Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Psychobabble is completely correct, in addition if you are going to be doing a significant amount of piping paper bags will end up being cheaper than cutting up a bunch of ziplocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I bought some expensive ($55 for two links) dried sausage for a party and it was left out overnight and most of the next day. I wrapped it back in paper and put it in the fridge for a few days and just dug it back out. It has become seriously dried out now. Is there anything I can do to reinvigorate it? A cursory google says I can soak it in red wine, but I really don't want any wine flavors in this delicious half-pound of meat. Any suggestions?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

SERPUS posted:

I bought some expensive ($55 for two links) dried sausage for a party and it was left out overnight and most of the next day. I wrapped it back in paper and put it in the fridge for a few days and just dug it back out. It has become seriously dried out now. Is there anything I can do to reinvigorate it? A cursory google says I can soak it in red wine, but I really don't want any wine flavors in this delicious half-pound of meat. Any suggestions?

Maybe soak it in broth, so you're just adding more meat flavors to your delicious meat.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

GrAviTy84 posted:

Smoked salmon is the pro-est substitution for back bacon on eggs Benedict.

You could make a mousse out of it and fill pâté choux puffs.

Also good in crepes or on omelettes.

Minced up and served with grated hard boiled egg, capers, minced shallots, creme fraiche, and chives for Scottish tartare.

Thanks a bunch. I made Eggs Norwegian (the hollandaise didn't quite emulsify but drat it was tasty) and I've been eating the rest with capers and cream cheese on toasted bagels.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Anyone got a good braised lamb shank recipe? Preferably adaptable to a slow cooker as I don't have a big enough covered oven pan/pot big enough for 4 full sized lamb shanks in the oven.
I made it tonight and I'm looking for improvements.

What a coincidence. I just made braised lamb shanks, but in a small dutch oven that was only big enough for 2 shanks.

I used this:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lamb-shanks-braised-red-wine.aspx

And scaled down my broth and wine. Used the same amount of vegetables. I imagine this can be done in a slow cooker as well.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SERPUS posted:

If it's a dried sausage, should this have even affected it? I've only done some super-easy charcuterie in the past (nothing on the level of dried sausage or pancetta) but I feel like if the sausage was already dried, it's fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm making latkes and having them with some brats. What's a good veggie side for this?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

M42 posted:

I'm making latkes and having them with some brats. What's a good veggie side for this?

I'm going to go for the obvious and say either boiled cabbage or hot sauerkraut.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Making a rice pilaf. Have a bunch of zucchini from the garden. Can i saute them with the shallots/garlic and leave em in with the rice or am I going to ruin the pilaf that way. Cook em separate and mix em in with the cooked rice after?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

M42 posted:

Sauerkraut like Arnold said. If not, steamed green beans and/or some butter roasted carrots are good with it.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
I want to try making a red wine and molasses braised beef dish, but most of the recipes I've found online use very... confident... amounts of molasses. Up to half or even the same amount per volume as wine. Does this seem like an unusual amount to use?

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Does anyone know a red vegetable (maybe tomato) sauce that's typically served with couscous? I just remembered that in highschool they used to serve us this delicious couscous/red sauce (sour and a bit spicy) combo. And it was amazing. I just bought a 10 lb bag of couscous and would like to replicate it. I did some googling and a martha stewart tomato/cumin based sauce turned up. But I was wondering if there is a common middle eastern recipe? Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

themongol posted:

Does anyone know a red vegetable (maybe tomato) sauce that's typically served with couscous? I just remembered that in highschool they used to serve us this delicious couscous/red sauce (sour and a bit spicy) combo. And it was amazing. I just bought a 10 lb bag of couscous and would like to replicate it. I did some googling and a martha stewart tomato/cumin based sauce turned up. But I was wondering if there is a common middle eastern recipe? Thanks!

Roasted red pepper based?

themongol
Apr 30, 2006

Breaky posted:

Roasted red pepper based?

This is literally over 10 years ago so I really don't know. I just remember that it was red, slightly sour and spicy. Also, I went to a highschool where most of the staff were French so chances are it's an Algerian dish?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm thinking of making arrabiata sauce with some spicy sausage added, but have a hard time picking a recipe, even though it appears to be a relatively simple dish. Could I take an existing vegetarian arrabiata recipe (for example, this one), precook the sausage, slice it and then add it together with the tomatoes?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

themongol posted:

Based on what I tasted in two different restaurants, I made my own version, and this is how I often prepare meat to go with the couscous:
a little over half a kilo lamb or beef, half a can of tomatoes, one onion, one clove of garlic, half a litre of bouillon, 7 dried apricots, small glas of red wine or port, chilipowder and cumin.

Make cubes of the lamb or beef (3X3 cm) and sprinkle them with the chilipowder and cumin. Bake in butter and oil. Don't overcrowd the pan, and take them out when browned. Set aside.
Chop up the onion and soften it in the same pan, add the chopped up garlic and stir until it starts to smell. Cube the canned tomatoes and add to the pan, stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then add the bouillon, the dried apricots (cut into quarters) and the wine/port, and bring to a boil. When it boils, add back the meat, and let it simmer for 2-4 hours

When you don't want the meat, just reduce the amount of liquid you start with.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

themongol posted:

You're not thinking of harissa are you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harissa It doesn't have to be so spicy, so if they were making it themselves I can see it matching your description.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

themongol posted:

Is it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammara ? I loving love it and it'd probably go great over cous cous.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Anyone have a doner recipe that doesn't involve a rotating vertical spit? I'm not going to be able to construct a rotating spit out of mirrors and a huge metal spike.

I've seen a lot with ground lamb, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

squigadoo posted:

I'm not going to be able to construct a rotating spit out of mirrors and a huge metal spike.

What? Why not?

themongol
Apr 30, 2006

bunch of ppl posted:

Thank you all. I guess I'll have to try them all.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

squigadoo posted:

Anyone have a doner recipe that doesn't involve a rotating vertical spit? I'm not going to be able to construct a rotating spit out of mirrors and a huge metal spike.

I've seen a lot with ground lamb, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

Cooks Illustrated has a recipe for lamb gyro that uses ground lamb: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=8530. It does require a yearly subscription though and I don't know what the SA policy is on posting stuff like that. At the end of the recipe they said frying strips of lamb "took effort and resulted in what looked like a bad stir-fry." The rotisserie was impractical. Finally, "packing the meat into a loaf shape yielded an odd, spongy texture with no crispy parts."

The ground lamb recipe works great. I imagine a doner would follow a similar or identical recipe. Doners are the same thing as gyros right?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

looking for a good zucchini/summer squash bread recipe. thanks!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone have the link to that thread on making marshmellows that was on this forum I think a few months ago? I been thinking about altering the recipe for nutella marshmallows but I want the basic one before I change it up yknow?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Does anyone have the link to that thread on making marshmellows that was on this forum I think a few months ago? I been thinking about altering the recipe for nutella marshmallows but I want the basic one before I change it up yknow?

Was it this one? You need archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3094275

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, that topic is four years old.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We used that recipe to make marshmallows to give out as wedding favors. It works great but you have no idea how profoundly sticky the hot mix is.

You absolutely need a stand mixer to make them, but it works great. The marshmallows are totally different than what you get at the grocery.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Spaghetti squash is a thing, I haven't tried preparing it as spaghetti myself but I hear it's quite good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why not just make really loving good spaghetti bolognese and have it as a cheat meal.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Slifter posted:

Spaghetti squash is a thing, I haven't tried preparing it as spaghetti myself but I hear it's quite good.

Yep this. I've also never prepped it as spaghetti per se, but roasted like regular squash and then scraped out with a fork and served with sauce on top it is tasty. The flavor and texture aren't the same as pasta, obviously, but I liked it the few times we did it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

His Divine Shadow posted:

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.
Get a bunch of agar agar and get all molecular gastronomy on that low carb poo poo. Like arugula spaghetti, tomato spaghetti, or parmesan spaghetti.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The GF went through a Raw Foods phase, so she has a "spiralizer" which can make "noodles" out of practically any solid veggie. Daikon noodles stand up to sauce well. There was something else that made great noodles but I can't think of it right now...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going to make a blowout bunch of treats last week for my last day at the office next week. Since it's so hot outside I was thinking more refreshing things. So far I've got Modernist's PB&J Gelato...is there something with lemon curd or self made strawberries with clotted cream that wouldn't be too hard to make in the day or two before and set up in the office (with a fridge) that afternoon?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

long shreds of carrots from a vegetable peeler are good. Take those and sautee them briefly then cook them in the sauce just until they are flimsy and pliable. Never as good as real pasta but they end up having a nice texture and consistency and the flavor is good.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Have you tried out the Dreamfields pasta? It's obviously nowhere near as good as homemade pasta, but as a low carb / low glycemic index pasta it's more than adequate.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

Have you tried out the Dreamfields pasta? It's obviously nowhere near as good as homemade pasta, but as a low carb / low glycemic index pasta it's more than adequate.

Pretty sure I read that it's a scam and based on "science".

Honestly, when I'm cutting carbs, I just stay away from pasta/bread/rice as much as possible. Trying to replace it leads to sadness and tears and really not really great tasting food. Why would I eat boiled shreds of daikon/zucchini/carrot/etc when I can roast them whole in spices or make delcious pork and daikon stock soup? There's tons of really great recipes that are low carb and very healthy. With that said, I love shirataki noodles - with the caveat that you can't really treat them the same as wheat pasta. It's a great noodle in its own right.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yep this. I've also never prepped it as spaghetti per se, but roasted like regular squash and then scraped out with a fork and served with sauce on top it is tasty. The flavor and texture aren't the same as pasta, obviously, but I liked it the few times we did it.

Yeah just cut it in half, remove the guts, brush it with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, bake it at 375F for ~40 minutes, scrape it out with a fork. It will look sort of like weird spaghetti and will be delicious.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF went through a Raw Foods phase, so she has a "spiralizer" which can make "noodles" out of practically any solid veggie. Daikon noodles stand up to sauce well. There was something else that made great noodles but I can't think of it right now...

Sweet potatoes are pretty good with one of those things.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rurutia posted:

Pretty sure I read that it's a scam and based on "science".

Honestly, when I'm cutting carbs, I just stay away from pasta/bread/rice as much as possible. Trying to replace it leads to sadness and tears and really not really great tasting food. Why would I eat boiled shreds of daikon/zucchini/carrot/etc when I can roast them whole in spices or make delcious pork and daikon stock soup? There's tons of really great recipes that are low carb and very healthy. With that said, I love shirataki noodles - with the caveat that you can't really treat them the same as wheat pasta. It's a great noodle in its own right.
It's based on shoddy research methods. The control group was given white bread, and not a regular pasta. If I were testing the glycemic index of dreamfields versus regular pasta, why the gently caress would the control group be fed bread? I should think that if you're testing dreamfields versus regular, use regular pasta, as this study did. The beauty of the second study is that it's been published in a peer reviewed journal. It means that anyone can go look at the notes, and extrapolate the results of the study for themselves. The company did their tests in an "independent lab", and didn't publish their results, methods, or anything else. In other words, they could have pulled numbers out of their assholes, and we'd not know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

walruscat posted:

Cooks Illustrated has a recipe for lamb gyro that uses ground lamb: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=8530. It does require a yearly subscription though and I don't know what the SA policy is on posting stuff like that. At the end of the recipe they said frying strips of lamb "took effort and resulted in what looked like a bad stir-fry." The rotisserie was impractical. Finally, "packing the meat into a loaf shape yielded an odd, spongy texture with no crispy parts."

The ground lamb recipe works great. I imagine a doner would follow a similar or identical recipe. Doners are the same thing as gyros right?

I don't think they are, but I'm not sure. The doners I had in Germany had the meat on a spit, and the meat was shaved off and stuffed into a flat bread. Gyros are fried strips of meat, right? I think the sauce is similar though.

Thank you for the link! I'm going to try something like that, but via Serious Eats' altered version.