Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Right about 30". It felt fine when I was riding it albeit a little weird since I haven't been on a bike in a few months. It was in really good condition for an '01 also. Chain and sprockets were brand new and the bike only has 4800ish miles total. But its mostly a matter of convincing my mom that 12 years with only 5,000 miles is really nothing.

E: Because I wont hear the end of it if anything at all goes wrong.

E2: actually I'm gonna call the guy back later today after work and see if I can get it for 1900 which would leave me enough for a set of lowering links and registration / tax. It's my money :colbert:.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a DRZ. Do the couple loctite fixes and it will be dead-on reliable forever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Don't get lowering links, if anything carve out the seat a little bit. Just get comfortable pulling up to stops and putting one foot down, don't worry about flat footing on both sides or anything. I've got a 28" inseam and rode a DRZ with a slightly shaved seat and had no issues once I got used to it...not like I can flatfoot anything anyways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

32" inseam flat footin errday, sup yall.

I actually wish someone made lifting links for the DRZ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
An Austrian company makes a lifted and improved drz :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

An Austrian company makes a lifted and improved drz :v:

I could just buy another DRZ and sit it on top of mine though for that money. Or weld them together side by side and have a super rad quad.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Tenchrono posted:

Right about 30". It felt fine when I was riding it albeit a little weird since I haven't been on a bike in a few months. It was in really good condition for an '01 also. Chain and sprockets were brand new and the bike only has 4800ish miles total. But its mostly a matter of convincing my mom that 12 years with only 5,000 miles is really nothing.

E: Because I wont hear the end of it if anything at all goes wrong.

E2: actually I'm gonna call the guy back later today after work and see if I can get it for 1900 which would leave me enough for a set of lowering links and registration / tax. It's my money :colbert:.

I'm 30" also and you'll definitely get used to it. I wouldn't bother with lowering links. If anything maybe get one of the Seat Concept kits, I think they take some height off.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Slide your rear end off the left side of the seat and put your left foot down. You can still use the rear brake for taking off on hills and such. Scooped seats suck for offroad riding if you happen to do any.

re: tire chat I think distanzias are good all around sumo tires - a set are currently on my MZ. My thoughts on offroad stuff with sumo tires are the main problem with the tire is you are dealing with tires that are too wide and smaller than standard 21/19 dirt setups. Once you get into rocky / rooty conditions the 17" wheel will bounce around a lot more due to the shape of the contact patch. The rear will also suck if you get into conditions where you actually need some traction. A knobby rear would probably hook up pretty well in lots of situations.

If you just want to cruise around on rough jeep roads and mild singletrack it'll be just fine. If you want to try to ride relatively technical stuff you're going to really hate life compared to the exact same bike equipped with a 21/19 setup.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I automatically assume that people wanting dirt tires on a sumo want them for trail riding, gravel and 2-rut roads.

Real, actual dirt riding™ with 17" rims sucks because they arent long enough (diameter-wise) to traverse any seriously gnarly stuff.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

:toot:

Rode well on the 40 mile ride home, Any common mods I should do to it or anything I shoulder order from Motorcycle-superstore alongside my pants?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

Rode well on the 40 mile ride home, Any common mods I should do to it or anything I shoulder order from Motorcycle-superstore alongside my pants?

3x3 airbox, rejet, case covers or at least file down the sharp edge on the shifter are really good starts.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 13, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What he said, plus this stuff. TT is a great resource for all DRZ questions.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenchrono posted:

Was the PO the first owner? If so, call them back and find out if the loctite fixes have been done. Either way they need to be done, especially on the earlier bikes.

Also the above mentioned carb and airbox mods. Skip the dynojet kit and get the JD Jetting kit.

The appropriate springs make a huge difference when you're ready to go down that road. The stock springs are good up to about a 150lb rider. Above that and you will notice a big difference in a re-spring

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got my Seat Concepts seat on a couple days ago. It's a little firmer, but goddamn is it the perfect height for me. I was just a little bit too high before and now I can actually get on the bike without putting the kickstand down and climbing on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

I got my Seat Concepts seat on a couple days ago. It's a little firmer, but goddamn is it the perfect height for me. I was just a little bit too high before and now I can actually get on the bike without putting the kickstand down and climbing on.

How is it comfort-wise vs the oem seat? I've been thinking about getting one for the DRZ since I have the OEM seat, which I'll keep, and the Suzuki Gel Seat (aka the rear end destroyer) which can be used as a seat pan donor.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tenchrono posted:

Right about 30". It felt fine when I was riding it albeit a little weird since I haven't been on a bike in a few months.
Congratulations!
I've got a 30" inseam, stock suspension, and I weigh ~220#. You'll get used to it fast. I can't flat foot, but I can get both feet down enough to keep the bike upright. When I'm riding, I'll slide maybe a 1/4 cheek off the left side of the seat and can stay on the rear brake, and have the ball my left foot firmly planted.

Being able to see over (basically) every other car out there, and go over basically every obstacle that's in your way (Stuck in traffic? Hell no. Shortcut right over the curb, across a sidewalk, through a parking lot, through a gap in some bushes, down a sidewalk, over another curb, and back into smoothly flowing traffic!).

There's also a 5 gallon tank that I highly recommend. You'll ride FOREVER with it.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is it comfort-wise vs the oem seat? I've been thinking about getting one for the DRZ since I have the OEM seat, which I'll keep, and the Suzuki Gel Seat (aka the rear end destroyer) which can be used as a seat pan donor.

Dooooooooooooo it! It's firmer and wider than the stock seat on my Husky, and it really prevents any pressure points between butt and seat pan.

If I get my oil changed this week, I'll ride up to MKE next weekend and convince you.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Next thing for the DRZ is gonna be a set of tires that aren't dualsport Shinkos. I've been really happy with Avon tires on my other bikes, so I was looking at Distanzias. I do 95% of my riding on the road, and I would like something that feels a little bit more comfortable at the edge of the sidewall than a chinese trail tire. Should I just buy a set of Pilot Powers and call it a day?

Edit: Also, I really want to try out a black gas tank to complete the black and white on my bike. Not sure if I should plasti dip it, vinyl wrap it, or just sack up and paint it. I think I might start with the $5 can of plasti dip.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 14, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Wheeeee!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just ordered the JD kit, Can I do the 3x3 mod now or should I just wait until I get the kit in? Also, Can I remove the plastic/rubber fork covers or are those super important to have on?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

Just ordered the JD kit, Can I do the 3x3 mod now or should I just wait until I get the kit in? Also, Can I remove the plastic/rubber fork covers or are those super important to have on?

Do them both at the same time. And that's a question I'm not 100% on, but I think you might want something protecting the fork seals. They make stuff like this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/280/1059/-/6037/Seal-Savers-Fork-Covers that are a little less obnoxious than the boots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Next thing for the DRZ is gonna be a set of tires that aren't dualsport Shinkos. I've been really happy with Avon tires on my other bikes, so I was looking at Distanzias. I do 95% of my riding on the road, and I would like something that feels a little bit more comfortable at the edge of the sidewall than a chinese trail tire. Should I just buy a set of Pilot Powers and call it a day?

Edit: Also, I really want to try out a black gas tank to complete the black and white on my bike. Not sure if I should plasti dip it, vinyl wrap it, or just sack up and paint it. I think I might start with the $5 can of plasti dip.

95% road? Get pilot powers, never look back

Tenchrono posted:

If you do the 3x3 without the jet kit it will run terribly. Do them both at the same time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

95% road? Get pilot powers, never look back

I know Pilot Powers are fine tires for the street but are they really better than the Contiforce SM tires?

Having run a few sets of both I'd go Connies over the Powers. Purpose built for SM and they do everything excellent for about the same price the last time I priced a pair.

Tang_
May 8, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Do them both at the same time. And that's a question I'm not 100% on, but I think you might want something protecting the fork seals. They make stuff like this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/280/1059/-/6037/Seal-Savers-Fork-Covers that are a little less obnoxious than the boots.

Please dont use those neoprene fork protectors. They fill up with dirt and then act like sandpaper on your nice chrome forks. I'm going on 2 years without them on my dirtbike and am yet to get even a small leak, a little bit of maintenance goes a long way.

(yes, I do have normal plastic fork protectors though)

Tang_ fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 14, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

I know Pilot Powers are fine tires for the street but are they really better than the Contiforce SM tires?

Having run a few sets of both I'd go Connies over the Powers. Purpose built for SM and they do everything excellent for about the same price the last time I priced a pair.

They're probably pretty similar. I've never gotten into a situation where I thought the powers were lacking. I also really like the pilot power tire profile. It feels more comfortable to me than any other tire I've ever used.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So if I wanted to change the color of the DRZ completely, would a vinyl kit or a full plastics kit be more ideal?

Also RE: Loctite fixes. I'm pretty sure none of the PO's of the bike did the loctite fixes, is there a way to check if they've been done?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Vinyl is such a pain in the rear end, and you can pick up full acerbis plastics for like $100 bux.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

alk4life posted:

I found an '08 690SMC on craigslist, but it's pretty far away so I'd like to be pretty certain I'll buy it before committing to the trip.

Meant to type a reply to this but I guess I closed the window. Normal things to check with the owner would be oil maintenance (good synthetic), fluids (brake fluid/coolant), valve checks (~3000 mi), air filter, and tires.

Specific to the 690's, especially the 08's is the valve rocker arms bearings had issues, so I would ask about that. They run about ~$70 a piece so keep that in mind. I have an 08' and had to change one of mine. Also any remapping or exhaust changes should be noted. Ktm's always seem be quirky bikes, but definitely worth it.

Cool to see the new drz's popping up in the thread.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The only thing you'd have to deal with is the tank. Which is what I'm trying to figure out right now. Picked up $10 worth of plasti dip, I'll give it a shot after work tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Gah, haven't ridden my SM in too long. Went to go for a ride the other day and it wouldn't start, reading on SMJ suggests this is probably a gummed up fuel pump and i should just hit it till it starts. Might just fix it up, get it serviced and sell it off, just haven't had the time to ride it in the last 6 months.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Aargh posted:

Gah, haven't ridden my SM in too long. Went to go for a ride the other day and it wouldn't start, reading on SMJ suggests this is probably a gummed up fuel pump and i should just hit it till it starts. Might just fix it up, get it serviced and sell it off, just haven't had the time to ride it in the last 6 months.

This excuse is as lame as the excuses people used for not being able to back it in.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Trip report (?) on my Seat Concepts seat after a few hundred miles:

Would buy again. Looks way nicer, sits a little lower (I'm short - got the lowered version). Comfort level is marginally better, but noticeable. If I changed anything, I would get the Carbon Seat/Carbon Side rather than the Gripper Seat. It is a VERY grippy fabric and I've gotten my pant legs kinda hung up on it a few times. Minor gripe, but worth mentioning.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

n8r posted:

This excuse is as lame as the excuses people used for not being able to back it in.

Yep blame me getting a car and a change of living arrangements. Just don't have as much spare time anymore and don't ride to work. Once I get it fixed up I'll take it for a couple of rides before I make up my mind.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I was just thinking earlier today that I need to start learning to wheelie, as I'm getting pretty comfortable with the 690 - then I ride past a Google Street View car on the way home from work. :eng99:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You may as well not learn to wheelie. You can have the only un-wheelied 690 in existence, it will be worth a fortune.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up a Trail Tech Vapor #75-102 kit for my 625 SMC since the speedo has become unreadable.

Are there any online shops with coupons I should pick one up from, or do I order directly from Trail Tech?

Edit: It appears I can get it off of Amazon on Prime for $91, but the stealth/black model (#752-102) is on back order. :(

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 17, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I was just thinking earlier today that I need to start learning to wheelie, as I'm getting pretty comfortable with the 690 - then I ride past a Google Street View car on the way home from work. :eng99:

One day in a big parking lot will get you lifting the front wheel, the rest is just getting it higher and higher and dialing in getting it up and running it out. then, when you're comfortable and ballsy, maybe finding the balance point.

I learned giving it two revs, I rev once to know how much throttle twisting it will give me, then go on the second. It's not a great habit to build though so try to not do it after you start lifting the wheel. Wheelies are a lot more stable than you'd think, and even if you come down with the bars a little bent the bike will straighten it out of you don't fight it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

One day in a big parking lot will get you lifting the front wheel, the rest is just getting it higher and higher and dialing in getting it up and running it out. then, when you're comfortable and ballsy, maybe finding the balance point.

I learned giving it two revs, I rev once to know how much throttle twisting it will give me, then go on the second. It's not a great habit to build though so try to not do it after you start lifting the wheel. Wheelies are a lot more stable than you'd think, and even if you come down with the bars a little bent the bike will straighten it out of you don't fight it.

Yeah I have some excellent huge parking lots near me that are totally abandoned and invisible during the weekend, so I plan on doing just that soon. I was watching some YouTube videos on learning to wheelie, and it seems you can either power wheelie or clutch wheelie. What do you find best for a sumo? The good wheelie tutorials seem to be largely sportbikes; most of the sumo videos I found were essentially 20-minute spergfests on unrelated topics:

:words: SO WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A DRZ 400 WITH 3x3 AIRBOX MODS AND I'VE MODIFIED THE HANDLEBARS BUT THIS ROAD IS KINDA GRAVELLY AND-*ten minutes later some relevant information*SHOUTOUT TO ROCKETMAN41 WHO'S VIDEOS TAUGHT ME TO WHEELIE

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah I have some excellent huge parking lots near me that are totally abandoned and invisible during the weekend, so I plan on doing just that soon. I was watching some YouTube videos on learning to wheelie, and it seems you can either power wheelie or clutch wheelie. What do you find best for a sumo? The good wheelie tutorials seem to be largely sportbikes; most of the sumo videos I found were essentially 20-minute spergfests on unrelated topics:

:words: SO WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A DRZ 400 WITH 3x3 AIRBOX MODS AND I'VE MODIFIED THE HANDLEBARS BUT THIS ROAD IS KINDA GRAVELLY AND-*ten minutes later some relevant information*SHOUTOUT TO ROCKETMAN41 WHO'S VIDEOS TAUGHT ME TO WHEELIE

Clutch up, for sure. Get yourself rolling 10-20 mph in second gear, pull in the clutch, and give it some revs while letting the clutch out fast. I usually rev up twice, once to just get the feel for revving up the engine, but it is a sloppy habit. If you did it with too little revs, it'll just hop a little. That's ok. If you let out the clutch slow or late, you're just scared. Remember you'll probably just give it too little gas anyway and hop the front tire. If the wheel comes up a little, good job. Don't push it too fast. Just start bringing it up a little, whatever feels comfortable, and trying to ride it out. Riding it out might not come the first day, you'll probably be popping the front tire up and down.

Remember, while covering the back brake is a good habit to get into, as a beginner pulling in the clutch will drop the front just as good and not run the risk of locking the rear tire if you panic. You're probably not gonna get close enough to balance point to make it necessary. Also, rolling at 20mph will require more throttle to bring the tire up than 10mph. You can slide your butt back to make it easier, but I usually just sat in a neutral position to learn, I wasn't tryin to 12oclock it after all.

You'll probably find at a certain point in your practice session you start getting shittier, you might not even be able to bring the front off the ground. It just means you're tired and maybe still a little nervous. Take the rest of the day off and try again the next day when you want it again. And you will, bringing up the front is a lot of fun.

• Locked thread