Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Defiance Industries posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from replaying PSX games, it's how much lower the expectations for user-friendliness were back in those days. Parasite Eve probably has it even worse though.

Dude the game wasn't even finished. I'd be a hell of a lot more lenient with it (Like I am with, say, Legend of Dragoon) if the second disk was more than loving cutscene. Also, recently replayed FF9. That holds up p. well, but then again the games battle speed never really bothered me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parasite Eve is a fun as hell game but there are so many things you could fix.

Like walking speed. It's like they cut the walking speed in half just to add an hour to the game's length.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I thought Suikoden 3 was really good. v:shobon:v

Then again I'm pretty sure I only got maybe 2/3 of the way through it.
Playing two chapters for one character isn't two-thirds of the way through Suikoden 3, it's more like 1/10th :v:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The PS3 version was a fine JRPG that got lost up its own rear end halfway through. Did you play on 360?

Either way, it's a shame that such an original (and interesting) concept got used as a vehicle for cheap pun names and decided to just forget about its central conflict in favor of awful cliches.
I played it on the 360, but I get the impression that the PS3 doesn't magically turn poo poo into chocolate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I played it on the 360, but I get the impression that the PS3 doesn't magically turn poo poo into chocolate.

Yeah, Eternal Sonata is really bad. It's downright impressive how much they mangled a really unique premise. The gameplay is also kinda repetitive and not especially interesting, and that's what people usually praise about it.

Pretty, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, Eternal Sonata is really bad. It's downright impressive how much they mangled a really unique premise. The gameplay is also kinda repetitive and not especially interesting, and that's what people usually praise about it.

Pretty, though.

I've never wanted somebody to just hurry up and die as badly as I did while playing Eternal Sonata. That both refers to cliff jump girl and Chopin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Parasite Eve is basically like a 45 minute game max that gets stretched out in the dumbest ways.

Also, do not watch the film version. Really.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is, however, a Goddamn Masterpiece compared to The Third Birthday.

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every other game is the worst game in the series.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 17, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I bought Tactics for iOS when it was on sale, finally getting around to playing it.

The touch controls are horrid because the UI looks exactly like the PSX version with a tiny font and smallish windows, except now I'm expected to try to mash things with my fingers. Also I can't seem to find the command order list? Or maybe they got rid of it in the port.

There's anime cutscenes now and they are BAD.

Don't buy this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Terper posted:

It is, however, a Goddamn Masterpiece compared to The Third Birthday.

A-loving-men. Literally the only game that I sold immediately after beating it due to the ending being an unrelenting garbage cherry on top of the mediocre poo poo sundae that was the rest of the game. Or would have sold immediately if the stores weren't closed at midnight. :argh:

It was sold the next day.

precision posted:

Also, do not watch the film version. Really.

Funnily enough, the book is okay if you turn your brain off for a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Third Birthday is the one with Realistic Pantie Physics right?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

1st AD posted:

There's anime cutscenes now and they are BAD.

Woah, no, this is the worst opinion. The cutscenes in War of the Lions are absolutely fantastic, by far the best directing and acting I've ever seen in a voiced Final Fantasy cutscene. I mean look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMDwioDiESc

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

The Third Birthday is the one with Realistic Pantie Physics right?

It's misogyny the game, so yes.

The only other game I can think of with scenes as bad as The Third Birthday is Metroid Other M.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Terper posted:

Woah, no, this is the worst opinion. The cutscenes in War of the Lions are absolutely fantastic, by far the best directing and acting I've ever seen in a voiced Final Fantasy cutscene. I mean look at this:

Lol "acting"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terper posted:

Dodgy voice acting aside, that's pretty great looking. Why doesn't Square get into the anime business? I hear there's a good buck in that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

I actually played Parasite Eve for the first time a couple of months back. I enjoyed it, but jesus christ it was clunky as hell.

I played it shortly after it first came out. I remember not feeling that way when playing it and loving the game, but I replayed it a little over a year ago and plenty of things stood out to me. Makes sense of course given the progression of gaming. It is just a shame that so little has been done with it.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

His tiny head and giant gauntlets really got to me when he started shaking them about in rage.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The music in that cutscene reminds me of Total Eclipse of the Heart.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Dodgy voice acting aside, that's pretty great looking. Why doesn't Square get into the anime business? I hear there's a good buck in that.

Square needs to get back in the movie business actually. Shame they folded so quick after Spirits Within, that movie was better than it should have been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It's misogyny the game, so yes.

The only other game I can think of with scenes as bad as The Third Birthday is Metroid Other M.

For all the hate Other M deservedly gets, I will never think of a mainstream game as outright horribly misogynistic as that loving game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Great Lakes Log posted:

Square needs to get back in the movie business actually. Shame they folded so quick after Spirits Within, that movie was better than it should have been.

As kinda dumb as Advent Children was, there's no denying it looked absolutely loving phenomenal and puts most American CGI to shame. I literally have no idea why they don't just farm out their CGI to make up for the apparent crippling lack of business sense in literally every part of the video game world.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Parasite Eve is a fun as hell game but there are so many things you could fix.

Like walking speed. It's like they cut the walking speed in half just to add an hour to the game's length.

You know what else really pads out the game time? The way cutscenes play out. The text speed is way too slow (and you can't change that), and the way every scene plays out is that someone moves, does some kind of emote that either plays once or repeats, and then the text starts scrolling. It makes everything seem really janky and makes cutscenes take twice as long as they should.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

precision posted:

They did Full Metal Alchemist, that's pretty huge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Out of the JPRGs I've played, I'd argue that Xenosaga Episode 2 is the worst of the lot. (Disclaimer: I have not played Star Ocean 4, so I can't speak for it either way.)

I have played SO4 and I'd play it a dozen times back-to-back before I replayed Xenosaga Episodd 2.

I basically agree with the motivation of Defiance Industries' opinion - sequels to games I like are judged very harshly. I loved Xenosaga Episode 1 and Xenosaga 2 was trying so hard to not be Episode 1 that it both alienated the fans and other gamers alike. The gameplay, the cutscenes, the music, the story, all of it is just terrible.

It's all the result of Namco execs getting bitchy about Episode 1 not selling as well as they wanted. So they muscled in, booted out a lot of the original team, and tried to make Episode 2 more appealing.
Job well done guys...

Star Ocean 4 also had better music than Episode 2. Kajiura might have done some tracks for the game but they are too few and seldom heard. WHat you will hear however is garbage like this. The Last Hope meanwhile is scored by Motoi Sakuraba, who, while having a niche he seems a bit too fond of, is still infinitely better than whoever did most of the music in XSII.

Compare the two main spaceship themes - XSII has the the Elsa while SO4 has the Calnus. "A Place for Reflection" is hardly one of the better themes in the gmme but considering the frequency in which you'll be hearing it, I'm very glad it isn't torture on my ears like the Elsa's theme.

I wish Sakuraba got the love of Uematsu or Mitsuda... He deserves it. Most people like to say "well even if Final Fantasy [whichever] sucked, at least the music was good." I think the same can be said for The Last Hope and even Till the End of Time.

But I do differ from Defiance's opinion of SO4 because I loving hated 3. Till the End of Time was a colossal gently caress up and I would freely state I think the writing is better in 4. Why? Because it's consistent. Spend the entire godforsaken first disk of SO3 on some lovely stock fantasy planet that has almost no relation to the actual plot of the game. Build up the fish aliens or whatever they were as the main villains yet completely forget about them once the Executioners show up.

In comparison, The Last Hope never did anything without purpose. Plot Point A went to Plot Point B. BOth of those points might have been retarded but I'll take it over how unrewarding and uninteresting SO3 was.

I'd also rather replay SO4 than FFXIII so I guess I know of at least 3 JRPGs I consider worse.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've always kinda liked Sakuraba's music but my opinion of him went way up when he did Dark Souls. It's such a departure from his usual material but still drat good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never, ever, thought I would hear anyone say SO4's plot was consistent. :psyduck: SO4's plot was all over the loving place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I never, ever, thought I would hear anyone say SO4's plot was consistent. :psyduck: SO4's plot was all over the loving place.

How so? The first planet you're on you meet a Grigoi. THen you go to another planet where you meet another Grigori as well as an alien race essentially controlled by them. Then you are captured by the Cardianon where you finally learn about the Grigori from Bacchus. The plot takes a little departure thereafter with the whole 1950s Earth thing and the stuff on Roak but it's ultimately about telling of Edge's and Reimi's backstories while also giving Edge some character development. Oh and Faize is pushed towards evil by the stuff on Roak. Once that's all onclucded you're right back to fighting Grigori until the end of the game.

I cannot think of a single major plot point that was brought up and then just forgotten. Maybe the fact Earth is a shithole but you can't really dwell on that for the whole game. It's really just establishing why the characters are out in space to begin with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

How so? The first planet you're on you meet a Grigoi. THen you go to another planet where you meet another Grigori as well as an alien race essentially controlled by them. Then you are captured by the Cardianon where you finally learn about the Grigori from Bacchus. The plot takes a little departure thereafter with the whole 1950s Earth thing and the stuff on Roak but it's ultimately about telling of Edge's and Reimi's backstories while also giving Edge some character development. Oh and Faize is pushed towards evil by the stuff on Roak. Once that's all onclucded you're right back to fighting Grigori until the end of the game.

I cannot think of a single major plot point that was brought up and then just forgotten. Maybe the fact Earth is a shithole but you can't really dwell on that for the whole game. It's really just establishing why the characters are out in space to begin with.

If you're going to accept the loving awful 1950s Earth thing or basically anything involving Lym as "about the character's backstory" then the stuff in SO3 should fit that as well because it's largely about developing the characters. SO4 goes all over the place without rhyme or reason to do completely inane and stupid poo poo, and that's coming from someone who didn't like SO3 either. SO4's plot is humiliating and inept in almost every possible way. The villains are badly developed, the heroes are badly developed and the plot and characters are among the stupidest things you'll ever encounter when they're not being completely horrific.

There are worse games but you have to get into The Third Birthday territory for that poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What does Lym have to do with anything? She does have her backstory too but it's tucked away in the Dictionary.

And I don't see how SO3 was "about the characters." I don't think a single character even developed in that loving game except maybe Fayt and Nel. It's basically FFVIII where only one or two characters are actually meant to be three-dimensional while they are joined bunch of purposeless cardboard cutouts who don't grow or develop. Hell, Maria was probably the second most important character in the party and she still didn't really have any development.

Listen. Let's just agree both games' plots kinda suck. The difference for me is that SO3 is 50% pointless. All that crap, with finding a dragon and building a magic superweapon and finding a clone of Sophie, went absolutely nowhere. I hated that entire first disk in a way I never hated any part of SO4.

And I agree, nothing in SO4 was well-written.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 18, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Seems like I did myself a favor by not really playing any games past the PSX beyond skies of Arcadia and gradnia 3( or was it 2 with the demons and the jerk guy ?)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

You know what else really pads out the game time? The way cutscenes play out. The text speed is way too slow (and you can't change that), and the way every scene plays out is that someone moves, does some kind of emote that either plays once or repeats, and then the text starts scrolling. It makes everything seem really janky and makes cutscenes take twice as long as they should.

Did this come out before or after FF8? Because while I loved the poo poo out of this game (especially since you could create ridiculous guns from all that scrap), the timing on anything non-gameplay related was really lovely.

I was really disappointed when they went the Resident Evil clone route in the sequel, because the graphics and gameplay just didn't do it for me. Plus, NYC is a much better setting for a game than somewhere in Arizona or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Parasite Eve 2 was loving phenomenal but the complete change in tone and gameplay sure was odd.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I personally enjoyed SO3. Maybe because I didn't think too much into the story, but I had fun with combat and such. Same for SO4, except it had horrible characters and a plethora of other things.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

1st AD posted:

Did this come out before or after FF8? Because while I loved the poo poo out of this game (especially since you could create ridiculous guns from all that scrap), the timing on anything non-gameplay related was really lovely.

I think PE came first, but only by a small margin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mokinokaro posted:

So you've never played Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, every non-Disgaea, non-Atelier NISA release?

Resonance of Fate is mediocre, but there's so much worse out there.

EDIT: \/ Keep it that way. Especially Infinite Undiscovery. It's terrible in every way it can be. Eternal Sonata's biggest weakness, on the other hand, is endless and extremely pretentious cutscenes (unskippable on the 360 version) for sometimes up to half an hour between the (relatively decent) gameplay sections. I like its battle system too, but the game seems to like keeping you away from it.

Eternal Sonata was better, just don't use the English voices. Infinite Undiscovery was so terrible and it can be summed up in one word: Dinner.

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly SO was in decline after 2. 3 was okay, but 2 is still the best of the series.

Agreed on Suikoden 4 though. That was a trainwreck. 5 was okay, but I feel so much of it was an attempt to suck up to the fans rather than make a great game.

On that note, nobody here buy Toki Towa (Time and Eternity localized) as it's reportedly one of the worst JRPGs ever made. It was torn apart in Japan, even by reviewers who are tolerant of Compile Heart's garbage (Mugen Souls, Neptunia, etc.)

5 was an attempt to go back to basics (1-2) on current technology. It was a solid game and if it had been what came after 2 (or even 3) then the series would've been much healthier. S3 has its ups and downs but after 4 it couldn't recover and then the DS game that just used the name despite having nothing to do with Suikoden just ensured the series was dead.

e: Suikoden 3 would've been helped tremendously by giving you the magic mirrors right after the Flame Champion decision. The amount of running around in that game otherwise was hell. S4's slow rear end ship was the worst thing ever.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 18, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Seems like I did myself a favor by not really playing any games past the PSX beyond skies of Arcadia and gradnia 3( or was it 2 with the demons and the jerk guy ?)

I'd tentatively recommend Baten Kaitos. It seems to be a cult classic kind of game with plenty of people who hate it. I absolutely loved it though and rank it above most FFs I've played.

If for no other reason, play it for the soundtrack. The game certainly has its flaws but they were far outweighed by everything else I loved in the game.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

I think PE came first, but only by a small margin.

:doh: actually this was a dumb question, as my copy of Parasite Eve has an FF8 demo bundled with it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

precision posted:

Parasite Eve 2 was loving phenomenal but the complete change in tone and gameplay sure was odd.

Agreed. As a stand-alone game it's quite good, but I can see picking it up after you were a big fan of the first one and being totally put off by the massive departure in style.

1st AD posted:

Plus, NYC is a much better setting for a game than somewhere in Arizona or something.

Eh, I think the Arizona setting had some upsides. It's more conducive to some types of stories than a city is. I guess the main fault is that it was the PSX so everything took place in a flat, beige wasteland with no features.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd tentatively recommend Baten Kaitos. It seems to be a cult classic kind of game with plenty of people who hate it. I absolutely loved it though and rank it above most FFs I've played.

If for no other reason, play it for the soundtrack. The game certainly has its flaws but they were far outweighed by everything else I loved in the game.

Or you could probably skip it and play the much superior Baten Kaitos Origins. That's a game that is very difficult to hate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Or you could probably skip it and play the much superior Baten Kaitos Origins. That's a game that is very difficult to hate.

Aside from the random card combat system, it's a pretty cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skychrono posted:

They did Full Metal Alchemist, that's pretty huge.
They didn't. The original comic was by an author named Hiromu Arakawa, and the anime adaptation was by an animation studio named BONES. Square Enix's only contribution to FMA was that the original comic was serialized in their magazine.

Though they did do the tie-in JRPGs, which were actually kind of good. Not great or anything, but above what you'd expect from a licensed JRPG.