Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Since "the mind is nothing but a plaything of the body," I wonder how much of Hetty's murderhappy psychophilia comes from being stuck in that tiny doll form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hetty is actually Mort in disguise who is pulling an intricate long con with the goal to finally scare Annie.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 17, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Perestroika posted:

Hetty is actually Mort in disguise who is pulling an intricate long con with the goal to finally scare Annie.

Or maybe just scaring Renard.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Perestroika posted:

Maybe she's a double agent who is testing to see if Renard is still evil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The evil doll represents the sort of complex psychodrama not seen since Black Swan. We can only begin to guess at her layers of deep and realized motivation.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Am I right, guys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Haledjian posted:

Am I right, guys.

This is why we can't outlaw evil dolls. Because criminals don't obey the law.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I just think Renard should just be more stern in his disapproval.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Mine is from Arsenic & Old Lace. But I like Raven Renard.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Oz posted:

Oh man, if this turns out to be true then that would be a total mindfuck. A magical doll driven insane by the murder of her friend and master, bent on revenge!

And then Tom pulls a double fake out and "killing his sister" meant that Adam suggested they go swimming and she drowned.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Can Renard even do anything to her? She has a mark of ownership, after all. Taking possession of her in any way would invalidate that, allowing her to get REALLY creative.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Razorwired posted:

And then Tom pulls a double fake out and "killing his sister" meant that Adam suggested they go swimming and she drowned.

maybe the boy's got a really bad case of survivor guilt and the doll is just following implied orders

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

Can Renard even do anything to her? She has a mark of ownership, after all. Taking possession of her in any way would invalidate that, allowing her to get REALLY creative.

He's a big wolf-creature. She's a puppet.

Somehow I doubt this would need to involve supernatural abilities on his part.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I hope Renard isn't going to get involved in this. Though Hetty strikes me as the type to seek revenge if he doesn't help her.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tollymain posted:

He's a big wolf-creature. She's a puppet.

Somehow I doubt this would need to involve supernatural abilities on his part.

Technically he's a puppet as well.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Razorwired posted:

ooo, now I find that even more intriguing. Hetty putting 'accident' in quotation marks because the girls death was described as accidental but Hetty believes that it was her brother's fault.

I love speculation, even if it turns out to be false.

Oz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 18, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Brainamp posted:

Technically he's a puppet as well.

He's a puppet that could pick her up and drop her in a thresher, I think is what was implied. He could just, you know, step on her repeatedly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We haven't actually seen if Hetty can shift out of her doll form, mind. For all we know this cracking and splintering is just her other form pushing through, like how Renard can selectively manifest his lockpicks or turn into a wolf-hunk for inadvisable reasons.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Guys guys guys. Maybe the arsenic is somewhere were children could accidentally ingest it. She's crazy...about safety!

:suicide:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, gonna hop on board the Hetty-killed-Adam's-sister-speculation train. She has clearly expressed that she doesn't like being "owned" and doesn't seem to care too terrible much about killing humans. Killing Adam's sister would normally free Hetty of the contract, so I suggest that she is actually expressing frustration with herself when she says "how was I to know she had secretly left my contract of ownership to her little brother in her diary" because her plan to free herself had a flaw she was unaware of. Hetty insists that Adam has been a terror to her and has kept her trapped in her doll body to get Rey to play along, yet she admits that Adam doesn't even know she exists. The only reason I can think of why she would want to keep hiding herself from Adam is due to the terms of the contract possibly stating that the owner can tell the "owned" to do anything they want, similar to how Rey is completely under the control of Annie. My guess is that the contract basically runs on the technicality of the owner being required to tell the owned not to kill them or anyone else without permission in order to prevent their death. Rey "can't" do it because he cares for Annie (and Surma), but he's done things without her approval before (think sabotaging science fair projects: "you never told me not to do it"). If Hetty remains unknown to Adam, this possibility of being told she can't kill is nil.

Of course this is alllllll purely speculation, and we'll find out what the truth is, but trying to make sense of this -- to me -- points entirely to Hetty simply doing whatever it takes to free herself. Soft-selling her plans to Rey, who we know loves humans, as tricks and pranks is a way to get her access to the things she needs to kill while she bides her time with small tortures.

I'd also think that Hetty showing cracks and things is actually just showing what she really looks like, possibly already damaged from kids being rough with their toys. You'll notice that when her mark starts to fade in that her color fades out, including her cheeks. She can keep that clean veneer going (I also think that's what the orange dots surrounding her head possibly signify) as long as she doesn't stop concentrating to fantasize about freeing herself. She's obviously highly interested in appearances, since she gives Rey crap about his a lot.

tl;dr: :spergin:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

you guys crack me up

Gorgeous art all around.

This is really great and needs some love.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
I don't know about you, but Hetty kind of freaks me out.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Renard could probably just walk up to Adam and be all "hey you should probably tell this doll to never take any action against you" if it comes down to that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ChairMaster posted:

Renard could probably just walk up to Adam and be all "hey you should probably tell this doll to never take any action against you" if it comes down to that.

Sure, but then you start getting into technicalities and what not. For example, setting Adam on fire: bad, can't do. Preparing things such that Adam will accidentally set himself on fire? A-Ok.

Probably best to just get rid of the homicidal doll that's trying to kill you at that point.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Have we already floated the idea in here that she's one of Coyote's evil shadow people given body-taking power over inanimate objects? He could be seeding the court with spies.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just finished reading Annie in the Forest. I won't talk about the story because of spoilers and, well, because it's clearly secondary at this point. There's just enough dialogue and action to set the stage; the pacing ends up feeling a bit odd, but the compromise was more than worth it in my opinion.

So, what do we get in exchange for a bare-bones narrative? We get irreproachable art, that's what. The larger format and severe cut down on those pesky balloons mean that while there is little actually happening, what does happen looks dynamic, lifelike and all-in-all loving amazing. The establishing shots are fantastic, Mama Anwyn's hair is great, Ysengrin is a goddamn masterpiece and Annie has never been more expressive. Shading was expertly applied, you'll never find yourself missing other colors.

Annie's so good I actually like her B&W incarnation more than the original one; the book treats us to a multitude of gorgeous close-ups that give her life on a level the comic never quite reached. I realize this is unfair to the comic due to its format and the necessity to tell a complete story in less than a million pages but gosh darn it, I can't settle for less now. I went back to the previous chapter (Catalyst) and, even using all the colors in the visible spectrum, everything felt gray compared to the book. I'm hoping Tom manages to introduce some of its magic into the comic (while somehow still complying with its constraints).

In conclusion: book's great, buy it.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

seravid posted:

Just finished reading Annie in the Forest. I won't talk about the story because of spoilers and, well, because it's clearly secondary at this point. There's just enough dialogue and action to set the stage; the pacing ends up feeling a bit odd, but the compromise was more than worth it in my opinion.

So, what do we get in exchange for a bare-bones narrative? We get irreproachable art, that's what. The larger format and severe cut down on those pesky balloons mean that while there is little actually happening, what does happen looks dynamic, lifelike and all-in-all loving amazing. The establishing shots are fantastic, Mama Anwyn's hair is great, Ysengrin is a goddamn masterpiece and Annie has never been more expressive. Shading was expertly applied, you'll never find yourself missing other colors.

Annie's so good I actually like her B&W incarnation more than the original one; the book treats us to a multitude of gorgeous close-ups that give her life on a level the comic never quite reached. I realize this is unfair to the comic due to its format and the necessity to tell a complete story in less than a million pages but gosh darn it, I can't settle for less now. I went back to the previous chapter (Catalyst) and, even using all the colors in the visible spectrum, everything felt gray compared to the book. I'm hoping Tom manages to introduce some of its magic into the comic (while somehow still complying with its constraints).

In conclusion: book's great, buy it.

God I want to talk about Annie in the Forest with someone. You forgot Jones though, I was shocked by her range of emotion.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, the only way Tom could introduce that sort of crisp artwork in Web form is to make the images something ridiculous like 200MB in size. I agree, though, about the black and white and actually wouldn't mind an entire chapter done that way, though that's what City Face is for!

Edit: I also enjoy Khepi as a character. She's pretty swell. :3:

Cannonballoon fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 18, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oz posted:

ooo, now I find that even more intriguing. Hetty putting 'accident' in quotation marks because the girls death was described as accidental but Hetty believes that it was her brother's fault.

Where are you seeing the "it was Adam's fault" in all that mess? It's quite clear that if anybody's guilty of organizing the "accident", it was Hetty.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cat Mattress posted:

Where are you seeing the "it was Adam's fault" in all that mess? It's quite clear that if anybody's guilty of organizing the "accident", it was Hetty.

If anything is clear its that nothing is clear, until next week, or possibly the week after that.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Has Tom said one way or the other whether he plans to release all of Annie in the Forest in some kind of shmancy-pants hardcover once he's done with them? Or given any rough timeline for completion? I'd prefer to get this kind of thing all at once.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
For comparison:

Today: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1225

About 1180 strips ago: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=41

Interesting to see the evolution.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a real purty dragon there. (This page looks really nice.)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
So are we just done talking about the arsenic or

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Rasamune posted:

So are we just done talking about the arsenic or

They're on the way to the arsenic store.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

cafel posted:

For comparison:

Today: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1225

About 1180 strips ago: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=41

Interesting to see the evolution.

This is probably a more direct comparison, using the page after that one:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I always thought Annie looked totally uninterested in everything around her in old strips.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well, it looks like this chapter is going to definitively answer the whole "did Renard aim for Annie or the doll?" question.

Based on how he's starting, he's totally going to say he was aiming for her. This whole chapter has been really been all about alienating and dehumanizing Renard. The way he interacts with Hettie is really creepy, especially considering how he interacts with Annie and Kat.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^^ At least he seemed to talk her down from the whole arsenic thing, though I wonder if he's actually going to give her the stuff they stole.

scary ghost dog posted:

I always thought Annie looked totally uninterested in everything around her in old strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I think Renard is telling Hettie this story to make a point, with the goal of swaying her away from her present destructive course. Have a little faith in the trickster fox. He's made mistakes, largely due to the influence and manipulation of others (namely Coyote and the court via Surma), but he's never really been shown to be malicious. I personally do think he was aiming for Antimony in the possession scene, but it was out of desperation due to his ~ 5 years of imprisonment and not actually knowing her yet. He now realizes he came very close to making a terrible mistake, and may be hoping that telling his tale to Hettie will lead her away from Team Evil.