Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Is there any way to link my non-steam TSW to Steam so I can get the cards?

I have no idea but I don't think so at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Secret World's model is one of the best. It's almost a waste of your money to sub.

You get $10 in currency per month, so that $5 left of the sub basically buys you the one subscriber item (which used to be cool but pubbies got to it and it will probably suck most of the time now) and an XP boost.

You also earn veteran points but the veteran selection sucks.

Sounds great, I guess I'll take advantage of the Steam sale!

Nope, can't do, it seems Valve doesn't want Latin Americans playing The Secret World, since it's not available for me

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did all you cool kids get your Secret World Steam Trading Cards yet?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How pervasive is the cash shop in this game? I've had half an eye on it for a while but only recently upgraded to a computer that should run it (3Ghz i7, 16gb RAM, 2Gb GT 630) and now it's only $15 on Steam as a daily sale. I'm real tempted to pull the trigger on it, I'm just worried it'll suck me in like SWTOR did and have me spending a bunch more money in the cash shop.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

WarLocke posted:

How pervasive is the cash shop in this game?
Mission packs are interesting and have nice rewards, but nothing you can't get in far more boring ways like AoEing Weekend Warriors to death.

Aside from that, if you don't want cosmetic items, you can safely ignore it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

Mission packs are interesting and have nice rewards, but nothing you can't get in far more boring ways like AoEing Weekend Warriors to death.

Aside from that, if you don't want cosmetic items, you can safely ignore it.

Decent goon presence or would I be going in solo?

Sorry, am reading the thread but like 800 posts behind.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

WarLocke posted:

Decent goon presence or would I be going in solo?

Sorry, am reading the thread but like 800 posts behind.
Get on Mumble if you want to do stuff, you can often find people but you might have difficulty at low levels. Grouping for missions isn't really a thing except for Transylvania signet missions (largely because there's very little incentive to roll alts), but with a decent spec you can tear through leveling content pretty effortlessly.

Also I just remembered that some of the signet rewards need a token you only get from issue 6 and 7 missions, but I don't know if those are even the best signets, and if they are then the difference is marginal.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

OneEightHundred posted:

Get on Mumble if you want to do stuff, you can often find people but you might have difficulty at low levels. Grouping for missions isn't really a thing except for Transylvania signet missions (largely because there's very little incentive to roll alts), but with a decent spec you can tear through leveling content pretty effortlessly.

Also I just remembered that some of the signet rewards need a token you only get from issue 6 and 7 missions, but I don't know if those are even the best signets, and if they are then the difference is marginal.

The mission packs are great, there really isn't a good reason not to buy them unless you hate fun, and the two latest issues give you vendors with repeatable quests that, in addition to the story quests (which in their way continue the main story of the game, Issue 7 especially), tokens for some easy purpz when you hit max level.

Not that that's why you should play the game, though I do eventually want to see the New York raid. :negative: The clothes are pretty great, but if spending :10bux: to be a pretty princess or a cosmonaut isn't your bag, it's entirely optional. But just keep in mind that for the "minor" updates at least (no word on how Tokyo will work), you'll be paying :10bux: for what would usually be fifteen clams' worth per month in another game.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
You do get 1200 free points for finishing your first 30 missions, so can get one of your mission packs 'free'.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

I just bought this off Steam and my girlfriend was going to share the account with me. Is there any reason she wouldn't be able to just grab the game client off Funcom's site or whatever and use my login info?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Charles De Mar posted:

I just bought this off Steam and my girlfriend was going to share the account with me. Is there any reason she wouldn't be able to just grab the game client off Funcom's site or whatever and use my login info?

None. She can log onto your Funcom account from her computer and it should have the option to download the client somewhere.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Protagorean posted:

None. She can log onto your Funcom account from her computer and it should have the option to download the client somewhere.

Cool, thanks dude.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I've been reading up on this thread while Steam downloaded the game (and now the patcher is running again, wtf), and while I'm pretty much convinced I want to go Illuminati I can't decide what weapon(s) to take. I'm not a big fan of AR simply because that's such a common vidja game weapon. Would something like Fist/Blood or Fist/Elemental or Pistol/Elemental work? Fist/Chaos? I'm just going by what the names of each 'sound' like they'd do, I have no idea about in-game abilities.

Also kind of worried about finding a decent 'nickname' this late after release, but meh, that's what I get for being late to the train I guess.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

WarLocke posted:

Also kind of worried about finding a decent 'nickname' this late after release, but meh, that's what I get for being late to the train I guess.

I wanted to use the last name of a Dutch computer scientist (Edsger Dijkstra) and it was taken, so good luck.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

WarLocke posted:

I've been reading up on this thread while Steam downloaded the game (and now the patcher is running again, wtf), and while I'm pretty much convinced I want to go Illuminati I can't decide what weapon(s) to take. I'm not a big fan of AR simply because that's such a common vidja game weapon. Would something like Fist/Blood or Fist/Elemental or Pistol/Elemental work? Fist/Chaos? I'm just going by what the names of each 'sound' like they'd do, I have no idea about in-game abilities.

Every single combination imaginable will work for solo content, you only need to worry when it comes to group content. If you wanna aim to have a particular role when you reach q10 then pick sword/hammer for tanking, fist/pistol for healing and any combo of ar/pistol/shotgun/elemental/blood for dps. Pistol/shotgun would probably be the best to pick till you know what you are doing.

WarLocke posted:

Don't worry there is plenty left, there is a reason it's an almost dead game(funcom lol).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I had to go through like five different Sumerian mythological figures before settling on one for an alt I made. At this point all the easy first-stringers are taken, and we're working through the good B-listers.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I started a character (Jane "Jhaele" Brahm, Illuminati on Grim) and played through the introduction up through the hypnosis combat tutorial bit. Haha what the gently caress have I gotten into. :stare:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Jeffrey Combs put you on an acid trip. If this game wasn't half-dead, we'd have bought it a smiley that's :TSW: (probably :funcompetence: or something of that ken first though).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Protagorean posted:

Jeffrey Combs put you on an acid trip. If this game wasn't half-dead, we'd have bought it a smiley that's :TSW: (probably :funcompetence: or something of that ken first though).

The game still gets right to the top of Steam's top sellers when there's a sale on (not so much today, but it was competing with a lot of highly acclaimed games), I definitely think we're underestimating the strength of the game.

The trouble is that we're both seeing a really bad slump in the game development cycle (according to one of the devs on the main forums, the Transylvania DLC had really hindered development because of the big shift to NorCal; it's all sorted now) and that TSW's a bit hard to quantify the success of by MMO standards. I think it's succeeding on a level closer to a conventional game, with most people buying and playing for short stints rather than subscribng for the long haul.

It's also really hard to judge the game's success, period, compared to its competitors. It's the top selling MMO on Steam, I think only really competing in that field with Defiance. I'm sure that's a very nice feather in its cap, but that is literally the only hard reference we actually have to the game's successes.

But personally, I'm happy to say 'game's doing just goddamn fine', because at least we're not Champions Online. Their big happy news this year? They actually sort of have a development team now.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cleretic posted:

I had to go through like five different Sumerian mythological figures before settling on one for an alt I made.
Lilith has a lot of names, but not enough for everyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WarLocke posted:

So I started a character (Jane "Jhaele" Brahm, Illuminati on Grim) and played through the introduction up through the hypnosis combat tutorial bit. Haha what the gently caress have I gotten into. :stare:

You've gotten into adding Jeyte as a friend.

Because yes, I am that unoriginal. :colbert:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Rookersh posted:

You've gotten into adding Jeyte as a friend.

Because yes, I am that unoriginal. :colbert:

I'll be joining the party as soon as the game is installed too, fellow SWTOR goons !

So from what I heard there is no way to really gently caress up your character during creation ?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Well, you could pick Dragon.

I'm kidding, Dragon is fine if you like the concept more than the other two. Goons like Illuminati because they get the most comedy. Templar get the best headquarters and missions. The writing for Dragon is still top notch, but it's not funny as often as Illuminati and their faction HQ is sort of lovely because they were implemented very close to launch and were a bit rushed, as I understand it.

Anyway, faction is the only thing of import to pick at creation. Everything else can be altered later. Except maybe height? And gender and name, of course.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 17, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Faction, gender and first/last name are fixed. Nickname changes cost funbux and character height can be surgically altered in NY.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd argue that Illuminati are tied with Templars on missions, largely because of the Pyramidion/useful cosmetic stuff you get from them. ( Headlamp :3: )

Are Alex/Sarah also Guardians, or are they just normal people? I'm guessing Zubari is also a Guardian, considering how he acts.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Well, I'd argue that Dragon are also tied on missions, in that case. Because you also get a headlamp as well as getting to interrupt Orochi CEO sex, save a pro starcraft player from being turned into a mindwashed codebreaker or something, and investigate a haunted mental asylum.

But Virgula Divina is still the best faction mission.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

orcane posted:

Faction, gender and first/last name are fixed.
Oh nuts, the only thing I'd change are my first and last names. I wanted a rename to do that. At the time I made the character I just wanted to hurry up and play, and that's sort of reflected in what I picked.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Well, I'd argue that Dragon are also tied on missions, in that case. Because you also get a headlamp as well as getting to interrupt Orochi CEO sex, save a pro starcraft player from being turned into a mindwashed codebreaker or something, and investigate a haunted mental asylum.

But Virgula Divina is still the best faction mission.

Ok, fine, I'll make a Templar and Dragon eventually. :suicide:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Rookersh posted:

Are Alex/Sarah also Guardians, or are they just normal people? I'm guessing Zubari is also a Guardian, considering how he acts.

The team from the tutorial are all bees, as far as we know. Alex and Sarah are Illuminati, Mei Ling is Dragon, and Rose is Templar. Zuberi seems to be factionless.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

The three you meet in the Tokyo future vision; Alex is an Illuminati, Rose is a Templar and Mei is a Dragon and are all top players in the respective factions. Zubari is a wild card, he is a Haitian shaman unaffiliated with the Counsel of Venice and from what little information we have his goal is to protect Gaia.

I'm not convinced that Sarah is Illuminati, or even a member of the Counsel of Venice, not enough information to make that call.

Edit: I still believe the Tokyo vision is based in the future after the event has happened, but because I don't have any proof other then speculation I will strike it out.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 17, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

HughGRect posted:

The three you meet in the Tokyo future vision; Alex is an Illuminati, Rose is a Templar and Mei is a Dragon and are all top players in the respective factions. Zubari is a wild card, he is a Haitian shaman unaffiliated with the Counsel of Venice and from what little information we have his goal is to protect Gaia.

I'm not sure I can really understand this but it sounds rad as hell. Download harder steam !

Do the 3 factions have different questlines ? Or are just some quests different ? I'm bad as choosing and tend to make alts all over the place :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm not sure I can really understand this but it sounds rad as hell. Download harder steam !

Do the 3 factions have different questlines ? Or are just some quests different ? I'm bad as choosing and tend to make alts all over the place :v:
They get different missions between hubs, so that's three unique missions per faction (intro, between Solomon Island and Egypt, between Egypt and Transylvania). The faction missions also differ slightly, but not much.

Rookersh posted:

I'd argue that Illuminati are tied with Templars on missions, largely because of the Pyramidion/useful cosmetic stuff you get from them. ( Headlamp :3: )
Everyone gets headlamps though. Also Illuminati get the worst variant of London Underground, and the meme-tastic humour of the eye and Kirsten isn't equally funny to everyone (to me it got old quite fast).

If you want "tied with Templars on missions", that would be the Dragon. The asylum is a lot better than running through a linear warehouse and killing a bunch of zombies. They still get worse clothes though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 17, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Every faction gets a couple unique missions, and some share the same mission with minor changes to make them appear unique.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HughGRect posted:

I'm not convinced that Sarah is Illuminati, or even a member of the Counsel of Venice, not enough information to make that call.

Yeah, I knew they were faction affiliated, just wondered if they were bees, or just regular footsoldiers. I can't imagine all the people in the Templars/Dragons/Illuminati are bees.

And wait, that's the future? But Zurn made it sound like I was going to listen to a recording of the outbreak in Tokyo while high on superdrugs, and that's what it was. Now I'm really confused.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought the tutorial was a "this is what happened in Tokyo" sequence.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I might be going by old Beta knowledge and that the cut scene scripts call it the TokyoFuture.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
This will sound stupid but I have had the game since release and bought it from Funcom for the Grandmaster pack, is there a way I can link it to Steam like using my keycode from Funcom (so I can get some cards?) Or am I just stuck with having to link the client as a non-steam game?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Hugh, might want to update the OP/FAQ with stuff on Issue 7 and something about how the sub model is nothing like SWTOR.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Hugh, might want to update the OP/FAQ with stuff on Issue 7 and something about how the sub model is nothing like SWTOR.

I was planning on adding a blurb about Issue 7, good idea on the sub model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

HughGRect posted:

I was going by the CryGaia wiki, they credit her as a Templar. But of that team, she's the only one MIA, presumed dead, so it doesn't entirely matter.

• Locked thread