Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Not bad, but the quotes are wrong!

It's "In time thy powers have weak become Old Man" and "I find thy lack of faith disturbing."

Haha, poo poo, it WAS like 6:00am and I'd been up for like... 30 hours.

Nebulon Gate fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Soooo rumor has it I might be working with some producers to cast a project or two directly from my upcoming voiceover classes. Only one way to find out for sure! Reposting the info, as the classes start next week and I think my last post got lost on the last page amidst Darth Vader and Summerset Hills.

---

I'm teaching TWO online classes and TWO classes in NYC this summer!

All the info's on my website (http://www.listentomelanie.com/voiceoverclasses.html), but basically, the 6-week class covers the basics of the business, technical and creative aspects of voiceover work, and different types of VO work including commercial, animation/character, and long-form/narration voiceovers. The NYC classes are held in real recording studios, and all of the classes are a GREAT value for the price. Those who take one of my classes will also be eligible for exclusive industry workshops I'll be putting together with industry professionals (casting directors, agents, video game developers, etc) later on. If you refer someone who also signs up, you BOTH get $10 off. (I'm happy to stack this, too--if you refer three people who also sign up, they each get $10 off and you get $30 off!)

The 6-week online classes are $179 (just $29.83 per class), and the NYC classes are $259. As always, goons get a $10 discount on any of my classes and private sessions through 2013; when prompted during registration, type "SA" and then your username (i.e. "SA blinkeve1826").

Please spread the word; these will be fun and beneficial to your professional and personal development. If you're curious about VO work, thinking about making this a professional endeavor rather than a hobby, or want to take your professional VO work up a notch, this is a great opportunity to do that. Feel free to PM or email me (melanie at listentomelanie.com) if you have any questions.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I can't afford to sit in =[

For others though Mel is totally solid and has always had good advice in here in the past. She is worth listening to and working with so if there's anyone whose been thinking about getting more serious and you can swing it, she's worth the money.

Also, I spent the last couple weeks working on a DOTA 2 announcer pack and we finally released it for voting on the Steam Workshop. I hate this kind of speculative system, but it was fun to do. We kind of overdid it doubling the average voiceline totals: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153998721

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

JossiRossi posted:

I can't afford to sit in =[

For others though Mel is totally solid and has always had good advice in here in the past. She is worth listening to and working with so if there's anyone whose been thinking about getting more serious and you can swing it, she's worth the money.

Also, I spent the last couple weeks working on a DOTA 2 announcer pack and we finally released it for voting on the Steam Workshop. I hate this kind of speculative system, but it was fun to do. We kind of overdid it doubling the average voiceline totals: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153998721

:glomp:

Thanks man. I don't like tooting my own horn too much so it's nice when others do it for me :3:

I think there's room for success, in some way, for anyone who wants it enough, and I'm really invested in helping the people I work with achieve it.

Also, to keep spreading the word about them, I had an idea: please share the class info with at least one other person--send an email, post it on Facebook, etc. As a thank you for helping spread the word, if someone mentions your name when they register, they get $10 off, and I will send YOU a $5 Starbucks gift card as a thank you for your help. (Or I can just Paypal you $5 if you really want me to.) All the info is on my website, for both the online AND the NYC classes, although people are welcome to contact me directly if they have any questions.

Edit: WOW that's a lot of recording. How long did all that take you???

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

blinkeve1826 posted:

:glomp:

Thanks man. I don't like tooting my own horn too much so it's nice when others do it for me :3:

Edit: WOW that's a lot of recording. How long did all that take you???

I estimated that it took me around 25 hours to do everything. Most of that was caught up in an obnoxious exporting process because in some places it is requested to have .mp3s and others as .wav. So I did both as exporting everything again separately could crop up a lot of problems. So that was 2 hours right there just listening to protools export, let alone getting files structured and named correctly. I think I recorded around 4+ hours of audio before going through and mixing it down.

Was probably one of the bigger projects I handled and I think I did about as well as a person can do, so I'm proud of the work. I just dislike the "Open Market" nature of "creative" jobs these days. Why hire 1 voice actor when you can just tell lots of people what to record, let multiple people do all the work, and then cherry pick what you like and then letting essentially a free market determine compensation. The chance for money in return is pretty good IF it gets onto Steam's DOTA2 market, but valve is notoriously opaque, so in the end other than great practice at acting and project management, I may not come away with much.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
If anyone is interested, I had some recent auditions with Funimation. Very fun thing to do, and on the way out, I took some snapshots of the sides they had me read. Here they are if anyone wants to take a look. This particular audition was for One Piece, but they had me read sides from already casted shows, so they can keep them on file as examples of different styles of voices you can do.

Pics are pretty big, so I timg'd them

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

If anyone is interested, I had some recent auditions with Funimation. Very fun thing to do, and on the way out, I took some snapshots of the sides they had me read. Here they are if anyone wants to take a look. This particular audition was for One Piece, but they had me read sides from already casted shows, so they can keep them on file as examples of different styles of voices you can do.

That's awesome! Can you talk a little bit about the process? How did you get in to audition? Had you been trying for a while? Was it through your own persistence, or through an agent (or both)? I know it's quite competitive down there and there are tons of people trying to get in all the time. Are you local to Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
God I really need to step up my game. I have an in with the voice director for Skullgirls who is apparently quite well connected, but gently caress am I ever busy.

In other news, Asio4all is loving awesome and completely removed the delay on my AT2020 when using Audition. Highly recommended.

Nebulon Gate fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 26, 2013

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I've been playing with those Delayed Audio Feedback apps and boy do they gently caress me up. My wife (a teacher) and all her teacher friends are unaffected. I know accidental audio delay is sometimes an issue with computer recording, and, just out of curiosity, does it mess you guys up as bad as me? I think the teachers are immune because they have to ignore distractions while talking for a living, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm super sensitive because I'm used to immediate feedback on my voice so that I can correct mouth sounds, popping, sibilant whistling, etc. This is driving me insane, partly because they half believe I'm faking it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I'd rather have no feedback than my voice delayed. I ultimately just start harmonizing with myself in wierd ways and can't stop my words.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So inre to Star Wars. They have decided to just use the scratch track we had in there (which was done by an in house actor). Sorry guys :(.

At this point, though, I'm not even sure if they're leaving in ANY scenes where Vader's voice is heard.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My dreams are crushed. If I had gotten it you know I'd have instantly made additions to the wikipedia and IMDB character pages :smith:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

titties posted:

My dreams are crushed. If I had gotten it you know I'd have instantly made additions to the wikipedia and IMDB character pages :smith:

Ha, sorry!

Here's the actual video. It dropped today (crossposting this from other threads) - It was fun but there is a TON of footage on the cutting room floor :(.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/06/28/william-shakespeares-star-wars-trailer/

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

blinkeve1826 posted:

That's awesome! Can you talk a little bit about the process? How did you get in to audition? Had you been trying for a while? Was it through your own persistence, or through an agent (or both)? I know it's quite competitive down there and there are tons of people trying to get in all the time. Are you local to Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Basically, here is how it goes.

First, I sent an email to their audition section on their website. I am unrepresented, but a local to Dallas, so I was able to get one without a voice demo.

You call in and set up a time. When you come in, you pick from either a male or female binder with sides like that in it then pick three and look through. Those are from my second audition, and in my last one, I did three other characters, this time with a little more variety. They are always characters from already casted shows, and are simply for examples of your voice range (The newer ones were from Kimimaro and Masakaki from Control - Money of Soul and Possibility and Shinigami from Soul Eater)

You then go into a recording room, and they pull the sides you picked up on a screen in front of you. You slate for each side (state your name and who you are reading for) before reading through the lines. After the first read through, they give you some notes before you do a second read through. It takes about 10 minutes, then after that, you are done.

Like I said, I haven't been called back yet, but I do enjoy the experience. One piece of advice I will give anyone who is doing an audition like this is work towards variety if possible. They were impressed that I chose Shinigami for my last one, because I was the only person in all the people who auditioned to choose him, because he is a very out there character and not like anyone else in the sides.

And yes, I am a local of D/FW! If you ever want to contact me about any acting stuff, you can reach me at metalray (at) ymail.com. I do have a very old voice reel online, if anyone is interested in hearing it.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-Magx96xc

I did this with the barest of equipment, solely on a whim. The video editing is minimal at best. I just clipped together cropped images from a comic from toomuchmustard.com that I cropped some random night, and did narration on the random mic i found tucked away in a random drawer. There is no even touch of professional level equipment involved.

A) Critique of how I deliver lines. Too fast, too slow, too loud, too soft, etc.

B) How much does the quality of my microphone affect the delivery? Is it noticeable?

I LOVE doing readings and vocal performances, but I don't want to do them if I can't produce at least adequate quality with my recordings. If there is anything I can do to make my random mic somehow better, please, feel free to let me know.

For the record, I'm more interested in producing my own content, rather than finding a job. If I could find one, mind, I'd love it, but my talents need to match that level, and I don't know that they do.

Thoughts? And yes, I use freeware everything to assemble this, so it might be janky and lightly edited. I work with what I have.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

cucka posted:

A) Critique of how I deliver lines. Too fast, too slow, too loud, too soft, etc.

B) How much does the quality of my microphone affect the delivery? Is it noticeable?

I think that the delivery is pretty good, but that microphone is really bad. It sounds like you are recording it over a phone line or something. And it is clipping a lot, which makes it unpleasant to listen to. Is that an xbox headset mic?

I would invest in a USB mic to start, and then post another sample to get feedback on the reading. It's hard to offer feedback when the actual recording quality is bad.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

cucka posted:

I did this with the barest of equipment, solely on a whim. The video editing is minimal at best. I just clipped together cropped images from a comic from toomuchmustard.com that I cropped some random night, and did narration on the random mic i found tucked away in a random drawer. There is no even touch of professional level equipment involved.

I LOVE doing readings and vocal performances, but I don't want to do them if I can't produce at least adequate quality with my recordings. If there is anything I can do to make my random mic somehow better, please, feel free to let me know.

For the record, I'm more interested in producing my own content, rather than finding a job. If I could find one, mind, I'd love it, but my talents need to match that level, and I don't know that they do.

Thoughts? And yes, I use freeware everything to assemble this, so it might be janky and lightly edited. I work with what I have.

Unfortunately, the mic is really so bad that it is hard to actually hear you. When you are louder, it's just overloading the mic hardcore so it gets all static-y. In addition the music is too loud and drowns the voice out.

The mic problems are really too severe to even begin critiquing what I could hear of the performance properly. I know a fair number of us have dropped serious money on our gear, but even any random 20$ mic would be better than what you are currently working with. Sounds like you are using a USB wax cylinder phonograph. So, if you do want to do this as a hobby I would suggest looking on amazon for something that fits your price range.

Freeware is also no excuse for poor quality. I know a guy who used to edit an entire fan Batman audio play on Audacity and it sounded amazing.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

cucka posted:

You recorded this in a tin can but everyone already touched on that so I'm going to address your actual speech:

If you're going to commit yourself to a character voice, then you actually need to go balls deep and commit yourself to a character voice. It sounds like a white guy barely trying to do an impersonation of a raspy southern drunk and it's super weak. Work on developing a profile in your head of exactly how you want a certain character to sound (Wilford Brimley?), and then practice over & over again until you chip your vocal chords away and get there. Honestly, since you don't know what you're doing yet, expect to spend an hour or two on this small little vid. Record, delete, record, delete, cough, water, record, delete, etc...until you get it right.

As an aside, "Heckums yes boss" has no emotion and is too loud/grating to the ears.

EDIT: Why are you slurring so much in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-IbaIzAOdc

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 6, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Just gonna reiterate what was said above. The first thing I thought was "20 year old guy trying to sound like Ben Foster from 3:10 to Yuma". Every now and then you throw in this awkward Southern twang thing. And yes, you sound like you're drunk in the video posted by The Joe Man above.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Here I am quoting robodex:

Critique away!

Specialities: Just a confident, clear voice. No impressions worth listing.

Spent a couple years in high school doing Radio and Television Production. No professional experience at all.

Recorded in Audacity with a ten dollar 'Sing-It' microphone. Bass boosted in Adobe Soundbooth.

Costco.ca has the Blue Yeti for $99.99. Oh, yeah.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2013

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Alright, here is my voice over profile

Name: Metal Ray Sunshine

Specialties: I like to think I have a wide range of vocal areas, though I am not skilled in high pitched voices. I can do both cartoony and serious style roles. I can do most American and English accents. Characters can be from teenage to very old man. I can do announcer style roles, recitations, character acting (most notably wrestlers and old people), commercial voice over, and various others.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/listen/yjzj Here is a link to my VO Demo, though it is a bit old

IMDB/Portfolio: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpGHEH5MGV1cep1q3M8es_nKmztRGS6Jt here is a playlist of Audio related things I've done, though its mostly interviews and podcasts

Payment: Contact me through email and we can discuss it. Will do both big and small projects.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Name: Captain Bravo! (Exclamation point not necessary, but recommended.)

Specialties: Texan. That's probably the best description of it! To go into a little more detail, I have a Medium-range voice. It sounds a bit off if I try to go higher or lower, but that might just be my opinion. I come standard with a light Texan accent, not annoying but pervasive. If I'm not speaking conversationally, I can mask it a bit, but I'm probably best suited to stick with roles where a southern voice would be acceptable. I'd like to think I can do upbeat, informational, or clinical voices with equal skill.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Captain+Bravo

Contact: Email is best, as I don't have PMs. huddlestonorama at gmail.com

Payment: Paypal, email is the same as contact email.

Additional information: Graduate of UNT's RTVF, been working in radio, and to a lesser extent television, for a few years now. I've done a few voice things, but up to now only for credit, experience, or shits & giggles. Now that I am no longer a student, and have been thrust (kicking and screaming) into a loving terrible job market, I would like to attempt to do voice things for payment!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Hello New People!

Captain Bravo posted:

Name: Captain Bravo! (Exclamation point not necessary, but recommended.)

Specialties: Texan. That's probably the best description of it! To go into a little more detail, I have a Medium-range voice. It sounds a bit off if I try to go higher or lower, but that might just be my opinion. I come standard with a light Texan accent, not annoying but pervasive. If I'm not speaking conversationally, I can mask it a bit, but I'm probably best suited to stick with roles where a southern voice would be acceptable. I'd like to think I can do upbeat, informational, or clinical voices with equal skill.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/Captain+Bravo

First off, I'd upload a .mp3 to tindeck. That way people can play it right from the page. Right now people need to sit through a 25 MB download before they hear you. Remember every step a person needs to take to actually hear you is another step someone will refuse to even bother with.

What is your intended audience with the demo reel? Obviously it's all radio work, is that the only thing you wish to do? I personally feel (and anyone is free to correct me) that you should have a general "My voice range" demo, that covers most bases, but then you can tailor make reels for other purposes. If all you want to do is radio, then you're set. If you want to expand you will need additional examples.

You are suffering from a serious case of "Radio Voice". The flow is this slightly hypnotic lulling back and forth, which is not really good for a demo because the listener starts to tune it out. The weather report is one of the biggest offenders, but it's indicative of that radio encouraged up and down of pitch and back and forth of pace. Also there's a pretty heavy low end emphasis, but many radio mics do that, it's more a peeve of mine personally than anything else.

You mention being able to be more southern in voice, if you feel confident there should be examples of that. It also implies doing work other than radio, so you'll really want to start making examples that stray from the typical radio style voice.

You've got a solid medium range voice though, perhaps some nasal notes here and there, but by and large it's solid. You just need to show what you range is and really want to work on fixing some of the radio bad habits.

Name: Metal Ray Sunshine

Specialties: I like to think I have a wide range of vocal areas, though I am not skilled in high pitched voices. I can do both cartoony and serious style roles. I can do most American and English accents. Characters can be from teenage to very old man. I can do announcer style roles, recitations, character acting (most notably wrestlers and old people), commercial voice over, and various others.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/listen/yjzj Here is a link to my VO Demo, though it is a bit old
The sample given sounds good enough, but it is 3 years old. That's far too long to give adequate feedback. Too much may have changed, from your performance ability, to the recording setup. Also some of the performances don't feel terribly natural, there's definitely examples in the demo of voices that are beyond your ability at the time. The lower voices, the older ones, those just don't hit where you need them to be. Really though all that could be totally moot now because of the age of the demo. I'd highly suggest you do a new demo with new material.

tango alpha delta posted:

Here I am quoting robodex:

And quoting The Joe Man:

***There Was a Southern Drunk Here. It Is Gone Now.***

Critique away!

Specialities: Just a confident, clear voice. No impressions worth listing.

This is another example of "Radio Voice". It's not as apparent as with Captain Bravo, but it is present. So please refer to those comments above. You have a good low medium range though, it just needs to break out of the radio habits. There is also recording problems that might be from your mic. There is a loud persistent hiss. You'll definitely want a cleaner recording setup if you want to even do this just for fun. Also, new gear will hopefully mean you won't need to boost the low end of your audio. Keep in mind though that booming bass, is more a radio trend than anything else. I often REMOVE low end when I am mixing work because super low bass is simply not heard that way in real life.

I find the issues with these more the performance than the voice itself though. So I would explore finding something emotive to practice. Additionally for reading something straight like you did with the post, to find a way to find the right inflections and vocal expression to really see what's being said. It's a bit dry and ungrounded right now.

You also had a southern accent recording that was kind of missing the mark (which might be why it's gone now). You committed to it which I respected, but it's a great example of how accents are REALLY hard to pull off for a majority of people. Even with experience being drunk for example, which I have been, I find it hard to emulate convincing drunk speech. In order for an accent to not be noticeably "wrong" to a majority of people it really needs to be 95% perfect. Natives will catch that 5% but others likely won't. Even at 10% wrong and 90% perfect, people will know something is wrong.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Thanks for the advice! I actually just found out about this thread last night, and so I tossed what I had on hand into it. I've been looking for broadcasting jobs, and that's my radio demo that I already had on tindeck. I'm working on putting together a VA one now, but it'll probably be a day or two until it goes up there. I doubt you meant it this way, but since you said that my radio demo sounds like a "radio voice" I'm totally taking that as a complement. :v:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Thanks for the advice! I actually just found out about this thread last night, and so I tossed what I had on hand into it. I've been looking for broadcasting jobs, and that's my radio demo that I already had on tindeck. I'm working on putting together a VA one now, but it'll probably be a day or two until it goes up there. I doubt you meant it this way, but since you said that my radio demo sounds like a "radio voice" I'm totally taking that as a complement. :v:

It's more stereotypical, you are more "there" than "not there", but I feel like you could really do yourself a service by finding ways to improve things like the flow and pitch variance. Remember, if you are shooting for broadcasting jobs, the people considering you will be listening to a lot of demos. Do you want to be one of the many that takes similar shortcuts? I know it as a shortcut because I would do it myself. I do a weekly news podcast and it actually was a lot faster when I was doing my repeated up down intonation pattern. Unfortunately though, Joe Man picked up on right away even when I was unaware I was doing it. You'll want your demo to stand out because it is solid and what a broadcaster needs. Right now it's lulling and will make it more forgettable than your voice should be.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, I'm just very blunt. I'd not bother with all the words if I didn't think everyone here had the potential to be really, really good at what we like to do.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
JossiRossi

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my Southern Drunk just didn't work and I knew it deep down, so it's gone. Acting drunk *is* difficult to pull off realistically. I will read something with emotion and exercise my normal voice, instead of my radio voice.

And yes, my $10 mic sucks. I would like to upload unedited source. What do you think about the M-Audio entry level mics?

EDIT: Musician's Friend ships to Canada! Sweet.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 7, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

JossiRossi

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my Southern Drunk just didn't work and I knew it deep down, so it's gone. Acting drunk *is* difficult to pull off realistically. I will read something with emotion and exercise my normal voice, instead of my radio voice.

And yes, my $10 mic sucks. I would like to upload unedited source. What do you think about the M-Audio entry level mics?

Honestly it really depends on what you are looking to get out of the gear. I use my gear not just to record my voice, but to do Sound Effects, singing, and music recordings as well. So my needs will be very different from what someone only doing voice work. So what the best first mic, might be something better for someone else to answer honestly.

My suggestions for versatility would be to get a cheap but not bottom of the line USB Mixer/Interface and snag either a large diaphragm condenser or a solid dynamic mic.

One thing I do is trawl places like Sweetwater.com and Musician's Friend for deals. If you are patient you can usually get anything you need on sale. Particularly Sweetwater's show room sales. I can't recommend them enough. If you want I can pass along my usual sales guy's email. He's better at answering specific hardware questions than I am.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 7, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Here's something I recorded YEARS ago for a goon video game, well, the audition anyway. Got $100, and it was one of my first gigs. Also happened to be one of the last, because I became a web developer :\

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

Hello New People!

The sample given sounds good enough, but it is 3 years old. That's far too long to give adequate feedback. Too much may have changed, from your performance ability, to the recording setup. Also some of the performances don't feel terribly natural, there's definitely examples in the demo of voices that are beyond your ability at the time. The lower voices, the older ones, those just don't hit where you need them to be. Really though all that could be totally moot now because of the age of the demo. I'd highly suggest you do a new demo with new material.

Thanks, I am talking to a friend with some good recording equipment right now to work on a new voice demo. I have done some other things, including some drat good auditions for Funimation, but I am not able to gain that audio.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks, I am talking to a friend with some good recording equipment right now to work on a new voice demo. I have done some other things, including some drat good auditions for Funimation, but I am not able to gain that audio.

The voice you do in the beginning and at the end I am insanely jealous of. I'd be curious to see if your rendition of one of the voices is anything close to what I'm shredding my vocal cords trying to figure out.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Actors Today Don’t Just Read for the Part. Reading IS the Part. - Article from the New York Times about VO today.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hello VO thread! I come from a thread from a far away subforum and I am in need of your assistance! The annual SomethingAwful gameDev challenge has begun and we are already one week in. My team is doing a game about cooking meth ala Breaking Bad. The game will play out much like Parappa the Rapper. What I am looking for is someone who can sound much like the main characters Walt and Jesse from Breaking Bad. Bonus points if you can assist in lyric writing and understand what Parappa the Rapper plays like (just youtube if you are curious). Much like all of the teams, there's no money involved, just good spirited competition. However, there are prizes at the end of the tunnel if that may entice you to participate.

I can be contacted via email: poemdexter at gmail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-t-bUkfY8

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I have had my first professional audiobook released on Audible. Feels good!

Do you like thrills? Romance? Spies? Butterflies? Monarch has all this and more. Delight your ears with my dulcet tones.

If anyone is has any questions about the process on ACX.com, I can now say I've been through it all the way. And my second book contract is half way through production :)

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Lumpen posted:

I have had my first professional audiobook released on Audible. Feels good!

Do you like thrills? Romance? Spies? Butterflies? Monarch has all this and more. Delight your ears with my dulcet tones.

If anyone is has any questions about the process on ACX.com, I can now say I've been through it all the way. And my second book contract is half way through production :)

Congrats! That's awesome to hear :) Out of curiosity, for how many audiobooks did you audition before being chosen to work on one?

So is anyone here besides King Lou in the NYC area?? I have some things coming up that would be helpful to anyone at any level, but they're all in NYC. I have...

1) Two free seminars on getting started in voiceover work this Sunday, one in the morning and one in the evening;

2) A one-day intensive beginner voiceover workshop on Sunday, August 4th;

3) A seminar with a freelance casting associate who works with some of the busiest casting offices in NYC (and casts union and non-union folks), and;

4) A weekly beginner class and a weekly advanced class starting in September, both of which include a visit and feedback from a VO industry guest.

All of the info for all of these is here: http://www.listentomelanie.com/voiceoverclasses.html

Even if you can't attend these yourselves, please spread the word to those who may be interested. I really do my best to make my classes and events as helpful as possible for the people attending. :)

Also, I just had my first student from one of my current classes get her first VO job, less than halfway through the class! I was so ridiculously happy to hear that!! My students are listening to me and it's working out for them :3:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also, I just had my first student from one of my current classes get her first VO job, less than halfway through the class! I was so ridiculously happy to hear that!! My students are listening to me and it's working out for them :3:

That's awesome news, congratulations!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
So I'm sitting with my expensive Yeti and I realized I don't have any idea what I should be doing for a demo reel. I'm a young male with a deeper voice and I need a reel to get jobs. What kind of material should I be reading to show off my range?

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

Captain Walker posted:

So I'm sitting with my expensive Yeti and I realized I don't have any idea what I should be doing for a demo reel. I'm a young male with a deeper voice and I need a reel to get jobs. What kind of material should I be reading to show off my range?

Depends on your focus. If you want to do commercial work, do some reads of some Radio Ad Copy.

Here's some samples:

English Adult >> Commercial >> Business >> AT&T Broadband

Confused about choosing cable or a dish? Don't be. ATT Broadband gives you more. Go with Cable and get up to 230 channels on 2 TVs for only $39.99/month. Plus get free Cinemax, The Movie Channel and free professional installation on any Cable TV Package. Call 1-800-CABLE-ME today.

English Adult >> Narration >> Corporate & Industrial >> Clarins

Welcome to the Clarins Family. It is our objective to provide you with a warm and exciting environment filled with opportunity and growth. We attribute the success of the company to our “Commitment to Excellence” and our commitment to people.
This presentation will serve as a guide for all general information to assist its employees. The topics we will cover today include Employee Benefit Program Highlights, Company Policies as well as Personal Policies. Please follow along with the provided employee handbook.

English Adult >> Commercial >> Travel & Entertainment >> Walt Disney World Resort

It’s a magical time to take your little characters. Is your living room a living storybook? Is there a princess on your couch who looks a lot like your little girl? Or a little beast roaring through the roam? Then, it’s the perfect time to introduce your child to the world where that magic is real. - Walt Disney World Resort. Call today for your FREE Vacation Planning Kit. You’ll get everything you need to know to plan a Disney Trip with your preschoolers, and discover the magic through their eyes. Call 1-800-225-3124 for a Free Vacation Planning Kit.

This copy doesn't emphasize what the emotional range should be, but listen to similar ads and you can see what they might be looking for.

I still read sample copy to stay fresh.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

CuddleChunks posted:

That's awesome news, congratulations!

Thanks! Teaching has been such a great experience for me so far, in terms of reinforcing and reminding myself of what I know, keeping me on my toes and getting a better idea of what does and doesn't look/sound good to people...but this made me so happy :) I have a really good feeling about a few of my students in particular; the more motivated ones (and even the more reticent ones, with some work) definitely have the potential to take what I'm teaching and just hit the ground running. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one more person gets at least one more gig before the class is over.

Captain Walker posted:

There are a couple of different things that need to be addressed here, and since most of them are universal I'm going to address them as general advice to everyone here.

Captain Walker posted:

So I'm sitting with my expensive Yeti...

This is an important point for those who tend to be a bit spend-happy when they get into new hobbies: Please do not spend money on recording equipment before you know what you are doing. Please please please please please save your money. You have an "expensive Yeti" but little VO experience and no jobs lined up. I don't mean to pick on you, nor do I mean to say that a mic/recording equipment is not a good thing to have (it is), but that is not a purchase that has to be made right away, nor should it be.

When you're just starting out, you definitely DO need to be regularly recording yourself, playing back/listening to your recordings, and recording again. (You should, of course, be practicing regularly even if you're not a beginner as well.) For practice and even for basic audition purposes, though, you don't necessarily need to go out and buy a mic. The recording quality of the iPhone and iPad has gotten to the point that many professional voice actors are using them for auditions. Heck, I use my iPad for on-camera auditions, too.

There are PLENTY of things in which you will need to invest money if you plan on pursuing this to any serious degree, many of which are more important to have early on than a mic. It's much more important to have some training, for example, and know what you're doing with your equipment before spending the money on it. And I don't just mean technically, although that's important too, of course, to get the best quality sound possible. But as those with solid voiceover training and/or voiceover experience in this thread can tell you, voice acting is a whoooooooole different ball game than stage acting, or even on-camera acting. Knowing one definitely helps the other, but everything needs to be adjusted and refined for the mic and the setting. You can drop $1000 on a Neumann if you want, but it's not going to make you sound any more or less like you know what you're doing--only actually knowing what you're doing will. And that comes with training and practice, which can even happen with the mic on your iPhone or--better yet--in an actual booth of an actual recording studio in which you can get some actual practice with someone who can help you figure out what you need to be doing to succeed in this industry instead of blindly forging ahead without a clear direction.

Do you want to spend some money? Spend it on classes, lessons, books, business cards, a website, networking events, gas for your car to get to them, renting an hour of studio time at a local recording studio here and there to test out different mics so you actually know what you'll want to be buying eventually and are making connections with other industry folk in the process.

Captain Walker posted:

...and I realized I don't have any idea what I should be doing for a demo reel.

This is the result of the lack of the process I mention above. You need some sort of training. I can't emphasize this enough. I came into this with a background very similar to yours (10+ years on stage in community theatre, plenty of acting classes and training, unconventional "look" that I didn't think was right for film/) and I remember going into my first voiceover class all like, I got this, I'm gonna run circles around these guys who've never even HEARD of Stella Adler. :smugdog: And I did have something that some of the others in my class lacked, but interestingly, all of my acting experience wasn't it; it was more of just a natural ability to look at written text and "hear" how it would ideally sound. That said, it took an additional full year of voiceover classes, and a number of private sessions, for me to get ready and produce a decent demo. With my teacher. Who guided me every step of the way. It wasn't for another three years, audio production classes, more private VO lessons, 100+ voiceover recordings and a VERY thorough understanding of my voice and what I could do with it that I even thought about making my own demo--and even then, under the tutelage of someone with 25+ years of experience in audio production. It was six years (and more experience, and more practice, etc.) before I created one of my own demos completely on my own--but still with a TON of feedback before calling it a finished product. An amateur-sounding demo will show me that you don't take your work seriously enough to invest the time and money into creating a proper demo, or even knowing what that is and what it should sound like. A demo is something you absolutely must have professionally done. The only possible exceptions to this would be 1) catering specifically to an amateur market (fandubs, stuff for friends and family, mayyyyyyyybe very very local radio spots depending on the market, etc.) or 2) if you yourself are an audio engineer by trade.

Long point short, if you try to create your own demo at this point, it will sound like an amateur demo...in which case it might even be better not to have a demo at all. Which brings me to...

Captain Walker posted:

...I need a reel to get jobs.

No, you really don't. You don't need a demo to get jobs. Especially if you're just starting out--which you are--you're not going to be expected to have a demo right away, as they can be costly to produce. What you do need is a couple of solid samples of different types of reads you can deliver, for as many types of work for which you would like to be considered. You seem to have some idea of your voice type--that's a start. Start by recording some things on which you might naturally sounds best. Maybe a car commercial, medical narration, a book trailer of some sort. For commercials, record a hard sell, soft sell, guy-next-door spot, and maybe a :15, :30 and/or a :60, etc. Read up more if you don't know what these terms mean. For character work, record some samples of solid, sustainable characters you can perform, which are NOT simply "voices" or accents and are not created overnight. Record yourself reading an excerpt from a book aloud if you want to be considered for narration work. A faux telephone prompt list if you want to do that. These will give people an idea of what you can do and cost you a lot less time and money; plus, they can be updated as you continue to practice, learn and improve--something that is much less easy to do with a full demo.

In related news, I had a reeeeeally good meeting with someone from one of the top voiceover agencies last week, and I just found out that I got a callback for something really really exciting (on-camera). I don't like talking too much about things until I book them, but it's for a major network and it's right up my alley and I'm elated and terrified but very, very ready.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:rolleyes: That's just, like, your opinion maaaaaaaaan.

blinkeve1826 posted:

In related news, I had a reeeeeally good meeting with someone from one of the top voiceover agencies last week, and I just found out that I got a callback for something really really exciting (on-camera).

:monocle:

Pro Tip for folks new to the thread: When blinkeve1826, King Lou, JossiRossi and others give advice you should really pay attention. These folks know what the heck they're talking about.

(sorry if i missed anyone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Just finished a job for a healthcare simulator game, and I had to say a lot of unpleasant medical things in a calm doctory way.

Here are some random examples:

-I can see why you are complaining of stinging and pain. Your groin area is red, warm and slightly swollen.

-Mr. Jones, I am going to spread your buttocks so I can see your tailbone.

It's weird doing VO sometimes.