Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smr
Dec 18, 2002

Optikalusion posted:

The Behringer iStudio has worked flawlessly for me and has some neat features the others don't offer.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/iS202.aspx

I haven't used that personally but I've heard good things. If you're just looking for a guitar interface though, which seemed to be the gist of the original poster's request, it's way overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Re: The Instapaper/Readability/Pocket Question.

I was a beta tester on Instapaper and used it from day one and loved it dearly and yet I switched to Pocket around the time of the sale and haven't looked back. It has the best cross-platform support, I use the native client on my Mac and the Defer plugin + Pocket website on PC. The mobile apps for Android and iOS are just fine. I think Readability's text view is _slightly_ more configurable to a more-attractive-to-me variant but its other, many shortcomings outweight that (plus, I just find their original business model skeevy and haven't quite forgotten about that yet).

I flip between Android and iOS for phone usage and kind of hate the Instapaper Android app so that was the big last straw to make me migrate to Pocket. It works everywhere, does a text view almost as good as best-in-class (and handles Salon articles way better than Instapaper does), it's what I recommend to friends these days.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I thought plex might allow sharing the music but it only lets you access pictures and video between devices. You would need a central server to keep your stash of tunes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

nrr posted:

Does anyone know of a way i can access and use my iphone's music library on my ipad?

Google Play Music is free for <25K songs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

smr posted:

I was a beta tester on Instapaper and used it from day one and loved it dearly and yet I switched to Pocket around the time of the sale and haven't looked back. It has the best cross-platform support, I use the native client on my Mac and the Defer plugin + Pocket website on PC. The mobile apps for Android and iOS are just fine. I think Readability's text view is _slightly_ more configurable to a more-attractive-to-me variant but its other, many shortcomings outweight that (plus, I just find their original business model skeevy and haven't quite forgotten about that yet).

I flip between Android and iOS for phone usage and kind of hate the Instapaper Android app so that was the big last straw to make me migrate to Pocket. It works everywhere, does a text view almost as good as best-in-class (and handles Salon articles way better than Instapaper does), it's what I recommend to friends these days.
Do you find that you miss the discovery aspect of Instapaper?

I have tabs open from months ago on my desktop for articles I want to read later, and I figured it's high time to manage those. From a quick skim of reviews comparing Instapaper and Pocket, people say Pocket has a nicer interface but Instapaper lets you discover articles that other people have saved, which I'd think could be really useful (assuming the articles aren't complete garbage).

edit: Apparently Readability has a pseudo-discovery feature?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 17, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JHVH-1 posted:

I thought plex might allow sharing the music but it only lets you access pictures and video between devices. You would need a central server to keep your stash of tunes.

Somewhat confused what you mean here... Were you thinking via the plexapp that your songs from one phone or machine would automatically work on another machine and neither of them was the plex server?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

benisntfunny posted:

Somewhat confused what you mean here... Were you thinking via the plexapp that your songs from one phone or machine would automatically work on another machine and neither of them was the plex server?

They added a feature that let's you directly access pictures/video on say, your iPhone from another device like your ipad. It doesn't do music though.

Just checked and you can access them on the plex app (on my Mac in this case) as well, so it's a neat feature even if its only photo/video

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

JHVH-1 posted:

You can add an iTunes channel to Plex that should let you share your music through that, assuming it's all on iTunes. It works on my Roku, I haven't bought the iOS Plex app to try it there.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

smr posted:

I was a beta tester on Instapaper and used it from day one and loved it dearly and yet I switched to Pocket around the time of the sale and haven't looked back. It has the best cross-platform support, I use the native client on my Mac and the Defer plugin + Pocket website on PC.

Can you tell me more about this "Defer" plugin? Is it better than the Pocket extension for Chrome?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google Maps has gotten an update.

It has live incident reports for traffic, transit and biking directions, and apparently a better review system. Also it is universal now so we don't have to use Apple maps on iPad any more.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
WhatsApp is free today. Does anyone use this? Has it completely changed the way you use your phone?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

WhatsApp is free today. Does anyone use this? Has it completely changed the way you use your phone?
I like WhatsApp more than Line, but Line is doing a lot better in terms of expanding its functionality, like for something as simple as letting me send say, 10 pics at a time instead of individually. Also, Line has a desktop client.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

duckfarts posted:

I like WhatsApp more than Line, but Line is doing a lot better in terms of expanding its functionality, like for something as simple as letting me send say, 10 pics at a time instead of individually. Also, Line has a desktop client.

The multipic thingie has been added today to Whatsapp, but still no desktop client.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I use it all the time since all of my other friends use it. It has pretty much killed texting and iMessages for me.

Interesting thing to note: WhatsApp is moving to an annual subscription service model now. Free to download but it's $0.99 a year. It seems like it will still be free for life to those who have bought it in the past, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

terriyaki posted:

I use it all the time since all of my other friends use it. It has pretty much killed texting and iMessages for me.

Interesting thing to note: WhatsApp is moving to an annual subscription service model now. Free to download but it's $0.99 a year. It seems like it will still be free for life to those who have bought it in the past, though.

I just checked and it's not available in the US app store at this time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I have tabs open from months ago on my desktop for articles I want to read later, and I figured it's high time to manage those. From a quick skim of reviews comparing Instapaper and Pocket, people say Pocket has a nicer interface but Instapaper lets you discover articles that other people have saved, which I'd think could be really useful (assuming the articles aren't complete garbage).

They have a twitter feed of Top Reads, at least: https://twitter.com/topreads

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

withak posted:

Google Maps has gotten an update.

It has live incident reports for traffic, transit and biking directions, and apparently a better review system. Also it is universal now so we don't have to use Apple maps on iPad any more.

They removed the awful auto dimming "feature." Thank god.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New version of Chrome just dropped - it includes an Opera Turbo-like feature to compress web pages and save data.

That rules.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

EugeneJ posted:

New version of Chrome just dropped - it includes an Opera Turbo-like feature to compress web pages and save data.

That rules.

I know it sounds :tinfoil:, but I don't really feel like routing all my HTTP traffic through Google.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is it just me or are the Facebook apps a load of horseshit? Constantly freezing and/or crashing. Might just be my (old) iphone 4, but they're the only apps that won't cooperate.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Xabi posted:

Is it just me or are the Facebook apps a load of horseshit? Constantly freezing and/or crashing. Might just be my (old) iphone 4, but they're the only apps that won't cooperate.

Nope, they're just bad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Not just you. The Facebook app is actually a lot better than it used to be though.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
The FB app is horrible. When I took my iPad to the Genius Bar she made a comment about that app being a problem for users so we are not the only ones.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's a good app I can use to monitor tracking numbers?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

PaganGoatPants posted:

IFTTT

There is a recipe for that.

Boxoh Package Tracking is the channel.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

evilwaldo posted:

IFTTT

There is a recipe for that.

Boxoh Package Tracking is the channel.

Cool I'll try that then.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

PaganGoatPants posted:

Slice is the best. It will go through Gmail and obtain shipping info and automatically track things. I love it.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Aggro posted:

Slice is the best. It will go through Gmail and obtain shipping info and automatically track things. I love it.

Seconding Slice. I love IFTTT but Slice is super smooth.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

withak posted:

Plug the iPad into your computer and sync music the old-fashioned way.
Sure, except that defeats the entire purpose of my request, which revolves around not putting any music on my ipad to maximize space. I've got a 16GB iPhone and a 16GB iPad, and it's stupid to put the same 5-10 GB of music on both of them. I was hoping there was a way to connect them to each other via bluetooth or set up a shared network between them but it doesn't look like it's possible.

~Coxy posted:

Google Play Music is free for <25K songs.
But not available in Canada, unfortunately. Also doesn't have an ios app yet either, but this might be my best option so far if i can get around the location thing.

smr posted:

I have both. iRig sucks. Apogee Jam is perfect. Works with all of the apps you'd expect it to and, because it uses the dock instead of the headphone jack, the lovely feedback loop and noise issues the iRig has just aren't present. I use it with my Mac as well (comes with cables to connect to either iOS or OSX) and it's great.

I've tried/bought I think every possible audio interface for iOS and the Jam is the only one I've found to be worth a drat.
Thanks for this. Have you tried the iRig HD? I hear they basically fixed all the lovely jack input issues by changing it to use the dock input instead but I haven't heard from anyone who's used one.

Optikausion, thanks for the tip on the Behringer iStudio, I'd never seen that before. Looks pretty solid, but at $150 it's 50% more than the Apogee Jam and is probably more than what I need. Although of course, in the long run it'd save me money to grab something like that now instead of deciding later on that I want to upgrade to it. And I do love me some overkill...

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Delivery Status Touch is great.

http://junecloud.com/software/iphone/delivery-status-touch.html

I haven't tried Slice though, so that could be better.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Soooo, should I just give up? It's been like this all day.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Their developer license got revoked. You missed your chance to install it.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I figured as much :/

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I installed it a couple days ago and it seems like it won't launch anymore either.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I did not use Instapaper's discovery stuff; I always seem to be sitting on like ~60 unread articles at all times so I'm not wanting for more material. I usually fill Pocket up from these sources:

1. Salon's daily newsletter
2. Next Draft weekdaily newsletter
3. Digg's daily newsletter
4. Links out of the folks I follow on Twitter

I think there's a lot of overlap in discovery between these sources, particularly Next Draft, and what's going to burble to the top of Instapaper.

Pocket does let you share/send articles to other users, though I haven't availed myself of that feature yet.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

foobar posted:

Can you tell me more about this "Defer" plugin? Is it better than the Pocket extension for Chrome?

I like it more because it works with all of the save-it systems (Pocket, Readability, Instapaper) and allows for a right-click menu that either has a straight "Defer This to (service of choice)" option or a "pop this open in a new tab (you can choose new tab or current tab) in Text View of (system of choice)".

I need that right-click menu and the default Pocket app lacks it. My OCD hates open tabs and I hate having to open a link, click a button, then close that tab when a proper right-click menu lets me do all of those actions in one click. Defer handles this very nicely on Chrome.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
For anyone wondering about the GBA emulator, it sounds like it won't install now, and for those who have it it'll stop working whenever it checks to renew the certificate: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/07/apple-revokes-gba4ios-signing-certificate.html

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jigsaw posted:

For anyone wondering about the GBA emulator, it sounds like it won't install now, and for those who have it it'll stop working whenever it checks to renew the certificate: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/07/apple-revokes-gba4ios-signing-certificate.html
Ah, that'd explain it. I tried deleting and reinstalling this morning since it wouldn't launch any more. I wonder if developers using a similar trick will find a way to make an app never check for renewed certificates.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah, that'd explain it. I tried deleting and reinstalling this morning since it wouldn't launch any more. I wonder if developers using a similar trick will find a way to make an app never check for renewed certificates.

I read somewhere that if you only launch it in airplane mode it'll keep working, but for those who've tried launching already while connected to the Internet I don't know if that would fix it. I already deleted mine, so I can't test this, though. :(

Edit: I managed to redownload it by futzing with turning airplane mode on when the actual data finished downloading but before it checked the certificate (when it says "installing"). It launches fine without crashing when airplane mode is on.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I use it to message people with Android devices.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I installed it a couple days ago and it seems like it won't launch anymore either.

I just tried it and it opened for me…

• Locked thread