Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't like it when faith is so binary, like a videogame RPG. They're probably dupes of Tzeentch. They're not the only guys to have been misled by incomplete or false visions.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't like it when faith is so binary, like a videogame RPG. They're probably dupes of Tzeentch. They're not the only guys to have been misled by incomplete or false visions.

They're shown a prophecy of the future that is absolutely true but not how it comes about, so they end up accidentally helping to fulfilling it. This is a really simple and standard tragic plot device do you not understand oh wait you're Baron Bifford of course you don't understand.

They aren't necessarily being deceived at all, there's nothing in the story that suggests this (and Dan Abnett is not a subtle writer) and the plot hardly shows evidence of being well thought through in the first place. I think it's just supposed to be a cautionary tale about prophecy and hubris. Except just terribly told.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

They're shown a prophecy of the future that is absolutely true but not how it comes about, so they end up accidentally helping to fulfilling it. This is a really simple and standard tragic plot device do you not understand oh wait you're Baron Bifford of course you don't understand.

They aren't necessarily being deceived at all, there's nothing in the story that suggests this (and Dan Abnett is not a subtle writer) and the plot hardly shows evidence of being well thought through in the first place. I think it's just supposed to be a cautionary tale about prophecy and hubris. Except just terribly told.

It's the same with Horus, he's shown a future where there is only war and the Emperor is worshipped as a god on thousands of worls, whole planets are dedicated shrines etc. This betrayal horrifies him and is a big part of why he begins the heresy, not knowing that they only showed him the future he would bring about.

Magnus describes the Istvaan incident as "truths cloaked in falsehoods".

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Demiurge4 posted:

It's the same with Horus, he's shown a future where there is only war and the Emperor is worshipped as a god on thousands of worls, whole planets are dedicated shrines etc. This betrayal horrifies him and is a big part of why he begins the heresy, not knowing that they only showed him the future he would bring about.

Magnus describes the Istvaan incident as "truths cloaked in falsehoods".

Horus was sick and dying and having every single string he had pulled by the Chaos gods themselves, as every festering lie and half-truth that had been planted on his mind by Erebus and Lorgar over the course of decades came to fruition.

Alpharius and Omegon met up with a bunch of shifty xenos they had never heard of before, were shown "a vision", and decided to betray the Imperium.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nephilm posted:

Alpharius and Omegon met up with a bunch of shifty xenos they had never heard of before, were shown "a vision", and decided to betray the Imperium.

Or did they?

Edit: I bet quite a few Alpha Legion infiltrators are members of the same chapter and have no idea. It'd be quite funny if a coded message was sent to Alpha Legion operatives to do something shady and sabotage-y and like 30 dudes showed up at the same time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alchenar posted:

I think it's just supposed to be a cautionary tale about prophecy
Ah, now I get it. No more gypsy tarot readings for me, then.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

VanSandman posted:

Or did they?

Edit: I bet quite a few Alpha Legion infiltrators are members of the same chapter and have no idea. It'd be quite funny if a coded message was sent to Alpha Legion operatives to do something shady and sabotage-y and like 30 dudes showed up at the same time.

Quite likely. In one of the books one of the Alpha operatives pretty much gives himself away to another, but it's not until the call for action that most of them are all "Oh hey, I thought this was MY gig."

Regarding Legion, I never thought much of the Acuity killing the psyker. Rereading that part, it is pretty sketchy, especially given that Grammaticus is also a psyker and can look into the Acuity without dying.

One theory I've heard, and I have no idea how prevalent it is, is that BL is setting up for a return of the Emperor and remaining living primarchs for a renewed war/one last battle. Alpha/Omegon being truly loyal would possibly fit into this, depending on which primarchs are really alive/dead and just how much you trust the continuity of 40k. I suppose I'd just be happy for a single Heresy book that answers more questions than it raises.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think it would be exciting enough to reveal the stories of the missing primarchs. Advancing the Big E's plot would just be an orgasm, and then you're left with nothing else to do and a sticky mess.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Nephilm posted:

There's no consensus on what the Primarchs looked like because the Imperium is a gently caress huge place and they haven't been around for 10000 years, and even when they were around, they weren't usually keen on being immortalized in sculpture and such, given that such idolatry was against the imperial creed. And when it was done, details obviously changed based upon the perceptions of the artist in question.

It's not that the primarchs literally shapeshifted, but that their depictions are a ten millenia old game of telephone, and the only place you'd get accurate representations is out of the archives of the original Legions and other repositories of knowledge that, to say the least, aren't open to the public. You can bet your rear end that if someone came upon a pict of the Emperor or a (loyalist) Primarch it'd be worth a fortune and end up in the vault of some collector or enshrined in a cathedral and very much away from the eyes of the plebs.

Most Primarchs are long gone but the Ultramarines keep Roboute Guilliman around in a status field and visit him on special occasions.

(As an aside how do you pronouce his name? And is it a joke somehow like El'Jonson?)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've always affected the snootiest French accent I can pull off. It just feels right when talking about smurfs.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It seems to differ between works. I prefer the Space Marine (videogame) one, which is "Gilliman". No idea about the first name.

Seeing as the Ultramarines are Greco-Roman inspired, I also wonder where the name Roboute Guilliman came from. All other Ultramarine names I know are Greek/Roman-sounding.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, that could be it too. I was probably over thinking it so it would seem less hamfisted and annoying.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A novel with anything at all to do with Russ taking a Great Company into the Eye would be well received.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

isoprenaline posted:

Most Primarchs are long gone but the Ultramarines keep Roboute Guilliman around in a status field and visit him on special occasions.

(As an aside how do you pronouce his name? And is it a joke somehow like El'Jonson?)

It's pronounced "Robutt Girlyman"

Shroud
May 11, 2009

mllaneza posted:

A novel with anything at all to do with Russ taking a Great Company into the Eye would be well received.

We need an odd couple series that chronicles the adventures of Russ and Bjorn traipsing through the Eye.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

isoprenaline posted:

Ro - boot Gui - i - man (the L's are silent)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's actually pronounced "Robert Gillman"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The audiobooks have it as Row-boot Gilly-man.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I know that 'The Lightning Tower' pronounced it 'Ruhbuutay.'

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Can anybody confirm or deny the rumors that are springing up about the upcoming Vulkan Lives?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 19, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Can anybody confirm or deny the rumors that are springing up about the upcoming Vulcan Lives?

I can confirm that it's a Salamanders book by Nick Kyme and therefore not worth reading

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can confirm that it's a Salamanders book by Nick Kyme and therefore not worth reading

I remember reading a short story anthology, where there was a Kyme Salamander Story, which had a crossover with ADB's Night Lords which had their own short story in the anthology. My god the contrast was huge.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
His characterization is just so bad. His writing is so boring. There are worse writers in the BL but none that make you feel more like your time spent reading was just sort of lost into a void.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Telsa Cola posted:

Can anybody confirm or deny the rumors that are springing up about the upcoming Vulcan Lives?

What rumours?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Rumors: Vulkan lives.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

UberJumper posted:

What rumours?

At the end Vulkan apparently dies due to teleportation malfunction and burns up in the atmosphere of a planet, the last two words of the novel being "Vulkan Dies".

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Part of me wants this to be true. Maybe because the Salamanders have been dumped on from such a great height by GW that at this point it's just funny, and maybe because it'd be so unlike them to write such a definite fate in recent times for any of their big characters. I'll be utterly amazed if it's true.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ferrus Manus pretty definitively got his head chopped off by Fulgrim.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I really like the Salamanders, I wish someone else was writing them. (Someone good, that is.)

It sucks when some authors have a monopoly on legions/chapters, even if they're not even that good. The Raven Guard and Dark Angels need someone other than Thorpe, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Rat posted:

Ferrus Manus pretty definitively got his head chopped off by Fulgrim.

Maybe we'll find a disk with a recording of his brain on it or something.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Telsa Cola posted:

At the end Vulkan apparently dies due to teleportation malfunction and burns up in the atmosphere of a planet, the last two words of the novel being "Vulkan Dies".

I found the spoiler listing being referenced here, and I'm pretty skeptical. It contradicts a LOT of other stuff they have established in the Horus Heresy, as recently as the latest book. Stuff like who is where doing what, and what we know is the fate of some of the characters. That doesn't preclude them making changes (see The Primarchs and Fulgrim) but I doubt it. We'll see though, and Nick Kyme is a lovely enough writer to do it and handle it the way it says.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I thought we knew the fate of vulkan in Angel Exterminatus i think. it's mentioned that perturabo has a thing for building labyrinths and his masterpiece labyrinth currently had a prisoner/guest, and it hinted at it being vulkan.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
The Mark of Calth anthology has a two page teaser of Vulkan Lives. There might be some misdirection going on, but by the looks of things it's gonna be first person from Vulkan's perspective.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

I found the spoiler listing being referenced here, and I'm pretty skeptical. It contradicts a LOT of other stuff they have established in the Horus Heresy, as recently as the latest book. Stuff like who is where doing what, and what we know is the fate of some of the characters. That doesn't preclude them making changes (see The Primarchs and Fulgrim) but I doubt it. We'll see though, and Nick Kyme is a lovely enough writer to do it and handle it the way it says.

It doesn't seem too likely given that every Primarch has survived re-entry at least once, and they did it as infants. Then again, Nick Kyme.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I read alot of Warhammer and Ive never heard of Vulcan. I think its because ive avoided the Salamander book on the threads recommendations. Who is he and why is he significant? Feel free to drop all the spoilers you'd like.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Waroduce posted:

I read alot of Warhammer and Ive never heard of Vulcan. I think its because ive avoided the Salamander book on the threads recommendations. Who is he and why is he significant? Feel free to drop all the spoilers you'd like.

He's the primarch of the Salamanders and he's important because he's a primarch.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013

rocket_Magnet posted:

I thought we knew the fate of vulkan in Angel Exterminatus i think. it's mentioned that perturabo has a thing for building labyrinths and his masterpiece labyrinth currently had a prisoner/guest, and it hinted at it being vulkan.

I will be thoroughly disappointed if Vulcan has been locked in a labyrinth for the last 10,000 years(possibly less in the eye of terror) ,but I suppose there are worse plot lines in WH40k

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Vulcan is a tech geek, there's a prophecy around something called the artifacts of Vulcan that he will return once his chapter finds all of them. So far they have a melee weapon, something else and a friggin capital ship.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Demiurge4 posted:

Vulcan is a tech geek, there's a prophecy around something called the artifacts of Vulcan that he will return once his chapter finds all of them. So far they have a melee weapon, something else and a friggin capital ship.

Also he's the only primarch to be not an out and out rear end in a top hat, and his chapter are pretty much one of the least dickish. As in actually giving a drat about civilians.

Also, the spoiler about Vulkan's fate up there? Pretty sure that was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Seriously, if they burn Vulkan to death it will be the stupidest ending because, you know, VULKAN.