Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

david_a posted:

Fire and Ice was better than I expected, but then again I despised Wizards (not on Netflix) so that wasn't too hard... The animation was pretty good.

Loved Fire and Ice, and was a little weirded out by Wizards also. A Scanner Darkly is another (modern) rotoscope movie that I really like. The original story was written by Phil Dick.

Also, just finished Continuum, which I loved. Sure, there were a few things that could've been better, and it dragged just a bit in episodes 6-8, but it was very original, the tech was really cool, the special effects were pretty drat good, and I really liked the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mescal posted:

Of course he's not dead, and faking the jump would be a fairly easy illusion to perform. In the books, Sherlock really died because Conan Doyle was sick of the character. Then he came back because he changed his mind and it was all a trick within the retcon storyline. The specifics of the explanation will be different for obvious reasons. I think it'd be cool if he stayed "dead" for an episode to explore the other characters' worlds more deeply, but that probably won't happen.

He changed his mind because people would not stop badgering him in the streets begging for the return of Holmes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DressCodeBlue posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but did anyone else's instant queue just disappear?

That happened to me a while back and then it just reappeared a few minutes later. I just checked and mine is still there.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

The Crownlands are not one of the Seven Kingdoms :colbert:

Neither are the Riverlands, but they're part of The Seven Kingdoms.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but did anyone else's instant queue just disappear?

On PS3 I was having my recently viewed bar not show up along with a few other random recommendation bars.

Oh and everyone complaining about people that don't read ASOIAF forgot the worst one. People that think her name is Khaleesi.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Hey, guy who's unsure on whether to watch the X-files I don't know how old you are but the only acceptable reason not to start marathoning that poo poo as soon as you get Netflix is if you're still in high school and were 3 when the goddamn thing finished.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Bolek posted:

Hey, guy who's unsure on whether to watch the X-files I don't know how old you are but the only acceptable reason not to start marathoning that poo poo as soon as you get Netflix is if you're still in high school and were 3 when the goddamn thing finished.

It finished when I was ten, does that count? I'm afraid that it's going to be bad-90s.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

X-Files (at least the earlier seasons) is a classic. I meet up with friends to watch two or three episodes every week. It's got some weak episodes but it's overall rather solid.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I watched all of Orange Is The New Black over the past few days and really enjoyed it. The first few episodes try too hard to be a comedy and mostly fail at it, but starting around episode 4 it becomes more of a straight drama
and really turns itself around.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hate when shows start as comedies and then turn into dramas. I always get the feeling the writers were kind of lovely and realized that comedy is hard and they gave up after a few shows. Let's just have everyone look real dour now and act like every little thing is monumental tragedy that people get sad/empowered over.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

precision posted:

Yeah it's on the American Netflix. Assume that guy is in Canada.

Well Finland, but I'm using American Netflix. And yeah, there it is now. But it wasn't when I last looked, I got a big "Mushi-Shi isn't available for streaming" notice :psyduck:

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Josh Wow posted:

I watched all of Orange Is The New Black over the past few days and really enjoyed it. The first few episodes try too hard to be a comedy and mostly fail at it, but starting around episode 4 it becomes more of a straight drama
and really turns itself around.

Yeah. I withdraw my previous comments. I watched the season finale last night, and it was really impressive. Overall, it's a good show.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Everyone should watch at least the first 3 seasons of The X-files.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Now somebody's going to want to defend National Geographic, probably because the magazines carry a lot of cache, but before you do, please watch Secrets of the Viking Sword.

There was about 15 minutes worth of interesting history of metallurgy mixed in with 45 minutes of terrible 'drama' about whether the dude's sword would turn out ok. Also the guy at the lab that tested the metal was hilariously vague: 'I've been doing this for 25 years and I say not too shabby'.

That topic could've been done so much better.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The magazine is super great though.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So Hulu just added Klown, the TV series.

It's basically like the movie, a raunchy Curb your Enthusiasm centered around terrible, terrible human beings.

If http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d78253d1cd/merry-christmas-frank makes you laugh, you'll love the show. If not, move on, it's not your type of humor.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 16, 2013

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

So hey have you guys seen anything good streaming on Netflix?

I mean openings and bad shows are awesome. But. Netflix.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was recently added. It's George Clooney's directorial debut and features a really strong performance from Sam Rockwell playing the role of Chuck Barris of "The Gong Show" fame. It's quirky and fun, give it a shot.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I know it's :siren:anime:siren:, but Netflix just added Tokyo Godfathers and it's really good and you should watch it if you haven't and should watch it again if you have.

Edit: Also, A Monster in Paris is up. It's a CGI movie made in France. The only thing I know about it is this song is in it and it's pretty great. Sadly, it's the English dub that is up. Sorrow.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sand Monster posted:

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was recently added. It's George Clooney's directorial debut and features a really strong performance from Sam Rockwell playing the role of Chuck Barris of "The Gong Show" fame. It's quirky and fun, give it a shot.

I really like this film, and never thought it got the kudos it deserved. Sam Rockwells epiphany of creating the Gong Show and murderous rampage set to "If I Had A Hammer" is still one of my favourite moments in film.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DressCodeBlue posted:

I'd say 1/3 of mine disappeared between Saturday and Monday. Not sure exactly when.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

FLEXBONER posted:

Everyone should watch at least the first 3 seasons of The X-files.
Then take a bathroom break, come back, and watch the other seasons too.

The X-Files are fantastic entertainment.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
Recommending September 30, 1955, an American Grafitti-influenced movie about a college kid (played by a very good Richard Thomas) who is in love with James Dean and goes kind of crazy the day he dies. Makes good use of its Southern setting and supporting roles by Lisa Blount, Tom Hulce, and Dennis Quaid.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sand Monster posted:

Thanks for this recommendation, that was a great movie. I'm not sure why they classified it as a comedy though. It got pretty dark in places.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra was just added. I wouldn't call it good, but it's definitely worth at least checking out if you enjoy the sort of crappy 50s sci-fi movies where space teenagers fight forced perspective lobster monsters.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AGirlWonder posted:

It finished when I was ten, does that count? I'm afraid that it's going to be bad-90s.

The X-Files has very few episodes that would qualify as "bad-90s" and they were episodes that weren't even liked back in the day either, like S2E7 "3".

OK Octopus posted:

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra was just added. I wouldn't call it good, but it's definitely worth at least checking out if you enjoy the sort of crappy 50s sci-fi movies where space teenagers fight forced perspective lobster monsters.

Wouldn't call it good? Lies, this movie is amazing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OK Octopus posted:

It should probably be noted that the movie is a parody of the sort of movies described, rather than a straight example. Also the movie kind of peters out, but it has a lot of heart and some great lines and scenes. I'd recommend it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lost Skeleton is kinda cool, but as a person who loves cheesy 50s sci fi movies I'd rather watch one then a parody of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Personperson14 posted:

Lost Skeleton is kinda cool, but as a person who loves cheesy 50s sci fi movies I'd rather watch one then a parody of it.

You could just watch Equinox, which is a totally sincere version of LSOC and is also way funnier.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

Thanks for this recommendation, that was a great movie. I'm not sure why they classified it as a comedy though. It got pretty dark in places.

A neat story for how they did the famous scene transition for when Rockwell's character thinks up the concept for the Dating Game:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/mar03/confessions/index.html

Basically a really creative practical effect that used multiple sets built on a rotating sort of lazy susan setup.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks for tricking me into watching The Bay, thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I apologize if I missed any previous discussion, but what did people think of End of Watch? I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I usually like David Ayer's LAPD-related movies, but this one was the most visceral-feeling because it seemed so accurate. I doubt cops encounter so many exciting and dangerous situations on a daily basis, but I have to imagine that Ayer captured the experience of being a cop in a bad part of a big city. Gyllenhaal and Pena's bond of friendship and brotherhood was really fantastic -- they convinced me they loved each other as brothers and would do anything to have each other's backs.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I apologize if I missed any previous discussion, but what did people think of End of Watch? I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I usually like David Ayer's LAPD-related movies, but this one was the most visceral-feeling because it seemed so accurate. I doubt cops encounter so many exciting and dangerous situations on a daily basis, but I have to imagine that Ayer captured the experience of being a cop in a bad part of a big city. Gyllenhaal and Pena's bond of friendship and brotherhood was really fantastic -- they convinced me they loved each other as brothers and would do anything to have each other's backs.

I really liked it but I can't articulate why. The script, photography direction, and acting weren't perfect--the gangsters' acting was awful, in fact--but it added up to a really fun and interesting movie. I'm convinced that editing is the #1 make-or-break factor for a movie's quality. After the first 15 minutes the editing (and therefore the pacing) is great.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Drunkboxer posted:

What, you didn't love the narrator or the lovely production values?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drunkboxer posted:

Movie is unironically awesome, I don't see the problem here.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

WarEternal posted:

The X-Files has very few episodes that would qualify as "bad-90s" and they were episodes that weren't even liked back in the day either, like S2E7 "3".
GHOST IN THE MACHINE argh. Also that episode way later where they go into a video game is so 90s it hurts. It even has a character that is supposed to be Thresh.

The first season has some pretty cool episodes. I'm about half-way through S2 and I find it to be a bit more of a slog; I don't know if I'm just in rough patch or what. I fully intend to abandon the series after they switch filming from Vancouver to LA.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My biggest surprise of 2012. I really like Ayer but still didn't expect to love this movie so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"First Person Shooter" is an X-Files episode that is the epitome of "90s as gently caress", and it's even worse because it was written by William Gibson, who generally knows better and even his own literal 90s novels weren't "90s as gently caress" at all.

I mean, I guess there was superficial stuff like yeah in Mona Lisa Overdrive Molly still had mirror shades, but the focus of that book was more on weird Japanese Yakuza poo poo and white trash and some guys building robots in an abandoned factory, and then he did the Bridge Trilogy which was closer to "science fact" than "science fiction" and I don't know where I'm going with this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just stick with the show till Alex Krycek leaves, no his ghost showing up in the finale doesn't count as an appearance because it never happened.

david_a posted:

GHOST IN THE MACHINE argh. Also that episode way later where they go into a video game is so 90s it hurts. It even has a character that is supposed to be Thresh.

The first season has some pretty cool episodes. I'm about half-way through S2 and I find it to be a bit more of a slog; I don't know if I'm just in rough patch or what. I fully intend to abandon the series after they switch filming from Vancouver to LA.

But then you will miss out on The Unnatural, which is one of the best episodes of the show.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

david_a posted:

This is a dumb thing you're planning to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

"First Person Shooter" is an X-Files episode that is the epitome of "90s as gently caress", and it's even worse because it was written by William Gibson, who generally knows better and even his own literal 90s novels weren't "90s as gently caress" at all.

I mean, I guess there was superficial stuff like yeah in Mona Lisa Overdrive Molly still had mirror shades, but the focus of that book was more on weird Japanese Yakuza poo poo and white trash and some guys building robots in an abandoned factory, and then he did the Bridge Trilogy which was closer to "science fact" than "science fiction" and I don't know where I'm going with this.

Both of the William Gibson episodes are godawful.

• Locked thread