Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I spoke with them again (thank you for letting me know that is a free call). The person said I have the correct code, and that is the only valid code. They are unsure why it wouldn't work, but they warned me that if it denies the code five times, that my phone will be forever disabled, or something ominous like that.

Does this all sound correct/normal? I am very :/ right now, and afraid to try again...

It sounds like maybe they're giving you a PUK code (which allows you to get past a forgotten PIN), not a carrier unlock code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Molten Llama posted:

It sounds like maybe they're giving you a PUK code (which allows you to get past a forgotten PIN), not a carrier unlock code.

At first, that is what the second person I spoke with thought I had been given, but they did verify that I am using an unlock code, not a PUK code.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I'm on an old family plan that still has A-List on all of the lines. I want to upgrade from an iPhone 4S. Whichever phone I choose I have to change my data plan to an LTE version, which is apparently enough to kill the A-list feature on the account according to the website. Is upgrading a phone actually going to remove A-list, or can I get someone to keep it since I am not changing the voice plan and am not even really changing the data plan?

edit: vvv The family plan has an $30 unlimited messaging for all lines option split over 5 lines. Not that this really matters all that much since I think the account has like 20,000 rollover minutes because of A-list, and I think I used 5 non-M2M minutes this month, but its the principal I guess, and it isn't my account.

Another question, The phone I want is $100 cheaper on Amazon than on ATT. If I upgrade through Amazon (who forces you to select a 300m/3g/5g data plan) can I get ATT to switch me back onto the unlimited plan or do I need to pay the $100 + sales tax to buy it from ATT?

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 9, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm on an old family plan that still has A-List on all of the lines. I want to upgrade from an iPhone 4S. Whichever phone I choose I have to change my data plan to an LTE version, which is apparently enough to kill the A-list feature on the account according to the website. Is upgrading a phone actually going to remove A-list, or can I get someone to keep it since I am not changing the voice plan and am not even really changing the data plan?

Just curious, do you have unlimited texting? Because if so, you would have unlimited calling to any mobile number, which kind of makes A list a bit less necessary.

I rarely get A List anymore, so i am not sure otherwise.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

edit: vvv The family plan has an $30 unlimited messaging for all lines option split over 5 lines. Not that this really matters all that much since I think the account has like 20,000 rollover minutes because of A-list, and I think I used 5 non-M2M minutes this month, but its the principal I guess, and it isn't my account.

Another question, The phone I want is $100 cheaper on Amazon than on ATT. If I upgrade through Amazon (who forces you to select a 300m/3g/5g data plan) can I get ATT to switch me back onto the unlimited plan or do I need to pay the $100 + sales tax to buy it from ATT?

AT&T will not change you back to unlimited. And do unlimited messaging. Unlimited calling to any US cellphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Check Best Buy, they might still be selling the phone for $150. Otherwise, order through amazon at your own risk, and store reps def would just tell you you are SOL if you lose unlimited data because of Amazon.

And yeah, you might lose A list but you have unlimited cell phone calling so that should be fine.

Oh, and if you aren't the account holder make sure you are listed as an authorized user before you go into an ATT store, we can't look up anything if you aren't listed as authorized to make changes.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, and if you aren't the account holder make sure you are listed as an authorized user before you go into an ATT store, we can't look up anything if you aren't listed as authorized to make changes.

THIS, is going in the OP.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
drat did they end the $100 upgrade for iPhone 5 online because that was only supposed to be for trading in old phones in-store?

I was going to do that with my upgrade and then sell it on ebay/craigslist. Maybe I should now wait until the 5S comes out before I do that. I'm using this to fund my Google Edition S4.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
A little help for a cell phone idiot please.

I would like a Galaxy S4 Active but I want to use it on T-Mobile. I asked the guy at the T-Mobile store if they were going to get them and he thinks the Active model is probably an AT&T exclusive.

Can I buy a Galaxy S4 active from AT&T with no plan? If so, will it work on T-Mobile's network?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hackedaccount posted:

Can I buy a Galaxy S4 active from AT&T with no plan? If so, will it work on T-Mobile's network?

You would have to get AT&T to unlock it which they do not unless you are a subscriber for x days i believe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hackedaccount posted:

A little help for a cell phone idiot please.

I would like a Galaxy S4 Active but I want to use it on T-Mobile. I asked the guy at the T-Mobile store if they were going to get them and he thinks the Active model is probably an AT&T exclusive.

Yeah, it's ATT exclusive so I doubt it would be worth it. May I recommend a Galaxy S4 with a lifeproof case (assuming they make those).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it's ATT exclusive so I doubt it would be worth it. May I recommend a Galaxy S4 with a lifeproof case (assuming they make those).

Well. You most likely won't see a lifeproof since otter bought them. You will most likely see the 99$ waterproof otter for it soon.

We got our demo for the s3. Its literally a brick. It makes the s3 BIGGER than a note in a defender. Its comedy like gently caress.

It does say its good for a 10+ foot drop though. And I honestly believe it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 12, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
drat, ok, thanks for the info.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Beefstorm posted:

THIS, is going in the OP.

I'm on a family plan and while I am set up as an authorized user, they still sometimes ask me for the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSN, so that might be a good thing to know as well.

I know my dad's last 4 because of this and any time I've changed phones or anything else.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I provably sgouldnt cause the thread to have a long debate over it, but if any ATT reps here are interested in having a good Google hangouts chat on the current changes at ATT, PM me your gmail.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Current changes at AT&T?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ozmodiar posted:

Current changes at AT&T?

restructuring (again), Leap Wireless buyout that sorta stuff.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Do I need to tell ATT that I bought a Google edition Samsung s4? I used to have an iPhone 4. I ask because I can't get LTE. I'm sitting right next to someone who is getting it so I should be too. I'm just getting HSPA.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Current changes at AT&T?

Huge change in commission. In a nutshell employees starting next month only get paid for revenue increases.

Ex 1: Someone upgrades, same plan, buys no accessories: I make like $0.50.

Ex 2: customer upgrades, adds xx plan for $10, a case and a Beats by Dr Dre Pillbox. I make a bajillion dollars.

I can't bitch now though, I am now the only person in my store to sell a Digital Life Home Security system (the pressure to sell the things is crazy). I'm untouchable for at least 2 months.

Anyway, sorry about the derail. Honestly people will live with the pay changes, just a lot of drama.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Huge change in commission. In a nutshell employees starting next month only get paid for revenue increases.

Ex 1: Someone upgrades, same plan, buys no accessories: I make like $0.50.

Ex 2: customer upgrades, adds xx plan for $10, a case and a Beats by Dr Dre Pillbox. I make a bajillion dollars.

I can't bitch now though, I am now the only person in my store to sell a Digital Life Home Security system (the pressure to sell the things is crazy). I'm untouchable for at least 2 months.

Anyway, sorry about the derail. Honestly people will live with the pay changes, just a lot of drama.

I do understand lowering the pay on example one...but it shouldn't be like, 50 cents. Sometimes we are saving opps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I do understand lowering the pay on example one...but it shouldn't be like, 50 cents. Sometimes we are saving opps.

Amen to that, but I doubt higher ups care. There are a whole bunch of people that literally won't do anything for us. For better or worse.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KingKapalone posted:

Do I need to tell ATT that I bought a Google edition Samsung s4? I used to have an iPhone 4. I ask because I can't get LTE. I'm sitting right next to someone who is getting it so I should be too. I'm just getting HSPA.

Yes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Can I just call someone then?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Probably that's fine.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

Sometimes, depending on how long you have had your sim card, you need to get a new LTE compatible one. But try calling and see if it works.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

Sometimes, depending on how long you have had your sim card, you need to get a new LTE compatible one. But try calling and see if it works.

My SIM is 3 years old, so I need a new one.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KingKapalone posted:

My SIM is 3 years old, so I need a new one.

Most likely you need a new one. Definitely if you have one that says "3G."

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At&t was quick to compete with T-mobile's yearly upgrade plan and announced At&t Next. I'm sure it's designed to completely screw you over, but I haven't done the math on how yet. Looks like you're just paying the full, unsubsidized price on your phone in installments.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

At&t was quick to compete with T-mobile's yearly upgrade plan and announced At&t Next. I'm sure it's designed to completely screw you over, but I haven't done the math on how yet. Looks like you're just paying the full, unsubsidized price on your phone in installments.

Is that a perpetual '12 month' upgrade cycle as long as you stick with AT&T?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Maneki Neko posted:

Is that a perpetual '12 month' upgrade cycle as long as you stick with AT&T?

Yes, provided 1) the device isn't damaged 2) you trade the device in.

Verizon is also apparently piloting a program like this, due to launch 8/25

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
From the internal desk of AT&T...

quote:

On July 26, 2013, AT&T will be introducing a new program that changes the wireless industry and provides customers with more choices when it comes to getting the latest and greatest devices from AT&T. It is called AT&T Next and it is a new way to get a new device every year.
With AT&T Next, customers pay no down payment, no activation or upgrade fees and no financing fees. Customers are only responsible for sales tax at time of purchase. Consumer and IRU customers, who qualify, can now take advantage of buying a new smartphone or tablet through monthly installment payments.
For customers who recently signed a new two-year agreement, AT&T has extended the Buyer’s Remorse Policy from July 1, 2013 - August 9, 2013. The purchase date must be July 1, 2013 - July 26, 2013, and must be completed at a COR store. Customers will need to return to point of purchase to take advantage of AT&T Next before signing up at a Company Owned Retail Store.
COR Locations in the West Region (excluding Hawaii/Alaska) will launch AT&T Next early on July 18, 2013. AT&T Next will be available in Local Dealer locations at a later date.

Ask any questions you have. AT&T setup a giant FAQ for us regarding the program.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
So I can get a new GS4 for free, not the $200 subsidized pricing (assuming you trade in the phone)?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AppleCobbler posted:

So I can get a new GS4 for free, not the $200 subsidized pricing (assuming you trade in the phone)?

plus $32/m and tax on the full (non subsidized) amount.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
The language seems to insinuate that if I get the phone and then pay off that (32/mo * 12 = $384) before the 12 months is up, I can come in and trade the phone and get a new one with no money down again.

Like I could pay off the GS4 in 2 months, then in the third month come into the store and say, hey, let me get an iPhone 5 and they'll take my GS4 and I'll start off on payments again for that. Is this correct?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

The language seems to insinuate that if I get the phone and then pay off that (32/mo * 12 = $384) before the 12 months is up, I can come in and trade the phone and get a new one with no money down again.

Like I could pay off the GS4 in 2 months, then in the third month come into the store and say, hey, let me get an iPhone 5 and they'll take my GS4 and I'll start off on payments again for that. Is this correct?

You have to wait 12 months. Or if you dont trade your phone in you have the payments for 20 months. So the phone is $640 plus tax if you decide to keep it.

quote:

Step 1: Choose any one of our latest smartphones or tablets.
You only pay taxes up front and there's no down payment or
activation fee.

Step 2: A low monthly installment plan is added to your bill.

Step 3: Any time after 12 months, you may trade in your device
for a brand new one! Or choose to keep the device and, after
20 months, no more installment payments are required.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

The confusion these plans will cause will be so much fun to work with.

On another note, I enjoy the irony that TMobile launches a big goal of "let's get rid of contracts" and the end result 6 months later is that 3 of the 4 carriers, including TMo, are starting programs to allow customers renew their contract every 6 months.

Basically, contracts just aren't going away in America because Americans are horrified of paying more than $199 for a phone (or for many, more than $0.99).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You dont have to get a contract on any of the carriers as far as i know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

You dont have to get a contract on any of the carriers as far as i know.

Except that for any of the payment plans you are immediately liable for the amount remaining if you cancel before the end of it. And they all def still run credit checks to qualify who can get the plans/promotions.

If I'm missing something let me know, but to my eyes they are just changing around words that still up to the definition of "contract."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Except that for any of the payment plans you are immediately liable for the amount remaining if you cancel before the end of it. And they all def still run credit checks to qualify who can get the plans/promotions.

If I'm missing something let me know, but to my eyes they are just changing around words that still up to the definition of "contract."

You dont have to get a payment plan. You can bring your own phone to any of the providers or buy one outright and sign up with no contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
At a price which represents an expected subsidized phone. You're dumb not to buy the newest phone and sell it if you want a lesser phone.

Take that off and I'd buy phone - cheap contract in a heartbeat.