Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is a thing: http://testyourmight.com/threads/kdz-claims-the-reason-gf-werent-hype-was-major-skill-gap.35699/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
That kind of makes KDZ look like an rear end in a top hat as everyone rushes to defend DJT but KDZ is a pretty cool dude. This interview he gave with gootecks after winning might paint a better or at least more humble picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0P2k3O3OCQ

If Chris G hadn't gotten murdered by matchup inexperience vs DJT's gimmicks, I do think Winner's and Grand Finals would have been much more competitive. The GF set between KDZ and Chris G at Fenway earlier in the month was great.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 16, 2013

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
KDZ will always be that obnoxious guy who popped off at CEO and killed a chair to me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

An addendum: http://testyourmight.com/threads/kdz-claims-the-reason-gf-werent-hype-was-major-skill-gap.35699/page-9#post-1018745

To be honest, if I were in KDZ's shoes and trying to be excited about winning a tournament while being booed by hypocrites throughout the entire Top 8 for picking a top tier and playing him at the highest level, I could see myself making similar comments, too.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Giedroyc posted:

KDZ will always be that obnoxious guy who popped off at CEO and killed a chair to me.

That poor mangled chair. It had a family. :bahgawd:

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Boy, Test Your Might is just an awful, awful place. :toxx:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The only good forum that I know of on that entire site is Bane, and it's mostly because there's this guy named Doombawkz who is just an endless fountain of positivity, ideas, and knows the character pretty well, too. I really wanted to see him make the Top 8 but unfortunately he got crushed in pools, bummer. For a while Bane was the most active character forum on the site, which is pretty funny considering he's widely perceived as a worthless jobber character, but a cadre of higher-level Bane players were working out combos and advice and setups and things and it was really nice to see.

Wading into TestYourMight general threads is just awful, it's the same type of poo poo you see everywhere else where half the people raise a lot of points - most bullshit, some not - and the other half tells them to shut up about it. Depressing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hey, guys.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER

Alias: J'onn J'onzz, John Jones, Fernus the Burning, Bloodwynd, Bronze Wraith and dozens of others
First Appearance: Detective Comics #225 (1955)
Powers: Super strength, speed, shape-shifting, telepathy, invisibility, laser vision, flight, intangibility
Other Media: Was a big player in the Justice League cartoon, showed up on some of the different Batman cartoons and starred in the terrible live-action Justice League pilot/movie.

Years ago, Patton Oswalt wrote a graphic novel called JLA: Welcome to the Working Week, where the main character – existing as Oswalt's mouthpiece – referred to Martian Manhunter as the Bob Dylan to Superman's Elvis Presley. When you're a kid, you love the optimistic spitcurl, but when you get older, you start to appreciate the more serious giant brow. Martian Manhunter is a great foil for Superman, mainly different in that he was an adult when he made his exodus from his dying planet and that affects him differently.

The original origin was that J'onn J'onnz, a Martian lawman, was accidentally transported to Earth thanks to an experiment by Dr. Erdel. While Erdel would have been able to send him back, the shock of seeing this Martian caused him to have a heart attack and die. In the original continuity, Mars was still populated, so J'onn was driven by his quest to return. Back then, the idea of shipping a guy to Mars, even in a superhero world, was considered rather difficult. How novel.

J'onn used his shape-shifting abilities to take the identity of John Jones (get it?) and became a detective who would use his powers to give him the edge. His appearance as Martian Manhunter was meant to be a middle-ground version between Martian and human, being the best of both worlds. He joined the Justice League, used mainly as a stand-in for when the publishers felt Superman was being used way too much. For decades, J'onn was considered to be THE staple member of the Justice League. He appeared in nearly every incarnation of the team, which offset how little juice he had in carrying his own solo series, no matter how many times they tried.

Eventually, J'onn was reunited with his people and went on to rule Mars. He was written out of comics for a while until being brought back into the Justice League fold. I seem to remember that he had to save Earth from his own people in the final adventure of the classic "Satellite-Era Justice League" (ie. the original version of the team that started in the 60's and ended in the 80's). There was a part where he challenged another Martian to a fight and while the narrative strictly said that they were both invisible during this fight, the artist drew them like normal anyway.

Things got pretty dark for Martian Manhunter around this time. He was on the outs with his race. He joined the infamously bad Justice League Detroit (otherwise known as Aquaman leading a team of angsty teenagers) and ended up becoming the leader towards the end, only to have a couple of the kids tragically die on his watch. Then after Crisis on Infinite Earths changed continuity, it also reshaped J'onn's origin. J'onn's insane brother unleashed a plague upon Mars that wiped out everyone but J'onn himself. Not only did Dr. Erdel's machine pull him from space, but also from time. The destruction of Mars was thousands of years ago. Like Superman, he was the last of his kind... until they brought in guys who were also Martians down the line.

It picked up for J'onn, though. He had a big role in Justice League International, known for being the fun and funny era. He mainly played the straight man to jokey characters Guy Gardner, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Thanks to Captain Marvel, he was also turned onto Oreo cookies (later renamed Chocos due to trademark) and became addicted. He also led his own Justice League side-team called Justice League: Task Force and nothing of note came from that other than the time he temporarily turned himself female.

Every now and then, J'onn and the Justice League would have to face the White Martians, a genetic offshoot who were more dedicated to war while the Green Martians were more peaceful. The most famous of these battles was the beginning of Grant Morrison's Justice League run where a team of superheroes came to Earth to create a utopia while antagonizing the Justice League. Batman figured out that they were White Martians in disguise and easily defeated them thanks to their weakness of fire.

Fire is something all Martians fear, though it's shown to be more of a psychological weakness than physiological. In other words, fire only hurts J'onn because he lets it. He briefly got together with a reformed fire-based villain named Scorch, who helped him get over his fear of fire. This turned out disastrous. We found out that eons ago, when the Martians were still primitive life forms, they were both bloodthirsty and virtually unstoppable. The Guardians of the Universe (Green Lantern's bosses) were concerned with what this would mean if the Martians could evolve to figure out space flight. They intervened and subdued the entire race, injecting them all with a fear of fire as a way to keep them all in check.

No longer bound by this gigantic weakness, J'onn became corrupted by this savage, forgotten piece of his bloodline. He became a beast known as Fernus the Burning and showed that he was really the most powerful member of the League all along, as even Superman was helpless against him. Turned out Batman had a solution to this situation as well by siccing Plastic Man on him. Plastic Man's immune to mind control and has a better grasp on shapeshifting, so he was able to help take down the mad Martian. J'onn and Fernus were separated from each other as two different identities in the end.

Nothing much happened with J'onn for a while. After Infinite Crisis, he got a new look that looked closer to his pure Martian form, mainly due to his pessimism towards humanity. This was for his new solo series which once again sold like poo poo and was canceled. J'onn was killed by Libra and the Secret Society of Supervillains in the story Final Crisis. Sweetly enough, Batman visited J'onn's tomb and left a single Choco cookie.

J'onn returned from the grave during Blackest Night as one of the more unbeatable walking corpses. At the end of the story, he was one of the dozen characters fully resurrected. J'onn then starred in the series Brightest Day, where he was able to make Mars fertile again and ended up clashing with an insane Green Martian D'kay. J'onn had to kill D'kay and destroy the budding life on Mars, showing that in the end, Earth was his only true home.

With the New 52 reboot, J'onn had never joined the Justice League in the past but instead was part of Stormwatch, a cloak and dagger superhero organization. There, J'onn fought against evil from the shadows, but eventually left the team and removed all their memories of him being there in the first place. Since then, Martian Manhunter has been brought into the Justice League of America, the US government's personal team meant to counter the regular Justice League if they ever get out of line. Martian Manhunter is there to deal with Superman.

Probably the saddest depiction of J'onn is in Kingdom Come, the dystopian future storyline. In order to give Superman vs. Captain Marvel more gravitas, J'onn had to be taken off the table. He appeared in one scene to aid Batman, depicted as a gibbering and mentally broken John Jones who could barely function after trying to open his mind to all of humanity. Poor guy.

One of the better Martian Manhunter stories is New Frontier, which exists as both a wonderful graphic novel and a pretty good animated film. When showing off his hybrid superhero appearance to a human friend, he was flatly told, "Real men wear pants." And that's a fair point because, really, what the hell is that outfit?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gavok posted:

Hey, guys.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER

You need to post the full size version of that image. For scientific reasons, naturally. :colbert:

Also, you forgot that time Ted Kord stole MM's Chocos.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Martian Manhunter also has one of the saddest moments in the JLU show when he's hypnotized into believing he's back home with his family, and everything is great but its not :(

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm in the room buffguystoughboyspowerdudes on xbl looking to 1v1. There's a really good Wonder Woman in the room who I want to fight but she's in a KOTH and I'm not in a waiting mood.

Also extremely excited for MM.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gavok posted:

Hey, guys.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER

Seriously, these are Thread Highlights all the time, every time.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
This video is the best summary of Martian Mahunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-edqockL90

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I like J'onn's current duds cause they look sufficiently alien enough, but I did really like his post Infinite Crisis look:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally stopped being stubborn/lazy and put in some time with Batman, and surprise surprise he's pretty fun. He also has a nice hat thanks to the Red Son outfit.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Gavok posted:

Probably the saddest depiction of J'onn is in Kingdom Come, the dystopian future storyline. In order to give Superman vs. Captain Marvel more gravitas, J'onn had to be taken off the table. He appeared in one scene to aid Batman, depicted as a gibbering and mentally broken John Jones who could barely function after trying to open his mind to all of humanity. Poor guy.

There was a time when the only thing I had read with J'onn in were Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Strikes Again, neither of which are his best moments so it took me a while to appreciate J'onn. I like him much more now though, largely because of JLU. I can't wait to use him in Injustice.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Hope he gets a Bloodwynd skin!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I finally stopped being stubborn/lazy and put in some time with Batman, and surprise surprise he's pretty fun. He also has a nice hat thanks to the Red Son outfit.

I find there's little more satisfying than jumping in and countering their anti-air with his anti-anti-air.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

This video is the best summary of Martian Mahunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-edqockL90

Here's a more flattering portrayal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWqqvYo61MA

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I only know about Martian Manhunter because I had an action figure of a green man as a kid and found out as an adult that it was something called Martian Manhunter.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Ha Ha! Wonder Woman is presenting in her new Ami-Comi skin when she looses.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Gtg have dinner zombiesrock, good games! I really need to work on my execution with batgirl, figures the one time I get a clash it's entirely on accident. :downs:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
No problem, it was fun fighting you. :D

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hey guys! How do I get the Luchador mask and the Superman Head (statue) icons?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys! How do I get the Luchador mask and the Superman Head (statue) icons?

The Lucha mask icon is from Bane, you either have to finish all of his STAR Labs missions (Just 1-star on each) or you need to complete one of the challenge mode things with him, I can't remember which it is.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Speaking of the STARZ Lab missions, is there some big secret to getting 3 stars that I'm missing? I get that on some I'm just not fast enough or didn't do enough damage, but there's seriously one mission that is just 4 button presses and I did it about 8 times, getting 2 stars each time. It's infuritating.

Do 3 stars even matter? Should I just take my 1-stars and be done with it?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
3 stars on everything gets you that ugly rear end Flash skin, so no, it's not worth it. Just 1 star everything if you must.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The only reason to get 3 stars is if you really want a new icon/background for that character or if you get 3 stars on all of them. All 3 on every mission gets you a pretty sick looking Flash outfit, but god help you if you decide to go down that long and horrible road. Alternatively, getting at least 1 star on every mission gets you a neat looking Lex Luthor outfit.

Visual aides!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 17, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VarrosAnon posted:

Speaking of the STARZ Lab missions, is there some big secret to getting 3 stars that I'm missing? I get that on some I'm just not fast enough or didn't do enough damage, but there's seriously one mission that is just 4 button presses and I did it about 8 times, getting 2 stars each time. It's infuritating.

It's not a quality measure. There are actually 3 objectives to hit, one star each.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I want that Luthor but gently caress STAR labs

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Kneel before Zod: http://www.twitch.tv/streamofthehut

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
None of the people in that stream chat would fight me and, so, I assume they are all too scared.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

They're also the biggest group of whiny bitches on the planet.

:qq: Superman is too good! KDZ sucks! My character deserves to be better! Patch everything! This game is too easy! :qq:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

VarrosAnon posted:

You don't have to get all 3 stars in one go. You can aim for a certain objective, beat the mission, then replay it for a different star.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Does anyone actually get any serious use out of the meter burn on Wonder Woman's forward-heavy charge attack. I like that attack, but I don't think I've ever felt the need to add armour to it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
MB B3s and F3s are for when you know your opponent is going to throw out a normal and you can armor through it and get a combo on them. EG: If Superman is F23xxBreath-ing you, you can MB B3 after the breath if you think he's going to do another F23.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

WarEternal posted:

MB B3s and F3s are for when you know your opponent is going to throw out a normal and you can armor through it and get a combo on them. EG: If Superman is F23xxBreath-ing you, you can MB B3 after the breath if you think he's going to do another F23.

Speaking of Supes, it drove me completely insane how no one, and I mean no one tried to do this against KDZ during the EVO finals. Some people really do need to level up.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Krad posted:

Speaking of Supes, it drove me completely insane how no one, and I mean no one tried to do this against KDZ during the EVO finals. Some people really do need to level up.

Yup, there's really tons of simple poo poo that "pros" should be doing and are not doing. I can't count how many times I've seen optimal places for using clash (eg: them being well ahead on meter and at the beginning of the combo you know will do big damage, and yes it's one that would be clashable and not something like Green Arrow's unclashable damage after super) and then they either just don't clash at all, or they'll eat 90% of the combo and then clash it. There's also still people who will use their entire meter for the extra 3% when they could have used that bar for a MB B3 into full combo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got stomped by a rushdown Batman that spammed trait bats at me while he jumped in on a very ambiguous crossup (I don't think even he knew which side it was going to hit on). D2 obviously doesn't work in this situation, so even though I knew it was coming I couldn't find a way out. I haven't had a chance to go to the lab, but does anyone have any advice on where I should start on this one? I tried d2, backdashing, or neutral jump 1 or 2 and I was either trading, losing ground, or getting full-combo'd. Thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Batman's J2 hitbox is pretty much just supreme bullshit, especially online. Which character are you playing?

• Locked thread