the demonstrator, it even hitches a little, which causes little bubbles in the feed. This is a somewhat recent problem though, so I assume it's just wear instead of a defect.

So yeah, in short, they're fine pens if you can get them between 10-15 bucks.

At least on the ahab a little grease on the piston should fix this issue.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What do people think about Parker Frontiers? I have a pair that I quite like, and they're in the middle/intro price range as well.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

lady flash posted:

At least on the ahab a little grease on the piston should fix this issue.

No, I've lubed it. Somehow the piston developed a little spur that hitches. I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of an issue to get it fixed, but it's just not worth it for a cheap pen that still works.

edit: but no, you're right - I'll do it to the other one. I've just sorta shuffled them both to the back of my drawer and never remember :)

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 16, 2013

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
In that case if you order from goulet this is $1 http://www.gouletpens.com/mobile/default.aspx#P6149

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Yes I write in all caps like a 5 year old. No I'm not going to apologize for it. This pen will probably get me to learn cursive though. It's an EF nib since I forgot to write that down and it's probably something you want to know.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was at my local Staples and noticed they had Parker Quink. I gave it a try since it was only 8$ for a bottle, but I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. It's just not saturated enough, and despite hearing from many people that it's a well behaved ink, it managed to feather with a couple of Extra Fine nibs I used, so I can't imagine how bad it will feather with slightly broader nibs....

Granted, I didn't use it on any good paper yet, but I did use it on paper that some of my other inks (such as Aurora Black) didn't feather with an EF

Ah well, I'll do some more tests in the coming days. Maybe I'll put it in my TWSBI

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
Anybody know offhand which parker this is?

Edit: also, how do I do that fancy expanding thumbnail?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Instead of img tags, use timg tags.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Duro posted:

I was at my local Staples and noticed they had Parker Quink. I gave it a try since it was only 8$ for a bottle, but I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. It's just not saturated enough, and despite hearing from many people that it's a well behaved ink, it managed to feather with a couple of Extra Fine nibs I used, so I can't imagine how bad it will feather with slightly broader nibs....

Granted, I didn't use it on any good paper yet, but I did use it on paper that some of my other inks (such as Aurora Black) didn't feather with an EF

Ah well, I'll do some more tests in the coming days. Maybe I'll put it in my TWSBI

I'm getting a little feathering, but I'm also using a really lovely college ruled spiral notebook from Wal Mart. I'm not super impressed though. It's not black enough for my liking, but it does dry super fast and it's dirt cheap, so for something to take notes in class with I'm not going to complain. I'll probably get some Noodler's HoD to switch to when I order my next round of stuff.

xilixliadon posted:

Upload to imgur and use the timg tag.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

teethgrinder posted:

An AFFORDABLE pen shop opened in Toronto! http://www.wonderpens.ca/

$7 shipping across Canada, free for $100+ orders.

They have a pretty big variety of stuff, pricing all over. Doesn't seem to be any retail markup on the basic Twsbi 580 for example and they have dirt cheap Platinum Preppies. The Al-Stars seem a bit pricy though, compared to Safaris at least.

Lots of great stationery that's hard to find here too.

Thanks! Added to the OP.

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

Viper_3000 posted:

Upload to imgur and use the timg tag.

Thanks!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

xilixliadon posted:

I believe that's a Parker 45, first introduced in the 60s and named for a .45 revolver.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
What can you guys tell mme about Noodler's HOD? I have their Black and X-feather and was wondering how it differs from these. (also if it is worth investing in another black ink). Not sure if it matters, but I currently have a Lamy Safari, Lamy Vista, TWSBI 580, TWSBI Vac700, Monteverde Invincia Stylus.

Also, for the guys that have bought Noodler's Ahab flex pens, I am a bit curious about those. I really like the aesthetic of the Ahab, as well as the size and the grip. However, I have no experience tinkering with or fixing my pens, and I have heard that Ahab's don't necessarily work great straight out of the box.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

laertes22 posted:

What can you guys tell mme about Noodler's HOD? I have their Black and X-feather and was wondering how it differs from these. (also if it is worth investing in another black ink). Not sure if it matters, but I currently have a Lamy Safari, Lamy Vista, TWSBI 580, TWSBI Vac700, Monteverde Invincia Stylus.

Also, for the guys that have bought Noodler's Ahab flex pens, I am a bit curious about those. I really like the aesthetic of the Ahab, as well as the size and the grip. However, I have no experience tinkering with or fixing my pens, and I have heard that Ahab's don't necessarily work great straight out of the box.

HoD is a well behaved ink and is most likely the darkest black you'll easily find.

Question back at you: do you have the all-black Invincia? Does it chip off or take regular use well?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

HoD is a well behaved ink and is most likely the darkest black you'll easily find.

Question back at you: do you have the all-black Invincia? Does it chip off or take regular use well?

I do have the all-black Invincia Stylus. Unfortunately, I have only had it for about a week. So, I can not really speak regarding whether or not it chips (thus far, it has not). What I can say is that it writes really well, and the nib stays fairly wet consistently. I have not had any issues with it getting scratchy. I will also add that the stylus end works really well with my smartphone and tablet. Currently, it is tied with my TWSBI 580 for my favorite pen.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

laertes22 posted:

Re: Black Inks, I've been using De Atramentis George Washington and it's a nice rich super black with no feathering.

Re: Ahab Flex. You need to tweak the nib and feed once you get it. Once you get it where you want it, you don't have to worry about it until you need to clean your pen. I've been using mine daily for a few weeks now with no issues, outside of putting the J Herbin Rouge Hematite in it. It's super easy to disassemble and assemble, everything screws / unscrews and the nib / feed are friction fit.

I just don't like the flex nib as much as I thought (needs too much work to press down) and put in a Goulet nib instead. I'm tempted to grind the noodler's nib down to see how super flexy I can make it.

There's a good video on Goulet pens about it [no link, I'm at the office].

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 17, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

One thing to add to the HOD conversation - I've found that it's slick as all hell. If you have a pen with a scratchy nib, HOD can still make the pen sing. I have a 1930s Sheaffer with the scratchiest nib on earth, but HOD is wonderful in it when very few other inks work at all, really.

re: Ahab flex - mine was actually good out of the box. But yeah as others have said, there's not a whole lot of flex to it, and it requires quite a bit of effort to get the flexing.

--pen grabbed--

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 17, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Picked up some presents for myself :3:. The black pen's a Jinhau 165, which I got to use with the BB because it's cheap, but it actually writes quite well and has a nice build. The blue one's the Noodler's Creaper flex. This baystate is fantastic, I'm glad I finally picked some up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sailor is forcing Goulet Pens to stop selling Sailor ink, since Goulet doesn't carry the full line of Sailor pens. If you've had your eye on some Sailor ink, get it while you can.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's lovely. Noticed Wonder Pens was carrying Sailor ink and was considering adding it to my collection. They have a modest selection of Sailor pens, but none of the really nice higher-end stuff.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Had some leaking issues today with my Vista when I was carrying it around today. Cleaned it, re-seated the nib/feed/converter and all seems to be well. We'll see how it does tomorrow.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
So, I'm looking for a pen recommendation. I decided it might be fun to buy one of those ultra-cheap fountain pens you can find on Ebay. I picked this one up for $2.13, including shipping. Surprisingly, I really, really like the feel of it on paper, and the weight. It's main downside is that it dries out at the drop of a hat. Leaving the cap off for any amount of time ruins the flow, so it starts skipping, and it noticeably finer in it's lines. The only way to fix it then is to refill it. I've been thinking it would be awesome to find one that's similar in heft and size but maybe better made. If you have a recommendation of how I might be able to make it work better I guess that would also be good.

General review of it: Aside from writing well, it's surprisingly heavy, especially for it's size. The thing is a good half an inch shorter than my Lamy, but weighs more. I think this is why I really like it. I do a lot of doodling with my fountain pens, and it's easier imagine carrying something like this around and using it on a regular basis.

Back to the pen itself, it also has a much smaller reservoir than the Lamy, even smaller than it needs to have. This would be a problem but it also is extremely easy to fill and clean, much more so than my other pens. I could in theory turn it into an eyedropper I guess, but I'm not sure I trust the construction for that.

It also kind of a bizarre tip. It's so short! But I like how it looks. I guess most of the nib is hidden the body?

Finally, you may notice it's some sort of Disney knock-off. It even has his face on the shiny metal band. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it's kinda fun.

It was called a "Standard Size Senior Collection Nib Pen GB-719D" in the listing, and it says Wenliang 719 on it's cap. I guess that's about sums it up.

shadysight fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 18, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shadysight posted:

So, I'm looking for a pen recommendation. I decided it might be fun to buy one of those ultra-cheap fountain pens you can find on Ebay. I picked this one up for $2.13, including shipping. Surprisingly, I really, really like the feel of it on paper, and the weight. It's main downside is that it dries out at the drop of a hat. Leaving the cap off for any amount of time ruins the flow, so it starts skipping, and it noticeably finer in it's lines. The only way to fix it then is to refill it. I've been thinking it would be awesome to find one that's similar but maybe better made. If you have a recommendation of how I might be able to make it work better I guess that would also be good.

General review of it: Aside from writing well, it's surprisingly heavy, especially for it's size. The thing is a good half an inch shorter than my Lamy, but weighs more. I think this is why I really like it. I do a lot of doodling with my fountain pens, and it's easier imagine carrying something like this around and using it on a regular basis.

Back to the pen itself, it also has a much smaller reservoir than the Lamy, even smaller than it needs to have. This would be a problem but it also is extremely easy to fill and clean, much more so than my other pens. I could in theory turn it into an eyedropper I guess, but I'm not sure I trust the construction for that.

It also kind of a bizarre tip. It's so short! But I like how it looks. I guess most of the nib is hidden the body?

Finally, you may notice it's some sort of Disney knock-off. It even has his face on the shiny metal band. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it's kinda fun.

It was called a "Standard Size Senior Collection Nib Pen GB-719D" in the listing, and it says Wenliang 719 on it's cap. I guess that's about sums it up.

Hahaha, Wenliang is written in Disney's signature script.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

Picked up some presents for myself :3:. The black pen's a Jinhau 165, which I got to use with the BB because it's cheap, but it actually writes quite well and has a nice build. The blue one's the Noodler's Creaper flex. This baystate is fantastic, I'm glad I finally picked some up.

I bought one (the jinhao one) last week and I agree! It's cheap as hell and do a great job. Pretty smooth writing.

If people are looking for something more classy but not too expensive I would suggest a Lamy Logo. Find to hard now since they are out of production but the Large one is ultra smooth and the Medium one give you a good handwriting when you have to take a lots of notes.

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

shadysight posted:

So, I'm looking for a pen recommendation. I decided it might be fun to buy one of those ultra-cheap fountain pens you can find on Ebay. I picked this one up for $2.13, including shipping. Surprisingly, I really, really like the feel of it on paper, and the weight. It's main downside is that it dries out at the drop of a hat. Leaving the cap off for any amount of time ruins the flow, so it starts skipping, and it noticeably finer in it's lines. The only way to fix it then is to refill it. I've been thinking it would be awesome to find one that's similar but maybe better made. If you have a recommendation of how I might be able to make it work better I guess that would also be good.

Did my best to locate anything related to it on google, but the best I could find was someone saying they like the wenliang 652 (http://dofastandwell.blogspot.com/2011/01/fabulous-fountain-pen.html), and an old post selling a panda themed wenliang pen on fountainpennetwork (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/117834-dancing-panda-fountain-pen/).

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

How does HoD do with regular, cheap notebook paper. Noodler's Black and X feather have behaved really well on cheap paper. However, I was curious if HoD had any issues with feathering, bleeding through, etc.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It does alright for me - tried it in both a Lamy 2k and a Visconti HS - but it takes a loving age and a day to dry. If the paper is really cheap, though, it's going to feather and go through and there's not much you can do to stop it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

laertes22 posted:

How does HoD do with regular, cheap notebook paper. Noodler's Black and X feather have behaved really well on cheap paper. However, I was curious if HoD had any issues with feathering, bleeding through, etc.

I can't say I've had any issues, but I've also never used it with a nib larger than a western fine. Mostly I stick to an extra fine with it because the intensity is perfect for forms and regulatory paperwork. Anyone else want to chip in here?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=home_popular

Not sure where its manufactured, but 37$ refillable fountain pens. Anyone hear about this yet?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Lamy Safari is a $20 refillable fountain pen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

laertes22 posted:

I use it in my TWSBI with a fine nib at work on normal notebook paper all the drat time. Doesn't feather that much, at least nothing noticeable, honestly looking at some of the thicker lines I'd be inclined to say it just isn't feathering. Also dry time seems to be instant for me, 1 second and no smears, but that might be the fine nib at work there. Perhaps there's batch variance in the ink or the Office Depot notebooks that are in the supply closet here use really good paper.

Not an Anthem posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/visionnaire-fine-writing-instruments-0?ref=home_popular

Not sure where its manufactured, but 37$ refillable fountain pens. Anyone hear about this yet?
I backed this and cancelled my pledge after it was discussed in here several pages ago. It doesn't sound like it will really be that great of a pen, it's just a design project.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 18, 2013

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Not an Anthem posted:

It came up a few pages back. A few of us were a bit skeptical of their marketing and claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

xilixliadon posted:

Did my best to locate anything related to it on google, but the best I could find was someone saying they like the wenliang 652 (http://dofastandwell.blogspot.com/2011/01/fabulous-fountain-pen.html), and an old post selling a panda themed wenliang pen on fountainpennetwork (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/117834-dancing-panda-fountain-pen/).

Lots of pens on eBay like that in a similar series, no Disney style specifically, all starting at .01 USD with free shipping from Hong Kong. Makes me wonder how they make any money doing it. Back before I was into fountain pens as much as I am now, I bought a bunch of metal rollerball pens from China the same way, they came packaged super nice, with bookmarks and the pen wrapped up nicely and a chinese postcard, and I didn't pay more than .30 usd for each of them.