Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Does anyone have a dock that they recommend for a 13" Macbook air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Is anyone interested in a 2011 27" iMac? I've upgraded it with a 240GB OWC SSD and 12GB memory. I just picked up a new Air and I really want to get down to using just one machine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557426

DanManIt posted:

I've heard good things about the landing zone dock: http://landingzone.net/

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
If anyone needs to make a purchase soon, I have a $1710.93 store credit for sale ($1600). I'd prefer a check or 'gift' paypal transaction and I can email you the code, or we can meet in Atlanta.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

December Octopodes posted:

So if I just want to make beep boop sounds and haven't bought a Mac before is a Macbook gonna work? Or should I go ahead and save up for a Pro? I ain't no DJ, but I'd like to play with their toys basically.

Get an Air. They were just updated and are solid all around performers.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DanManIt posted:

Do you mean like a laptop stand dock or more of a port replicator? I have a thunderbolt "dock" that has video out, USB, and a bunch of other ports so it is more like a port replicator, but I leave a power connector on my desk and that thing so when I come and go I just have to connect power and thunderbolt and I am good to go.
I think mine is the Matrox DS1, but it is t a docking ration like you could get with a Dell or something.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

So, I have 1 small issue with my new air. The edge of the recess that the keyboard sits in seems to be scratching the screen :s. I know the tolerance would be pretty tight but I was fairly sure they wouldnt make it possible for them to touch...

I've had the thing in a sleeve the whole time Ive had it and it's only visible when the screen is off but its still pretty disappointing.

Any advice?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BigHandsVince posted:

So, I have 1 small issue with my new air. The edge of the recess that the keyboard sits in seems to be scratching the screen :s. I know the tolerance would be pretty tight but I was fairly sure they wouldnt make it possible for them to touch...

I've had the thing in a sleeve the whole time Ive had it and it's only visible when the screen is off but its still pretty disappointing.

Any advice?
If it's anything like my retina MBP it's not exactly scratching the screen, just touching it. Unfortunately, it transfers the oil etc that your fingers leave on the keys onto the surface of the screen. You can clean it off with a microfibre cloth and some of the lens cleaning fluid that you get from optometrists for eyeglasses.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

Mercurius posted:

If it's anything like my retina MBP it's not exactly scratching the screen, just touching it. Unfortunately, it transfers the oil etc that your fingers leave on the keys onto the surface of the screen. You can clean it off with a microfibre cloth and some of the lens cleaning fluid that you get from optometrists for eyeglasses.

I have been doing that since I got it, what is there now is definitely small scratches from the lip on the keyboard tray above the track pad.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you mean like a laptop stand dock or more of a port replicator? I have a thunderbolt "dock" that has video out, USB, and a bunch of other ports so it is more like a port replicator, but I leave a power connector on my desk and that thing so when I come and go I just have to connect power and thunderbolt and I am good to go.
I think mine is the Matrox DS1, but it is t a docking ration like you could get with a Dell or something.

Did your DS1 need any drivers for USB3 or Ethernet? or is it just plug and play?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BigHandsVince posted:

I have been doing that since I got it, what is there now is definitely small scratches from the lip on the keyboard tray above the track pad.
In that case you'll want to take it into an Apple store if there's one near you because it's definitely not supposed to be doing that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mercurius posted:

In that case you'll want to take it into an Apple store if there's one near you because it's definitely not supposed to be doing that.

Also remember that Macs have a 14 day lemon easy return policy, if you find any annoying problems you can usually just bring it in for a quick swap.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BigHandsVince posted:

Any advice?

Are your display housing or bottom case permanently bent such that this happens? If so, Apple owes you repair or replacement. If not, my only advice would be: Don't put heavy things on top of the computer when it's closed, or sandwich it between things that are going to crush it in your bags.

I have a 13" 2011 Air, but the chassis has barely changed in the 2012 and 2013 models. For what it's worth, with the display closed and looking at it edgewise with a lit wall in the background, I can see space between the display and the spacebar key. If you can see the same, you're probably pinching the machine when it's closed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

theperminator posted:

Did your DS1 need any drivers for USB3 or Ethernet? or is it just plug and play?

Totally plug and play. I have the one with DVI output since that works better with my 24" display (greater than 1080 resolution and no HDMI anyways).

It is super convenient to just have to plug or unplug power and thunderbolt when I come and go from the house.

It's pretty amazing that my air can run my old windows laptop as a VM in fusion or parallels and faster than my old dedicated windows laptop.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Are your display housing or bottom case permanently bent such that this happens? If so, Apple owes you repair or replacement. If not, my only advice would be: Don't put heavy things on top of the computer when it's closed, or sandwich it between things that are going to crush it in your bags.

I have a 13" 2011 Air, but the chassis has barely changed in the 2012 and 2013 models. For what it's worth, with the display closed and looking at it edgewise with a lit wall in the background, I can see space between the display and the spacebar key. If you can see the same, you're probably pinching the machine when it's closed.

Mercurius posted:

If you hold it sideways, you can see daylight on the other side. It must have been flexing in my bag or something when I've been carrying it. I was under the impression that this aluminium clamshell idea was a bit more robust than it actually is. I'm fairly careful when lifting/putting down my bag, there definitely haven't been any real impacts or anything.

I'm not massively concerned right now as the damage is pretty feint, however this is supposed to be a travelling machine, so I'm still a bit dissapointed. Have a bookbook sleeve coming today, that seems to add some material between the top and bottom when it's closed. Hopefully this will add enough so that there can't be anymore contact.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Thin and light are, unfortunately, the enemies of stiff and robust. Airs are solid for their size and weight (especially the 11", the 13" is noticeably less rigid), but this is one place you're just going to lose something compared to thicker and heavier machines (including Apple's own MacBook Pros).

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of a laptop stand type dock although I suppose either will get the job done

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My new iMac is arriving this week with a fusion drive. How does that work with bootcamp? Can I allocate a portion of the SSD to it or strictly the regular space? Can I do a mix of the two?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

TraderStav posted:

My new iMac is arriving this week with a fusion drive. How does that work with bootcamp? Can I allocate a portion of the SSD to it or strictly the regular space? Can I do a mix of the two?

BootCamp, when used with a Fusion drive, will only use the spinny disk portion of the drive.

edit: There's also no way that I know of to override this behavior.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fusion relies on CoreStorage which is an integral part of OS X, thus will never work for Windows.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fusion relies on CoreStorage which is an integral part of OS X, thus will never work for Windows.

Ok, I reasoned as much but wanted to understand that before firing away at partitioning.

I'm only going to be using bootcamp for steam games that don't work on Mac. Bummer it won't be able to use the SSD but there are worse first world problems.

Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TraderStav posted:

Ok, I reasoned as much but wanted to understand that before firing away at partitioning.

I'm only going to be using bootcamp for steam games that don't work on Mac. Bummer it won't be able to use the SSD but there are worse first world problems.

Thanks!

A pricey option, but you could consider picking up a Thunderbolt-equipped external RAID for that stuff.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BobHoward posted:

And don't step on it while getting out of bed. :smithicide:

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

gmq posted:

And don't step on it while getting out of bed. :smithicide:

Alright keeping my rmbp off the floor beside my bed from here on.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

You could always de-Fusion the drive and use it as two separate volumes.
I would actually recommend this method assuming the SSD is at least 128 GB.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

~Coxy posted:

You could always de-Fusion the drive and use it as two separate volumes.
I would actually recommend this method assuming the SSD is at least 128 GB.

Thanks for the suggestion but that sounds like a potential headache for minimal gain. I'm not a huge gamer so waiting a little bit won't kill me. If it were trivial, that'd be one thing.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't tried it, but from what I understand, using Boot Camp Assistant on a Fusion Drive lets you partition the hard drive for a Windows install, and would leave the rest of the Mac space available to be combined with the SSD for the Fusion drive. This seems to imply the same thing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

barking frog
Mar 15, 2004

I currently have this memory running in my laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231341. It's PC3 10600 DDR3, 4GB x 2.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini. Can I take the memory from my laptop and install it into the Mac Mini? (I want to upgrade my laptop to 8GB x 2, it's my main machine.)

I know the Mac Mini has PC3-12800, but my laptop and the Mac Mini have the exact same processor, so I would think it'd work.

barking frog fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 16, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It won't work, you might have the same CPU but it's bolted into a totally different logic board. Macs tend to be unforgiving in terms of using out-of-spec RAM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've used 1066MHz memory in a iMac that originaly had 1333MHz memory (mixed them, actually). I've also put the faster RAM from a 2012 MBP into a 2011 MBP but can't remember if it 'clocked up' or not.

No guarantees though...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ the recommended RAM for the Mini is 1600 MHz. Also, iMacs aren't Minis.

If you screw up the Mac Mini by not using Apple's RAM spec, be sure not to mention it to the Fruity Geniuses. Just have it switched out within a few days.

"The.. the goons told me it would work!!"

Here are the RAM specs for the latest Mac Mini.

Here are Apple's procedures for replacing RAM on all Mac Mini models.

If it *does* work, do give us the trip report.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 16, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I did the same thing without issue.

it changed the speed to match the lower RAM and worked fine. All up it was 2 different manufacturers of RAM with 3 different specs.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Fuuuuuuck. A drink spilled on my wife's Macbook Pro while it was on and it turned off. Pretty sure it's hosed but I don't want to try powering it on.

Anyone have experience with http://www.themacgeniuses.com/technology/macbook-pro-water-damage/? I sure as poo poo don't have the $800 for repair quoted by Apple.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Carl Seitan posted:

Fuuuuuuck. A drink spilled on my wife's Macbook Pro while it was on and it turned off. Pretty sure it's hosed but I don't want to try powering it on.

Anyone have experience with http://www.themacgeniuses.com/technology/macbook-pro-water-damage/? I sure as poo poo don't have the $800 for repair quoted by Apple.

It sounds like it's cheap - unless it needs parts, then it's not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I didn't see that it was going to be a NEW Mini - 10600 is probably going to be old for a new one.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Carl Seitan posted:

Is it unibody? Having taken apart many of MacBooks (pro or otherwise) I've seen that it's very hard to get water past the keyboard (unless you get it in the vents and suck it into the motherboard) for a general spill.

As a result the keyboard stops working which also has the effect of making the power button stop working.

If it's possible to remove the backplate the power can be manually tripped by completing one of the circuits (you'll have to look up which) with a screw driver. If it powers up you're probably just fine and need a $30 keyboard replacement.

Unfortunately replacing the keyboard on a MBP is probably one of the worst and hardest things to do even though the part itself is rather cheap. After you finally dig your way down to it by essentially removing almost everything out of the machine the keyboard is held in place by 40-50 little micro screws - just as a final "gently caress you" for getting that far.

If you're able to set aside an hour and a half and you're not easily disturbed by disassembling an already non working machine you will be able to pull it off.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Here's an odd question. I have two Macbook Pros. One is a work issued 5,4 and the other is my personal 8,2. I'd like to use my personal laptop as a secondary monitor. Is this possible, and, if so, what do I need?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

angor posted:

Here's an odd question. I have two Macbook Pros. One is a work issued 5,4 and the other is my personal 8,2. I'd like to use my personal laptop as a secondary monitor. Is this possible, and, if so, what do I need?

You can't use the DisplayPort for input on the MacBook Pros. But, ScreenRecycler does it over software

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bob Morales posted:

You can't use the DisplayPort for input on the MacBook Pros. But, ScreenRecycler does it over software

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

The Air Display people offer something similar as well.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I used Air Display to use an old iPod touch 2G as a dedicated SSH session viewer. My VPN was horribly unstable and I had to monitor it very carefully. It worked wonders. I recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I didn't see an accessories thread anywhere, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this — I'm having trouble tracking down a nice sleeve for my 13" Air. I don't want to put a hardshell case on it as I did my old Pro, which just got dust in it over the years and ended up scratching the body anyway, but I want to put it in some kind of hardy sleeve to carry around in my bag or whatever. I really don't want a neoprene case, and I'm having a hard time finding 13" sleeves that look quality. Any recommendations?