Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Who created the term "Muta Scale"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I don't know who actually created the scale, but this is the match that started it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yxfSRz-cw

(Obviously, incredibly bloody.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Monkey Man posted:

Who created the term "Muta Scale"?

Scott Keith

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That cut was completely disgusting, he was gushing blood. Not dripping, not pouring, it was shooting out of him. Didn't Guerrero go into shock when he got backstage or is that just internet rumor?

I will say that JBL on his knees, pleading for mercy from a blood-covered furious Guerrero was an awesome visual though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Since I mentioned it in the games thread:

Has there ever been a more genuinely emotional kayfabe moment than Liz/Macho at WM7? The only one I can think of is Flair's retirement.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VogeGandire posted:

Has there ever been a more genuinely emotional kayfabe moment than Liz/Macho at WM7? The only one I can think of is Flair's retirement.

Shawn's title win at Mania 12.

Benoit's title win at Mania 20.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

EugeneJ posted:

Scott Keith

Not everything from 1990s RSPW is a Scott Keith invention, as much as he'd like to claim it all. The Muta Scale was Japanese tape trader slang from 1993ish and Scott didn't even run with that crew (he may not have even been on RSPW at that time). I forget whether Paul Herzog or Dave Scherer came up with it, but those were the two guys that used it in their listings.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

"I'm sorry. I love you"

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Shawn Micheals' retirement was a bit of a tear jerker as well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was an emotional wreck after SS last year when HHH tapped to Brock and it looked like his career was over. I was pissed that crowd was so disrespectful and not treating it like the solemn occasion it was.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

That cut was completely disgusting, he was gushing blood. Not dripping, not pouring, it was shooting out of him. Didn't Guerrero go into shock when he got backstage or is that just internet rumor?

I will say that JBL on his knees, pleading for mercy from a blood-covered furious Guerrero was an awesome visual though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has anyone here sat in the back rows on the floor at a WWE event before? I had like 8th row seats to the Rumble one year and hated it, I can't imagine how bad it would be at the very back.

Alternatively, has anyone here been front row for a WWE show?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone here sat in the back rows on the floor at a WWE event before?

I have but it was at MSG so the floor has risers. I've been back row at ROH enough to know how lovely it can be, though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone here sat in the back rows on the floor at a WWE event before? I had like 8th row seats to the Rumble one year and hated it, I can't imagine how bad it would be at the very back.

I've experienced both and have found the latter to be awesome when there's a lot of wrestling to be seen. Being up close for house shows is some of the most fun I've had watching WWE and I've dragged people along who don't even care for wrestling and had a blast. Hearing the impact the wrestlers are making in the ring and seeing them interact with fans is just a boatload of fun. I imagine PPVs would be great to be in the front row for as well, but the price of that is way higher than a house show or a Smackdown.

One thing I've learned I want to avoid is RAW. It doesn't matter if it's up close or in the back, I find RAW to be much less fun to go to with its commercial dead spots and focus on talking/comedy over wrestling. I went to RAW just once and it was a 3 hour special (before this was regular) and even with 3 world title matches and The Miz shooting Hornswoggle, you could just feel the crowd energy die over the course of four hours (they taped Superstars before it) and all the commercials and backstage segments. When I sit close I want to see wrestling, I can save money and stay home to watch talking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What are some of the craziest Paul Heyman stories? For one of the carnie at men in pro wrestling there has to be some nutty stories out there.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I've been at the front row for a house show. It was alright except there was a constant stream of kids leaving their seats and standing leaning against the railing beside me. A couple of times they would edge in so they were standing literally in front of me before I got them to budge up a little. I admire their enthusiasm but it was still annoying, especially because I felt like an rear end in a top hat when I shouldn't have

Got a good long look at Tyler Reks rear end, and Cody Rhodes nice gear at the time

t3h_z0r
Oct 13, 2012

"A cop in body armor is designed to look intimidating."
I AM A LIAR
Is it just me or are wrestling matches a lot slower than they were 10 years ago? I'm seeing a lot more pinfall attempts and extended selling than before

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

What are some of the craziest Paul Heyman stories? For one of the carnie at men in pro wrestling there has to be some nutty stories out there.

Flying ECW wrestlers on bereavement airfare to save money and all the wrestlers having to fly under whatever fake name Heyman made up for them.

Trying to bribe New Jack into jumping off the 3-story high overpass behind the ECW Arena with $5,000 and an 8-ball of cocaine.

Those come immediately to mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jerry Lawler shoot disliked Heyman so much, that when Paul worked Memphis during a segment where he was supposed to just slug Paul, he broke Paul's jaw.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

t3h_z0r posted:

Is it just me or are wrestling matches a lot slower than they were 10 years ago? I'm seeing a lot more pinfall attempts and extended selling than before

WWE has slowed itself down a lot, mostly due to a ton of the guys who were wrestling 10 years ago ending up with broken necks.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tato posted:

One thing I've learned I want to avoid is RAW. It doesn't matter if it's up close or in the back, I find RAW to be much less fun to go to with its commercial dead spots and focus on talking/comedy over wrestling. I went to RAW just once and it was a 3 hour special (before this was regular) and even with 3 world title matches and The Miz shooting Hornswoggle, you could just feel the crowd energy die over the course of four hours (they taped Superstars before it) and all the commercials and backstage segments. When I sit close I want to see wrestling, I can save money and stay home to watch talking.

:cry: I just bought two $100 RAW tickets a few rows behind the announcers table on the "floor" section for me and a friend.

Eh, it'll hopefully still be fun. It's the day after Night of Champions...hopefully it'll be cool. First time I'm going for a live show and we rarely get RAW in Cleveland it feels.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gatts posted:

:cry: I just bought two $100 RAW tickets a few rows behind the announcers table on the "floor" section for me and a friend.

Eh, it'll hopefully still be fun. It's the day after Night of Champions...hopefully it'll be cool. First time I'm going for a live show and we rarely get RAW in Cleveland it feels.

Don't worry about him, Raw is fun! You get to go to the show that actually matters, not stinky ol' Smackdown that might as well not even exist.

Yeah the commercial breaks are kind of a drag, but a lot of them happen during matches (lol) so you get to see the entire match uncut from interruption

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Once upon a time, The Gangstas worked for Jim Cornette in SMW, and was drawing entirely the wrong kind of heat. Cornette sat down and tried to think of a way to help them make some money without getting lynched, and realized that they were a perfect fit for ECW. He called up Paul and set up a time for them to head over after they'd done another circuit and put over the remaining guys. Suddenly New Jack starts saying he's heading over to ECW weeks ahead of the planned date, so Jimmy calls up to make sure Paul gave the right date to New Jack, because he needs the Gangstas to put over his guys.

Paul E's response: "They must work the dates you've agreed upon, and if New Jack shows up at ECW before he's followed through on those dates I won't use them." Then just before Jim hangs up Paul says "Let me know if you fire them!"

Of course New Jack doesn't show and Jim fires him the next day, and then New Jack shows up on ECW HCTV demanding he be paid for the show he didn't go to.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gatts posted:

Heh, I'm just about to go buy tickets for the NoC go-home Raw. I think it should be fun, and even if it's not I'm going for $30 cheap seats.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gatts posted:

Raw seems to be at its best when it's right after a PPV so you should be fine.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

kidcoelacanth posted:

Raw seems to be at its best when it's right after a PPV so you should be fine.

It seems I always get stuck going to the go-home shows. They're good and all, but like you say, the post-PPV shows are the best.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Better than going to the go-home Raw or the Raw after the PPV is going to the actual Night of Champions PPV itself. :c00lbert:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bard Maddox posted:

Better than going to the go-home Raw or the Raw after the PPV is going to the actual Night of Champions PPV itself. :c00lbert:

I kinda bought my tickets (no refunds) before the thought occurred to me "Wait...why don't I try to go to NOC itself? It's 3 hours away in Detroit and I can go and come back and can buy $200 floor seats or whatever." and then I justified my lack of foresight by thinking "Oh yeah, it's Detroit. Who wants to go there?"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Gatts posted:

Wrestling is wrestling, you should have a great time no matter what, I was just noting a personal preference. Even the worst of shows on television can be a blast live with the right attitude and a crowd full of other excited people.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Curious wrestling question: who is the wrestler you've been the least impressed with upon first seeing him/her? Take this whatever way you want, but I figure it like you've heard of a guy as being hot poo poo, then you see a match where botches a bunch and fucks up getting rolled up for the finish. Something like that. Who is it!!

I have no clue who this would be for me, for what it's worth.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Curious wrestling question: who is the wrestler you've been the least impressed with upon first seeing him/her? Take this whatever way you want, but I figure it like you've heard of a guy as being hot poo poo, then you see a match where botches a bunch and fucks up getting rolled up for the finish. Something like that. Who is it!!

Mistico

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

The answer is always Raven.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

From what I can tell, The Road Warriors loving suck

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Claudio. I still haven't gotten over my inital disappointment of being told to check this guy out in like 05 and then watching him stink up the joint.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

AJ Styles. His rise in TNA coincided with the period where I wasn't watching wrestling, so I turned on an episode of Impact, he had a match that night, and it was the absolute drizzling shits.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Right around when WCW went down there started to be some buzz about a new American indy guy. I got a tape of the King of the Indies tournament where he had a couple matches (I remember one of them was against Spanky) and wrote him off as one of the dozens of generic indyriffic guys pretending to be Chris Benoit.

His ring name was "American Dragon;" a few months later he started going by his real name, Bryan Danielson. He showed up in ROH about a year later and it turned out he was one of the best wrestlers in the world by that point.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I was checking out some OSW Reviews and they reminded me of several wrestlers from when I was a kid that were pretty visible but either consistently unremarkable (Tito Santana) or that I outright loathed (the Bushwhackers, the Nasty Boys). Did any of them have a good match?

Edit: I should specify a good match on their own merits, not being carried by someone else.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

I was checking out some OSW Reviews and they reminded me of several wrestlers from when I was a kid that were pretty visible but either consistently unremarkable (Tito Santana) or that I outright loathed (the Bushwhackers, the Nasty Boys). Did any of them have a good match?

Out of those three, no. No they did not.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No one had built him up to me, but my first exposure to Chris Hero was seeing him on a JCW DVD where he had a pretty terrible match and they called him names like "Piss Taco" for the duration. I thought his look was embarrassing and that there was no way this pudgy kid with greasy hair was a real trained wrestler, probably just a friend of ICP or something. I figured it had to be a joke later down the line when people were actually talking about him like a serious wrestler. I didn't give him a second look until he dropped the indie trashbag pants and was pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

The Bushwhackers, before they were the Bushwhackers, were pioneering hardcore wrestlers as The Sheepherders, and had a Meltzer ***** match against the Fantastics for Jim Crockett. The Nasty Boys had a number of great streetfight type matches, probably most notably two matches in 1994 with Cactus Jack and Max Payne/Kevin Sullivan. Tito Santana had a bunch of great matches with Randy Savage and a MOTYC against Mr. Perfect on a random SNME.