Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah CASM is huge. Even if you want a vanilla experience, CASM is a mod you should always get. I'd also consider some texture upgrades (I've used both Ojo Bueno and NMC, both are nice, take your pick) and a UI overhaul. I use DarnUI + One HUD.

Past that just start playing and figuring out what you want - The OP of this thread has a lot of good suggestions so take some time reading mod descriptions.

As for inventory sorting, the game has inventory sort by category built in (or I've been enabling it with a mod by magic somehow) already so...try that first, mod if needed second. And I've never gotten microstutter. I'd see if either of those crop up to annoy you before modding them.

then you will join us in the world of making our own merged patches and 85 item modlists :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sorry for not checking over the whole thread, but I have a question. The guns in 1st person look like poo poo. They're tiny on the screen and don't look cool or intimidating at all.

I'm sure there are mods that do amazing things with textures and shadow mapping and everything else, but are there mods that move the weapons closer to the camera or something to that effect? Just anything to make this game feel like the guns are a lot more badass.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Weapon Animation Replacer.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I got CASM after the thread's recommendation, but I can't quit the game on Windows 8 with it: the game hangs up upon exiting. I also had my first crash with a second character in Goodsprings. Is there a troubleshooting faq for it, or has anyone else had similar problems with it? I haven't really found anything except installations instructions for it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Awesome! Thanks!

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
With the WMX-WRP patch stuff, if I'm using the optional Christine COS Sniper skin, do I need to have christinecos.esp checked in my list, or can I safely delete it? I only ask because the WMX-WRP patch says to delete the 357retex.esp, I'm not sure if I also need to do it for the sniper .esp.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Promontory posted:

I got CASM after the thread's recommendation, but I can't quit the game on Windows 8 with it: the game hangs up upon exiting. I also had my first crash with a second character in Goodsprings. Is there a troubleshooting faq for it, or has anyone else had similar problems with it? I haven't really found anything except installations instructions for it.

My game "crashes" every time it quits. One installation and modlist (I've run through who knows how many) it quit properly without crashing on exit.

I've used CASM every single time.

:xcom: XCOM Fallout

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Friggin' CASM, I knew I forgot something important and was wondering why I was missing saves. :saddowns:

but thou must!
Apr 30, 2011

Psion posted:

As for inventory sorting, the game has inventory sort by category built in (or I've been enabling it with a mod by magic somehow) already so...try that first, mod if needed second.

Not sure if by category you mean Weapons/Apparel/Aid/Misc/Ammo, which yeah that's there without mods. Having prefixes added before the item names so everything of a specific subtype (like Books/Mags/Food/Drinks/Alcohol/Chems/Poisons for the aid items) is grouped together in the listings is definitely a mod thing though.

But yeah, like you said, it shouldn't be an issue to add in later on if desired. I just find it adds a lot of convenience to the pretty shoddy inventory UI, without any tradeoff.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Had NV since day one, but there wasn't much mods back then.

Picked up Ultimate Pack from the steam sale, tried to add a bunch of mods, now even if I remove all the mods, this is now a thing.

All my res options are blank when set to full screen 16:9. Setting it to windowed mode lets me choose res, though. (game won't even load with out something selected)

What did I break and how do I fix it?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I'm having some bizarre performance issues at the REPCONN test site. My framerate will start out decent, then go down to something crazy like 20 fps and stay there. Even on low it happen, though there it's more like a drop from 60 fps to 30. Any idea on what's going on here? I tried New Vegas Stutter Remover. And ain't no way it's overheating.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Psion posted:

My game "crashes" every time it quits. One installation and modlist (I've run through who knows how many) it quit properly without crashing on exit.

I've used CASM every single time.

:xcom: XCOM Fallout Gamebryo

Fixed.

Ak Gara posted:

Picked up Ultimate Pack from the steam sale, tried to add a bunch of mods, now even if I remove all the mods, this is now a thing.

All my res options are blank when set to full screen 16:9. Setting it to windowed mode lets me choose res, though. (game won't even load with out something selected)

Have you been playing with ENBs? I can't think of any other type of mod that would mess up graphic settings. Otherwise, you might need a re-install.

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm having some bizarre performance issues at the REPCONN test site. My framerate will start out decent, then go down to something crazy like 20 fps and stay there. Even on low it happen, though there it's more like a drop from 60 fps to 30. Any idea on what's going on here? I tried New Vegas Stutter Remover. And ain't no way it's overheating.

Post your load order. You probably have something/somethings that alter the Repconn area in not nice ways. Could be a conflict, or just a lovely mod. The quest-mod where you rebuild the Bison Steve puts a huge player home up north of Vegas, but I could hardly ever get into it because whenever I got close my framerate would drop like crazy, sometimes even crashing my game.

\/\/\/\/ edit: Uhhh, umm yeah. Don't know what to tell you then.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 17, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

Fixed.

Have you been playing with ENBs? I can't think of any other type of mod that would mess up graphic settings. Otherwise, you might need a re-install.

Post your load order. You probably have something/somethings that alter the Repconn area in not nice ways. Could be a conflict, or just a lovely mod. The quest-mod where you rebuild the Bison Steve puts a huge player home up north of Vegas, but I could hardly ever get into it because whenever I got close my framerate would drop like crazy, sometimes even crashing my game.

All I've got loaded is New Vegas and the DLCs :frogbon:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Before going as far as a reinstall, try deleting your ini files, where graphics settings are stored. It's amazing how many bugs and mod issues are related to those getting screwed up somehow.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Promontory posted:

This is caused by multithreaded audio, I believe. I have no idea why, but disabling that in the .ini should fix the "crash on exit" bug.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
Please tell me there is a torrent file out there for the NMC Texture Pack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Street Soldier posted:

There is not. I posted this exact same thing a couple pages ago and unfortunately the only way to get it is to download it from the Nexus. :(

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
So I just got New Vegas and I'm playing through it for the first time on Hardcore. I probably won't play through the game more than once (though I'll definitely try to 100% it and complete all the DLC), so I'm looking for any mods that make things better without changing them too much. Bug fixes, audio/video stuff, bonus content and the like. Are there any newbie-friendly 'New Vegas Remastered' mods out there like there are for STALKER, or am I stuck installing mods one by one?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

You'll probably need some save-scumming to 100% the game without playing more than once (if by that you mean getting all the achievements ?) - there are multiple endings.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

You'll probably need some save-scumming to 100% the game without playing more than once (if by that you mean getting all the achievements ?) - there are multiple endings.

I just meant that I was going to do everything I can in one playthrough, not an actual 100% run.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

SSGT Anime posted:

So I just got New Vegas and I'm playing through it for the first time on Hardcore. I probably won't play through the game more than once (though I'll definitely try to 100% it and complete all the DLC), so I'm looking for any mods that make things better without changing them too much. Bug fixes, audio/video stuff, bonus content and the like. Are there any newbie-friendly 'New Vegas Remastered' mods out there like there are for STALKER, or am I stuck installing mods one by one?

There isn't a just single mod that you can install, but CASM (for automatic autosaving), Project Nevada (you don't need to use the rebalance features, I use it just for the UI improvements, like inventory sorting and grenade hotkeys) and jsawyer.esp (rebalance & bugfix mod by the project director of the game and a goon, rope kid) is a great starting point.

If you're familiar with Bethesda games and wonder if FNV needs an unofficial fan patch of sorts, stay away from them. The ones FNV has more or less break more things than they fix and additionally do hilariously stupid poo poo like this:

quote:

Y-17 trauma override harness were set female in vanilla despite them being trained soldiers. Set all of them to male.

:psyduck:

Smol fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 17, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The oversight in the game is actually that they aren't marked as both. That guy marking them as male only switched it to be the opposite problem. Being marked as female in the game means they're affected by the +10% damage perks against female enemies, but not male enemies. If they were marked as both it'd be a gameplay contrivance since they'd take +10% no matter which of the two perks you have.

That guy also apparently didn't do his research because scientists and researchers also used the suit.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

When using Nexus Mod Manager, when a mod comes in 2 or 5 parts (core.esm, DLC option.esp, somethingelse.esp etc) it asks me if I want to overwrite files. The first .esp overwriting the .esm I can understand, but wouldn't the 2nd 3rd 4th etc .esp overwriting each other do something funky to the game?

What do "yes to folder" and "yes to mod" do that "yes" doesn't?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have no idea what the options do, personally, but in basically all cases you want to say 'yes' to overwriting with mods that come in multiple parts. Why it asks you that, I dunno. :shrug:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Deleted the NV folder from Documents\My Games\FalloutNV as well as steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas then redownloaded, and it still won't let me choose a resolution. I did "verify integrity of game cache" and it downloaded 1 file, so I ran it again to see if it's okay now, and it seems no matter how many times I run "verify integrity of game cache" it always finds something wrong with the same file.

[edit]

For gently caress sake, I had my AVR (denon) turned off. (I was playing with headphones)

Works fine now.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 17, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Is there a mod that's a bunch of new locations to explore that isn't a buggy mess like AWOP?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Street Soldier posted:

Just leave it downloading overnight... it took me like five hours to get it purely because the Nexus servers are so slow.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

This is caused by multithreaded audio, I believe. I have no idea why, but disabling that in the .ini should fix the "crash on exit" bug.

This worked, thanks!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

kedo posted:

Just leave it downloading overnight... it took me like five hours to get it purely because the Nexus servers are so slow.

Apparently they're getting DDoSed again lately so it's even slower than usual.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Wonder which butthurt modder is behind it this time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AHungryRobot posted:

Is there a mod that's a bunch of new locations to explore that isn't a buggy mess like AWOP?

NVInteriors, basically.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I meant to post about this a long time ago, but apparently the author of AWOP found this thread and all of our trash talking about AWOP being a bloated buggy unbalanced piece of poo poo full of copy and paste locations and oversized enemies (because it is all of this) and he made a big sobby thread on Nexus over how butthurt he was about us trashing his lovely mod, which just lead to the inevitable responses from people trying to suck his dick and say how bad a site they heard Something Awful was. It was glorious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Naky posted:

I meant to post about this a long time ago, but apparently the author of AWOP found this thread and all of our trash talking about AWOP being a bloated buggy unbalanced piece of poo poo full of copy and paste locations and oversized enemies (because it is all of this) and he made a big sobby thread on Nexus over how butthurt he was about us trashing his lovely mod, which just lead to the inevitable responses from people trying to suck his dick and say how bad a site they heard Something Awful was. It was glorious.

My only experience with AWOP was in conjunction with JSawyer, and I'm not sure if it was the two mods combined, or just AWOP its self, but I eventually disabled it because holy hell the game became tedious as gently caress. Though honestly it was my fault for not reading more about it, I figured it just added some challenging dungeons, I didn't think it would turn the powder gangers into bullet sponges.

I didn't know the author was so whiny, though. Jesus christ.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I'm having some bizarre performance problems. This has been going on for a while, actually. All I've got running is New Vegas and the DLCs. Basically what happens is that I'm doing the bottle shooting with Sunny, and I'm looking at the back of the the Prospector Saloon. While I'm looking in that direction, my framerate stays good, but then it'll dip real low to something around 25 fps after a random number of seconds. This weird fps drop happens in other places too. Enough to be really annoying.

Starting a new game doesn't help. I've got the latest drivers for my card. Tried NVSR, the 4GB patch, with and without that d3d9.dll file, all do nothing. I'm at my wits end trying to fix this.

If anybody has any advice for this I'd love to hear it. I just want to be able to play New Vegas again :smith:

Edit: I should add that I have Fallout 3 and this poo poo does NOT happen in that game.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 18, 2013

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Naky posted:

I didn't know that was the general consensus on AWOP. :smith: I've been using it since I started getting mods for NV. Giving it some thought, yeah, it is kind of a piece of poo poo. I guess I've just been in denial since it's the only decently-sized dungeon mod I've found.
I'm not surprised that he acted like that though. The Nexus is just a big circlejerk.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I reinstalled the game last night and downloaded a bunch of mods. After installing the mods, but before even activating them, I started the game to make sure it ran.

It doesn't. It crashes to desktop instantly. All that's currently active is the base game, all the DLC, NVSE, and the 4GB executable.

From previous experience, I know that something that should be loading isn't doing so, but what could I be missing?

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm

Total active plugins: 10
Total plugins: 84

New Vegas doesn't have to be installed to C:\Program Files(x86)\etc\etc\etc does it? It's installed on my G:\ currently. Alternatively, does anyone know if it has any weird issues with 3TB drives? I know Darksiders, for whatever reason, cannot be installed on one or it will crash endlessly.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I didn't even get far enough into AWOP to experience the combat before I uninstalled it, because I was so turned off by the atrocious spelling/grammar and the nonsensical location placement. Why are there huge, walk-in sewers underneath a tiny shabby village like Goodsprings?

I'm picky, I guess.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Alluvion is still up. Seems like we could rehost mods that don't suck, help out fellow goons, and tell the Nexus network to mothergently caress itself in one fell swoop.

If it matters, you can set each torrent private.

For the record I don't have anything significant in the way of mods on me at the moment or I'd be posting links already.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 18, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I work from home so I can seed like a motherfucker if thats all thats required on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is registering for Alluvion broken at the moment? Can't get it to recognize my username, not even my user id.