Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed, as FF VII is only available as a PSX and PC game. It's been rereleased on the Playstation Network, so PSP/Vita/PS3 (right? I only have a PSP) but it isn't nearly as readily available as the first two FFs, or even FF6.

This is true of 7, 8 and 9. I know that tech now means that they could be put on any portable or other non-Sony console, but is there a reason they are being kept Sony exclusive? Since most of the games from 7 to 13 were Sony exclusives, does that legally affect their ability to rerelease on other consoles now that it's been over a decade later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

It will still be final fantasy 14 so... Probably not.

FF14 is actually pretty solid, it doesn't try to frame it as if you are the only special person out there and the story pokes fun at how bad the first one was while keeping its own pace and it's pretty good standard MMO-fare.

That said, you have to like MMO's. And not play WoW.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

That said, you have to like MMO's. And not play WoW.

Huh, what? Why not?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed, as FF VII is only available as a PSX and PC game. It's been rereleased on the Playstation Network, so PSP/Vita/PS3 (right? I only have a PSP) but it isn't nearly as readily available as the first two FFs, or even FF6.

Where are you wanting to play it that you can't?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Honey Badger posted:

Not being able to play Crisis Core or Before Crisis because I don't own a PSP or live in Japan kind of blows.

PSP Emulation is a thing that exists. Crisis Core runs on my phone!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Terper posted:

Huh, what? Why not?

Time constraints, most likely.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Someone said the FF14 RR beta was open, but it looks like you have to apply for it, and then be selected. That seems more like a closed beta to me.

I'm really interested though, the promo stuff looks great.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

pretend to care posted:

Someone said the FF14 RR beta was open, but it looks like you have to apply for it, and then be selected. That seems more like a closed beta to me.

The closed betas just finished up this week, next phase is open and then it's retail release.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pretend to care posted:

I'm really interested though, the promo stuff looks great.

I've been in the closed beta for a month and haven't actually played it yet.

:effort:

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Oh ok, so soon I should be able to just download the client and fire it up? :hellyeah:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

precision posted:

I've been in the closed beta for a month and haven't actually played it yet.

:effort:

I can only put so much effort into a character that I know is going to be wiped.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I thought they said characters created in the beta wouldn't be deleted when it goes up proper. I think someone else mentioned it a page or two ago.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I thought they said characters created in the beta wouldn't be deleted when it goes up proper. I think someone else mentioned it a page or two ago.

The closed beta that just ended got wiped. The open beta that will lead into launch won't be wiped.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The character creation in ffxiv is more enjoyable than the game itself. If they released a standalone game where you only dress people up and show them off I would buy it in a heartbeat. I can't justify paying a monthly fee for a time sink MMO though.

Then again, I spent most of my time in Resonance of Fate and Saint's Row playing dress up...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 17, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Renoistic posted:

The character creation in ffxiv is more enjoyable than the game itself. If they released a standalone game where you only dress people up and show them off I would buy it in a heartbeat. I can't justify paying a monthly fee for a time sink MMO though.

Then again, I spent most of my time in Resonance of Fate and Saint's Row playing dress up...

Resonance of Fate is easily the worst JRPG I've ever played so uh, if you're worried about wasting time you're already upgrading.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dross posted:

Resonance of Fate is easily the worst JRPG I've ever played so uh, if you're worried about wasting time you're already upgrading.

So you've never played Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, every non-Disgaea, non-Atelier NISA release?

Resonance of Fate is mediocre, but there's so much worse out there.

EDIT: \/ Keep it that way. Especially Infinite Undiscovery. It's terrible in every way it can be. Eternal Sonata's biggest weakness, on the other hand, is endless and extremely pretentious cutscenes (unskippable on the 360 version) for sometimes up to half an hour between the (relatively decent) gameplay sections. I like its battle system too, but the game seems to like keeping you away from it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 17, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I own the first two you mentioned but haven't played them. I just like my JRPGs to have, you know, a plot. ROF's setting is cool as hell but the story was unintelligible, combat system wore out its welcome by Chapter 4, and map management was aggressively unfun.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd say... Star Ocean 4? To call that game lovely is to offend games that are actually lovely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I'd say... Star Ocean 4? To call that game lovely is to offend games that are actually lovely.

It's bad, yes, but it's polished and the combat is okay. Infinite Undiscovery is worse than it in every way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Star Ocean 4 is fairly fun to play, and basically tries it's best to get you to skip cutscenes. Hardly the worst JRPG ever, although it may have the worst writing of any JRPG.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Goddamn. Infinite Undiscovery was so so bad. I'm pretty forgiving with my anime RPGs too. Resonance of Fate seemed fine in comparison (only tried that one for an hour or so).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resonance of Fate is a really good game. Basically the worst thing about it is that it shines more on the unlockable difficulty modes because default is too easy. (Well, and that the plot is an unintelligible mess.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mokinokaro posted:

It's bad, yes, but it's polished and the combat is okay. Infinite Undiscovery is worse than it in every way.

I tend to look much more harshly on games that are sequels to things I really liked because I feel like they should know better. Suikoden 4 is another glaring example of this.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

I tend to look much more harshly on games that are sequels to things I really liked because I feel like they should know better. Suikoden 4 is another glaring example of this.

Ha ha. Very funny. Everyone knows there are no Suikodens after Suikoden 2.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Ha ha. Very funny. Everyone knows there are no Suikodens after Suikoden 2.

The weirdest thing is how they released Suikoden 5 right after Suikoden 2. Must be one of those "meta" jokes kids are always talking about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always preferred 3, but that's because I hate Nanami, like every character of that archetype, with every fiber of my being. It may have a stump of a second half, but Geddoe's team is a thousand times better than Riou and Nanami. Also the dichotomy between 2 telling you that you are the leader but the way the game unfolds with Shu not even telling you his plan half the time bugs me.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 17, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mokinokaro posted:

So you've never played Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, every non-Disgaea, non-Atelier NISA release?

Oh god Chopinime is literally the worst game I've ever played in my life, and I've played Family Dog and Home Improvement.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cake Attack posted:

Star Ocean 4 is fairly fun to play, and basically tries it's best to get you to skip cutscenes. Hardly the worst JRPG ever, although it may have the worst writing of any JRPG.
Star Ocean 4's gameplay is vaguely okay, but everything else about it is so horrendously bad that it doesn't matter. I still think it's the worst JRPG I've ever played.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I always preferred 3, but that's because I hate Nanami, like every character of that archetype, with every fiber of my being.

Nanami IS that terrible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sadly SO was in decline after 2. 3 was okay, but 2 is still the best of the series.

Agreed on Suikoden 4 though. That was a trainwreck. 5 was okay, but I feel so much of it was an attempt to suck up to the fans rather than make a great game.

On that note, nobody here buy Toki Towa (Time and Eternity localized) as it's reportedly one of the worst JRPGs ever made. It was torn apart in Japan, even by reviewers who are tolerant of Compile Heart's garbage (Mugen Souls, Neptunia, etc.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

Oh god Chopinime is literally the worst game I've ever played in my life, and I've played Family Dog and Home Improvement.
The PS3 version was a fine JRPG that got lost up its own rear end halfway through. Did you play on 360?

Either way, it's a shame that such an original (and interesting) concept got used as a vehicle for cheap pun names and decided to just forget about its central conflict in favor of awful cliches.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Out of the JPRGs I've played, I'd argue that Xenosaga Episode 2 is the worst of the lot. (Disclaimer: I have not played Star Ocean 4, so I can't speak for it either way.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The thing about 3 that bugs me the most is how the game makes it a point to make fun of you in the ending in the event you are invested in the outcome by pointing out how completely arbitrary any challenges or consequences the characters might encounter are. The writer might as well have said "what, do you actually CARE what happens? Lololol. Look, I'm going to wipe out an entire universe and then just have it exist again with no aftereffects."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saigyouji posted:

Out of the JPRGs I've played, I'd argue that Xenosaga Episode 2 is the worst of the lot. (Disclaimer: I have not played Star Ocean 4, so I can't speak for it either way.)

Anything with Xenosomething as it's name (excluding Blade) were the worst loving games. Including Gears. Actually given how hyped up that game was before I tried it especially Xenogears. Why don't you guys get your head of your rear end and start actually playing games. loving dopers. :smugbert:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anything with Xenosomething as it's name (excluding Blade) were the worst loving games. Including Gears. Actually given how hyped up that game was before I tried it especially Xenogears. Why don't you guys get your head of your rear end and start actually playing games. loving dopers. :smugbert:

Hey now, Xenoblade exists.

EDIT: i read gud

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Suikoden 3 was really good. v:shobon:v

Then again I'm pretty sure I only got maybe 2/3 of the way through it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As long as something like Last Rebellion or Hyperdimensional Neptunia exists, it will be hard to claim the "worst RPG" crown anytime soon.

loving hell Last Rebellion is one of the only games a developer has ever apologized for releasing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

As long as something like Last Rebellion or Hyperdimensional Neptunia exists, it will be hard to claim the "worst RPG" crown anytime soon.

Ar Tonelico Qoga is the worst "J" I've ever played but actually pretty good "RPG" so I'm conflicted.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from replaying PSX games, it's how much lower the expectations for user-friendliness were back in those days. Parasite Eve probably has it even worse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I actually played Parasite Eve for the first time a couple of months back. I enjoyed it, but jesus christ it was clunky as hell.