Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So my circle of friends started playing UMvC at parties and I'm basically incapable of doing anything other then spamming basic attacks and doing Trigger happy/Mad wheel/Katanarama on Deadpool. What's a good way to start learning?

I'm pretty sure I posted something like this awhile ago but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Anatharon posted:

So my circle of friends started playing UMvC at parties and I'm basically incapable of doing anything other then spamming basic attacks and doing Trigger happy/Mad wheel/Katanarama on Deadpool. What's a good way to start learning?

Mission Mode.

Then go to the UMVC3 boards on SRK and look up the Deadpool subforum. There should be tons of stuff there.

jgamer
Oct 21, 2010
I've always been a fan of the Assist Me series; it's not the most advanced stuff, but it's a nice intro to what each character can do.

http://youtu.be/zeGp29UPcEE

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anatharon posted:

Who are you backing up Deadpool with?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Who are you backing up Deadpool with?

Frank West and Amaterasu.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Anatharon posted:

Frank West and Amaterasu.

Which assists? I'm assuming Shopping Cart and Cold Star?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Which assists? I'm assuming Shopping Cart and Cold Star?

I had no idea that you could switch those.

jgamer posted:

I've always been a fan of the Assist Me series; it's not the most advanced stuff, but it's a nice intro to what each character can do.

http://youtu.be/zeGp29UPcEE

Is there more to this then like 5 minutes of some weird roleplaying thing? :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Anatharon posted:

Ah OK so you're really new then. Cool. :)

Here you go:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/deadpool

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Anatharon posted:

No. A lot of the poo poo they say in Assist Me! is outright wrong. Don't give Maximillian the view hits.

Go to Mission Mode and try to do the first 5 missions or so of each character. That will let you figure out which characters you're most comfortable with enough to actually want to learn them. Get used to the magic series (basically ) system and you suddenly can combo with everybody.

Everything beyond that depends on which character(s) you want to use. Assists will mainly cover your weaknesses or support your strengths.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Anatharon posted:

The important questions are: "How serious do your friends take the game?" and "Do you want to just dick around and have fun or get super competative/go to tournaments?"

If you're just looking to do a little better while you and your buddies mess around then spend some time in training mode, take a look at some combos on SRK, and try to hit around 600k damage with one bar combos. Most characters can hit 600k with pretty simple combos and that'll let you kill your opponents in two touches, the important thing is reliability. Try setting the training dummy to jump so you get practice juggling at various heights into your combos. If you want to go a step fancier try doing something like "call frank, teleport behind your opponent", this is a simple mixup that you should be able to easily convert off of.

If you want to get more competitive than that you'll probably want to get familiar with the majority of the cast and spend some time building a team that synergizes well. Deadpool, Frank, and Ammy are all good characters but I don't see them working particularly well together. Deadpool is a somewhat high execution character that tends to like keep-away and long range assists like Virgil's rapid slash, Chris's land mine, Trish's traps, and any of Dante's, Doom's, or Strange's assists; Ammy's cold star and Frank's shopping cart are both great assists but they're suited more for rushing your opponent down and they do very similar things so you don't really need both. Frank is a fairly easy character to play, but he needs a team built around leveling him up; Wolverine and Nova are both particularly good at this. Ammy is generally played as an anchor character and isn't too difficult to play but you have to learn to do her stance switches (down, down, button) in the middle of combos and many players dislike that motion. Learning to use your assists and point character simultaneously is one of the big fundamentals of the game, so once you've built a team that gives you useful assists to play with concentrate on using them frequently and safely.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ah OK so you're really new then. Cool. :)

Here you go:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/deadpool

Great, thanks. Is there a place I can look up what stuff like "reverse dragon punch motion" or canceling, advancing guard and stuff are?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Amazingly, the SRK wiki is a good player for beginners to try and understand stuff. The Jargon section has what you're asking about.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ultimate_Marvel_vs_Capcom_3

At the bottom, all the stuff under the getting started section will definitely help.

It may seem like alot, but it's really not complicated at all.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

Streaming now if anyone would like to watch, we have some good NYC players here so maybe it'll be helpful. We have a lot of fairly good Novas here if you're into that kind of thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
At this point, I've got doing combos and abilities down, and the two basics I'm having problems with are blocking and cancelling. Any advice for those would be appreciated.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
You'll need to be more specific. As a general answer, always hold away from your opponent to block. Certain moves and most jumping attacks will hit overhead, so you need to block those standing while other moves will hit low, which you need to block crouching. As a general rule you should always be holding either down+back to defend and block overheads on reaction since lows are much faster, or in marvel you can hold up+back to jump in the air and block, which will block anything. Up+back leaves you with a couple of frames of vulnerability when your jump starts, so it's slightly less safe.

Cancelling in marvel is generally pretty easy. Cancel any lighter normal into a harder one by just pushing the button at any time after the previous move connects. Cancel normals into specials the same way, then specials into supers. Certain moves, such as your S, can also be canceled into jumps to get an air combo going. You say you can already do combos though, so I'm not really sure what you mean when you say you have trouble with cancelling.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Blocking and teching get easier with time - MvC3 is kind of one of the most brutal games to get the hang of blocking since people love to use assist + teleport to set up mixups or assist + low/high to set up unblockables. In any case, you'll need to get hit with a mixup several times before you'll be able to anticipate and block it, sad but true.

MvC3 is really a game about mastering character movement and you'll find that once you're moving around properly you'll have to block much less.

Good blocking is definitely a mandatory skill to advance in MvC3 but avoidance is even bigger, basically.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Marvel is currently $15 on the Xbox Live store.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Ok so my friends invited me out to Evo this year to watch them compete. They have been trying to get me to play fighters again for the past 5 years pretty much, and I think they were successful this time. I don't have an Xbox 360 or PS3 or stick or know what the heck I am doing. Is there anything I should read to get a really new player in the loop? I haven't seriously played fighting games since SF2 back when it was a big deal in arcades or whatever.

I would ask my friends, but I know they would be completely biased because they even said they are. More than anything, not really sure what console to go with. I know new gen consoles are coming out around Christmas, but that's not even a concern to me. They said Xbox so I can run sets with them, but that is the only reason I would get an Xbox over a PS3 in my mind right now. PS3 sounds ideal for dozens of different reasons.

Any help with the starting points would be awesome.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mux posted:

Ok so my friends invited me out to Evo this year to watch them compete. They have been trying to get me to play fighters again for the past 5 years pretty much, and I think they were successful this time. I don't have an Xbox 360 or PS3 or stick or know what the heck I am doing. Is there anything I should read to get a really new player in the loop? I haven't seriously played fighting games since SF2 back when it was a big deal in arcades or whatever.

I would ask my friends, but I know they would be completely biased because they even said they are. More than anything, not really sure what console to go with. I know new gen consoles are coming out around Christmas, but that's not even a concern to me. They said Xbox so I can run sets with them, but that is the only reason I would get an Xbox over a PS3 in my mind right now. PS3 sounds ideal for dozens of different reasons.

Any help with the starting points would be awesome.

Read this thread's OP.

Re: console, get a 360. Having friends to play with is the most important part of getting into fighting games, and several popular titles run poorly on PS3 anyway.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Read this thread's OP.

Re: console, get a 360. Having friends to play with is the most important part of getting into fighting games, and several popular titles run poorly on PS3 anyway.

Awesome, thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for! :neckbeard:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The 360 version doesnt have the mysterious lag everywhere that PS3 has (along with SF4). This is why you always see Training Stage, to minimize the lag. On the flipside though, PS3 is getting Divekick, has Arcana Heart 3, and doesnt go out of its way to prevent indies from releasing/patching their fighters. Just look at what happened with Skullgirls. Of course a big thing is Xbox online play costs money while PS3 doesnt.

If you cant regularly get together to play with your friends, and REALLY rely on being able to play with them online, get an Xbox. Otherwise, the PS3 just has more going for it right now.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Divekick and AH3 are really really bad reasons for a new player to get a PS3.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

There are good reasons to get a PS3 over an Xbox, but to underscore what Brosnan is saying, they are all completely crushed by the importance of having friends to play with.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Brosnan posted:

Divekick and AH3 are really really bad reasons for a new player to get a PS3.

I actually won one of the Divekick codes on the IG stream, so I might have to either get a PS3 or Vita now :shobon:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Does anybody know anything about Shuma? I've been looking to replace my Doom anchor for a while and Angelic's showing on Sunday has me pretty jazzed for the character. Over on SRK P.Gorath is pretty down on him and seems to think he has to be played as a point character but I know Angelic was running him on anchor for at least a few matches. What do y'all think, is he a viable anchor or should I stick with Dr. D?

tynam
May 14, 2007

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Does anybody know anything about Shuma? I've been looking to replace my Doom anchor for a while and Angelic's showing on Sunday has me pretty jazzed for the character. Over on SRK P.Gorath is pretty down on him and seems to think he has to be played as a point character but I know Angelic was running him on anchor for at least a few matches. What do y'all think, is he a viable anchor or should I stick with Dr. D?

Totally depends on your team composition. It works for Angelic because both Wolverine and Dorm can do teleport mixups with Shuma's beam assist, and it covers their approaches really well.

As a solo anchor Shuma is definitely below average. The only thing he has going is the unknown factor - not many people know what his buttons are - and potential one-hit-ko combos with lots of meter.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Well, anchor Doom has some lovely matchups too, how do the two compare? I'm running Haggar/Dante as my first two, the main thing I need from my third is an assist that lets Haggar push his way in against full screen zoning and can be used to extend his combos; mystic ray seems like it'd be just as good as plasma beam at this, if not better because it covers the area above Haggar too.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Well, anchor Doom has some lovely matchups too, how do the two compare? I'm running Haggar/Dante as my first two, the main thing I need from my third is an assist that lets Haggar push his way in against full screen zoning and can be used to extend his combos; mystic ray seems like it'd be just as good as plasma beam at this, if not better because it covers the area above Haggar too.

Yeah, but anchor Doom has fewer lovely match-ups than Shuma. But play that team for the reasons you stated. I'm sure Dante can combo off MR; plus it nullifies missiles. He's not Virgil anchor, but with level 3 X-Factor he's pretty viable, especially with 3+ meters.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I believe BulbaMike, the French player, actually plays Haggar/Shuma. Shuma's assist OTGs, so Haggar can actually get some pretty stupid damage with it. Some people play Haggar/Doom (Missiles) and make it really annoying, and as Missiles OTG as well, you can get pretty creative with it. You have to be a bit savvy with assist calls to get the hang of OTGing and relaunching with Missiles at first, though.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I believe BulbaMike, the French player, actually plays Haggar/Shuma. Shuma's assist OTGs, so Haggar can actually get some pretty stupid damage with it. Some people play Haggar/Doom (Missiles) and make it really annoying, and as Missiles OTG as well, you can get pretty creative with it. You have to be a bit savvy with assist calls to get the hang of OTGing and relaunching with Missiles at first, though.

Bulbamike is from the UK not France, he mostly plays MODOK/Haggar/Vergil I think now but I think he still brings out Shuma. All I remember from playing him was how dumb it is to play wolverine with beam against MODOK when he actually cares about the game and I couldn't care less but he seemed a nice chap.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah Shuma's beam assist OTGs and that's a Really Big Deal for extending Haggar combos. There's no reason not to give him a try if you think you'll like him.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
So i'm fairly new to fighting games. I mostly just play casual marvel with friends, mashing buttons and clapping at the colors. However, i want to step up my game and start to actually learn how to play more seriously.

I typically run Dante/Vergil/Strider but i have no idea what i'm doing; what assists do i take, what position should i run them in,etc.

tynam
May 14, 2007

MrSquarepants posted:

So i'm fairly new to fighting games. I mostly just play casual marvel with friends, mashing buttons and clapping at the colors. However, i want to step up my game and start to actually learn how to play more seriously.

I typically run Dante/Vergil/Strider but i have no idea what i'm doing; what assists do i take, what position should i run them in,etc.

Dante pillar, Vergil rapid slash, Strider vajra is what I'd go with for assists. I'd personally go with Vergil/Dante/Strider lineup - Vergil can have some serious benefits from both pillar and vajra assists, plus you won't have to worry about incoming mixups with his terrible incoming options.

This team is a bit execution heavy though - things to learn are Dante BnBs that generate the most meter, Vergil sword loops and Strider lvl3 xfc combos + orbs combos. Strider is especially meter hungry, so generating as much meter with Dante is a must.

Your general gameplan is simply to kill kill kill with Vergil (made especially easy with the assists.) Make sure you convert any assist hit into a full combo - which should be easy considering how good both assists are.

When Vergil dies, it's up to Dante to generate as much meter as possible for Strider to play with. If you're already good on meter, you always have the option of busting out a lvl3 hyper for the kill. Remember to save xfactor for the next character...

Strider is an amazing comeback character with meter and xfactor. With lvl3 xfactor and orbs, you can OCV before xfactor ends usually through built-in solo mixups. Just remember that once you lose xfactor and have no meter, you're pretty much completely screwed.

What to watch out for the most is people snapping in Strider. The downside is obvious as Strider will get shredded apart on incoming mixups. On the upside, Vergil is now on anchor, and lvl3 xfactor Vergil with meter is just as dumb-strong as Strider there.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
And remember the ABCs of playing Vajra, Always Be Calling. Use Vajra to set up teleport mix ups with vergil, and with Dante just do it whenever since he can OTG off the hard knock down for a full, mostly unscaled combo.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Going Dante-Vergil instead of the other way around definitely has its advantages though. Dante will confirm much more easily off Vajra, and Vergil allows Dante to combo off of airthrows. With Dante on point you can always do a simplified combo that preserves the ground and wall bounces and just DHC into swords for big damage and even more meter.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012

VigilantePrime posted:

And remember the ABCs of playing Vajra, Always Be Calling. Use Vajra to set up teleport mix ups with vergil, and with Dante just do it whenever since he can OTG off the hard knock down for a full, mostly unscaled combo.

Just to make sure i understand what you're saying . Call Vajra assist, teleport behind,if the assist hits i go into a combo?

ie. On a basic level, play defensive, use assist to get a hit(constantly calling in?), teleport in and go nuts?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MrSquarepants posted:

Just to make sure i understand what you're saying . Call Vajra assist, teleport behind,if the assist hits i go into a combo?

ie. On a basic level, play defensive, use assist to get a hit(constantly calling in?), teleport in and go nuts?

Call the assist and use it to cover your teleport by forcing the enemy to block the assist. If he doesn't and gets hit, yay, you have a combo. If he does, then now you've got the opportunity to put some pressure on him or disengage if you think it looks bad.

Don't spam assists though. Vajra may be a great assist, but if your opponent's any good he'll learn your call and counter your teleport/blow up Strider.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

MrSquarepants posted:

Teleport behind a whole bunch until they block it the first time, then teleport in front of them. Have fun loving with their head for the rest of your matches

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Actually, Mystic Ray OTGing is pretty irrelevant for Haggar; even with Hidden Missiles the optimal extension is still "drop kick, assist hits, pipe, light hooligan". It should be better for Dante though, the best he could do with Plasma Beam was superjump canceling two volcanoes together, and wiping my opponents missiles off the screen with it should be really helpful for getting in with Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Omnikin posted:

Teleport behind a whole bunch until they block it the first time, then teleport in front of them. Have fun loving with their head for the rest of your matches

This. And you can do it with every single character on your team. My original UMVC3 team was Wesker/Vergil/Strider and all I did was call assists at quasi-random intervals and teleport to different sides of my opponent and it got me tons of wins. Teleports/assist mixups are awesome.

• Locked thread