Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's cool now google how much a physics or engineering phd can make in finance

or how much an cardiologist makes

and now you know why nasa has astronaut recruitment problems

that's fine if you want a job completely unrelated to your degree

most people don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Proteus4994 posted:

their budget is getting gutted weekly (same with darpa) so it's even worse than it used to be

if america's robot killing machines are going to be more futurama than terminator i'm in

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
guess what percentage of ivy postgrad STEM degree holders are hoovered into finance

it's certainly not small

Cream_Filling posted:

cardiologist has way more school/training to pay for

finance is the clear winner by far

im serious they fuckign love pure science majors

exactly and that's what nasa has to compete with

i'm very not happy about it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Proteus4994 posted:

that's fine if you want a job completely unrelated to your degree

most people don't

if you are math guy you will still be doing math stuff

just getting paid $200k base to do it. plus bonuses.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also 70 hour weeks which is totally different from academiahahahahaha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But before you polish up your resume, NASA isn't loosening its standards. You must have at least a bachelor's degree – most astronauts have a master's or a doctorate – in engineering, biological science, physical science or math. You must learn Russian, but be a U.S. citizen. You must know basic physics. Being a medical doctor or a teacher helps. You must have vision that can be corrected to 20/20, no high blood pressure and be between 5 foot 2 inches and 6 foot 3 inches.

Given these tight requirements, NASA will still probably get 3,000 qualified applicants, Kavandi said. The job pays between $64,700 and $141,700.

i've heard the astronaut corps is super straight-laced these days and that NASA basically won't accept anyone who admits to being actually enthused about possibly going to space. they basically want those loving honors student kids who just see 'astronaut' as another bullet point on their cv.

also is that just for the scientist-astronauts? usually the astronaut corps has a gigantic hardon for military pilots.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when the americans came back from mir, the doctors wanted to study the effects of long-term spaceflight (b/c the russians never really gave a crap about it and admitted they had just been using our old skylab data) and wanted the returning astronauts to stay still and not get up when the shuttle landed.

the hilarious thing is that contrary to initial expectations, the presumably macho military pilots were the guys who were the best at doing what they were told, and it was some of the scientist-astronauts who tried to be macho and "walk off of the shuttle" despite it totally skewing their medical data.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also 70 hour weeks which is totally different from academiahahahahaha

nobody does this in my department in oz, and yet our output is fantastic. it's liek they actually believe in a 40 hour work week here

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Blackula69 posted:

lol gently caress yourself, middle class

update since the last time this graph was posted: I still hate it

here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last I heard Americans work almost the most hours [second to hong kong] but are average in productivity

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
see also: medical/educational spending & results

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

qirex posted:

last I heard Americans work almost the most hours [second to hong kong] but are average in productivity

i spend like two or three hours a day working

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
true facts: on my last trip back to america it became even more blatantly obvious to me that working class americans are mostly miserable, angry people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Trig Discipline posted:

nobody does this in my department in oz, and yet our output is fantastic. it's liek they actually believe in a 40 hour work week here

i sometimes wonder how brutally they would crush a ta/student researcher union

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
the rich ones are miserable and angry all the itme too hth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

i spend like two or three hours a day working

same if not less

i'm definitely v good at looking like i'm busy and actually producing design through a combination of delegation and my bosses not knowing how much labor some things require nowadays

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

true facts: on my last trip back to america it became even more blatantly obvious to me that working class americans are mostly miserable, angry people

Oh man I'm excited for you to aeropress tomorrow you better not use lovely beans like a dumb idiot though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same if not less

i'm definitely v good at looking like i'm busy and actually producing design through a combination of delegation and my bosses not knowing how much labor some things require nowadays

working for aging bureaucrats is the best because they still think things take as much time as they did when everything was done by hand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

when the americans came back from mir, the doctors wanted to study the effects of long-term spaceflight (b/c the russians never really gave a crap about it and admitted they had just been using our old skylab data) and wanted the returning astronauts to stay still and not get up when the shuttle landed.

the hilarious thing is that contrary to initial expectations, the presumably macho military pilots were the guys who were the best at doing what they were told, and it was some of the scientist-astronauts who tried to be macho and "walk off of the shuttle" despite it totally skewing their medical data.

idk why that's surprising. of course the military pilots are gonna be more disciplined.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

working for aging bureaucrats is the best because they still think things take as much time as they did when everything was done by hand

i asked the ww2 vet in my office how long plans took to produce when it was all by hand

he told me that you could expect ~10 hours for one sheet depending on how much lettering there was

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cream_Filling posted:

the rich ones are miserable and angry all the itme too hth

No I'm not :colbert:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm in one, I get an almost living wage and health insurance

And like 4% off cell phone plans and public transport or something stupid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

university of california has a grad student union, it's part of uaw. seems kinda toothless, though.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Al! posted:

this is why i love my boss.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

dur posted:

VERY MISLEADING

needs to be log and start at 20k

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yospos bicth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm in one, I get an almost living wage and health insurance

And like 4% off cell phone plans and public transport or something stupid

Trig Discipline posted:

university of california has a grad student union, it's part of uaw. seems kinda toothless, though.

holy poo poo i had no idea these even existed :unsmith:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
lol literally like every TA/part-time prof/prof in Ontario is part of a union

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i asked the ww2 vet in my office how long plans took to produce when it was all by hand

he told me that you could expect ~10 hours for one sheet depending on how much lettering there was

conversely in ww2 aircraft were designed, tested, built, fought with, and obsoleted in less time than it's taken them to make the f-22 capable of flying across the international date line

alright there's a difference when you're talking proven technology vs. cutting-edge but the sr-71 went from requirement to first flight in two and a half years and foc less than a year after that, with every last component designed with pen and paper

if it hadn't been for the soviet near-monopoly on titanium mining and pratt and whitney dawdling with the engine production you could have probably knocked 6-8 months off that timescale too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah but i always wonder about stuff like how expendable test pilots were during ww2 vs today

i mean you can make the argument that with cad modeling and design tech like that having been around for awhile now that we might've already designed all of the "easy" stuff and now it takes more effort to improve existing designs

but really i think a lot of it comes down to cya stuff and testing in the modern world

and y'know funneling money into contractors' asses

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah but i always wonder about stuff like how expendable test pilots were during ww2 vs today

i mean you can make the argument that with cad modeling and design tech like that having been around for awhile now that we might've already designed all of the "easy" stuff and now it takes more effort to improve existing designs

but really i think a lot of it comes down to cya stuff and testing in the modern world

and y'know funneling money into contractors' asses

it's all that last one

also the f-22 has killed more of its own pilots than it has, or ever will, killed enemy combatants

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
actually to expand on that more, the f-22 isn't even particularly novel - almost everything on it is well-proven technology. the sr-71 (and the spitfire for that matter) were literally at the very boundaries of what it was possible to do with materials, engines, aerodynamics, even fuel and coolant technology.

it is literally because the procurement model for anything shoot-bangs, but particularly winged shoot-bangs, is

"here is a requirement pulled directly out of tom clancy's fevered brow, who can make it for us?"
"we'll do it, and we'll build it in your district too, and it will cost only a billion dollars"
ten years pass
"oh hey it'll actually cost 20 billion dollars but if you don't give us the money we'll close down our plant and gently caress your chances of re-election forever, also rush limbaugh will call you a pussy who wants the chinese to come over and steal all our poo poo, plus have you considered joining our board of directors once you leave politics?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's all that last one

also the f-22 has killed more of its own pilots than it has, or ever will, killed enemy combatants

a shoddily built house cries a single tear

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

one loving inch t:mad:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Can we get back to talking about terrible memes kickstarters now?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
ripoff of memes

thats impressive as poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its not a meme if nobody has ever heard of it ever

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

its not a meme if nobody has ever heard of it ever

it's yet another kickstarter about to get a massive smackdown from tard cats owners

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's yet another kickstarter about to get a massive smackdown from tard cats owners

wait when did this happen before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

wait when did this happen before

maybe it wasn't a kickstarter but someone was trying to sell merchandise for "frowny cat" or something and got smacked down, then changed it to "unhappy cat" and got smacked down, repeat ad nauseum

• Locked thread