Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

dyzzy posted:

Hetty is not only mad that Adam both doesn't know anything and as a result "neglects" her, she also plans to torture him and then presumably kill him too just to not be under contract. That's messed up, yo

Also it seems to me that the court doesn't really have any interest in her, since they probably would have made sure the current owner was aware of the situation after the sister died.

I sorta like the possibility that the court, and possibly everyone but the sister, has no idea she even exists and she's just this malevolent little gremlin sneaking around the cracks in the Court always trying and failing to torment her way to freedom, while everyone around undergoes waves of misfortune for no reason they can figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Will this end with Zimmy and Gamma getting a new toy?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hodgepodge posted:

Or maybe she was a little girl who found/received a doll and wrote "if I die I want my brother to have my dollie" in her diary. Jesus loving Christ, goons.

I'm sort of imagining that Adam's sister got a dolly as a kid, wrote that in her diary (maybe when Adam was a baby) and then the doll got possessed and she died at a far later date, such that Adam's sister herself probably forgot all about that detail, but, well, contract magic. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hetty is totally on track for a righteous doggy beat down and I am totally looking forward to it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Given the current situation we cannot ignore the possibility of a 1v1 soccer match to settle the issue. Or maybe, if there are any basketball courts around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Really Pants posted:

Hetty is totally on track for a righteous doggy beat down and I am totally looking forward to it.

The doggy beatdown will surely come only after Hetty makes her attempt to murder Annie in her sleep, and not a moment before

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

All this Annie harm wild speculation reminds me of that page where "possessed" Jack runs into Annie and Rey in the hall. Rey turns fiercely protective and just looks mean as hell, even with a flower behind his ear.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bell_ posted:

Will this end with Zimmy and Gamma getting a new toy?

That would probably be the best solution. Alternatively, have Adam transfer ownership of Hetty to Jones.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm imagining a scenario where Adam's sister didn't know Hetty was anything more than a doll either, but was getting sicker/kept having bad things happening to her (like Adam now), and wrote some sad entry in her diary about how if she got worse and something really bad happened she wanted her brother to have all her stuff-including her beloved doll Hetty.

I only base this on the fact that Adam has no idea Hetty exists, or at least that she exists as anything more than a normal doll (she could mean that she's hiding herself, but not the doll body, from him. Surely he would have seen the doll if his sister had her?), so maybe if she never showed herself to Adam she didn't show herself to his sister either. After all, they can't tell you to stop doing things like causing misery and "accidents" if they don't know you're more than just a doll...

Though that's probably way too complicated. I just wonder why, if the sister knew about her, she didn't tell Hetty to quit trying to harass and hurt others.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Hetty best problem solver. Turns out, on her level, they all have the same solution.

"Death solves all problems - No man, no problem."

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Battle Pigeon posted:

I only base this on the fact that Adam has no idea Hetty exists, or at least that she exists as anything more than a normal doll (she could mean that she's hiding herself, but not the doll body, from him. Surely he would have seen the doll if his sister had her?), so maybe if she never showed herself to Adam she didn't show herself to his sister either. After all, they can't tell you to stop doing things like causing misery and "accidents" if they don't know you're more than just a doll...

You're probably on the right track, here. After all, it wasn't until The Science Fair (Ch. 5) that Antimony even knew Reynardine was A) still alive, and 2)had possessed her wolf-plushie.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Wild theory I just thought up: Her possession curse is similar to the Boos in Mario, and if any person, or maybe just Adam, looks at her she freezes and is just a normal doll. Her hiding a la Toy Story would probably make more sense though.

It is sort of annoying how it's still just vague enough to leave room for a perfectly valid explanation outside of Hetty just being so obviously evil.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I just found my hettyface gif (at least, a part of it) on tumblr. It wasn't that good, really :blush:

So, does Hetty hide herself completely from Adam, or does he just keep his dead sister's creepy doll lying around in his room?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It's more likely that Hetty got lost among all of Adam's sister's stuff and it's easy for a doll to go missing. Especially a psychotic doll that can walk away.

Hodgepodge posted:

Or maybe she was a little girl who found/received a doll and wrote "if I die I want my brother to have my dollie" in her diary. Jesus loving Christ, goons.

Considering that some things in the Court tend to function on weird magic rules(Annie naming Red) I wouldn't be surprised if just writing something like that did bind Hetty to Adam. It's not like there's a magical notary that goes around authenticating contracts.

Still on Team Hetty, but you can like a character and acknowledge that they're evil as all hell, Goons.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I mean, I'm Team Roose Bolton but Hetty is just mean.

IsBlue
Jul 12, 2006
Look! Title text!
Whole lotta people here willing to call Hetty "obviously evil". Here's a little thought experiment for you all.

What have we learned about Hetty this chapter? Well, she killed a girl, she's gone completely unhinged from her captivity, and now she wants to kill a literal child so she can finally be free.

What other facts did we learn this chapter? Well, Renard killed a dude, and later, having gone unhinged from his captivity, he tried to escape by possessing and killing a literal child.

So, thread, what do you guys think about Renard?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Being part-etheric Antimony may actually be a figurative child.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

IsBlue posted:

Whole lotta people here willing to call Hetty "obviously evil". Here's a little thought experiment for you all.

What have we learned about Hetty this chapter? Well, she killed a girl, she's gone completely unhinged from her captivity, and now she wants to kill a literal child so she can finally be free.

What other facts did we learn this chapter? Well, Renard killed a dude, and later, having gone unhinged from his captivity, he tried to escape by possessing and killing a literal child.

Renard better be killed off by the end of the chapter.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well, Renard has recently expressed remorse for both of those actions, while Hetty referred to the sisters' death as an "accident" and looks forward to inflicting pain and worse on Adam, so I'm pretty confident in saying Renard is at this moment Not Very Evil at All, while Hetty is pretty squarely in the Evil camp.

I would think of Past Renard as being kinda Evil too. At least, when he was in Sivo.

edit: if nothing bad happens to Renard, it's because of a systemic and oppressive anti-doll bias in Gunnerkrigg Court

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 16, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Renard expressed absolutely no remorse for the death of Sivo, who was Eglamore's friend and all that.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
In his defense, Eglamore was being kind of a dick.

(I guess we kinda skipped over Sivo dying)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He bested Sivo in a fight, he didn't just outright murder him like Danny. Also pretty impressive considering he was in a human body at the time.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
According to coyote, Renard has always loved humans. Hetty does not seem to share that point of view.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

Wild theory I just thought up: Her possession curse is similar to the Boos in Mario, and if any person, or maybe just Adam, looks at her she freezes and is just a normal doll. Her hiding a la Toy Story would probably make more sense though.

It is sort of annoying how it's still just vague enough to leave room for a perfectly valid explanation outside of Hetty just being so obviously evil.

Considering how she was out and about the court when Renard ran into her, she probably doesn't even hang around Adam at all except when she's on her dastardly missions.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

IsBlue posted:

That only works if you equate Renard's being locked in a cell for decades to Hetty's seemingly free run of the Court (which is what Renard has now, and he's not trying to murder anyone. Probably).

These two panels are kind of adorable, though:

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 16, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's also worth noting that Renard has had comparatively few closeups showing a face that is literally cracked and crazed, his gleaming eyes full of mad hate. He also never recommended murder as a solution in the same tone with which one would propose having an extra slice of bacon with breakfast.

At this point I look forward to the next strip just to see the "fakeout!" crowd get even more desperate.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hetty is very much a foil for Renard. They are both some sort of spirit above humanity trapped in a toy and thus bound to their owner's will, but the difference is in how they treat it. Hetty views Adam with unbridled hatred and tries to torture him to death, while Renard learned to love Annie such that she doesn't want to boss him around.

Hetty is a snapshot of what Renard could have been. This is still very much a chapter about him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

It's also worth noting that Renard has had comparatively few closeups showing a face that is literally cracked and crazed, his gleaming eyes full of mad hate. He also never recommended murder as a solution in the same tone with which one would propose having an extra slice of bacon with breakfast.

At this point I look forward to the next strip just to see the "fakeout!" crowd get even more desperate.

No one is denying that what Hetty is doing is wrong or that she's insane. However, there's probably more to this than her being Satan trapped in a doll. I mean, even Red and The Other One have (a little) depth to them. Also all the suggestions for how Adam's sister could have acquired Hetty without being aware of her without being aware of her and such are contrived as hell and frequently don't make sense. Example would be the assumption that she was probably younger than Adam is now when she got Hetty; assuming her death wasn't a super-recent thing that would mean that she'd have been in Adam's family for ages, and yet despite offing one kid somehow being unable to do the same to the other, younger one, after years of trying. Or any of the suggestions about her "finding" Hetty; if she could pick Hetty up and gain ownership of her, then her previous owner wouldn't, well, have owned her anymore, presumably. Which would mean that she should be free then, based on what we think and the characters are saying (if she's trying to kill her owner to gain her freedom, then there can't have been an ownerless period for her; that's what she's trying to get in the first place). Likewise the suggestion that she was given Hetty, since that either assumes that someone gave a kid a murderdoll (not impossible, but that kind of outright evil seems rare in this comic) or there's a chain of people going who knows how far back passing off this doll to other people until we get to whatever rear end in a top hat bound her and thought it was a good idea to give her to someone else. Though, the latter one there would explain Hetty's, well, everything, rather well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 17, 2013

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tenebrais posted:

Hetty is very much a foil for Renard. They are both some sort of spirit above humanity trapped in a toy and thus bound to their owner's will, but the difference is in how they treat it. Hetty views Adam with unbridled hatred and tries to torture him to death, while Renard learned to love Annie such that she doesn't want to boss him around.

Hetty is a snapshot of what Renard could have been. This is still very much a chapter about him.

So basically Renard is a victim of Stockholm syndrome and Hetty is a righteous freedom fighter who refuses to be enslaved :v:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Roland Jones posted:

No one is denying that what Hetty is doing is wrong or that she's insane. However, there's probably more to this than her being Satan trapped in a doll. I mean, even Red and The Other One have (a little) depth to them. Also all the suggestions for how Adam's sister could have acquired Hetty without being aware of her without being aware of her and such are contrived as hell and frequently don't make sense. Example would be the assumption that she was probably younger than Adam is now when she got Hetty; assuming her death wasn't a super-recent thing that would mean that she'd have been in Adam's family for ages, and yet despite offing one kid somehow being unable to do the same to the other, younger one, after years of trying. Or any of the suggestions about her "finding" Hetty; if she could pick Hetty up and gain ownership of her, then her previous owner wouldn't, well, have owned her anymore, presumably. Which would mean that she should be free then, based on what we think and the characters are saying (if she's trying to kill her owner to gain her freedom, then there can't have been an ownerless period for her; that's what she's trying to get in the first place). Likewise the suggestion that she was given Hetty, since that either assumes that someone gave a kid a murderdoll (not impossible, but that kind of outright evil seems rare in this comic) or there's a chain of people going who knows how far back passing off this doll to other people until we get to whatever rear end in a top hat bound her and thought it was a good idea to give her to someone else. Though, the latter one there would explain Hetty's, well, everything, rather well.

Listen, the important thing is that

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Now she's trying to eat Renard's brain! What more proof do you people need that Hetty is pure evil?

(That's beautiful)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

An interesting thought I just had: What if the little girl's "accident" was Hetty slipping her a food she was allergic to? If Hetty only knew that the girl "didn't like", or "couldn't eat", say, peanuts, then she might have slipped her some to watch the little girl freak out and "accidentally" ended up killing her.

I think that kind of reinforces what we know about Hetty. She's evil under the skin/shell, but she's really only capable of doing semi-minor pranks and making people miserable. I don't realy know what she's planning with the stuff Reynard got for her, but I don't think she's going to outright try to murder Adam.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

neogeo0823 posted:

An interesting thought I just had: What if the little girl's "accident" was Hetty slipping her a food she was allergic to? If Hetty only knew that the girl "didn't like", or "couldn't eat", say, peanuts, then she might have slipped her some to watch the little girl freak out and "accidentally" ended up killing her.

I think that kind of reinforces what we know about Hetty. She's evil under the skin/shell, but she's really only capable of doing semi-minor pranks and making people miserable. I don't realy know what she's planning with the stuff Reynard got for her, but I don't think she's going to outright try to murder Adam.

This is an interesting idea! Maybe she was driven mad by it going wrong. This storyline reminds me a bit of the house elves in Harry Potter.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hetty. Hetty, stop it, you're cracking.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Guys

I don't like Hetty anymore.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Oy gevalt. I think there is some sort of visual metaphor happening here.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

but I don't think she's going to outright try to murder Adam.

Arsenic is pretty killy.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Hetty is starting to look awful Zimmy-like. Also, unhinged, evil, etc.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Guys

I don't like Hetty anymore.

See now we're getting somewhere with our murderdoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh Hetty you silly dolly. :3: