Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BrainDance posted:

Hey you guys remember talking about used clothes store and stuff in Korea?

THERE ARE TOTALLY USED CLOTHES STORES IN KOREA!!!

Right by my apartment too. Got those shirts for ₩9,000 total.

Everything that has every happened, I don't care. The fact you bought that shirt (and I'm assuming wore it) has made everything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Any recommendations on where to get a decent deal on a dehumidifier? And does anyone have experience with any particular brands, etc over here? No idea what to look for but I've realized those hippo things aren't going to quite cut it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

guri posted:

Any recommendations on where to get a decent deal on a dehumidifier? And does anyone have experience with any particular brands, etc over here? No idea what to look for but I've realized those hippo things aren't going to quite cut it.

I got mine on sale on gmarket. Just a small room one. I ended up with two actually, going to try selling one on Craigslist or whatever, maybe you want it.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

DontAskKant posted:

I got mine on sale on gmarket. Just a small room one. I ended up with two actually, going to try selling one on Craigslist or whatever, maybe you want it.
Definitely interested. Send me a PM with details, etc when you get a chance.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

guri posted:

Your air conditioner, if you have one, acts as a dehumidifier.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

Gildiss posted:

Specifically, the 제습 setting.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Gildiss posted:

없어~

Wow. It's been a while since the sun has actually come out in Seoul.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that my apartment will be free from the 5th to the 15th.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Sorry in advance for the TMI:

So, one of my ovaries basically decided to explode a few days ago, necessitating emergency surgery. Rad! I'm going to be fine, but with the EPIK medical exam looming, I'm wondering if I need to let my recruiter know. I'll be completely healed and ready to go by the time I arrive in Korea and it won't affect my ability to start working or do anything. However, I do have a scar, and it's not something I can hide during a physical exam. I'm scared they'll get gun-shy about keeping me if they think I have medical emergencies all the time- I did disclose a hospitalization in early 2009- and I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to say something, or if I should just keep my mouth shut?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Never say anything ever to them if it won't matter anyways. There's no physical exam like that where they examine your body, just a blood and urine test.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I second saying nothing. If it's not a health risk to yourself or your students then it's none of their business. Only thing saying anything can do is make them worry, even if they do see it and question it, it's no big deal, the reason you didn't mention it is because it's so inconsequential you didn't deem it worthy.

My thoughts on it. Ask Toussaint about how I now feel about disclosing information. :bang:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bringmyfishback posted:

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to say something, or if I should just keep my mouth shut?

You know the old saying, "It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission?" That applies to just about everything here.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

I second saying nothing. If it's not a health risk to yourself or your students then it's none of their business. Only thing saying anything can do is make them worry, even if they do see it and question it, it's no big deal, the reason you didn't mention it is because it's so inconsequential you didn't deem it worthy.

My thoughts on it. Ask Toussaint about how I now feel about disclosing information. :bang:

Toussaint, story time?

Thanks, guys. Good advice all around, and I'm taking it. Hopefully, the only questions they'll ask about my reproductive area are why I don't have children at the unholy age of 28.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm sure this will sound ridiculous, but I've exhausted every other resource I have and was hoping someone here might be willing to help me.

The short of it is that there is a Korean game that a few friends and I are interested in getting into since the US version of it was shutdown last month. However, it requires a Korean cell phone number for verification, which I unfortunately lack.

Might anyone be able to help me make an account (four would be ideal, as I have heard that the same number can be used for each) or be able to help me procure a Korean cell phone number (even a cheap prepaid would be fine). I'd be more than willing to compensate for any time / effort involved.

Sorry to bother you all with something so frivolous, but I'm out of ideas. :shobon:

Finally figured out this process thanks to Cameron's help! :toot: But I was erroneously told elsewhere that one cell phone number could be used to make 3 accounts, but unfortunately it turns out to only be one account per number. So I'll need one (ideally two) more person to help. Basically the page (Which looks like this, by the way) will ask for a name, birthday and cell phone number for verification before the site texts a six digit code that has to be entered within 3 minutes.

The process takes maybe 5 minutes and would need a goon on chat (e.g. google chat, aim, etc) to relay the code the site texts to them. It'd all just be a one-time thing with no nag texts or anything afterwards. If anyone could help (I'd be willing to send some $ via paypal if desired) feel free to toss me a PM or an e-mail at my username at gmail.

Yeesh, Korea takes registering for their free games seriously.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ghostpilot posted:

The process takes maybe 5 minutes and would need a goon on chat (e.g. google chat, aim, etc) to relay the code the site texts to them. It'd all just be a one-time thing with no nag texts or anything afterwards. If anyone could help (I'd be willing to send some $ via paypal if desired) feel free to toss me a PM or an e-mail at my username at gmail.

Yeesh, Korea takes registering for their free games seriously.

Sure, man, I'll help - my user name here @hotmail.
I don't want paypal $, just brown gravy mix packets. I realize this might involve leaving the house.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ladron posted:

Sure, man, I'll help - my user name here @hotmail.
I don't want paypal $, just brown gravy mix packets. I realize this might involve leaving the house.

Oh great! Have you added whenever you hop on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

You know the old saying, "It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission?" That applies to just about everything here.

This 1000%. Never tell anyone at work anything and never ask if you're allowed to do stuff, just do it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This 1000%. Never tell anyone at work anything and never ask if you're allowed to do stuff, just do it.

Bingo. If you ask, and there isn't a clear rule that everyone knows regarding it, then they'll say "no" just to cover their asses in case it actually isn't allowed. Sometimes they'll say "no" even if there is a clear rule allowing it, because who the gently caress knows, some people are just assholes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Toussaint, story time?

Kant likes farms, food, and such. He's better equipped for Georgian (republic) village life than most Americans. He also did extensive research about Georgian government and regions. But he didn't lie about having a case of the sadbrains like 15 years ago, so they said no. Me personally appealing to the head of the program and the Minister of Education did nothing, though the Minister made fun of the decision and said it made no sense.

This is the same program that paid 250$ a month and had an alcoholic teaching kids about Reptilians, another drunk that started a dozen fistfights, and dozens of teachers who would dine and dash or skip weeks of class that never even got disciplined.

Lie.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 16, 2013

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Man, I sure do remember the last time you guys recommended 'Don't tell them anything they don't need to know'

Her other Ovary will be in here posting E/N threads soon about how it's attracted to Asian testes.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hey if anyone is in the market for a car I'm going to be selling mine (and its English navigation system) at the beginning of October.
I've taken good care of it, but, it's a (manual) 1994 Kia Avila, so it's a beater, but still really nice to have around if you live out in the countryside.
Kakao me (jarena3) if you're interested and we can work it out. I'm looking to basically just unload it so feel free to make an offer you like.

e: Perfectly working heat and A/C! That's pretty important, haha
Also as long as I'm doing this I want to sell my US XBox 360 with the following gear: http://pastebin.com/xMcchbvX for 250k OBO

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 16, 2013

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Never tell Koreans what they don't need to know. Things can get nosy and messy in the end. Ovary explosion (personally I didn't think this to be possible, but then I am not a woman nor married. Now I'm worried that my balls will explode :smith:.) is definitely one of them.

Adding to that, Koreans are nosy in general. Keep your answers short when you have to.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I just did an E2 visa health check (3rd time!). I was fasting before the test and my school asked why I wasn't eating lunch. I said well..you have to fast before the medical exam. My coworker called the hospital and said "it doesn't matter, you can eat." Given that eating screws up all the bloodwork in terms of diabetes, cholesterol and whatever else, what I took away from this was that they don't actually care about anything except HIV, drugs, and possibly whether or not you have TB. This last go 'round I did the entire medical exam without removing a single piece of clothing. My first medical exam the psych doctor's only question was "Do you have crazy thoughts?"

Never tell anyone anything it never works out in your favour.

Holding my balls a little closer today by the way. What a nightmare.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I deliberately didn't give exact details because it is gross and no one will want to be my friend and I will die alone with my lovely reproductive organs, but...my actual ovary is more or less intact.

Also, that story about the past clinical depression admission is exactly why I lied about nearly everything on my medical form.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
An online video showing a Korean woman apparently being harassed by a group of Western men in a nightclub was staged, two men who say they acted in the video have claimed.

The video, which has caused outrage online in recent days and appeared in Korean and foreign media including the Washington Post webpage, appears to show a number of men sexually and verbally harassing an intoxicated Korean woman. The men are shown cursing at the woman, filming her chest and forcing her own finger up her nose and into her mouth.

Some Internet users criticized the woman for being “obsessed with white guys” or claimed “what you get is what you deserve.” Others said she was embarrassing her country, calling her a “kimchi girl,” a degrading term used for Korean women.

After it attracted thousands of angry comments from local netizens and was picked up by Korean media, Max Fisher of the Washington Post wrote about the video on his official blog on Monday. His post has in turn been written about by numerous Korean media outlets.

Two men, however, separately contacted The Korea Herald claiming that the video was edited and was in fact part of a series of short horror films shot in 2011. One of the men said that the video had been shot to show the “horror” of how society treats people with physical deformities. In the controversial video, the men are also shown ridiculing the young woman over the condition of her teeth.

One of the alleged actors, both of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, provided a screenshot from a Facebook conversation showing the alleged director admitting that the video was staged. The apparent director of the video studied film at a university in Seoul, according to his Facebook account and a university website from 2004.

In the conversation, the apparent director said that he uploaded the video three years ago, but it had since been taken down and he was unsure of how it resurfaced.

“I can see the video is reedited and cut many scenes. I’m in (sic) page with you in announcing that the video was fake,” he wrote.

He also suggested doing an interview with the woman in the video to clear any misunderstanding. He added, however, that they should “wait a while” first before doing anything.

One of the men claiming to be an actor in the film said he had no idea the film would be used in such a manner.

The alleged director was contacted by The Korea Herald but had not responded by press time.

By John Power
(john.power@heraldcorp.com)

We been hosed!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Likely loving story.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

:siren: Reminder :siren:
Aussie goon is coming on Thursday. We are doing Myeongdong Gyoja around 5, then cocktails and make makgeolli in Noksapyeong, then bbq somewhere between there and Hongdae (maybe gopchang, but probably not) and maybe makgeolli cocktails and Wolhyeong/Wolhyeung. Times are up in the air but you are all bright people, you can guess approximates. If you want to come out, message me on kakao.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm so jealous :qq:

I went to a Korean owned Korean restaurant and asked for Dak-galbi. Everyone just sighed and pointed me to the bulgogi :smith:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm still not sure what people see in gopchang. It's chewy and slippery pieces of flavorless nothing. At least menudo you get some tasty soup to flavor everything. With gopchang, there's just so many other more flavorful options. I'm never grossed out by it when I have it, I just wish we had gone to get something else with our money.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
It's just small intestine.

Speaking of which, don't eat 막창 or 대창. Packed full of fat and nothing else.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I agree that there's way better food to spend your money on. If you end up having to eat it, go for the 전골 version because it has delicious soup.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

THE LUMMOX posted:

I agree that there's way better food to spend your money on. If you end up having to eat it, go for the 전골 version because it has delicious soup.

More like soup packed full of MSG.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Cheese Ramen.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

caberham posted:

I'm so jealous :qq:

I went to a Korean owned Korean restaurant and asked for Dak-galbi. Everyone just sighed and pointed me to the bulgogi :smith:

Don't you have to go to a specialty restaurant for dak-galbi. The ones with the huge woks in the middle of the table?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GZA Genius posted:

Don't you have to go to a specialty restaurant for dak-galbi. The ones with the huge woks in the middle of the table?

The huge wok and the tube ventalation over your table can be substituted by a hotplate and a disregard for fire/public saftey. They do that for the ROK restaurant on my old base. When you get like 10 tables ordering up samgyapsal with 3 kerosine burners providing heat, you feel lightheaded before the first shot of soju.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
막창 is amazing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not liking organs is a serious character flaw imho.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Not liking organs is a serious character flaw imho.

I eat liver or small intestines but 대창 and 막창 are just pure fat. You're basically grilling fat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aesis posted:

You're basically grilling fat.

I'm failing to see the issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Some places will serve 닭똥집 covered in lovely melted cheese and is phenomenal when you are drunk

• Locked thread