Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

To expand, here's how I use/maintain my planes.

I have a 5,6,and 8. I used to use the 6 as a jointer, but finally bought a #8 a couple months ago. When I flatten a board I first go cross grain with the #5. My #5 has a rounded iron, and I have no idea if the soul is flat or not, it's used for rough work only. Then I go at it with the grain with the #6 or #8 (depending on the length of the board), to remove the curves left by the iron on the #5. It IS important that these planes be relatively flat.

To flatten, mark the front edge, the front and back edge of the mouth and the back edge of the plane with a sharpie. Use a long piece of sandpaper across a table saw/jointer/piece of granite and start flattening. Keep one hand on the knob and one hand on the tote, and apply even pressure.

It's worth noting that many people make sure the sides of the sole are in line too, but if you're also using this plane as to joint boards you'll probably develop a convex hollow down the length of the plane, this usually keeps things in line naturally.

I baby my smoothing plane, and flatten it regularly, fortunately it is smaller and easier to flatten.

Regularly oil/wax your planes. WD-40 is good, but I like to use canning wax from the grocery store. It's amazing how much easier it is to push a waxed bottom plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Should I be wary of over-cleaning these planes? I'm not talking about anything abrasive, but I was thinking maybe some mineral spirits and a rag/toothbrush to get any gunk out. I have a few less-well-treated planes from my father's garage (by no fault of his: it's just that he lives in a rainforest with an average ambient humidity of like 80%) that I'd also like to do a little work on, they'll need a bit more aggressive attention but I don't want to go overboard.

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

Dust can lead to rust (salts in the dust catch water in the air). Your plan sounds good, I usually just oil my planes, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And flattening a large plane isn't too bad, you just need a large flat surface like a tablesaw or big piece of granite (check it, they are not all flat), glue down your sandpaper and go to town. Nice score on the planes.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

iwannabebobdylan posted:

Nah, but that was a huge difference when I first got the saw, for sure. I've had it over a year now and am on blade 8 or 9, and I don't remember ever thinking "Man, this saw is really cutting well." It's weird.

Does it have a start and a run capacitor? The run capacitor may have been bad, and finally failed completely.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

One Legged Ninja posted:

Does it have a start and a run capacitor? The run capacitor may have been bad, and finally failed completely.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

You are the man. PS testing capacitors is kinda confusing.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Bad Munki posted:

Holy crap, I am all kinds of excited today. Look what just came in the mail!

Some of grandpa's old tools. He was a fairly accomplished woodworker (which is probably where my father learned most of what he knows, after he married my mother, who's side this is from), and while most all of his stuff is still in use by his more immediate descendants, my aunt has been following my woodworking and sent me these from his collection. A few hand drills (largely nostalgic, although I can see them being useful in certain delicate situations) and, of greater significance, a no. 8, 6, 5, and--well, I don't actually know what the number is on the small one. They're all in superb shape so far as I can tell.

I have no idea if these are modern or not. Not that it matters for my purposes, there's a huge amount of nostalgia here, but I'd like to date them. Does anyone have that site with all the historical changes for dating stanley planes?

I have that Millers Falls brace and a set of bits. Yes Ill go to my cordless drill most of the time but sometimes Ill reach for the brace just for the hell of it. It is handy when all the batteries are dead or in an off grid situation. Youd be surprised at how well they work

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Holy crap, I am all kinds of excited today. Look what just came in the mail!

Some of grandpa's old tools. He was a fairly accomplished woodworker (which is probably where my father learned most of what he knows, after he married my mother, who's side this is from), and while most all of his stuff is still in use by his more immediate descendants, my aunt has been following my woodworking and sent me these from his collection. A few hand drills (largely nostalgic, although I can see them being useful in certain delicate situations) and, of greater significance, a no. 8, 6, 5, and--well, I don't actually know what the number is on the small one. They're all in superb shape so far as I can tell.

I have no idea if these are modern or not. Not that it matters for my purposes, there's a huge amount of nostalgia here, but I'd like to date them. Does anyone have that site with all the historical changes for dating stanley planes?

Very nice, those look to be in great shape. There are a couple good books that deal with just plane tune-up, sharpening, care, etc if that appeals to you. Otherwise there are some good resources on youtube as well- Paul Sellers, Rob Cosman for example.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm thinking about building my own computer desk.

What I'm considering right now is getting hardwood plywood for the desk surface. Is that a good idea? I don't have a workshop so plane/clamp/glueing boards together would be rather challenging to me, to say nothing of having to buy a zillion clamps to do something that large I assume.

I have a hand router, though no bits for it yet. I'd like to use that to round the edges. Is that even doable with good plywood or am I going to have to glue solid wood to the edge and router that? Without a table saw or anything it makes getting wood to the right size/accuracy rather challenging I think. For the legs I might use pipes or something like that. It'll be pretty basic but I like my desks to have lots of open space so I won't be doing any drawers or anything.

The other thing I am thinking of is making a raised part on the desk for a monitor stand. My first thought was be dovetailing the sides of the raised part to the monitor platform but I guess dovetails don't work too well with plywood? After some googling I saw other joint suggestions that work with plywood though again most of them want a table saw to make them.

So in short:
Is high quality hardwood plywood a suitable material for building a desk?
What is a good joint for joining 2 pieces of plywood at 90 degrees that doesn't require a table saw?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Squibbles posted:

I'm thinking about building my own computer desk.

What I'm considering right now is getting hardwood plywood for the desk surface. Is that a good idea? I don't have a workshop so plane/clamp/glueing boards together would be rather challenging to me, to say nothing of having to buy a zillion clamps to do something that large I assume.

I have a hand router, though no bits for it yet. I'd like to use that to round the edges. Is that even doable with good plywood or am I going to have to glue solid wood to the edge and router that? Without a table saw or anything it makes getting wood to the right size/accuracy rather challenging I think. For the legs I might use pipes or something like that. It'll be pretty basic but I like my desks to have lots of open space so I won't be doing any drawers or anything.

The other thing I am thinking of is making a raised part on the desk for a monitor stand. My first thought was be dovetailing the sides of the raised part to the monitor platform but I guess dovetails don't work too well with plywood? After some googling I saw other joint suggestions that work with plywood though again most of them want a table saw to make them.

So in short:
What is a good joint for joining 2 pieces of plywood at 90 degrees that doesn't require a table saw?

- Plywood is fine

- Yes you can round the edges on a good quality ply... however, consider (a) the look of it and (b) that the glue is actually really hard on the blade edge of the bit. You can put small grooves in a jointer blade just by running plywood over it. Otherwise you're right, the solution is profiled hardwood edging.

- no, dovetails would be sloppy to do with plywood unless you're using a router jig or CNC.

You'll have to go with a 90deg butt joint, I think, if you don't have a tablesaw. If you have a drill you may be able to put together a reasonably useful dowelling jig which will make for a very strong joint. You could also do some sort of locking joint, like a Lock Miter Bit or, cheaper, a drawer lock bit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Guitarchitect posted:

You'll have to go with a 90deg butt joint, I think, if you don't have a tablesaw. If you have a drill you may be able to put together a reasonably useful dowelling jig which will make for a very strong joint. You could also do some sort of locking joint, like a Lock Miter Bit or, cheaper, a drawer lock bit.

I was looking at some router bits like that but without a router table will it even be possible to accurately use them? Maybe some kind of jig with the router to keep it from going too deep I suppose?

I also saw finger joints suggested somewhere which might be more doable than dovetails I guess.

Also, thanks for the info :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm making an octopus mobile for my daughter, or maybe for a friend's new kid. Still needs some boats and fish and such hanging from the arms, but it's going pretty well so far. Secretly, it's actually a kraken and any boats hanging from the arms will be its ill-fated victims.

The hardest part was figuring out the joinery needed to get all 8 arms intersecting in the middle. Proudly, I did it in my head.

This goes on the bottom:

(Had a break from trying to force it when it was fitting too tightly, fortunately the grain was all intact and I was actually able to get the break to fit back into itself for an apparently perfectly strong glue joint which is hidden behind other arms.)

Then this slips into that, forming an X of 4 arms:

Then this goes over the two of them at a 45°:

And lastly the head piece slips down over it all, forming two imposed Xs of arms:

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
That's awesome! Clever on the joinery, made it look too easy.

What kind of finish are you going with?

e: Also the head looks like Jupiter

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I dunno, something simple, probably just something to keep it from turning totally grey. Not planning on staining it or anything.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Yea, it has a nice grain pattern. Since it is for kids, I'd just go with mineral oil.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was thinking salad bowl finish, but close enough.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
where is the dog chariot. where is it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

rotor posted:

Haha...she's not even walking yet, I've got time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
BUT I DONT

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squibbles posted:

So in short:

I also recommend solid edging and butt joints, dowels wouldn't be a bad idea. You can also reinforce the butt joint with wood corner cleats. Like so:

rotor posted:

Exactly, you can't mention something like that and not follow up.

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

re:desk construction

Dados could be cut with a router, but you will need some sort of cross brace to prevent racking.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Thanks for the further advice. Gonna have to take a trip to windsor plywood and check out what kind of wood to get :)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

re:desk construction

Dados could be cut with a router, but you will need some sort of cross brace to prevent racking.

on a monitor stand, the verticals aren't going to be all that high and it's going to be fairly stationary. He doesn't need to worry about cross-bracing and racking. now if he was doing the desk that way...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Router bit sizes don't match plywood sizes so it would involve making 2 passes. Not a big deal but dadoes aren't going to add much.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

Router bit sizes don't match plywood sizes so it would involve making 2 passes. Not a big deal but dadoes aren't going to add much.

They don't?

That being said, you're right that dadoes are probably not necessary when butt joints and corner braces are way easier.

Squibbles, do you have some idea how the legs are going on this desk? Or any thoughts on bracing/storage? I don't know what your design ideas are but if you're interested in making quality plywood furniture, I really recommend picking up this book by Philip Schmidt about plywood furniture design. He's got a couple good desk projects outlined and, more importantly, the beginning of the book is dedicated to showing you how to work with plywood as opposed to solid wood. (p.s. Baltic Birch, in my opinion, looks fantastic with a 1/4" roundover if you like the sort of modern look of exposed veneers)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

That's what I get for relying on my tablesaw and not ever using my router. Cool looking book btw.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Magnus Praeda posted:

They don't?

That being said, you're right that dadoes are probably not necessary when butt joints and corner braces are way easier.

Squibbles, do you have some idea how the legs are going on this desk? Or any thoughts on bracing/storage? I don't know what your design ideas are but if you're interested in making quality plywood furniture, I really recommend picking up this book by Philip Schmidt about plywood furniture design. He's got a couple good desk projects outlined and, more importantly, the beginning of the book is dedicated to showing you how to work with plywood as opposed to solid wood. (p.s. Baltic Birch, in my opinion, looks fantastic with a 1/4" roundover if you like the sort of modern look of exposed veneers)

I wasn't really planning on making any storage. My current desk doesn't have any and I'm fine with it. As for legs I was thinking of using iron pipe.

Oh also I noticed Lee Valley has plywood router bits I think. I'll take a look at that book!

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
I was hoping somebody in here could help me id some wood. I've been looking at the wood database linked several pages ago but I've only just gotten into woodwork. I recently bought a home made sometime around 1880 and the trim in some of the rooms has been painted over about 8 times. Since we're refinishing some of the rooms anyways I wanted to strip it down and refinish the bare wood. It would be nice to know what this is though.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
Looks somewhat like what we have. My rental house has a beauitful pine door with surviving molding around it and flooring throughout (with some large patches and other issues so it is carpeted now), it looks a lot different than what you can go to Lowe's and buy these days :)

This is a photo from the web, our flooring isn't at all in this kind of shape. Our doors and molding though have never been painted, which is amazing in a 125+ year old house.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Chickenbisket posted:

I was hoping somebody in here could help me id some wood. I've been looking at the wood database linked several pages ago but I've only just gotten into woodwork. I recently bought a home made sometime around 1880 and the trim in some of the rooms has been painted over about 8 times. Since we're refinishing some of the rooms anyways I wanted to strip it down and refinish the bare wood. It would be nice to know what this is though.

I'd guess Oak. Can you take a pic of the endgrain? Are those pics right after stripping, or did you sand it at all? 100+ years and a variety of finishes can really change the visual characteristics of a wood surface.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Chickenbisket posted:

Where are you located? That can help narrow things down in a house that old. They used all kinds of species back then that aren't commercially sold today. Oak wouldn't be my first guess, I don't see any rays in the grain.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My first impression was fir but more clues would help... pics of the end grain, is it hard or soft, heavy or light, are there pores, what part of the country, etc. Like said above, being that old it could be anything.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Chickenbisket posted:

Could be Pine.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I'm really thinking pine too. Looks like the trim in my parents house.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

With the streak of color in the center, it makes me think Poplar, but it's awfully straight grained for Poplar.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like old dry fir to me. I wouldn't count out pine, but my money's on fir.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
The photos are after it was sanded with some 80 grit. The house is in central Indiana. Ill try to get some photos of the end grain when I get off work tonight. Thanks for the help so far.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
On my phone I was leaning toward fir, seeing the larger pics now I'm about 50/50 fir or pine. Back then they could get some really nice pine. Whatever it is, reuse it if possible or save it, don't throw it away.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
I'm almost 100% certain that's Fir. That streak looks like a pitch pocket (or the remnants of one) which along with the colour pretty much seals the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
I got a couple pictures of the end grain. I'm not real certain on how to really gauge the porosity, I'm pretty new to working with wood, I've basically only ever worked with wood you can find in big box stores around here, so basically just pine. Most of the pieces are attached to the wall but I did take out the sash weight access panels and they seem to be fairly heavy for their size, they're maybe a foot by 3 inches wide by 2 inches thick and they seem like they seems fairly heavy for their size.