Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Am I bad for brake-checking people who tailgate me on single-lane, double-yellow-line roads? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Brigdh posted:

The cop plate and the others don't look like any CO plate I've seen...

Cop plate has me boggled, but the other plate looks like this to me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DropShadow posted:

Nice parking job, officer.

(And there was no emergency. I watched him stroll into Target.)
How many US Police Departments are running the new Caprice?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

Looking at his profile its probably Minnesota. Still, it looks just like Boulder PD cars. I would know, I successfully avoided them for 4 years while drinking too much on schoolnights. :cheers:

Also, heres a burnt up volvo thats been brought back to life.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I'd like to carve "THEN STOP DRIVING SLOW IN THE PASSING LANE" into it

Handicap tags. You know that car has never seen over 55.

Fucknag posted:

Am I bad for brake-checking people who tailgate me on single-lane, double-yellow-line roads? :ohdear:

Yes. Pull over to the shoulder if/when you can and let them pass if you don't want to speed up. No need to try to instigate road rage or cause an accident.

Don't get me wrong tailgating is rear end in a top hat behavior as well but two wrongs and all that...

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 17, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

St. Louis Park, Minnesota, it's a suburb of Minneapolis.

I originally went over to check out the car because it is the first Caprice PPV I've seen in service. It was my wife that noticed the bad parking job.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Fucknag posted:

Jumping back just a little bit, but I've found putting my hazards on for a few seconds will most always work getting people off my rear end, without having to do anything abrupt or unpredictable.

Jumping on the brakes is really cathartic and gives you a sense of controlling the situation more, but I assume that people willing to try drafting on the highway aren't likely to be the best, most attentive drivers out there, so eventually you end up with an rear end in a top hat yelling at you on the side of the road instead of in traffic, and with all the associated repair/insurance costs.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

You Am I posted:

How many US Police Departments are running the new Caprice?

My neighbor has a unmarked one the department lets him take home. SO JEALOUS.

EDIT: It's sad, but I never realized he was a cop until the Caprice showed up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Can't wait until I can pick one of these up at auction for a song, and get in on that sweet LS3 action. I don't think I've seen any around here though... (California)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Can't wait until I can pick one of these up at auction for a song, and get in on that sweet LS3 action. I don't think I've seen any around here though... (California)

They don't use the LS3, they use the 6.0 L77.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

They don't use the LS3, they use the 6.0 L77.

Oh. Huh. For some reason I recall that they were going to have the LS3 in them, drat. The L77 is cathedral port, isn't it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spotted yesterday while walking around.

It had a giant frosted sticker of some sort on the windshield alluding to driving sideways. Didn't get a photo of the other side, but both drivers side tires were rubbing the arches. Neither of the ones on the passenger side were rubbing. Every wheel sat slightly different in the wheel opening too. :haw:

Poor 240 :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 17, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Oh. Huh. For some reason I recall that they were going to have the LS3 in them, drat. The L77 is cathedral port, isn't it?

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter, most caprices out there will likely be the 3.6 V6, the same as the last gen impala. I don't think i've seen a single hemi charger police car, they've all been v6s.

More terrible stuff:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter, most caprices out there will likely be the 3.6 V6, the same as the last gen impala. I don't think i've seen a single hemi charger police car, they've all been v6s.

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

The V6s are just coming out now, it was v8 only for the first little bit, likely why there seem to be so few out there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe, I remember when it came out that the V6 was actually the optional upper trim engine while the V8 was the base. Wikipedia says the V6 wasn't even available at all for the first year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While looking for prices, i found something truly terrible.

http://www.chevrolet.com/captiva-sport-crossover.html

It's SO ugly.

EDIT: V8 is no additional charge, limited slip rear is a cost option on the v6, so get ready for open diff, V6, 4000lb sedans.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

get ready for open diff, V6, 4000lb sedans.

The world is truly a less vibrant one than it was a few minutes ago.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In the US it's fleet-only for new sales. You'll find them used at CarMax every now and then.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
eh bru

eh bru check out my

~batty~ RX7 !FD! bridgeport 23b xXxveilsidexXx

EH
FOCK

This dude was cruising about the street at roughly 3mph while the incredibly obnoxious rotary was running so roughly and so loudly I couldn't have a conversation in the cafe I was in at the time.

After he blew the engine from the immensely stressful task of keeping it idling for a few minutes, his car still wasn't even half as fast as the V12 AMG a few cars down from him but at least it wasn't as loud.

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 17, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fucknag posted:

Yes. Just ignore them.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

DropShadow posted:

Nice parking job, officer.

There was a bigass Lincoln MKZ parked like this over the weekend at my complex, the open spot next to him being the corner spot along the curb. Two dick moves make a right, so I crept into that corner spot leaving an inch of clearance from both the curb and my car and between our side mirrors. There was no possible way he was going to get in the driver's side of his car, and mine is a beater so I gave no fucks.

As I've come to find out, the Lincoln belongs to the State Trooper who lives in my complex. :ohdear: He was in the wrong more than I was, but I didn't exactly do myself any favors.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It's just the all new 2006 Opel Antara 2008 Saturn Vue 2013 Chevrolet Captiva :v:

Old cellphone pics:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Powershift posted:

More terrible stuff:

I know lambo doors are overdone and terrible, but I actually really like this. Everything looks pretty well done, with the exception of the VatoZone fog LEDs under the front bumper. I'm also glad it isn't matte. I'd also tint the windows darker.

As long as it's as fast as it looks like it should be, I think it's in the wrong thread.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Raluek posted:

Pretty sure they'll all have dual exhausts - Holden puts them on most models

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fart Pipe posted:

I take a picture any time I park next to a Subaru.

You are not alone.

Although I stick to same year and color

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Powershift posted:

While looking for prices, i found something truly terrible.

http://www.chevrolet.com/captiva-sport-crossover.html

It's SO ugly.

I rented one for a business trip to Charlotte. It's about as fun and interesting to drive as you'd imagine, but it takes curbs like a champ (when its turning radius proves lacking).

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Spades posted:

This dude was cruising about the street at roughly 3mph while the incredibly obnoxious rotary was running so roughly and so loudly I couldn't have a conversation in the cafe I was in at the time.

After he blew the engine from the immensely stressful task of keeping it idling for a few minutes, his car still wasn't even half as fast as the V12 AMG a few cars down from him but at least it wasn't as loud.

From all my experence at the track when rotaries show up it seems like "adjusting it" involves banging it off the rev limiter for 15 minutes with open exhaust. I guess if you let it idle it blows up

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

DropShadow posted:

St. Louis Park, Minnesota, it's a suburb of Minneapolis.

I originally went over to check out the car because it is the first Caprice PPV I've seen in service. It was my wife that noticed the bad parking job.

Ahhh. I've never seen any police plates like that and I was super curious. I'm fascinated by all the quirky things cops cars from other places are outfitted with, like how Michigan highway patrol has refused to diverge from the "single rotator beacon on roof" look and the little "stop" gates on their hoods. So cool and weird!

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Love those lil' michigan gumball lights. So old school!

And yeah, no emergency vehicles in MN need plates as far as I can tell. Sometimes they have an actual MN plate but it just says "POLICE" instead of any actual plate number.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I guess that depends on how badly you want to be rear-ended. It'll happen eventually. Either that or you'll do it to someone who is unstable enough to take a tire iron to your windows at the next red. It's fun to piss tailgaters off right up until they go road rage on your rear end.

That's not to say I've never deliberately slowed down when someone tailgated me, or stepped on it and pulled away at 100 in a 55. But sometimes I'm an idiot.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

Ahhh. I've never seen any police plates like that and I was super curious. I'm fascinated by all the quirky things cops cars from other places are outfitted with, like how Michigan highway patrol has refused to diverge from the "single rotator beacon on roof" look and the little "stop" gates on their hoods. So cool and weird!

So what's with that thing on the hood? Does it light up when he's running up alongside someone during a pursuit or something?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I guess that depends on how badly you want to be rear-ended. It'll happen eventually. Either that or you'll do it to someone who is unstable enough to take a tire iron to your windows at the next red. It's fun to piss tailgaters off right up until they go road rage on your rear end.

That's not to say I've never deliberately slowed down when someone tailgated me, or stepped on it and pulled away at 100 in a 55. But sometimes I'm an idiot.

I usually slow down until I figure the speed we're going is appropriate, so there is a 2-3 second following distance between us. They either back off or overtake once they're tired of it. On roads with no overtaking possibilities I'll just take another route to get rid of them altogether if possible.

Except for one guy, he just stayed right on my rear end in the right lane on the motorway even when I slowed down to 60kph, despite the left lane being almost completely empty. I couldn't even see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I left him behind at a bridge toll booth. I have a transponder, he didn't, so he was stuck until an attendant could walk out and take his payment manually. I have no idea what I did to piss him off, but he seemed really pissed for some reason.

Oh yeah, and don't honk your horn at people who pull out from side roads right in front of you. The other day, some dude did exactly that and got really pissed that I honked at him. Pissed enough that he stopped his car, blocking the road and got out to confront me. I had to drive up onto the bike path and sidewalk to go around him on the right to get past. Cushy suspension and high-sidewall tires rock. No idea what his plan was, it's not like I'm in a hurry to get out of my nice safe car for some road-raging jerkoff.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 17, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Terrible Robot posted:

Your first pic is upside down, which made viewing it on my phone hilariously difficult. Also a CVPI/Caprice with that stance generally means they are in the process of being donked. That last car is just horrible.

Better?

edit: Just noticed the "G BENZ" lettering on the trunk in addition to the wing. Didn't catch that before.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

That's pretty presumptuous :colbert:

That lift is nowhere near sufficient for anything larger than stock tires. It's possible he's got air bags and keeps it aired up to whatever is comfortable for driving.

Oh, it ain't for comfort. The thing goes over the speed bumps at work like an unloaded heavy truck.
I'd say he could fit 20s in there, considering that those factory CVPI wheels are 17", but yeah, I think he just likes it jacked up that way, for whatever reason. He even painted the chrome center caps on the wheels, though it's getting a bit thin.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So what's with that thing on the hood? Does it light up when he's running up alongside someone during a pursuit or something?

From the wiki, it is more of a heritage item that doesn't really serve a purpose anymore.

Wikipedia" posted:

MSP vehicles also feature a clear plastic sign, referred to as a "hood light" or "hailer" or "shark fin" on the hood that lights up when activated. The historical use of this hood light dates from the time when a "side stop" patrol stop would be initiated by pulling up next to an offender and the Trooper would motion them to pull over in daylight; at night the hood light was illuminated displaying the words "State Police" and "STOP" (MSP no longer use the "side stop").

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Fucknag posted:

As some other people have pointed out, yes, but could you maybe elaborate on why you are so willing to attempt to get rear ended? Like Disgruntled Bovine said its probably eventually going to happen. Do you honestly think you're going to get out of your car all :smug: like, heh, guess you'll think twice about tailgating next time, now lets have a calm discussion while exchanging info and waiting for the police to arrive?

I've had this happen to me a few times, not even purposly tailgaiting I just used to have a bad habit of following too close that some people wouldn't care for, and I have always wondered what the end game is. I know the desired effect is to have the person following too close back off a little bit but I have always wondered if brake checking has ever made a situation better for you? Doesn't it just piss off the person behind you even more? Sorry for so many questions but I've never had a chance to ask one of you people why you do it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

I usually slow down until I figure the speed we're going is appropriate, so there is a 2-3 second following distance between us. They either back off or overtake once they're tired of it. On roads with no overtaking possibilities I'll just take another route to get rid of them altogether if possible.

Except for one guy, he just stayed right on my rear end in the right lane on the motorway even when I slowed down to 60kph, despite the left lane being almost completely empty. I couldn't even see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I left him behind at a bridge toll booth. I have a transponder, he didn't, so he was stuck until an attendant could walk out and take his payment manually. I have no idea what I did to piss him off, but he seemed really pissed for some reason.

Oh yeah, and don't honk your horn at people who pull out from side roads right in front of you. The other day, some dude did exactly that and got really pissed that I honked at him. Pissed enough that he stopped his car, blocking the road and got out to confront me. I had to drive up onto the bike path and sidewalk to go around him on the right to get past. Cushy suspension and high-sidewall tires rock. No idea what his plan was, it's not like I'm in a hurry to get out of my nice safe car for some road-raging jerkoff.
I had some really angry dude get out of his car at a stoplight at me when I lived in Miami. I got out of my car and he got right back in. I'm 6' 3" and was in my mid 20s at the time. The guy was about ~5' 7" and middle aged.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A lad I know got pulled over by some nutter and just sighed and said 'okay' to his mate who was in the van with him, he then pulled a claw hammer from his door pocket. The road rage fella ran away and everyone got a hilarious story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

A lad I know got pulled over by some nutter and just sighed and said 'okay' to his mate who was in the van with him, he then pulled a claw hammer from his door pocket. The road rage fella ran away and everyone got a hilarious story.

Then you get some shitknuckle with a wicked case of short guy syndrome pulling a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrJ9r6Tqok

And then it takes another guy with a gun to break up that fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETleE14MfU

And then oh think of the children!