Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's our first look at Sterkenburg Cranach in Warriors Orochi 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Have they added any sort of lobby interface to the online portion? In Warriors Orochi 3 I remember it just kicking me back to the main menu a lot of times after doing some co-op and it was pretty frustrating having to go through setting things up every time.

Well, I've yet to play the game, but the back of the box (in my hand) says "Lobbies/Matchmaking". So, maybe. It also says "Salons/Service de Recherche D'Opposants" if that's better.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

PureRok posted:

Well, I've yet to play the game, but the back of the box (in my hand) says "Lobbies/Matchmaking". So, maybe. It also says "Salons/Service de Recherche D'Opposants" if that's better.
I wish the game had a salon. Zhang He hairstyling.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Man they must have brought out the B-team when translating this game. If you kill Diao Chan on Hulao you get a message that "Lu Bu's death has enraged Diao Chan" :v:

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man they must have brought out the B-team when translating this game. If you kill Diao Chan on Hulao you get a message that "Lu Bu's death has enraged Diao Chan" :v:
Actually if you do the things on mission that would cause a path break, without already doing the main story first, the game continues on like the other stuff didn't happen. So you can actually save someone that was supposed to die and have everyone be happy he's alive, then the next cinema talks about him being dead

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dj_de posted:

Actually if you do the things on mission that would cause a path break, without already doing the main story first, the game continues on like the other stuff didn't happen. So you can actually save someone that was supposed to die and have everyone be happy he's alive, then the next cinema talks about him being dead

And the game pretends player two doesn't exist, so for instance one level there were two Xiahou Duns running around :psyduck:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Anyone want to take a wild guess at how many cutscenes there are for Wu where someone gets fatally wounded and tells someone else to carry on in their stead? I mean, Wu always had a lot of those, but it feels like DW8 sets some kind of new record.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

dj_de posted:

Apparently the game was ONLY going to have japanese voices and apparently the reason it got delayed was people complained about it so they made english voices. And yes they originally said the PS3 version would have both on disc, but because they 360 disc can't fit both they ended up removing the japanese voices and are going to release them as free DLC again at some point

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I needed to know.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Belzac posted:

I'm going to edit the OP to warn about the 360 version. We've had 2 bad reports and 1 "it's not so bad" report so it's probably legit

I'll chime in to say that I also got the 360 version, and it's really not that bad. It is annoying, but it hardly makes the game unplayable. I'm working on finishing the optional tasks for the Wu story and I've had nothing but a great time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Is that a furry costume for Zhao Yun, arrgghhhh

Chiming in on slowdown--even the PS3 version has a few (very minute) portions with slowdown, and more notably there can be quite a bit of frameskip, especially when four main Wu characters are riding horses.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

abagofcheetos posted:

so for instance one level there were two Xiahou Duns running around :psyduck:
There can never be enough Xiahou Dun on this world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is that a furry costume for Zhao Yun, arrgghhhh

Costume? Man I thought that was a new character who would be fighting hand-to-claw with people. :sigh: Here I was getting excited for another monk-type character.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I've no idea what the hell that thing is that's in WO3 but I clicked the link anyway and seen this, and I haven't noticed it getting mentioned in the thread so:

Samurai Warriors 2 Is Getting A HD Remake Again

says it's out in Japan on 24th October 2013. Anyone reckon a worldwide release might follow? I've never played a Samurai Warriors game & was thinking of picking up SW2 at some point but it'd be worth waiting for this surely.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It was on the last page :(

And Tecmo Koei hasn't said anything about a US release yet. They didn't release SW3Z overseas so I'm guessing they wont?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To those debating a physical vs digital purchase of DW8 - it's an 18 GB download/install. The physical version has an optional install that looks to take 10-15 mins.

One thing I'll give Koei is that their release windows for the last few DW/WO games have been smart. I don't have a new compelling game to play right now, and won't for a little over a month. This was a no-brainer purchase, and I'm happy to give 'em my money for JUSTICE.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

isk posted:

To those debating a physical vs digital purchase of DW8 - it's an 18 GB download/install. The physical version has an optional install that looks to take 10-15 mins.

One thing I'll give Koei is that their release windows for the last few DW/WO games have been smart. I don't have a new compelling game to play right now, and won't for a little over a month. This was a no-brainer purchase, and I'm happy to give 'em my money for JUSTICE.

Conversely you can head over to the psn game share thread and gotten dw8 on release for $30 and two hours of download.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Who is Sterk and what is Atelier Rorona? The trenchcoat/sword combo isn't sending me good first impressions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raserys posted:

Who is Sterk and what is Atelier Rorona? The trenchcoat/sword combo isn't sending me good first impressions.
A JRPG from a few years back that is not known for its interesting characters.

Now, if they had put some Tales characters in there instead, we would be talking. There was even a (terrible, of course) Tales psuedo-Musou game a while back.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 18, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have played with a handful of characters / weapon sets I haven't previously, yet. Xu Shu's little rope sword deally is irritating. Too much mobility, not enough area of effect. Li Dian, and that loving waffle iron halberd, no thank you. Yue Jin and the hook swords were at least tolerable, but wonky. They should've been more grabby I felt, tedious to use. Overall I'm underwhelmed with 8's new editions and finding myself gravitating back to mainstays that are reliably powerful.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Onion Rings posted:

Conversely you can head over to the psn game share thread and gotten dw8 on release for $30 and two hours of download.

An 18 gig download would take me like a day and a half over PSN.

It would probably only take a couple of hours on Steam for me though.

:argh: SONY!

Anyway, I came into some unexpected money so I actually get to get DW8 this week. I was wholly expecting to have to wait on this for a couple of months and now I'm drat stoked. I even have money to get beer to go with it.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Jibo posted:

An 18 gig download would take me like a day and a half over PSN.

It would probably only take a couple of hours on Steam for me though.

:argh: SONY!

Anyway, I came into some unexpected money so I actually get to get DW8 this week. I was wholly expecting to have to wait on this for a couple of months and now I'm drat stoked. I even have money to get beer to go with it.

Really that long? They must have upped their bandwidth I timed it at 3 hours on my mediocre cable connection. May still wanna do psn if money is tight.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

5er posted:

I have played with a handful of characters / weapon sets I haven't previously, yet. Xu Shu's little rope sword deally is irritating. Too much mobility, not enough area of effect. Li Dian, and that loving waffle iron halberd, no thank you. Yue Jin and the hook swords were at least tolerable, but wonky. They should've been more grabby I felt, tedious to use. Overall I'm underwhelmed with 8's new editions and finding myself gravitating back to mainstays that are reliably powerful.

Aw, there are plenty of fun new weapons. The General Sword and Ring Blade are both quite entertaining.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I hate hate hate reading this thread now because it is making me really envious of the PS3 people because DW8 sounds so goddamn awesome. How long will it be until they fix the poo poo they messed up on the 360 with a patch :mad:

e:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume around the time the 360 really takes off in Japan. I'm sure it will be any day now.

Welp :sigh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I hate hate hate reading this thread now because it is making me really envious of the PS3 people because DW8 sounds so goddamn awesome. How long will it be until they fix the poo poo they messed up on the 360 with a patch :mad:

I assume around the time the 360 really takes off in Japan. I'm sure it will be any day now.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm going back through and trying to get the Wu alternate route. For the stage where you go fight the sorcerer, how are you supposed to do the hidden condition? Do you need to be playing a specific character? I rolled through with Sun Quan, but I didn't run in to anything that looked like the hidden objective.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tricky posted:

I'm going back through and trying to get the Wu alternate route. For the stage where you go fight the sorcerer, how are you supposed to do the hidden condition? Do you need to be playing a specific character? I rolled through with Sun Quan, but I didn't run in to anything that looked like the hidden objective.
If you have beaten the stage once already and look at it again on the story list, it should have the conditions there. The conditions don't usually require a specific character but sometimes one of them makes it way easier than the others.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you have beaten the stage once already and look at it again on the story list, it should have the conditions there. The conditions don't usually require a specific character but sometimes one of them makes it way easier than the others.

Yeah, I'm looking at the list and it says something along the lines of "destroy the source of the sorcerer's power" and that wasn't mentioned at all during the stage. So far they've been pretty good at telegraphing what you're supposed to be doing for these objectives.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The 360 version's problems don't make it unplayable or unfun. Go ahead and grab it; they'll patch it eventually. And if they don't, oh well. Still a good game.

Tricky posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at the list and it says something along the lines of "destroy the source of the sorcerer's power" and that wasn't mentioned at all during the stage. So far they've been pretty good at telegraphing what you're supposed to be doing for these objectives.

It's in a little room off on the west side of the map. It's just off the beaten path for the goup that takes the western path into the castle.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tricky posted:

Oh, is that the Wu mission where you're in the dream world or something? If so there's a big cauldron on the top left corner of the map you need to destroy, far away from where you need to go to beat the stage.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta say, I am very impressed they were able to top the insanity of 7's intro movie. Never thought I would ever witness someone mounting a horse, in mid air, while said horse is upside down, but here we are.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Maleketh posted:

It's in a little room off on the west side of the map. It's just off the beaten path for the goup that takes the western path into the castle.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, is that the Wu mission where you're in the dream world or something? If so there's a big cauldron on the top left corner of the map you need to destroy, far away from where you need to go to beat the stage.

Ah, thanks guys. That would be the problem - Sun Quan takes the right path on that stage.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Just need to echo that TK really seems to have nailed this one. Each weapon feels pretty fantastic, and then theres Zhang Fei, whose Musou is essentially a Command Grab. :getin:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wow they really didn't record any English VO for the story mode loading screens what the hell. :psyduck:

Does the music at least play during them in the 360 version this time?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Aw, there are plenty of fun new weapons. The General Sword and Ring Blade are both quite entertaining.

I have not tried those yet but I'll be on the lookout. The big achievement for me tonight was learning the significance of the H/E/M system and actually enjoying weapon-switching. I seriously thought those icons over their heads meant they were marked as objective-related officers at first.

TheTofuShop posted:

Just need to echo that TK really seems to have nailed this one. Each weapon feels pretty fantastic, and then theres Zhang Fei, whose Musou is essentially a Command Grab. :getin:

I liked Zhang Fei also because his C5 is a big, meaty "I'm sick of you, and you, and especially you" problem resolution tool.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

5er posted:

The big achievement for me tonight was learning the significance of the H/E/M system and actually enjoying weapon-switching. I seriously thought those icons over their heads meant they were marked as objective-related officers at first.

The tutorial really is worth playing, folks. The game has a lot of elements which, while not complex, are kind of unintuitive: the H/E/M system, Switch Counters, etc.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Wing Blades are drat awesome. Flying all over the place cuttin' fools up. I think I've got a new character to put in my favorites.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tricky posted:

Dunno if you've done it already, but I had to repeat that one twice because I did it too early the first time. The second time worked because I did the stage normally up until Gan Ji set the place on fire before going back for it.

Oddly it's been hard for me to get the game to register that I've defeated officers with Switch Counters. Do you not get a skill power-up every time you fulfill a condition? I thought I'd at least have the one PSN trophy for doing it now, but I guess not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I have the 360 version and while there's slowdown at points, it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Dunno if you've done it already, but I had to repeat that one twice because I did it too early the first time. The second time worked because I did the stage normally up until Gan Ji set the place on fire before going back for it.

Oddly it's been hard for me to get the game to register that I've defeated officers with Switch Counters. Do you not get a skill power-up every time you fulfill a condition? I thought I'd at least have the one PSN trophy for doing it now, but I guess not.

Pretty sure you don't get a skill every time or you'd be at the level cap in some skills after 3-4 battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Don't they always release an upgraded version of these games in a few months? I want to order this, but I'm happy to wait for a better version.