Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've set Archonex as Recruiter so he can get people into the Alliance. Ideally we would be co-alliance leaders but that's not possible at the moment. I'm not sure if the functionality of the Recruiter fully works but it's worth a try. I usually head to bed around 8 Eastern so hopefully if he's on during the night to invite people and help them out. Also thanks again Archo for distributing the referral codes. With the latest patch's changes I can also transfer Alliance leadership which I will be sure to do if I take a break from DoF.

Also hoping to get some more work on the UI reskin today and maybe do a test release for at least humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been playing an hour or so a day for a week; I'm still in newbie protection and don't feel like I'm well versed in the game, but I'm pulling in a decent amount of gold from camps and my main town (Human, Southmont) so I've been buying Crowns and aiming for useful upgrades/tactics.

I added Extra and Archonex as friends just now and would like an alliance invite, I'm playing as Rexxed.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
On that note, i'll be sending out a new wave of referral codes once I get a chance to check my email and messages. Send me a request for a code if you haven't gotten one yet, and i'll pass them along until I run out.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Archonex posted:

On that note, i'll be sending out a new wave of referral codes once I get a chance to check my email and messages. Send me a request for a code if you haven't gotten one yet, and i'll pass them along until I run out.

How do I send you a request ingame?

KLazarus
Jul 16, 2007

In this as Darkinai, would appreciate a spot in the alliance. I'll be looking for you guys online.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ProZocK posted:

How do I send you a request ingame?

You'll have to message me when we're online. If you don't have private messages, you can just put your email here until I can send a code to you.

Though, given that, maybe it would be a good idea to set up a PGS thread for referral bonuses. That way people don't have to wait for me to hand them out.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

You'll have to message me when we're online. If you don't have private messages, you can just put your email here until I can send a code to you.

Though, given that, maybe it would be a good idea to set up a PGS thread for referral bonuses. That way people don't have to wait for me to hand them out.

Ok, my e-mail is "got my sweet dragon no e-mail for you".
Thanks!

ProZocK fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 16, 2013

menki
Jun 19, 2010
Heads up this game is $6.80 on Steam for the next 6 1/2 hours if anyone is on the fence about it.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
Decided to buy this game since it was on sale, it seems to be running much better than when I played in Beta. In as Zudrag, shoot me an invite to the alliance if you can, please.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Picked this up before it went back to full price. Downloading now. Let's see how badly I can ruin this.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm still around to throw people invites to the Alliance. Be warned you will probably have to relog once you get an invite to the Alliance to have the A-Chat work properly. I should be on more when the pathfinding overhaul hits but if people want another person to do a co-op siege with just bug me and we can set something up.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
I'm in as TheKinginAzure, looking forward to burning towns and hearing the lamentations of pubbies.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tarezax posted:

In as HuoShengdi and my town in the Wold, Xianyang. Look forward to fighting alongside you guys with my oddly pale-skinned soldiers :v:

Huo are you still in this game, i'd like to make you my referrer for being a bro in Wushu (i went by InspectaDeek in that).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, I just haven't logged in for about a week or so. Been going through my backlog to finish off Arkham City and The Witcher.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Gave the refer code to Archonex, sorry guys :(

Time to see how this game works!

Barn Door fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 15, 2013

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
That's perfectly fine, message me when I go online and ill send resourceS

AzureKing fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm in as Tulip. Orcs rule!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In as LordNikon, gonna be playing humans first time around. What two traits should I go for? Siege Mastery sounds like a solid first pick since trebuchets :black101:, but I'm kinda stuck on the second trait. Any advice?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Scyantific posted:

In as LordNikon, gonna be playing humans first time around. What two traits should I go for? Siege Mastery sounds like a solid first pick since trebuchets :black101:, but I'm kinda stuck on the second trait. Any advice?

Looter o h w a i t. Farmers or military i guess, i don't think you can really go wrong with any of the human ones.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I played this game at launch and there were lots of issues, but the only super annoying one was the lag during battles. Has that improved at all? I had to rely heavily on in game Help Chat due to the learning curve and general bugginess at launch so hopefully that is still populated by helpful administrators.

I just logged in to see if my city is still standing and its all there, unicorns and all. If I wind up sticking around and playing I'll definitely join the goon alliance or guild or whatever.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I played this game at launch and there were lots of issues, but the only super annoying one was the lag during battles. Has that improved at all? I had to rely heavily on in game Help Chat due to the learning curve and general bugginess at launch so hopefully that is still populated by helpful administrators.

There's still a nice big pause when you try to move a bunch of units at once but at some point in the future the semi-incompetent programmer for DoF (as far as I know there is only 1, maybe 2) is implementing a pathfinding fix that should help with it.

Hosting is P2P so the lag entirely depends on if your opponent or you have bad networking or you're on opposite sides of the planet or a combination or the two.

I've found the learning curve is pretty much as follows: Find the thing with the highest resistances you can get and abuse the crap out of it. Dragons are dumb good because every damage upgrade upgrades their elemental damage which no unit in the game has resistances for except other dragons and dwarves get a tiny tiny bit of fire resistance as well. If you face some jerks with a bunch of ice dragons you're probably SoL though. Dragons can also attack walls. Dragons can also fly over walls. Dragons can also fly away if their health gets low.

My siege strategy is literally fly in a bunch of dragons beat the boss into a pulp and win in like 3 minutes.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 15, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Extra posted:

My siege strategy is literally fly in a bunch of dragons beat the boss into a pulp and win in like 3 minutes.

This works up until you get a level 40 high knight boss that can eat entire battalions alive. At which point it turns into a very expensive mistake. :v:

Also, I sent out a new wave of keys. Given that it's starting to get hard to coordinate handling invites (Not that i've had much luck there.) and handing out and keeping track of available keys, I may set up a PGS thread where you can request them.

Also, if I missed sending you your referral key feel free to let me know and i'll get you a key as soon as I have one available. I think I have a few left right now, in fact.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 16, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Does the lag cut both ways? It's my least favorite part about using goblins. That, and they take up pop on a piece of crap unit that is nearly useless in sieges (save to jumping up towers to slit throats).

Does everybody use siege mastery or do they put up with comically inaccurate catapults, because holy crap catapults can't hit poo poo even with siege mastery. And is quests+sieging neutral towns basically 'how to get crowns,' i'm starving for crowns (and making so much of every other resource i can't figure out what to spend it on)

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

Archonex posted:

Also, if I missed sending you your referral key feel free to let me know and i'll get you a key as soon as I have one available. I think I have a few left right now, in fact.

Add me on steam and shoot me a key, please. I set you as my referrer when I made my account.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zudrag/

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I bought this game a while ago because I'm a big RTS fan, but I just couldn't get into it. The trading interface was clunky, pretty much everything was poorly explained, the graphics look like Jackson Pollock started working with paper dolls, and some of the quest text doesn't even match the quest. But I get hype every time I see new posts in this thread, because you guys seem to be so into it. Am I just poo poo at Dawn of Kingdom Fantasy Dragon Wars or am I doing something wrong?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ok so how do i win NPC sieges? I tried to assault Ma Tinro with my swamp orcs with a whole crapload of berserkers and 10 catapults and all i got for it was a whole shitload of losses and some really, really experienced berserkers. My army was like 590 strength and mostly berserkers, siege gear, and some goblins to die in place of important units. My leader was mass healing and things seemed to be going well until i got to the central courtyard when my berserkers just kind of refused to move forward any further, my leader eventually succumbed to...something, i think enemy slayers, and then they charged with everything and i hit retreat after it became clear that i was just going to continuously lose units. Was "break the walls, snipe off their ranged units, and crush skulls with berserkers" just not the right strategy or did i basically glitch out?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tulip posted:

Ok so how do i win NPC sieges?

If it's a solo siege just kill the boss with the ! over its head. If it's co-op kill the boss (which won't have an ! over its head in co-op) and all the enemies anywhere near the boss.

Spending your gold on training units to higher levels is often a better use of your resources then bringing low level units to die.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 16, 2013

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Could I get an invite to the alliance? I'm in-game as Sasha.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

This works up until you get a level 40 high knight boss that can eat entire battalions alive. At which point it turns into a very expensive mistake. :v:

Also, I sent out a new wave of keys. Given that it's starting to get hard to coordinate handling invites (Not that i've had much luck there.) and handing out and keeping track of available keys, I may set up a PGS thread where you can request them.

Thank you so much for the code man, now I can FINALLY build stone walls around my city

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
In as Protagorean, gave my referral to Extra. Been loving around for five hours, first as orcs, then as humans; pretty sure I'm doing it wrong. And maaaan, everything takes forever.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If any goons buy the game and would just like to get the ice dragon and crowns, refer me and I will send the code back to you so you can redeem it. Remember referrals are case sensitive. If you have SA PMs I will send it through that or contact me via steam, in-game, or give me an email address to send it to. Those starting crowns are quite useful in building up your first home city.

Protagorean posted:

In as Protagorean, gave my referral to Extra. Been loving around for five hours, first as orcs, then as humans; pretty sure I'm doing it wrong. And maaaan, everything takes forever.

Once your infrastructure is built up things become quite faster. The reason things take a while to build is because you never need to re-build them as everything is persistent. For the first few days sometimes it's good idea to queue buildings then take a break or head to bed. Thanks for the referral, I sent the code to you via PM. Those referral crowns should help you get your feet off the ground.

Makky posted:

Could I get an invite to the alliance? I'm in-game as Sasha.

It's hard for me to catch people when they're online (and both players must be online to invite) but I'll add you to friends.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 17, 2013

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, I guess I should admit that I bought this game a few days ago. Went with elves because I like punching myself in the balls. Archonex, I used you as the referrer. Lets see how long this lasts.

Edit: name in game is same here. JuffoWup

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Someone gave me a referral a while back but I never got around to using it and haven't played this in a while, so PM me if you'd like a key.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I should mention that if you're hard up on crowns, sieging Westerdale is really damned easy up until you come to the final boss.

The final boss is stationed on top of a stone wall, and is a high level high knight. So since there's limited space he can slaughter everything around him. The trick is to yank him down to the healing springs at the bottom of the wall so your units can heal while fighting him.

Also, to burn the city to the ground before properly storming it. Otherwise the AI will deliberately set it on fire while retreating to burn all your troops alive. Which is hilarious, but can cause some really panicky moments. :stonk:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
This game should actually be called Deer/Unicorn Tycoon. It would be more accurate (for elves) and still be more original than what they currently have.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Am i missing something big or are slayers just kind of pointless? They're anti-archer infantry, but they're not as good at it as goblin raiders, who have the benefit of 1)disposable and 2)evasion. Berserkers are better in every other situation. Is it just that they're midpoint units and are less readily countered? I guess they do well vs spear infantry?

Mounted slayers are kind of fantastic though.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Is there a reason my production (or at least what this admittedly "rustic" game is telling me my production is) has dropped off so much? I was generating almost 50 stone a minute thanks to my dwarves, and about 100 food a minute because of my deer spam, and about 30ish gold thanks to my Alchemy... Tree, and now that's all gone down to 14, 16, and 18, respectively. Is it because I had a huge burst in production, what with upgrading every single emplacement and tower slot? Or some kind of hidden upkeep? Is the game lying to me? I can't tell, because the averages are over such long periods of time, and it won't even tell me how much wood my wisps are generating :argh:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Protagorean posted:

Is there a reason my production (or at least what this admittedly "rustic" game is telling me my production is) has dropped off so much? I was generating almost 50 stone a minute thanks to my dwarves, and about 100 food a minute because of my deer spam, and about 30ish gold thanks to my Alchemy... Tree, and now that's all gone down to 14, 16, and 18, respectively. Is it because I had a huge burst in production, what with upgrading every single emplacement and tower slot? Or some kind of hidden upkeep? Is the game lying to me? I can't tell, because the averages are over such long periods of time, and it won't even tell me how much wood my wisps are generating :argh:

Are you close to your storage cap? Because there's a limit to how much you can bank and the tends to cause my production to go from 120+ to about 0 gradually.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Tulip posted:

Are you close to your storage cap? Because there's a limit to how much you can bank and the tends to cause my production to go from 120+ to about 0 gradually.

Nah, I've still got room for 10000 of my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Protagorean posted:

Nah, I've still got room for 10000 of my poo poo.

No idea. Are you using lots of sheep/cows/whatever? They get a falloff for overopopulation.

Any idea why sometimes my units just won't follow orders? I had 10 units of berserkers that just did not move at all during a recent siege. The rest of them were perfectly happy to climb the siege towers and everything, but the rest of them just decided they'd rather chill out where there's plenty of arrow fire. Once they got within a bowshot of the walls they just refused to move. No orders were taken, not any. They had plenty of stamina but just stood there getting shot.

• Locked thread