Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I spent the entirety of Witcher 1 turning down all advances from every sex object, and went especially out of my way to fly the ol' one-finger flag at Triss at every opportunity.

So why, then, is Triss still sleeping with Geralt at the start of 2? I don't get it, how can I tell this game in no uncertain terms that I am not interested in this embarrassingly hamfisted crap? Can it be modded out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I think you're playing the game wrong.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Revener I don't get you "get" Geralt.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Its okay to be disappointed that your choices dont carry over, but you are kind of overreacting. I wouldn't call it hamfisted

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Revener posted:

Can it be modded out?

Literally laughed out loud. I hope you're not this upset by video game sex.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itac8zHjt2g&t=431s :nws:

You could power LA for a week with how hard my eyes are rolling. It's less about the sex (adolescent and pretty sexist but whatever, videogames) and more about just really, really hardcore bad writing. It's so bad you can't even really laugh at it, you just have to sit there and absorb the fact that someone wrote it, and then someone else read it, and two human beings agreed it was juuuuuuuust right.

I'm not exactly eager for more.

Revener fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 17, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'll admit that the first game had a ton of awful, awful dialogue but the second game is definitely bearable at the very least. The sex scene with Triss near the end of Act 1 was pretty funny and not in a cringe-enducing way.

Also, having sex is sexist?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Revener posted:

I spent the entirety of Witcher 1 turning down all advances from every sex object, and went especially out of my way to fly the ol' one-finger flag at Triss at every opportunity.

So why, then, is Triss still sleeping with Geralt at the start of 2? I don't get it, how can I tell this game in no uncertain terms that I am not interested in this embarrassingly hamfisted crap? Can it be modded out?

But... they're in love. :blush: Apart from the beginning and one optional sex scene in chapter 1, there is nowhere near the same level of that stuff going on in Witcher 2.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Revener posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itac8zHjt2g&t=431s :nws:

You could power LA for a week with how hard my eyes are rolling. It's less about the sex (adolescent and pretty sexist but whatever, videogames) and more about just really, really hardcore bad writing. It's so bad you can't even really laugh at it, you just have to sit there and absorb the fact that someone wrote it, and then someone else read it, and two human beings agreed it was juuuuuuuust right.

I'm not exactly eager for more.

The first game suffered from a poor translation and unenthused voice cast. Further the writing is a gently caress ton more improved in Witcher 2. And compared to the first game the sex stuff is no where near as prominent as in the first and is no where near as cringe worthy.

And as an aside I really dont think the Witcher 2 is that sexist, at least compared to most video games especially those in the same genre.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Revener posted:

Aside from what everyone said about Geralt: One of the biggest things about Triss's character is that she's crazy for Geralt. She's the character that is least like all the others; she's the only one that's kind of nice, especially amongst the sorceresses. Though I do love that Philippa has been trying to get her to be more selfish and manipulative.

Also, I believe they said TW3 won't have the big choices like TW2 did. Probably hard to do that in an open world.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought the stuff with Triss in The Witcher 2 was legitimately good. But yeah some of the first game's stuff was rather cringe inducing. I can't blame him for being leery of it in the second game coming straight off the first.

But then I also didn't think TW2 was sexist at all compared to any other given bit of media, so...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Revener posted:

This isn't Mass Effect, where you make basically a blank template character "you", Geralt is a pre-existing character who behaves in a certain way, sure over the course of the games you can make some decisions but it's not gonna completely change the way the character works.

Plus him and Triss just spent the entire first game apparently never having sex sorry if they took the opportunity to do so while the weird prude that's been hanging around stopping it from happening was away.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair, from what I've read, while Geralt in the books was far from a prude, he didn't try to seduce everything that moved. The closest thing to that in the three I've read was a casual encounter with Shani in book 3.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I jump in this game? Is there seriously no jumping? I have already played half of Act 1 without jumping so if you actually can I will feel dumb.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

DrPlump posted:

How do I jump in this game? Is there seriously no jumping? I have already played half of Act 1 without jumping so if you actually can I will feel dumb.

Geralt doesn't jump, he rolls.

e: There's no way to jump. You can climb up/down some walls though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 18, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Can Witchers even biologically jump? Do the mutagens even allow them???

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
They can't, carrying all those ingredients. Forty sharpening stones are heavy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I also have it from Monstrum: A Portrayal of Witchers a reliable source that Witchers can't swim. They just sink.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Sharmat posted:

I thought the stuff with Triss in The Witcher 2 was legitimately good. But yeah some of the first game's stuff was rather cringe inducing. I can't blame him for being leery of it in the second game coming straight off the first.

But then I also didn't think TW2 was sexist at all compared to any other given bit of media, so...

The Witcher 2 is set in a world that is as sexist as all hell.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That doesn't make the game sexist though. And hell, it's less sexist than the real world was at a comparative level of technological development.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

That doesn't make the game sexist though. And hell, it's less sexist than the real world was at a comparative level of technological development.

There is one woman* in the entire game that isn't at least one of: a prostitute, gets naked, needs saving by our hero, may sleep with our hero, or is raped. Most get two. It's better than the original Witcher but you can't claim it isn't sexist. The real world's sexism has little to do with technological development and either way this is a fantasy game where the majority of women you meet** are prostitutes and the rest still get their tits out.

*not counting vendors and nameless townspeople
**this time I'm including nameless townspeople

Edit: I thought the stuff with Triss was legit good as well, especially compared to the first game, and even with it's faults W2 is one of my absolute favourite RPGs. I like the narrative, combat, dialogue, all of it. Pretty sexist though.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 18, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Cirofren posted:

There is one woman* in the entire game that isn't at least one of: a prostitute, gets naked, needs saving by our hero, may sleep with our hero, or is raped. Most get two.

Sile, Philipa (If implied nudity doesn't count), Saskia? And there's only one rape in the game that involves a character more siginificant than a tertiary so I'm not sure why that's even on the list except to invalidate that character as an example of a strong female character.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I haven't experienced any sexism in The Witcher 2 yet. I guess if you want to call the use of the word "whore" and the fact that the game has prostitutes as a sign of its terrible sexism then I guess the game is sexist.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
And let's face it, if Geralt liked men all the men would be sleeping with him too. Hell, I'm not even bisexual and I'd sleep with Geralt. Who wouldn't?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

And let's face it, if Geralt liked men all the men would be sleeping with him too. Hell, I'm not even bisexual and I'd sleep with Geralt. Who wouldn't?

I would, that's for sure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cirofren posted:

There is one woman* in the entire game that isn't at least one of: a prostitute, gets naked, needs saving by our hero, may sleep with our hero, or is raped. Most get two. It's better than the original Witcher but you can't claim it isn't sexist. The real world's sexism has little to do with technological development and either way this is a fantasy game where the majority of women you meet** are prostitutes and the rest still get their tits out.

On the other hand, virtually every female character has a significant level of agency, the women who need saving need saving for reasons that are entirely outside their relationship with the main character, a significant amount of time is devoted to how lovely certain patriarchal areas of life are for women, and (this is something that no video game EVER has done) it naturalises and normalises the female sex drive.

I'd say it does pretty well.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

The Sharmat posted:

To be fair, from what I've read, while Geralt in the books was far from a prude, he didn't try to seduce everything that moved. The closest thing to that in the three I've read was a casual encounter with Shani in book 3.

I've read all the Witcher books and he'll sleep with any pretty woman that shows interest if he's kind-of lonely or they press him enough. (And Yennefer is ignoring him/they're not dating/they're not geographically close enough to bone) Also, pretty much all the sorceresses want to sleep with Geralt because when they touch a witcher they give off "vibrations" [see walking man vibrator]. Geralt loves Yeneffer but will still sleep with other women because in the Witcher universe everyone is just some shade of grey.

To the guy who was annoyed about Triss sleeping with Geralt in the games... in the books they have a pretty serious relationship at a point and Triss adores Geralt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Though poor Triss seems to only get the serious relationship thing when Yennefer isn't around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

And there's only one rape in the game that involves a character more siginificant than a tertiary so I'm not sure why that's even on the list except to invalidate that character as an example of a strong female character.

This is the worst argument for anything I've seen in quite a while. I've never played the first game though, so what do I know.

I will say, the sex stuff is the worst part of The Witcher 2. But it's optional so you can just skip it, which is nice.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I will say, the sex stuff is the worst part of The Witcher 2. But it's optional so you can just skip it, which is nice.

Im sorry but you are wrong this is the worst part of the Witcher 2

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

SpRahl posted:

Im sorry but you are wrong this is the worst part of the Witcher 2

I dropped everything I was doing and prioritized finishing that quest because those fuckers were so annoying.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is the worst argument for anything I've seen in quite a while. I've never played the first game though, so what do I know.

The statement implied that rape was really common in the narrative and it wasn't.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been holding this game off for a while because I played the tutorial with a 360 controller (PC here) and wasn't feeling it at all.

I installed the combat rebalanced mod and a couple others, switched to KB+Mouse and I'm really enjoying the combat. I'm playing it on hard and once you get the hang of it things feel really fluid and the games just fun to play.

Quick question though, I'm in the prologue and my OCD pick-up-everything self is scavenging everywhere. I understand this is reminiscing on events so do these items carry over or should I just play the drat game?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

bef posted:

So I've been holding this game off for a while because I played the tutorial with a 360 controller (PC here) and wasn't feeling it at all.

I installed the combat rebalanced mod and a couple others, switched to KB+Mouse and I'm really enjoying the combat. I'm playing it on hard and once you get the hang of it things feel really fluid and the games just fun to play.

Quick question though, I'm in the prologue and my OCD pick-up-everything self is scavenging everywhere. I understand this is reminiscing on events so do these items carry over or should I just play the drat game?

Unless its been changed since I last did the prologue, everything you pick up will eventually carryover.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

Though poor Triss seems to only get the serious relationship thing when Yennefer isn't around.

This is one problem I have with her, after reading the books she's clearly taking advantage of the whole situation at the start of the Witcher game. She's way more involved with Geralt than a lot of other characters from his past though. I think it's going to be hard though to make people who haven't read the books care about Yennefer in TW3.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpRahl posted:

Unless its been changed since I last did the prologue, everything you pick up will eventually carryover.

Good to know, looking forward to see what this is all about

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this game play better with a M+KB or a 360 controller? I started it using the 360 controller because the entire UI looks like it was designed for that however now I am noticing that if I use the keyboard there is more buttons to quickly access things.

The only thing that is hard on the 360 controler is aming throwable items while under fire myself everything else seems like it is better for quick access to everything during a battle.

Most FPS games I play with M+KB however this seems more like an RPG/Platformer outside of the combat. Managing inventory would be a ton easier with M+KB so if combat doesnt suffer I may make the switch. If anyone has any suggestions on which to use I am open to hear it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
It plays great with a mouse and keyboard. Consider that it was a PC exclusive and then later ported to consoles I kinda doubt they would have made Mouse and keyboard controls atrocious. As to which is better I think it more depends on the person.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

DrPlump posted:

Does this game play better with a M+KB or a 360 controller? I started it using the 360 controller because the entire UI looks like it was designed for that however now I am noticing that if I use the keyboard there is more buttons to quickly access things.

The only thing that is hard on the 360 controler is aming throwable items while under fire myself everything else seems like it is better for quick access to everything during a battle.

Most FPS games I play with M+KB however this seems more like an RPG/Platformer outside of the combat. Managing inventory would be a ton easier with M+KB so if combat doesnt suffer I may make the switch. If anyone has any suggestions on which to use I am open to hear it.

I prefer mouse and keyboard, but I also preferred m+kb over a 360 controller for Arkham Asylum/City so maybe I'm just a sad, broken person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FrickenMoron posted:

This is one problem I have with her, after reading the books she's clearly taking advantage of the whole situation at the start of the Witcher game. She's way more involved with Geralt than a lot of other characters from his past though. I think it's going to be hard though to make people who haven't read the books care about Yennefer in TW3.

Well she is and she isn't. She's clearly kind of conflicted about the whole thing. She asks Geralt for some sign of commitment in the first game but also says that if he doesn't do it she won't say anything more and will try to understand...which she does. She's also willing to help Geralt find Yennefer even though she has to understand what'll probably happen when they meet again.

So yeah I'd say she's taking advantage a little, but also probably feels bad about it and is trying hard to restrain herself.

• Locked thread