Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
My mate had one of the early mod54's but broke it when he dropped it on his tile floor. My new one feels like it could withstand a bit more abuse but its definitely a bit more smooth and slightly harder to feel where to put the sheets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah I have a polycarbonate one and it looks baller but feels super fragile. Dropping it is not recommended.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
drat, I have a serious boner for Velvia 50 right now. Just got my first set of slides back, already ordered more in a 20 pack at $8.95/each. My local shop is apparently selling this stuff for $15.80 PER ROLL. "Fuji just announced a 20 percent price increase" was the reason the clerk told me when I said "JESUS." I like helping out local businesses, but f that.

I blasted through this roll in two mornings when I was out shooting some sunrise timelapse footage.

Do you guys have any preference on mail-order E6 development? As usual, the local lab scratched my film and left some fingerprints that I can't get rid of.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
North Coast does a great job on my E-6.

Like $8/roll for E6 develop only.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Inf posted:

Do you guys have any preference on mail-order E6 development? As usual, the local lab scratched my film and left some fingerprints that I can't get rid of.

I use http://www.citizensphoto.com/ for all my color developing. Once you call them and set up an account with a credit card on file you just mail them a box of film with a note in it and a they mail it back when they are done.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I love citizens! Decent prices on used stuff and 3 day turnaround on in-house B&W developing.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

joelcamefalling posted:

Can I tape together two rolls of 120 and feed them onto the reel as pseudo 220?
Yes. I've done that lots of times before. You don't have to adjust your times because the amount of film relative to the amount of developer is still laughable compared to 35mm. I use HC-110 and use the same times as 120.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

Yes. I've done that lots of times before. You don't have to adjust your times because the amount of film relative to the amount of developer is still laughable compared to 35mm. I use HC-110 and use the same times as 120.

One roll of 120 is roughly comparable to one roll of 135-36. It's more or less half the length and more or less twice as wide. This is reflected in (for example) replenishment tables.

If you are doing highly dilute solutions you may have to adjust your time slightly doing two rolls on one reel. The bigger problem is that it's hard to feed through the plastic reels, metal may be better.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Gomiboy posted:

I love citizens! Decent prices on used stuff and 3 day turnaround on in-house B&W developing.

Develop your own B&W.:argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

8th-samurai posted:

Develop your own B&W.:argh:

Seriously, I am terrible, have no idea what I'm doing, and I haven't hosed it up except for developing unshot rolls.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Have to renovate the basement first, then in goes the darkroom later this summer! In other news, closet finds are the best finds!

Edit: me dum

Gomiboy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 18, 2013

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gomiboy posted:

Have to renovate the basement first, then in goes the darkroom later this summer! In other news, closet finds are the best finds!

oh god how did this get here im not good with computer

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gomiboy posted:

Edit: me dum

that ownsssssssssss

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I've been trying to organize and catalogue last few years of negatives I shot, and its a nightmare.
So far I have segregated all my sleeves by format in several binders. Shot contact sheets with my DSLR, and put them in my lightroom library. The folder structure is Book number containing contact sheet folder and then folders for each page in the book containing individual scans.

How do you guys keep your negatives organized?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I throw them in a big drawer and hope the house doesn't burn down :saddowns:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I have some binders and keep the sleeves of film in chronological order, with a little bit of info written on the sleeve with a sharpie, like film/place/camera/rough date.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
More experimenting with paint-on emulsion today. We're having a heatwave here in London and apparently the cold water pipes run OUTSIDE of the building at some point.

Start with:

+
Extra hot final water bath
=

:smith:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

McMadCow posted:

More experimenting with paint-on emulsion today. We're having a heatwave here in London and apparently the cold water pipes run OUTSIDE of the building at some point.

Start with:

+
Extra hot final water bath
=

:smith:

I think the second one is sick as hell

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

Oh man the Instax rules. The tones come out like 17th century pastoral landscapes. I'm a little burned out on sharp lenses and image quality right now-- this is exactly what I needed.

Me too, so much that I just bought another with a 10pack of film, because I broke my first one. :madmax:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just chuck some ice in the bath to cool it down.

Are you using brushes or one of those blades to put on the emulsion?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

McMadCow posted:

I'm gonna bug you jerks to print again. This was my first day experimenting with paint-on emulsion. I was using Rollei Black Magic variable contrast liquid, which allows for split filter printing. I painted it on to heavy watercolor paper, A1 size, so these are about 2-11/2 feet tall. I have to improve my painting technique a little bit and I should be able to get some pretty good consistency.

this is cool as hell

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Spedman posted:

Just chuck some ice in the bath to cool it down.

Are you using brushes or one of those blades to put on the emulsion?

Unfortunately this is at my school and I have no idea where I'd get a bag of ice to throw in there.
The first batch- that can be seen in these shots- I used a sponge brush to paint it on. I noticed that it was streaky and the tooth of the paper made for some really inconsistent tones. I just started printing on a second batch today that I used a regular hair brush for. Also I did two coats to keep the surface even. It was almost right. Still getting some inconsistent tones, though. I'm thinking it may have to do with the temperature of the emulsion when I brush it on. Like it needs to be warmer, or something, so it goes on thinner and soaks in more evenly.

Is there any kind of instruction out there for applying it with a blade?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

McMadCow posted:

Is there any kind of instruction out there for applying it with a blade?

The best I could find was PE at APUG talking about it:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/60046-handcoating-paper-coating-blades.html
(I've only ever read about emulsion coating by hand)

I guess you should able to grab some ice from Tescos?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

McMadCow posted:

Unfortunately this is at my school and I have no idea where I'd get a bag of ice to throw in there.

Try a gas station or grocery store or a tackle shop. If you're at a school I guarantee there's a place to buy booze and where there's booze there's ice.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

Try a gas station or grocery store or a tackle shop. If you're at a school I guarantee there's a place to buy booze and where there's booze there's ice.

He's in the UK, they don't ice ANYTHING. :v:

Edit: "The U.K. Met Office posted the alert on its website, indicating there’s a 90 percent chance of temperatures in the capital hitting 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 degrees Fahrenheit) today and tomorrow." LOL

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

poo poo, 89.6 F is "sweet it's not hot outside time to go to the desert to do some hiking" weather here.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

He's in the UK, they don't ice ANYTHING. :v:

Edit: "The U.K. Met Office posted the alert on its website, indicating there’s a 90 percent chance of temperatures in the capital hitting 32 degrees Celsius (89.6 degrees Fahrenheit) today and tomorrow." LOL

I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about ice either if almost 90 was a freakishly high temperature.

Anyway, this probably doesn't help you at school, but I use a Brita filter for drinking water and I keep it in the refrigerator so it's easy to add some cold water to the tap water until I get it to the right temp.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

McMadCow: I just found the emulsion book I bought off Ron Mowrey which has all the details on his coating blades, and basically everything else to do with putting emulsion on stuff (including all the recipes), so if you need some more info on it all just yell.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

:getin:

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Girlfriend gave me my birthday present today: an Olympus OM-2n. I'm pretty loving psyched to get out and have a play with it.

Seeing as this is more or less my first "real" film SLR I'm fully expecting to completely balls up my first few rolls but is there anything specific I should be aware of?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yay! God I like my instax so much.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Olympus OMs can be hard on the batteries. Carry a spare.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hail Satan.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hopefully they'll keep Provia 100F around longer...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Wow I did not read that right the first time and was ready to give up on life with Provia 120 gone.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've never been able to find any Neopan or Provia rated at 400ISO anywhere, I honestly assumed they had already been discontinued.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Get it while you can, then:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=neopan+400&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=provia+400&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

I've never been able to find any Neopan or Provia rated at 400ISO anywhere, I honestly assumed they had already been discontinued.

Frankly, they weren't worth buying. Provia 40ox is only for people that didn't get the memo that Portra 400 crushes all other color films in low light and smh if you use a 35mm ISO 400 B&W film that isn't Arista Premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Portra 400 isn't a slide film, but who shoots anything other than 100 speed slide film anymore?